All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby TracyAnn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 am

yesterday:

breakfast: big bowl of instant potatoes.
Supper: 5 baked potatoes with some kind of seasoning powder. Salt free vegemite I think.
I also made a HUGE sweet potato to eat at work for a second supper but work got so busy that I just didn't get a chance to eat it until now.

I am hungry, but to tired to cook anything so when I wake up I am looking forward to breakfast right away. Hash browns or baked potatoes? I might get crazy, slice them up and roast them in the oven. :)
TracyAnn

Postby Jordy Verrill » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 am

I believe that the monotony of the potato challenge is starting to work on me. I'm sitting here absolutely craving a big giant bowl of mashed potato SNAP. Yesterday I was craving a big veggie sandwich (I don't always follow MWL 100% and do eat bread now and then), but today all I want is potatoes. I'm also dropping weight real easy this week. So yeah, I'm loving the potato challenge.
Jordy Verrill

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 am

VeggieSue wrote:
vgpedlr wrote:Created the ultimate snack yesterday.
Baked potato sandwiches.

Believe it or not, this was an actual recipe in one of the early McDougall books.

Really? Do you which one? I have some the old out of print books and I never saw it. I did find the baked potato salad which I love. Chunks of cold baked potato topped with a green salad. Great hot weather food.
vgpedlr

Postby seacat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Good Morning, Just had a sweet potato and a banana for breakfast. Then cooked up some russets and had about one or two, so I am grazing a bit today. My clothes feel looser and i feel lighter, but I never know whether to believe these digital scales or not. I have had three of them, and don't understand how or why they fluctuate so much, esp. if you weigh yourself a few times say, over the course of 30 min. I know that the MWLers always submit their losses in tenths, so I am asking if everyone is confident with the accuracy of their digital scale numbers? Or is it just me and my scales?

I am trying to stay away from the scale, but when you feel lighter, you want to see it in the numbers (at least I do!) Just wondering.

Hail to the potato! Keep up the good work everyone, we are doing it!
seacat

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:50 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Really? Do you which one? I have some the old out of print books and I never saw it.

As it turned out it wasn't an *old* book but the Quick and Easy, the next to last one released. Right there on page 7 - Joe's Breakfast Sandwich, consisting of 1 baked potato, 4 slices of bread and ketchup.

Hey, Debbie - here's another recipe where the potato serving size is half the potato! At least it specifies *large* potato here.
VeggieSue

Postby TracyAnn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Today's Menu Was A Whole Lot of Potatoes:

B: Large, cold sweet potato
S: plain hash browns
L: a bunch of small russets with paprika, salt and pepper
S:1/2 cold sweet potato with Nayonaise
Supper: 5 small russets with Nayonaise, salt and pepper
drinks: unsweetened hot chocolate, stevia sweetened herbal tea

I also had a spoonful of peanut butter when making my son's sandwich, but at least it was just ground peanuts nothing else added.
TracyAnn

Postby KittyMcKnitty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 pm

B: Not hungry
L: Leftover sweet potato soup
D: Baked potato sandwiches
Proud member of S.P.U.D.S. (Society for the Protection of Underrated and Devalued Starches).
KittyMcKnitty

Postby seacat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 pm

B 1sweet potato and one banana
S cooked russet potatoe
L cooked potato with broccoli
S fruit salad, 4 red twizzlers, raw veggies
D yam and russet cooked together with more veggies

About 2 hours after lunch I became famished and was in the city so I bought some raw veggies, and, don't know why, but snapped up some candy for energy from the sugar! About an hour later had some fruit salad. I was kind of light-headed at the time too. I thought I had brought enough for lunch but apparently not. Tomorrow's the final day! Looking forward to my oats, rice, etc. How 'bout you?
seacat

Postby PineappleTraci » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Day 4 of Potato Heaven:

b part1 - nearly a pound of cooked carrots eaten in the car on the way to work, plus part of a russet potato -- both plain
b part2 - rest of that russet potato (it was huge) with hot sauce
l - second russet potato, plus various vegetables from the salad bar at work (mushrooms, onions, and sugar snap peas); my potato got dunked in a bit of ketchup and my veggies got a slight dousing of soy
d part1- third russet potato, eaten in the car on the way home from work
d part2 - one bunch of collard greens, cooked and doused with tamari
fluids -- several thermoses full of cocoa powder mixed with coffee substitute.

Comments:
The monotony of this is really charming! I walk down the produce aisle each night, and my check list has only three things -- potatoes, collards, and carrots.
PineappleTraci

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 am

VeggieSue wrote:
vgpedlr wrote:Really? Do you which one? I have some the old out of print books and I never saw it.

As it turned out it wasn't an *old* book but the Quick and Easy, the next to last one released. Right there on page 7 - Joe's Breakfast Sandwich, consisting of 1 baked potato, 4 slices of bread and ketchup.

Found it, but that's not at all what mine looked like. No bread. I used baked potato halves to replace the bread in a typical sandwich.

Yesterday (Day 3 for me)
B: 2 baked sweet potaotes
S: 2 steamed Japanese sweet potatoes sicedwith lime juice and sriracha
L: leftover colcannon
D: potato carrot cauliflower curry
vgpedlr

Postby azalealilac » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

how do you make colcannon?
Earlychurchtruth.com

azalealilac

Postby see_katie_run » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm doing the March MWL challenge, but I come over here to get inspiration from what you all are eating. Last night I read about the potato sandwich, sounded delicious, so I decided I'd have one for lunch. As I made it, the thought of a bunch of low-carbers watching me create a sandwich ON a potato for bread, WITHOUT any meat on it, came to my mind. It made me laugh! :lol:

Thanks for that recipe. It tasted fabulous, and I'm about to go and make myself another!
What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down. -Mary Pickford

see_katie_run

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 pm

azalealilac wrote:how do you make colcannon?

It's a traditional Irish recipe for mashed potatoes and greens. Eliminate the milk and butter. You can use either cabbage or kale. Make mashed potatoes. While the potatoes are cooking, steam the greens. When everything is done, combine the greens with the mashed potatoes, add sliced green onions salt and pepper. Mary's recipe had the mixture baked at 350 for half an hour, but I skipped that step because I was hungry.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm

see_katie_run wrote:Last night I read about the potato sandwich, sounded delicious, so I decided I'd have one for lunch. As I made it, the thought of a bunch of low-carbers watching me create a sandwich ON a potato for bread, WITHOUT any meat on it, came to my mind. It made me laugh! :lol:

Me too. I giggled while I ate one. Then giggled again as I ate another!
vgpedlr

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:46 pm

You guys have terrific timing! I just started a...potato hack...of my own (I didn't know this was here until seacat pointed it out) well... :unibrow: will i be stealing menu ideas from this place :D

I'm eating potatoes and greens until the end of the month, at least. That's about ten days, which is about right, eh? In fact, i think colcanon will be my dinner tonight. YUM!

thanks for the terrific fun reading through alla y'all's posts, and thanks for the great meal ideas.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program