Hans Diehl

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hans Diehl

Postby f1jim » Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:02 am

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Hans Diehl yesterday. He was a shinning light in the progress of healthy eating. His life is filled with story after story of helping people regain their health and turning around their lives.
He will be sorely missed.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Hans Diehl

Postby Daydream » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:11 am

Chef AJ talked about that yesterday in one of her YouTube videos. I was sorry to hear that. I wonder what he died of?
Daydream

Postby openmind » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:49 am

So sad. It will be doubly sad because some people will use his untimely death to justify eating an unhealthy diet.
openmind

Postby barryoilbegone » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:32 am

Definitely sad news - rest in peace Professor Diehl.

openmind wrote:So sad. It will be doubly sad because some people will use his untimely death to justify eating an unhealthy diet.

Yep, it's sadly possible that some people will try and use something like a stroke to certify that the CHIP program wasn't healthy. Some citations suggests CHIP included small amounts of animal protein (and the modern Pritikin program sadly does) - please someone correct me if you know. If he did, I don't know if that was a factor. We don't know yet either, if it was a stroke, also what that stroke might have been related to. Whilst many are, not every stroke is lifestyle related.

Regardless, Professor Diehl lived till at least the average age for most Americans.

I can't help but think too, given their cancer situations and early risks - and likely both exposed to metals and toxins when younger, of Nathan Pritikin and Steve Jobs here. Both likely outlived their early vulnerabilities for cancer, and their diagnoses for a time. Did they then slow the onset of their illnesses, with their lifestyle changes?

We don't know what Prof Diehl's individual vulnerabilities without his lifestyle changes would have been - if he may also have died much sooner otherwise. That's something people can struggle to grasp, but I hope it's remembered here.

Nobody lives forever, but he lived well, by many accounts. Again, RIP Professor.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby pundit999 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:03 am

It is very unfortunate and sad
Though Dr Diehl lived to be 77 which is about the average life expectancy of men in USA, he lived a vigorous life until the very end, much better fate than the average man.
I wish he had been with us until at least he was in his 90s, to guide and inspire like Dr Esselstyn Dr Campbell and others , but he lived a great life and helped thousands if not millions live a healthier life
You will be missed Dr Diehl. Rest in peace .
pundit999

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:02 pm

Yes, the news of Dr. Diehl's passing is shocking to me! Obviously, if he had died in a car accident, etc., it would still be shocking and sad, but more understandable.

Great points brought up by barryoilbegone.

Back when we used to visit a city where Dr. Diehl's C.H.I.P. program was being run by a local hospital, we so enjoyed being able to eat mostly McDougall compliant meals in many of the restaurants there, but we still had to be careful because some of the offerings contained egg whites and skim milk. So, were those enough to cause an issue for Dr. Diehl and/or those who follow his recommendations? I dare say yes, especially for those who already have previously trashed their bodies. Of course, the frequency and quantities of these animal by-products would make a big difference, too.

I just did a search and came across this article: https://atoday.org/champion-of-health-d ... ies-at-77/

So it looks like A-Fib is what caused his stroke. Is A-Fib preventable with a low-fat WFPB WOE? I don't know for sure, but from what I've researched in the past, I don't think so. And this is particularly troubling to me because my older male relative, who eats a strict low-fat WFPB WOE (the McDougall Program), has very frequent PVC's. It is my understanding that these can be a pre-cursor of A-Fib.

Well, not to get too much into the weeds, but not only is Dr. Diehl's passing very shocking and sad, but very concerning to me in light of knowing that the stroke was caused by A-Fib. It certainly is ashame that when people follow Dr. McDougall's (or very similar) Program(s), that one can still be taken out prematurely by a medical condition for which there seems little can be done. (I am aware of ablation, etc., but still. I know Dr. McDougall also has information by a man, most likely a M.D. who I believe spoke at an Advanced Study Weekend about A-Fib. I'll have to check that out again.)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:41 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1usciyI53o4

A beautiful little clip of Drs. Diehl and McDougall together. I think it's older than 4 years, though.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby debknott » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:04 am

If Afib is what caused the good doctor to die, he may have needed a CPAP machine. My husband and I both went into Afib, and our heart doctor told us to be tested for sleep apnea. We both found that we had the condition and we are now successfully using CPAP machines. Since Dr. Diehl was, of course, a doctor, I assume he knew the connection. But he may have been a person who either refused to use a CPAP, or he may have found it too difficult to adjust to and gave it up. I don't suppose we will ever know exactly what he went through, but untreated apnea can indeed kill. :(
debknott

Postby Faith in VA » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:59 am

This news was very sad. Hans would often come and do courses at Summerfest in PA. What is great about Summerfest, you can visit and talk to all the presenters. I even got to have a lunch with Dr. McDougall and Mary.
Faith in VA

Return to The Lounge