July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: July 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:51 pm

July 30. weight change. 0.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 7/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/7. ate more fruit than recommended
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 6/7. ate dates one day
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 7/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 7/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 6/7. (the dates)
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 6/7. made a veggie juice one day
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 2/7. overate most days
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I'm still being very sloppy with the MWL guidelines. I'm eating much more fruit than recommended, eating much more food than needed, and I ate dates one day. I definitely have work to do.
George Ohwell

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 pm

Hi Team MWL!! Have loved reading your journeys and wishing everyone well!! Hope that everyone has a great weekend and a wonderful MWL week!! :-D

Weight Change - 1.6 lbs,
Current weight - 138.6 lbs.
Last Week weight - 140.2 lbs.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, 17/20

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.

:cool: YES 20/20 :lol:

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Have purchased some better / more compliant condiments. My favorite would be Ginger People Ginger Juice, with just Ginger + citric acid. I am not sure why I have a hard time wrapping my brain around (paraphrase)'--- Don't believe anything you read on the front of the package -- ever!! (why the hell do I keep being fooled here?? )

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :cool: YES

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :cool: YES

6 Eliminate any added oil. :cool: YES

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :cool: YES

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :mrgreen: I had Cherry banana nice cream on Sunday. It has been really HOT here and this hit the spot. On the plus side, I did just move the fruit portion of meal from a preload to "dessert".... ;)

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :cool: YES

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :cool: YES
I have met this checklist item and met my step goal. My strength training goal was (scrarily) too aggressive. I will be moving forward to incorporate, but need to find a better fit.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I am so happy to have lost a bit over 20 lbs. in 13 weeks / Q year. Average weight loss is a bit over 1.5 lbs / week which seems to be in alignment with expected loss on this woe...

I am most excited that sometimes my feet want to go faster .... (as opposed to rocks in socks!! )... I am maybe overly conservative on increasing intensity of exercise (risk averse).... but am thrilled to dream of running someday!! :cool:

Have been able to put on my rings that I put in drawer last year. Fingers are less fat. Hilarious (?) that I am stating this??

Thank you so much to Mark and Jeff for helping all of us MWL peeps. Thank you so much to all of the participants on this thread -- we learn from each other!! I am wishing everyone the best --- eat your potatoes!!! :cool:

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby PonysPlants » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:30 am

Gain 0.6lbs this week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO Had 2 slice of toast.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary. NO Didn’t manage every day this week.

Bit of a gain this week, bit of a shame but will keep ploughing on. Nothing much to report. I did have some toast whilst I was waiting for my weekly fruit and veg box to be delivered but no deviations other than that. Haven’t managed to exercise much this week so I need to get back at being more compliant there. These last 5 ish pounds have been no joke. Ha!

Thanks Mark, as always for being such a moderating legend.

Onwards to next week!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.4
7/23/2021. 125.6
7/30/2021. 126

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil.Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No- bread.

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions. My family has been visiting with us for a month and a half. Although I’m up a qtr. lb., it’s a small miracle that I actually lost weight this past month since family dinners at home have been a daily ( wonderful) event that I will miss terribly when they leave today. In retrospect everyone recently has been thoughtful and considerate of my choices and has prepared food I choose to eat either as the main course for everyone or alongside, but it has not always been that way. (Don’t back down, don’t let them see you hesitate, fake it till you make it. Difficult but eventually they will get the message or join in.) Have a good week everyone. Thank you for sharing inspirations and challenges. So glad to have this forum. Mark, thank you for the work you do for us. See you in August!
Gimmelean

Postby texaslil » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:43 am

-.4 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO, Had some Avocado
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO, had rice paper with spring rolls
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I had a lot more yes's this week, so I'm definitely happy about that! I was tempted by avocado again this week, just in one meal but that is all it seems to take to hold on to weight for me. I didn't meet my mini-goal of getting into the normal weight range (164lbs) by the time of my birthday (this Wednesday) AND I'm a bit stressed about my upcoming birthday get away. I"m leaving today to go spend a week with a friend in the PNW. The good thing is that we will have a kitchen and can do our own cooking. I have packed a few recipes (lentils, spices etc.) and hope that I can stay on track. I know it's going to be tough though.. especially given the previous trip's challenges and set back.

Wish me luck!
Laila
texaslil

Postby Belana » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:53 am

Oops!
Forgot the -
* I reported a loss in lbs.
Belana

Postby Zoey » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:18 am

I forgot to weigh this morning!!!! Three cups of coffee and a handful of cherries later, I remembered. And I sure don't get on the scale after that. :paranoid:
But since I did well, we'll just go with no change.
Weight change +/- in lbs: -0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :-D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: No temptations or challenges this week. Feeling fine. But we're on our way to a big family reunion today. Oh mercy, what a spread on the dessert table. I need to stick to the watermelon, oh dear...
Zoey

Reporting for July 30 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:01 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for July 30 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:02 pm

Health 1st - Down another 4.2 lbs! Apart from the bread & seeds, pretty solid week. Wishing you a smooth and easy return to full capability. If you have a microwave, don't forget you can always pop a potato or sweet potato in there for a quick easy meal; add some (microwave) steamed veggies and you're all set for a 50/50 plate. :)

bunsofaluminum - I hope your knee feels better soon, and I'm glad you are feeling less turmoil and more at peace, Heidi. Wishing you the best with your personal goals, and thank you for the kind words.

cmcavazos2 - Kudos for your willingness to report honestly after a challenging week! That "snack room effect" is a pretty powerful example of environmental changes exerting their influence and disrupting our established routines, right Christine? Challenges like this can be a great opportunity for learning and growth; I think your plan to use supportive self-talk, e.g. "that's not my food" and to establish a non-food reward is solid. Those are both things that have worked for me personally in the past. If all else fails, it can be helpful to, at minimum, commit to always eating some adherent food BEFORE deciding to reach for something non adherent; your view of that decision after eating the recommended foods might look different. :D

George Ohwell - Hang in there! You'll be able to get this figured out with time and practice. Why do you think you decided to include the dates and veggie juice? Were there any changes in your environment, routine, or preparation? When it feels like you are overeating, what is the context for those occurrences? Are you finding that specific foods lead toward this, or just generally eating past the point of comfort? Be mindful not to neglect including adequate starch each time you eat for lasting satiety.

VegSeekingFit - Great work, Stephanie! Your consistent progress directed toward adherence is working for you; averaging -1.5 lbs / week is right on track. :nod: Some newly ring-bedecked fingers and feet that want to go faster sound like really fun non-scale victories, too! Cheers!

PonysPlants - I applaud your determination to "keep ploughing on"; adherence over a sufficient duration of time produces results, so perseverance is key. You are definitely correct that saying goodbye to those last few pounds is no joke, for all the reasons Jeff lays out. The fundamental principles will get you there in the end. :D

Gimmelean - How wonderful to have that lovely time with your family! And wonderful, too, that they were so supportive of your efforts.
Gimmelean wrote:Don’t back down, don’t let them see you hesitate, fake it till you make it. Difficult but eventually they will get the message or join in
I love this! Very true; I think, sometimes, it really is a matter of "convincing" other people (by way of our behavior) that, YES, we really are serious about these choices. See you in August!

texaslil - More YESes is always better than fewer, Laila, and worth being happy about! I hope you have a fabulous birthday. It is fantastic that you'll have your own kitchen for meal prep, that makes maintaining adherence MUCH less fraught. :nod: Have fun, be well, and check out Jeff's posts on travel and dining out for help with likely challenges.

Belana - Thanks for that update! :-D

Zoey - :lol: We all get distracted sometimes, right? :D Awesome week; it's hard to ask for more than feeling good and being free of temptation. Have fun at the family reunion, steer clear of the dessert table, and ENJOY that watermelon (what better dessert than that!) Sate your hunger with adherent foods, and crowd out any of those troublesome temptations. :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby Health 1st » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:13 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Health 1st - Down another 4.2 lbs! Apart from the bread & seeds, pretty solid week. Wishing you a smooth and easy return to full capability. If you have a microwave, don't forget you can always pop a potato or sweet potato in there for a quick easy meal; add some (microwave) steamed veggies and you're all set for a 50/50 plate. :)

Thank you, Mark!! Unfortunately I don't have a microwave, but appreciate the idea
:) I'm hoping I can make some potatoes in the IP later. As wonderful as Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes are, they are getting old. I'm really looking forward to a real, whole potato. :nod:

Hope you have a great weekend!
Health 1st

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:22 pm

Health 1st wrote:Thank you, Mark!! Unfortunately I don't have a microwave, but appreciate the idea
:) I'm hoping I can make some potatoes in the IP later. As wonderful as Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes are, they are getting old.
Along those lines, I eat a SUPER simple IP meal for lunch almost everyday: I use the steam setting with 2 Cups of water, and fill my steamer basket with a pound of frozen veg, a half pound of greens, and a large potato or sweet potato. 15 minutes in the IP, natural release, then the steamer basket gets dumped into a bowl and mixed with NSA canned diced tomatoes and seasonings, stir, and eat. I save the 2 cups of steaming water in the fridge to use for vegetable stock, too.
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - July 30, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for July 30 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for July 30 - Part 2

By my count, 17 participants reported for our final July 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the final Friday in July:

Week ending 7/30/2021: 17 participants reported a total change of -15.50 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Cmcavazos2 +1.00
PonysPlants +0.60
Gimmelean +0.40
Rebecka22 +0.20
Total gains: +2.20
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
Bunsofaluminum 0.00
George Ohwell 0.00
Louie3084 0.00
Zoey 0.00
Texaslil -0.40
Noella -0.90
GreenFroG -1.00
Squealcat -1.40
VegSeekingFit -1.60
Belana -2.20
Angelea -3.00
Gabby7 -3.00
Health 1st -4.20
Total losses: -17.70
Cumulative group loss for July 2021 to date: 64.95 pounds
Average loss for week ending July 30: 0.91 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, August 6, 2021, in the August MWL group thread.

And with that, we bring July to a close! Congratulations to all participants for you efforts throughout the month; attending to the recommended pattern of behavior makes progress possible, and determination and dedication serve you well. Collectively, the group reported a total loss of 64.95 lbs! (SO close to 65 ;) )

The August group thread will be posted tomorrow and, if this group continues to serve your needs and advance your important goals, I look forward to seeing you there. Let us really make the most of this final month of summer!

Have a great week, keep your eye on the behaviors, and take care! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Noella » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:08 pm

Health 1st wrote:
Mark Cooper wrote:Health 1st - Down another 4.2 lbs! Apart from the bread & seeds, pretty solid week. Wishing you a smooth and easy return to full capability. If you have a microwave, don't forget you can always pop a potato or sweet potato in there for a quick easy meal; add some (microwave) steamed veggies and you're all set for a 50/50 plate. :)

Thank you, Mark!! Unfortunately I don't have a microwave, but appreciate the idea
:) I'm hoping I can make some potatoes in the IP later. As wonderful as Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes are, they are getting old. I'm really looking forward to a real, whole potato. :nod:

Hi Health1st, I don’t ever use a microwave either. Here is what I like to do: I cook a large batch of potatoes, usually about a dozen medium sized potatoes at a time, either by boiling or baking, once or twice a week. (They keep well in the fridge for as long as it takes to eat them. Many days!) To reheat the cold potatoes, I simply slice one or two potatoes, per serving, and place these slices carefully on top of just steamed veggies, putting the potatoes in the pot right after the veggies are cooked. I then put the lid on the pot and after about two minutes the heat inside the pot has heated the potatoes to perfection and my whole dinner is ready to serve. Usually takes a couple minutes to steam our favourite veggies and then another couple minutes, off the heat, to reheat the sliced potatoes placed on top of the steaming veggies.
To plate our dinners I carefully separate the veggies and potatoes, arranging each vegetable and the potatoes on the plate. I sometimes garnish with fresh herbs. It’s so quick and easy, and you can reheat the potatoes in the exact same time it takes to eat your starter salad. No chance of anything getting burned as the heat is turned off.
This method works great at home and when camping, too! One pot to clean up! Try it. It works for cooking one or two vegetables at a time and reheating not just potatoes but other favourite starches, too.
Last night I steamed diagonally sliced carrots for two minutes on high heat, then I added chopped chard and cooked for two more minutes, turned off the heat, then I added sliced pre-cooked potatoes on top of the steamy veggies. While my husband and I ate our salad of sliced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, the potatoes got heated through and I served the chard, carrots and potatoes garnished with finely chopped chives. It was so delicious, and so easy, too. No fancy tools needed, just one simple saucepan!
I hope that helps to give you some ideas!
Noella
Noella

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
Health 1st wrote:Thank you, Mark!! Unfortunately I don't have a microwave, but appreciate the idea
:) I'm hoping I can make some potatoes in the IP later. As wonderful as Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes are, they are getting old.
Along those lines, I eat a SUPER simple IP meal for lunch almost everyday: I use the steam setting with 2 Cups of water, and fill my steamer basket with a pound of frozen veg, a half pound of greens, and a large potato or sweet potato. 15 minutes in the IP, natural release, then the steamer basket gets dumped into a bowl and mixed with NSA canned diced tomatoes and seasonings, stir, and eat. I save the 2 cups of steaming water in the fridge to use for vegetable stock, too.

Mark,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner. :? Thank you! This sounds delicious + very easy!! I will try it!! :nod: I really appreciate your sharing it!
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:07 pm

Noella wrote:
Health 1st wrote:

Hi Health1st, I don’t ever use a microwave either. Here is what I like to do: I cook a large batch of potatoes, usually about a dozen medium sized potatoes at a time, either by boiling or baking, once or twice a week. (They keep well in the fridge for as long as it takes to eat them. Many days!) To reheat the cold potatoes, I simply slice one or two potatoes, per serving, and place these slices carefully on top of just steamed veggies, putting the potatoes in the pot right after the veggies are cooked. I then put the lid on the pot and after about two minutes the heat inside the pot has heated the potatoes to perfection and my whole dinner is ready to serve. Usually takes a couple minutes to steam our favourite veggies and then another couple minutes, off the heat, to reheat the sliced potatoes placed on top of the steaming veggies.
To plate our dinners I carefully separate the veggies and potatoes, arranging each vegetable and the potatoes on the plate. I sometimes garnish with fresh herbs. It’s so quick and easy, and you can reheat the potatoes in the exact same time it takes to eat your starter salad. No chance of anything getting burned as the heat is turned off.
This method works great at home and when camping, too! One pot to clean up! Try it. It works for cooking one or two vegetables at a time and reheating not just potatoes but other favourite starches, too.
Last night I steamed diagonally sliced carrots for two minutes on high heat, then I added chopped chard and cooked for two more minutes, turned off the heat, then I added sliced pre-cooked potatoes on top of the steamy veggies. While my husband and I ate our salad of sliced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves, the potatoes got heated through and I served the chard, carrots and potatoes garnished with finely chopped chives. It was so delicious, and so easy, too. No fancy tools needed, just one simple saucepan!
I hope that helps to give you some ideas!
Noella

Noella,

Please forgive my delay in getting back to you. :( Thank you for all those details--great ideas!! :-D I do remember having reheated cooked potatoes like that in the past, but it was a l-o-n-g time ago, so thank you for sharing! All your ideas sound yummy, easy, quick, + healthy--a winning combination! I will be sure to incorporate your ideas in the weeks to come. Again, much thanks!! :)
Health 1st

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program