Weston A. Price Foundation

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

10% and 30%

Postby vman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Heretic, While you may be right that no study has specifically looked at the differences between 30% fat and 10% diets, there are plenty of studies that looked at 30% fat (nurses study for one) and found them to be just a little bit better, though not much, better than the SAD diet. The AHA diet is about 30% fat, and it's never been shown to reverse disease the way the 10% diets have.
vman

Feeding trolls

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:33 pm

I wonder what the ideal fat percentage is for trolls?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Re: Feeding trolls

Postby SactoBob » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:24 pm

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote:I wonder what the ideal fat percentage is for trolls?

Good question - but only if we are going to feed him. IMO, best to just ignore these posts. The guy can't believe anybody takes him seriously here.

Let's see, I can go with a program that is thoroughly researched and has been proven to reverse diabetes and heart disease, restore health, and is doing wonders for me, or I can go with somebody with an internet connection and lots of opinions. Tough call.
SactoBob

Re: Feeding trolls

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:13 am

SactoBob wrote:
Good question - but only if we are going to feed him. IMO, best to just ignore these posts. The guy can't believe anybody takes him seriously here.

I totally agree, starvation is our only option.
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby auntemmy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 am

Lacey wrote:
r-marie wrote:So, considering that there is a metabolic theory (protein types, carbohydrat types and mixed) that some of us do better adding a little animal food which was true for me.

As far as I have been able to tell there us not one drop of SCIENCE to support the notion that there are different metabolic types.

Evidence or not, one just needs to look around to see the obvious metabolic differences in people. IMO.
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Curiousity

Postby judynew » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 am

I joined this forum yesterday and find myself immediately reading this thread and wondering.

Heretic, surely with your personal experience of the health benefits of a high fat diet you wouldn't expect to find much here that would be helpful or useful to you in this forum. I am curious to know why you would want to be a "cat among the pigeons" on this site when there are millions of people in the world who agree with your view.

There was a documentary on TV a few months ago about a man doing research with First Nations people in northern British Columbia who had fallen into a junk food diet and were suffering extreme health problems. After they were put back on their traditional diet, which included buckets of oil obtained from a particular fish, they all made great improvements. Unfortunately I only saw part of it and can't remember any of the details. I do remember that a representative of the Heart and Stroke Foundation who was interviewed during the film was clearly distressed at the results but the evidence was there.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." It isn't necessary for us all to agree.
judynew

Postby Zoomer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:05 am

Judynew wrote: I am curious to know why you would want to be a "cat among the pigeons" on this site when there are millions of people in the world who agree with your view.

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote: I wonder what the ideal fat percentage is for trolls?

SactoBob wrote: Good question - but only if we are going to feed him. IMO, best to just ignore these posts. The guy can't believe anybody takes him seriously here.

Heretic is free to continue to waste his time posting here but we certainly don't have to waste ours by reading or answering his posts. In fact I think its a disservice to Dr McDougall and his forum.
Zoomer

Synopsis

Postby Early » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:07 am

Stan Heretic, are you going to contribute a synopsis of the Price foundation philosophy, dietary recommendations, credentials, funding sources and the like?

Best to all,

Early
Early

Postby Lacey » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:22 am

auntemmy wrote:
Lacey wrote:
r-marie wrote:So, considering that there is a metabolic theory (protein types, carbohydrat types and mixed) that some of us do better adding a little animal food which was true for me.

As far as I have been able to tell there us not one drop of SCIENCE to support the notion that there are different metabolic types.

Evidence or not, one just needs to look around to see the obvious metabolic differences in people. IMO.

I cannot believe that there are people whose health is better by eating a high fat/high animal protein diet. As far as I can tell there is no scientific evidence to support any such claim. If there is eviendce I am happy to consider it. The websites I have seen that offer a free test to determine one's "metabolic type" ask questions about how one feels are having eaten certain foods. That there are some people who enjoy the way they feel after eating a huge steak does not change the science that the steak is not healthy for humans to be eating. For too many years I have read about what people should eat that ends up being based on nothing more than the author's opinion. Sorry, I need to see the science. Long ago I stopped reading nutrition books without footnotes. Certainly there are differences in people, but from what I have read about so-called metabolic typing, there are supposedly groups of people whose type means they should be eating animal protein and animal fat to the exclusion of plant foods, based on nothing more than how they feel after they eat. Sorry, but until someone shows me the science I simply don't believe it.
Lacey

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am

Zoomer wrote:
Heretic is free to continue to waste his time posting here but we certainly don't have to waste ours by reading or answering his posts. In fact I think its a disservice to Dr McDougall and his forum.

It certainly is a waste of time, isn't it? From now on I'm just posting a sign:

PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

Whaddya think?
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Zoomer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:25 pm

Mrs. Doodlepunk that is the smartest answer yet!

By the way I can't get to Jeff's website, do you know if something is wrong there?
Thanks/Linda
Zoomer

Metabolic differences...

Postby auntemmy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:45 am

Lacey wrote: I cannot believe that there are people whose health is better by eating a high fat/high animal protein diet. As far as I can tell there is no scientific evidence to support any such claim. If there is eviendce I am happy to consider.

I totally agree with you. I was just saying that there are those that can eat anything and look fairly healthy (check Heretics pic). It seems to me that obvious metabolic differences have a factor in the fat to thin ratio of humans. Also - what we see on the outside is not necessarily indicative of what's happening on the inside of the body. If Heretic is here to recruit (which I doubt) he is out of his element. I think he's just stirring the pot.
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Re: Curiousity

Postby Heretic » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:33 pm

judynew wrote:I joined this forum yesterday and find myself immediately reading this thread and wondering.

There was a documentary on TV a few months ago about a man doing research with First Nations people in northern British Columbia who had fallen into a junk food diet and were suffering extreme health problems. After they were put back on their traditional diet, which included buckets of oil obtained from a particular fish, they all made great improvements. Unfortunately I only saw part of it and can't remember any of the details.

The following articles give more details:
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2005/02/ ... 50211.html
http://www.cbc.ca/thelens/bigfatdiet/

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." It isn't necessary for us all to agree.

Absolutely!
:)

Stan (Heretic)
Heretic

huh?

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:52 pm

what's is with this guy.?????...the articles show fat people...

I am tired of reading his posts, maybe he will be Dr. McDougalls test subject to drink that darn bottle of olive oil...

In the meantime I will ignore anymore posts from a jerk! oy!!!!! :eek:
ncyg46

Previous

Return to The Lounge