Is there Soy Isolate Protein in soy milk?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is there Soy Isolate Protein in soy milk?

Postby marybeth0051 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:34 pm

I recently heard that soy isolate protein is not good for a person and can promote tumor growth. I make my own soy milk from beans. Would this have soy isolate protein??...or is it only in processed soy foods??
marybeth0051

Don't worry!

Postby S B » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 pm

Homemade soy milk (that is made from beans that you cook, puree and strain) does NOT contain isolated soy protein. However, it does contain naturally occurring soy protein that has never been separated from the soy beans.

Isolated soy protein is just like its names says -- ONLY the protein isolated or removed from the soy bean and NOTHING else. Home made soy milk contains naturally occurring carbs, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, etc. -- and NONE of these have been sepatated from the beans and then mixed back together to make soy milk.

BUT you should be aware that isolated soy protein (and sometimes "free" oil) is in some brands of soy milk -- but NOT in all. Just read the labels very carefully if you purchase any ready-made soy milk.
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

soy protein

Postby marybeth0051 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:59 pm

thanks for the info!!...sounds like sticking to unprocessed foods is the healthiest thing to do.
marybeth0051

It's also in vegan mayos

Postby victw » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:24 am

The milk thing was new to me. I was browsing the list of approved foods. And was suprised when the WestSoy Non-fat milk was not on the list. The low fat is on the list - but not the non-fat. At first I thought this was an error. And then I looked at the label. It has isolated soy protein in it. Uggh - now I have to find us a different milk sub.

So I was trying to cheap out by buying the low fat vegan mayo at Trader Joe's - turns out it also has isolated soy protein in it. So I'll have to stick to nayonaise.

The funny thing is that I wasn't a big milk or mayo person before McDougalling - but there's always some recipe where there isn't really another good sub. So I keep these things on hand.

Vicki
victw

Return to The Lounge