Frustrtated Mom of 4

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Frustrtated Mom of 4

Postby Angela » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Ok Moms out there. What are some of your top meals for your children? My 3 yr old is on an, "I don't like that" routine. We are bored of corn, rice, and beans as well as pasta-no sauce. My husband is trying to eat more like the rest of us, but he pretty much eats corn and potatoes for "veggies".

I want them to eat as "real" as possible, so when they are out and about the occasional lesser choice is not as upsetting to their health. Any ideas are warmly welcomed.

Thank you.
Angela

Postby noodle » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Here are some favorites in our house - I have two boys, ages 15 and 21.
They'll eat whatever I make because they are McDougallers too, but they are quick to tell me their favorites!

Pizza - I make my own whole wheat crust with no oil, add pizza sauce, lots of veggies like onions, bell peppers, zuccini, mushrooms. I don't add cheese, but you could use soy or rice cheese.

Mini pizzas - same as above but on a whole wheat muffin

Black Bean sloppy joes from the Quick and Easy Cookbook.

Tostadas - warm a corn tortilla, top with refried beans, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and taco sauce.

I know you said they are tired of beans. So I'm kinda stumped on what to suggest. We all eat LOTS of beans here. :-D
noodle

Postby Lin » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:23 pm

How about mashed potatoes? And mashed sweet potatoes.
My family likes different kinds of soups and veggie chili.
They also love hash browns. My 2 teens love oatmeal, which is probably their favorite food. They don't just have it for breakfast either!!
:D
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby slugmom » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:23 pm

one thing my family likes are make-your-own soft tacos.

I buy whole wheat tortillas (although it's hard to find no added fats ones -- which is worse, added fats or white flour if you have to choose?)

and put out bowls of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, fat free refried beans, seasoned black beans, avocado chunks, and salsa. Sometimes I have cheese and sour cream for the dairy-eaters at the meal, it's an easy way to not have to cook two meals, but let them have what they like.

another favorite is chili. I make a 'regular' chili with tomato and beans and stuff, and I make a 'white' chili with light colored peppers, onions, navy and/or great northern beans, and soup stock, and chili seasonings.

I haven't made them in a long time (just returning to McDougalling, recently) but my kids used to like rice & bean burritos, maybe I'll try those next week.
- Kim

slugmom

Postby victw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:14 am

Check out the sloppy lentils recipe in this months newspaper.

I particularly like the idea to add spinach. If you chop it up fine - I bet the kids wouldn't notice.

I also sneak greens in for us as adults - because with the cool weather we love comfort food like this - aren't as keen to our salad first.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/nov/recipes.htm

I'm also going to try mashed cauliflower. With gravy - how different could it be from mashed potatoes?

Vicki
victw

Postby slugmom » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:28 am

oh, I had mashed cauliflower at a restaurant, once. It wasn't the SAME as mashed potatoes, it wouldn't fool anyone, and I'm sure in the restaurant it was loaded with fat, but it was really good.

I should try them, at least for ME. :) Thanks for the reminder!
- Kim

slugmom

Postby noodle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:24 pm

Angela,

I just made this for my boys today for lunch. I forgot all about it - it's from Food for Life by Dr. Neal Barnard.

Mock Tuna salad sandwhich spread:

1 can of garbanzo beans, drained, then mashed
1 shredded carrot
1 chopped celery stick
1/4 onion, chopped finely
1 tbs. relish (I use dill, not the sweet kind)
2 tbs vegan mayonaise

They really like this spread. I put it on toasted Ezekiel sprouted grains bread with a slice of tomato and a romaine lettuce leaf.
noodle

Thank you for all the ideas

Postby Angela » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:55 pm

We shall see how they go.
Angela

Carroll, could you post some dip recipes

Postby Angela » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 pm

I would like some dip ideas. Thank you
Angela
Angela

Postby herbgirl » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Okay, all of these recipes are not fat free or McDougall (but many can be easily altered). I think this is a great websites for moms with vegan kids.

www.veganlunchbox.com

I don't even have kids and I check this site often (plus I bought her cook book).

Good luck.
herbgirl

Return to The Lounge