June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Zoey » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:13 am

Nevermind, i see we were posting at the same time, Mark. Thanks for the update!
Zoey

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks Mark,

Sorry for any inconvenience. I knew they were working on an update to the website/forums but was not aware it was going live today.

Looks like there may be a few kinks. I have let the IT team know about Friday's posts being missing and they will get back to us. If you see anything else, please post it here or in the Lounge

Thanks
Jeff
JeffN

Postby chef16 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:24 am

05/28/2021 226#
06/12/2021 229#
gained +3#

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 85%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.85%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 60%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).50%
6. Eliminate any added oil.90%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.50%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).90%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 90%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 40%

Sorry I missed last weeks reporting. Even though I have been off the program I promised myself I wasn't going to let this go. If I gain every pound back I am going to report it. There is an excuse of course :crybaby: My sister and my best friend are both very sick. My friend is coming out of the woods she started physical therapy last week and will probably be able to drive soon. My sister will be fighting this long after summer and into next year . We are praying that she will make it. Test after test they keep finding thing . None have been good and a easy fix. I have also been laid off and most of my exercise comes from my job. I keep trying to get back to eating right and do okay until, I am out running around ,eating out, waiting in waiting rooms with vending machines and stress eating all the time. I know that excuses are a waste of time but sometimes life over runs you .
Doreen
chef16

Postby Drew*# » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:20 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.3 lbs (189.6 lbs.)

MWL checklist

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I started doing this...I would frequently have soup or salad (no dressing) before a meal. On average 2 out of 3 meals.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2.5 out of 3 meals per day on average.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No added sugar except ketchup 2 X. My salt consumption is too high, period. Will work on this to stay within an acceptable range below 1200 mg (currently a little over twice that on average).
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Done. 0%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Mostly done with some soy product and avocado added on one or two days.
6. Eliminate any added oil. I am working on getting on reducing the fats. I have not added oils however to cooking this week except for one day.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 3 out of 7 days. Better than before.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Done.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. For the last 3 days or so I have calculated my mood (meaning rating for hunger) before and after a meal. I am making an effort to eat when hungry or a little hungry, but not too hungry or very hungry. So this means being aware of when I need some food to keep me either satisfied or neither hungry or full. I am also trying to be aware of how the food makes me feel so that I do not feel overly full. So far this is really helping and it might also be good to do this with snacks since I occasionally ate some non-MWL foods like crackers.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Averaged at least 30 minutes of moderate or high intensity exercise per day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

The first day of the week (Saturday) was a bit of challenge. This week I am making an effort to be mindful of how I feel with the MWL foods to satisfy the need to eat when hungry.
Yesterday I again did 1 hour of kickboxing on a pad and circuit-like exercises. Next time I need to tape my knuckles along with wearing my gloves.

Recap: MWL to satisfy eating needs, be mindful about mood as defined above and do a minimal journal using #s from 1-10, get work done, dinner (wife's cooking). Maybe jog today or tomorrow for 40 minutes...

Things can improve the MWL way!

Drew*# (formerly Drew*)
Drew*#

Reporting for June 11 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for June 11

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Trish88 - Woo-hoo! Attention to adherence with a focus on the 50/50 recommendation is clearly paying off. :nod: Those lingering cravings should continue to fade, but can also suddenly burst back in these early days, so having adequate, minimally processed starches on hand and ready is key. Keep at it!

Gimmelean - Really solid week!
Gimmelean wrote:I found myself saying no to candy, cake, sweets, and really meaning NO without pretense or regrets.
I think that is fantastic. It must feel quite liberating, right? Practice may not guarantee permanency, but it sure makes things get easier. :D Have a great week!

Zoey - Excellent adherence! You are doing so well, and deserve to feel proud of your efforts, but I can also understand the need to share, vent, and seek empathy when faced with those countervailing feelings. You are so right that the vibrant, efficacious person that you are living as each day will be looking back at you from the mirror some day. Also, the image that you see at present may be colored by memories of the past and expectations for the future. Rather than measuring yourself against an idealized standard, what would you think about assessing against where you were when you started your journey? I think you are standing in a very favorable position, with sunshine on the horizon. :)

chef16 - Recent events have given you a lot of worries, difficulties and challenges, which can't have been easy to manage. I know it is easy to say and hard to do, but might you not feel much better, happier and more able to cope with stress by eating healthy foods and adhering to the fundamental principles? Feeling great, and building esteem has to help, right?

Drew*# - Down 2.3 lbs! Nice results! Satisfying hunger by eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion is absolutely the key to the program. :nod: Keep working toward closer adherence where you have the opportunity to do so - a simple journal seems like a valuable tool for that effort. :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - June 11, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Please note - I replied to each posted report in the post above. My apologies to everyone whose post disappeared during the site transition. If you posted on Friday and I missed recording your results before they vanished, please feel free to let me know your weigh-in result and I can update the summary for the week.

By my count, 12 participants reported for our second June 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the second Friday in June:

Week ending 6/11/2021: 12 participants reported a total change of -8.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Chef16 +3.00
Bunsofaluminum +1.00
PonysPlants +0.80
Total gains: +4.80
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
Wfpb2020 0.00
Gimmelean 0.00
Zoey -0.20
Rebecka22 -1.00
Frowsyowl -1.60
HoustonJason -2.00
Drew*# -2.30
GreenFroG -2.60
Trish88 -3.70
Total losses: -13.40
Cumulative group loss for June 2021 to date: 14.50 pounds
Average loss for week ending June 11: 0.72 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, June 18, 2021.

Congratulations to everyone who participated this week, including those whose reports and assessments fell down the "memory hole." I'm so sorry for any confusion and inconvenience, but what is really important is that you continue to make the effort in changing your pattern of behavior to support your health and weight loss goals. It can feel pretty easy to view any misstep, hurdle or disruption as a reason to let our behavior lapse; instead, I would challenge each of you to look at this new week as a bright new opportunity to live your best life, and act in a way that leaves you feeling vibrant, healthy, and contented. Challenge yourself to do your very best. :D

Thank you for your patience and for making this a really wonderful group. Take care and be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby texaslil » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:50 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
+1.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO, HAD AVOCADO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO, ATE VEGAN PIZZA OUT
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO, PIZZA
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I'm kind of glad that my post disappeared.. haha, it was me feeling sorry for myself, a bit of a rant and 'poor me'. to sum it up, I'm essentially feeling very frustrated that I cannot get past my plateau, while at the same time feeling very happy and proud that I have lost 25 lbs during my first year of the wfpb woe AND have kept it off! So essentially I believe I have reached my set point (I saw a video of Dr. McDougall discussing this and it was very helpful) and will need to make more effort to get past that. Any guidance or tips on that would be very helpful.

Thank you so much for all of your support! enjoy your Sunday!
texaslil

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:24 am

This was posted today in someone’s journal. I am sharing it here because it so aptly defines the benefits of the MWL program.

However, one big difference between the diets of the past and doing MWL today is that it really doesn't feel like a diet. I never feel hungry. I am able to fill up and not feel cheated. I don't have to count calories, and other than visually sticking to a 50/50 plan (50% unprocessed starch and 50% vegetables), there are no portions to fuss over. No weighing and measuring. No strict planning out of the next day's menu. No sense of shame, regret and guilt if hunger appears and extra food is eaten. As long as I'm sticking to the 50/50 plan, I am free.

Yes, I am free.

I am free because this is so easy and simple. It is not a diet. It is an eating plan that allows you to live your life without ever having to go hungry and get angry because you're so damn hungry.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Noella » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi, Sorry, Mark, I missed posting on time yesterday! I had left it to the last minute and then received an important video call that and I missed the posting window.

No change this week!
1. :) 7/7 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. :) 7/7 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. :crybaby: 6/7 (One restaurant meal with way more salt than I am accustomed to on MWL) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. :) 7/7 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. :) 7/7 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. :crybaby: 6/7 (One restaurant meal that definitely had a lot of added oil! I have suffered with knee and hand pain ever since!) Eliminate any added oil.
7. :crybaby: 6/7 ( That same restaurant meal I had a samosa) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. :) 7/7 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. :) 7/7 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
10. :) 7/7 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

I had one very rich meal of vegan Indian food and while the spicy flavours were fantastic, the amount of salt and oil was over the top. I guess I thought I could get away with it because I've been following MWL diligently for months. But I couldn't. The salad and the rice was MWL compliant but the other vegetable dishes were not. I had a flare up of pain with the osteoarthritis in my knees especially, but my hands too, the very next day!. I could barely walk and my knees felt incapable of supporting me and my gait is altered. Both of my knees were very similarly affected and that's what makes me quite sure the flare was diet related because when I overdo exercise its usually much more my left knee that gets sore. Well, here I am, six days of VERY careful MWL eating later and my knees are finally starting to feel a bit more stable and the pain is going down and my mobility is improved. I don't know for sure that it was from the one restaurant with extra oil and salt meal but I can't think of anything else in my life that was different than usual either than that.

I am learning the hard way that MWL eating works. Maybe the pain will help this lesson to be learned. I need more info on diet and arthritis.

Best regards everyone, I hope you all had a way better week than I did!
Noella
Noella

Re: Mark's Replies for June

Postby Noella » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 am

Zoey wrote:

I've had a good week of compliance and physical activity. But now I have a new problem. I am feeling SO good, and yet the mirror still shows an overweight flabby old woman. It's quite cruel. I feel like if I never saw my reflection, I would be this bundle of energy and confidence. Then reality just shatters me. I know everything will catch up and even itself out eventually. But it's really messing with my head right now. I'm in no danger of quitting... just needed to whine a little. :roll:

Mark Cooper wrote:
Zoey - Excellent adherence! You are doing so well, and deserve to feel proud of your efforts, but I can also understand the need to share, vent, and seek empathy when faced with those countervailing feelings. You are so right that the vibrant, efficacious person that you are living as each day will be looking back at you from the mirror some day. Also, the image that you see at present may be colored by memories of the past and expectations for the future. Rather than measuring yourself against an idealized standard, what would you think about assessing against where you were when you started your journey? I think you are standing in a very favorable position, with sunshine on the horizon. :)

I benefitted greatly from reading Zoey’s posting and Mark’s response. Very much so. I can relate and needed this reminder and encouragement to compare myself to where I was when I started my journey. Thank you Zoey and Mark!

85 pounds and 1 and 1/2 years ago I remember looking in the mirror and thinking I looked fine in my new Christmas outfits. I was ready to party! I had recently retired after 40 years as a kindergarten/grade one teacher. I had good overall health, no medications and a success identity. Then I saw a photo of someone in my kitchen with my daughters and I couldn’t figure out who it was. The person was fat and unattractive and their clothes were loose fitting and unflattering. Then I realized the person in the photo was me. I was wearing designer clothes, a scarf, jewelry, and makeup but it didn’t help to hide a thing about the excess weight I was carrying. These things hadn’t improved my overall appearance one bit. They were a distraction, at best, and none of these things could hide my obesity, sore knees and low energy. At that time, I couldn’t go for a leisurely walk, never mind a hike in the alpines, or take a paddle in a kayak ( how would I get in and out of it without assistance?!) or cross country ski. I could barely get up and down from the floor to play with my new grand babies and the arthritis in my hands made it hard for me to pickup and hold my newest grand baby. I couldn’t walk up and down our stairs the normal way and had to take one stair at a time. One of my daughters is a doctor and she described a time when she had assisted an orthopedic surgeon during a knee replacement surgery. Her description of how he did a knee replacement scared me. I had also read that a few people die shortly after knee surgery and 20 % aren’t happy with the results.

Getting my weight within the normal range has meant regaining the ability to walk, climb stairs, cross country ski, having energy to garden and do housework.

As my body has become slimmer and more shapely I have regained health and energy, and I’m working on improving my overall appearance by choosing fashion that’s flattering for mature women. Here is a link to a short video called 10 wardrobe essentials for the French Look. It’s by Justine Laconte, and it’s one of several of her videos that has helped me to redefine my style as I am continuing to lose weight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ttUu6pE8g. I have followed these ten tips for wardrobe essentials and I feel great going out and about wearing these. I even got two unsolicited compliments from complete strangers the other day when I was out shopping and wore dark navy jeans, a crisp white long sleeved fitted shirt with a black belt, black shoes and carried a nice big leather bag.

Noella
Noella

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:25 pm

texaslil - A given point of equilibrium results from the prevailing pattern of behavior one is maintaining. To lower that point of equilibrium (i.e., continue weight loss), we must move the pattern of behavior toward a more calorie dilute diet, lower in energy density. The best way to do this is by implementing the recommendations described in the MWL 10-Point Checklist as consistently as possible. To my mind, the best explanation and guidance for how to overcome a plateau is in Jeff's article Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them. In this post, Jeff frames "set point theory" in a behavioral perspective.
JeffN wrote:I would argue that the set point theory may exist but not as commonly believed. That our weight is not the result of a certain predetermined number that our body fights to maintain but that our weight is the result of our maintaining an environment and a certain set of behaviors (diet, activity, etc) in a "zone" that we are most comfortable with. If we change these behaviors (the difficult part), we change the resulting weight and/or set point. Granted, this is not easy, but can be done. So, the question is, are we returning to a certain number/weight, or are we returning to a certain set of behaviors that result in that weight?

Did everyone's set point rise dramatically in the last 25 years? Or is this the result of a change in the environment and the behaviors related to energy balance including an increase in the availability of inexpensive calorie dense food, and a environment that encourages a sedentary lifestyle?

Noella - I can totally relate to that experience of even a single rich meal being followed by a flare-up; my own chronic pain condition seems very responsive to dietary "indiscretions" - that is one of the reasons I adhere so strictly to MWL. I will admit, though, that it took me an embarrassing amount of time to make that connection, and it still took several of those "object lessons" for the knowledge to stick to the point of informing my decision-making. :oops: I found your description of your progress, and the contrast between how you felt before beginning this journey and how you are feeling today very gratifying and joyous. It sounds like you are making your way through the world with style and grace. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Zoey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 am

texaslixl - I hate that your 'poor me' post disappeared, since that's the mood I've been in, too. But congrats on 25 pounds gone, wow! I know you're frustrated with the plateau, but we know the results will follow, even though not always on our timeline. Aaarrrggghh!

Noella - Thanks so much for sharing some of your story. I've got that feeling of, "What right do I have to feel good and confident and ready to party when I look so bad?" haha
I'm going to watch the video you provided. Thank you so much for taking the time to share the link and the commiseration. You are rocking this program.

Mark - As always, you're too kind. So keep it up. :-D Your words of encouragement are so very appreciated.
Zoey

Postby texaslil » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:45 am

Mark Cooper wrote:texaslil - A given point of equilibrium results from the prevailing pattern of behavior one is maintaining. To lower that point of equilibrium (i.e., continue weight loss), we must move the pattern of behavior toward a more calorie dilute diet, lower in energy density. The best way to do this is by implementing the recommendations described in the MWL 10-Point Checklist as consistently as possible. To my mind, the best explanation and guidance for how to overcome a plateau is in Jeff's article Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them. In this post,

Mark, Thanks so much for sharing the two articles, very helpful. I think I had actually read the plateau one before but rereading it in my present frame of mind was helpful. The piece on set-point theory was also helpful and a good reminder that I DO need to work on cleaning up my environment. Yesterday, I started a new habit, to go to bed by 10 each night. I had been staying up later, 11-11:30 (sometimes later) and I tended to snack. It also caused me to wake up later in the morning than I would like. So, it's my goal to be in bed by 10. This morning it made getting up and going for a walk so much more enjoyable. This will also help me to stop eating at a more reasonable hour in the evening. Do you have any articles to read on when I should stop eating before going to bed? We generally eat a late dinner.. Thanks as always for all of your comments and support!
texaslil

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am

Down about a pound for this week, a total of 3 pounds lost in past 2 weeks.

Hope it's not too late to join this month's group!
So happy to be back & accounting for my actions. Excited for positive changes to come!
Committing more strongly than ever to this way of eating. Here's to increased health & happiness :)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. MOSTLY, a few meals I ate until stuffed.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. YES. Daily yoga & treadmill
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program