More About Isolated Soy Protein

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

More About Isolated Soy Protein

Postby DianeR » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:16 am

I guess I could have put this post in either the health or newsletter forums. However, given the other isolated soy protein thread and the fact that more people seem to hang out in this forum (or at least this is my perception ...), I decided to post here.

I didn't realize until the new newsletter the dangers of this food. Am I the only one? I thought it was something to limit because the foods that contain it are often higher in fat and lack fiber, that's all.

Specifically, I am referring to the following two passages:

"Osteoporosis is due to gradual loss of bone tissue (not just the calcium) primarily from poor nutrition and secondarily from lack of exercise. Acids from the high animal protein Western diet cause the major damage to the bones.3 The bones provide most of the alkaline material to buffer this dietary-derived acid from cheese, meat, poultry, seafood and isolated soy protein-based foods (fake meats and cheeses). "

"[The study's authors]They proposed that milk protein causes a rise in the body of a powerful growth hormone, Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1), which in turn promotes acne. ...
... You should know that all animal proteins, as well as isolated soy proteins, cause a significant rise in IGF-1 levels in the body."

This is sorry news to be because I love fake meats and cheeses. :( I haven't been having much recently since I was in weight-loss mode. But I thought I could start having some again since I'm at the maintenance stage now.

Are there other dangers out there from this stuff? I think I need all the mental ammunition possible to keep myself away.

Or is it not so bad if you don't need to lose weight, you have lots of alkaline foods to counterbalance it, and you don't have acne?
DianeR

Postby DK » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Check out the April 2005 newletter article on soy. The last part of it is about isolated soy protein. http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... 0pusoy.htm
DK

Postby DianeR » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 am

Thanks. I had forgotten this article, obviously. Nothing like selective memory when faced with unpleasant information, huh :lol:

I guess my Boca Burger, Smart Dog, Tofurkey days are behind me. :(
DianeR

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:45 am

DianeR wrote:
I guess my Boca Burger, Smart Dog, Tofurkey days are behind me. :(

If you take a look at the newly updated Approved Foods List on Dr. McDougall's web site you'll see that Boca Burgers, Smart Dogs, Gimme Lean, and loads others are listed on the low-fat meat substitutes page. Heck, even Yves veggie pepperoni is listed!

http://www.drmcdougall.com/pack_burger.html
VeggieSue

Postby DianeR » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:20 am

I've seen that list before, hence my my blithe use of such products in the past.

However, how do you square this with what he says about the problems with isolated soy proteins, in the two passages in the current newsletter I quoted and the article in another newsletter DK provided a link for?
DianeR

Postby DK » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:15 pm

Okay, that's the list people have been posting about. I didn't see that list. On the "richer foods" meat substitutes page there's a paragraph at the top about isolated soy protein and how products primarily containing it are not on the list. Interesting. Perhaps the low-fat list has not been updated in a while, or maybe there's something else going on here.
DK

Postby DianeR » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:28 am

DK, thanks for emailing Dr. McDougall about this and sharing his reply --
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=
DianeR

Return to The Lounge