Drink Milk, Eat Right, Stay Active ... Get College Tuition

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Annhett, it is BIG BUSINESS...

Postby Clary » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 pm

TennCare, Tennessee's equivalent of Medicaid, is offering a monthly "sweepstakes" to persuade women between 50-69 to get mammograms, and women between 21 and 64 to get Pap Tests. :shock: Every month there is a $50.00 winner from the pool of TennCare (Medicaid/Low-income women)participants ! (How many thousands of dollars of profit there?! ) "You, too, can have a chance to win!..." proclaims the lottery-like announcement.

In the same TennCare publication (not on-line yet) is a separate topic, -- a real push for the "New vaccine for girls" and women between 9 and 26--to encourage TennCare recipients to get the series of 3 shots over a 6 month period for ONE TYPE of virus that CAN cause cervical cancer. The follow-up to the preparatory "Tell Someone" advertising blitz on TV. (Very similar marketing to that for the annual flu shot.)

In the same publication is a reminder that TennCare pays for well-child chekups, and to be sure and get children their checkups at Birth and at 2 to 4 days, and at 1,2,4,6,9,12, 15, 18, and 24 months; and then every year between the ages of 3 and 21! How many possibly escape "the system" with that plan? --or escape the drugging from multiple prescriptions and horrendous nutritional counseling.

I am shocked, appalled, and dismayed that this major "selling of sickness" and "SAD destruction" (including the Milk Marketing to children to be sure they are hooked young, and remain customers all their lifetimes--same plan as "other" drug dealers) is allowed.
Clary

Re: Annhett, it is BIG BUSINESS...

Postby Purdy » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:23 pm

Clary wrote:TennCare, Tennessee's equivalent of Medicaid, is offering a monthly "sweepstakes" to persuade women between 50-69 to get mammograms, and women between 21 and 64 to get Pap Tests. :shock: Every month there is a $50.00 winner from the pool of TennCare (Medicaid/Low-income women)participants ! (How many thousands of dollars of profit there?! ) "You, too, can have a chance to win!..." proclaims the lottery-like announcement.

In the same TennCare publication (not on-line yet) is a separate topic, -- a real push for the "New vaccine for girls" and women between 9 and 26--to encourage TennCare recipients to get the series of 3 shots over a 6 month period for ONE TYPE of virus that CAN cause cervical cancer. The follow-up to the preparatory "Tell Someone" advertising blitz on TV. (Very similar marketing to that for the annual flu shot.)

In the same publication is a reminder that TennCare pays for well-child chekups, and to be sure and get children their checkups at Birth and at 2 to 4 days, and at 1,2,4,6,9,12, 15, 18, and 24 months; and then every year between the ages of 3 and 21! How many possibly escape "the system" with that plan? --or escape the drugging from multiple prescriptions and horrendous nutritional counseling.

I am shocked, appalled, and dismayed that this major "selling of sickness" and "SAD destruction" (including the Milk Marketing to children to be sure they are hooked young, and remain customers all their lifetimes--same plan as "other" drug dealers) is allowed.

I'm not sure what you are dismayed about. In everything you mention (other than the Milk Marketing which is a separate non-TennCare issue) I find nothing out of the norm.
You may have an issue with mammograms, but as you know, even in discussions on this board, many are not convinced either way, and in the general medical world it is certainly promoted.
Mammograms are not a completely clear issue. Lot of opinions on both sides. I don't think TennCare participants deserve only one side but they need to be offered the same choices others expect when joining a HMO type of service and as far as I know almost all HMO's offer and even encourage mammograms.
As to the other items TennCare offers and encourages, I don't see what you are upset about.
Pap Tests no good?
Cervical cancer vaccine no good?
Early child health care visits no good?
Polio vaccine no good?

Whats the alternative? Never take your child to the doctor? Avoid all the valuable parts of the medical care system because a few parts are suspect or even bad?

I'd say a wise person keeps well informed and utilizes the many valuable services modern medicine offers while not buying into all the current nutritional advice the average doctor gives out.
As far as TennCare goes, I'd say the the lower income residents need to know what is available for their health in terms of prevention, EVEN if they don't include proper healthy nutritional advice in the package.
I'd say it would border on child neglect to not take your child into doctor visits. There are several items which if caught early can be corrected, but in which no amount of perfect eating later on can cure.
Purdy

Milk is just gross

Postby Mallow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:35 pm

I've caved, and have been cooking two meals, one for my family and one for me. Yes, yes, even after all my big talk about third party arbitration with Marie Callendar, my husband was suffering and almost depressed eating food he just didn't like. Since he's not heavy, or ill, I couldn't see forcing the issue anymore.

Anyway, even after I told them I'd cook them whatever they wanted, my family still doesn't want milk! They used to drink it regularly on cereal and the like, but now that they're not used to it, they think it's gross. Which it is!

I saw a sad documentary last night called "Fat Fiancees," about how girls in this African community are fattened up to be suitable brides. You know how they did it? Gallons of fresh, whole milk, every single day. It featured a 17 year old girl who didn't want to leave her parents, being forced to marry and get fat. She wanted to stay home with her parents and finish school, but wasn't allowed to. She was so depressed, it was painful to watch. She was kept in a thatched hut for five months before the wedding, and wasn't allowed to do anything but drink milk all day. It showed her grandmother coming in with a stick, telling her she'd beat her if she didn't finish her milk, etc.

Whether women are being coerced/forced to be thin or fat, either way it's wrong.
Mallow

Re: Milk is just gross

Postby funcrunch » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:01 am

Mallow wrote:I saw a sad documentary last night called "Fat Fiancees," about how girls in this African community are fattened up to be suitable brides. You know how they did it? Gallons of fresh, whole milk, every single day.

This was in an African community? Beyond the obvious abuse issues, that doesn't even make sense, as people of African descent are overwhelming lactose-intolerant.
funcrunch

Return to The Lounge