My accountability . . .

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My accountability . . .

Postby PattyC » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:09 am

I am struggling - so I'm trying a new strategy. I just created a "weight loss ticker" and I'm going to post once a week, at least, for weight loss notification. I seem to be able to stick to a plan much better when I'm reporting to or competing with someone. I just can't seem to do it strictly for myself.

To top it all off, I have a feeling that I'm going to be watching my DH go "down the tubes" from his lifestyle choices. He's got problems and I'm feeling that it's going to be something serious. You would think that would be my incentive along with watching my mom die from the same choices - both so unwilling to change and get better, but, so far, I can't seem to grab ahold of that.

Wish me luck you wonderful people and anything that you can offer that might possibly implant itself into my head to break my self-sabbotage would be greatly appreciated. I have all of the book knowledge of who I am and, why I'm here on this earth and I have the tools, skills and information to make this work (and I know it does!!!) but I just can't seem to get on board permanently.

I never, in my whole life, thought I would be participating in a board such as this but I've been mostly lurking for several years and I am so in awe of all of you.
Pat

PattyC

Postby Doris » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 am

Posting and reading the posts on Dr. McDougall's message board really do help. There are a lot of supportive people here. Enjoy your McDougall Journey! I wish you success. :)
Doris

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:40 am

It might help to also view this as a life style change, and if you eat something ILLEGAL it's not the end of the world, just get right back on the wagon with us.

It's pretty cool that you chose a butterfly as your ticker indicator thingee, a symbol of new life.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby noodle » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:48 pm

I think this is a great place to find information, ideas, and encouragement. You have already made a step in the right direction. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, one day at a time. Perhaps your husband will take notice of your sucesses and join in too.
noodle

Postby Bri » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:31 pm

I agree with the above responses. I came out of lurkdom too just so I wouldn't feel so alone on this journey and I wanted to stop falling off the wagon so to speak.

I agree posting and gathering ideas from the board helps. I'm currently working on coming up with new strategies to help me out in my problem areas.

Dr. McDougall wrote a chapter (12) in the MWL book that addresses goals and obstacles in establishing a healthy way of life. You might want to read it or review it depending on where you are.

A quote I highlighted in the above chapter that fit me was, "One of the greatest obstacles to weight loss is not your inability to follow the program, but your lack of faith in yourself." Especially as I am the only one eating in this lifestyle.
Bri

McDougalling for both health and weight loss
Bri

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:42 pm

Hi Patty , :-) Glad to have you here :-D

We are posting our weight loss every Saturday on the Roberta's Corner Forum, you should join us. :) We post our starting weight, the weight we are that morning and our goal weight. How's that for accountablilty :-D

Regarding your husband... you can only change one person and that is you. He has to want to do this on his own as SAD as it seems, you can not force someone to change their lifestyle it has to come from within.
Hopefully he will see the changes in you and decide he wants to live a better life too.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Thank you all

Postby PattyC » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:28 pm

for your warm, friendly words of encouragement.

I so related to the the comment about having "faith in yourself" - I've failed so many times that I just continue to figure that I'm going to fail again and just that little bit of a depressive attitude is what keeps the success seemingly out of reach.

Sunny, thank's for bringing up the Saturday weight loss post. I probably should do that too. As far as the DH goes, we've been having this disagreement for probably the 12 - 13 years that I've worked on McDougalling. That's the truly SAD part about it - he sees that I can work circles around him and that I have so much more energy and that I have lost the first 30 pounds by doing what I'm doing, and I'm off all meds but thyroid and a low dose of BP meds until I get my act together, I have no acid indigestion, I am very regular in the bathroom, and my blood tests are much better than his, and he still thinks he's got it handled. This is one time that it's going to be just awful to be "right" and to watch him go down. He's one stubborn man!

Thank you all for your good thoughts and your friendship. I haven't given up - I just need to stop messing around and do it!!
Pat

PattyC

Wow... Patty...

Postby Sunny » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:36 am

You have already done alot for yourself. Congratualtions on your weight loss and getting off most meds. :-D

Keep up the good work!!! :D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program