All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: All Hail the Potato Challenge!!

Postby seacat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:54 pm

Well I guess I know why it's called a "challenge" now! Today was interesting, but I stuck with it and just ate a potato when I was hungry:

B Hashbrowns, ketchup
L Boiled potatoes and veggies with ketchup and mustard horseradish
S nuked potato with salsa
D boiled sweet potato and salad

I feel ok hunger-wise. If I am hungry before bed I know what to do! I need to plan a little better for tomorrow. A friend came down and we went to Ikea cafeteria, and then shopped a little. I had already eaten so just had some tea with her while she ate.

Pam
seacat

Postby Debbie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 pm

KittyMcKnitty wrote:Fruit isn't usually allowed on an MM (I don't think),

vgpedlr wrote:Fruit is a DQ. The point of Mary's Mini and the potato hack is to introduce some real monotony so you eat only what you need.

Why wouldn't fruit be allowed on a Mary's mini?

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm
The diet follows the basic principles of the McDougall Program: starch-based with the addition of fruits and vegetables, but limits food choices to one kind of starch and repetitive selections of green and yellow vegetables and fruits. The same starch and vegetables are eaten everyday.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby PineappleTraci » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 pm

The diet follows the basic principles of the McDougall Program: starch-based with the addition of fruits and vegetables, but limits food choices to one kind of starch and repetitive selections of green and yellow vegetables and fruits. The same starch and vegetables are eaten everyday.
[/quote]

Thanks Debbie for the clarification!

OK, well I coincidentally made it through the day without fruit anyway (brought carrots to snack on instead). My "repetitive vegetables" are going to be carrots and collards, because that's what I ate. I ate a satisfying amount of those red potatoes -- I did not skimp on quantity one bit. Heaven to eat baked potatoes just in the car between the gym and work, with nothing at all to distract from the flavor!

Just a side note, but the co-worker I usually have lunch with at my full-time job *never* looks askance at my eating habits, and doesn't she totally rock? Lately I've been bringing my own oatmeal, and then mixing in savory stuff from the salad bar (stuff like kidney beans, celery, and olives) and then add in some soy or hot sauce. She's never once made the slightest comment, and acts like it's the most normal thing in the world.

(She and I sometimes comment on what's on the salad bar -- sometimes there are greasy things, like an oily couscous dish, or an oily olive and cheese concoction -- and she will say, "I guess you could put that on your salad *instead* of salad dressing, but it's way too rich to eat by itself" -- so she really is very in synch with the principles of calorie density, and using rich foods as condiments only, without really following this WOE per se.)

Anyone else reporting in tonight or am I the cheese that stands alone for now? (Edited to add: Maer, seacat and Kitty, you totally count too! I am just such a late-night weirdo that your posts seem to me like they were written *ages* ago. I am a crazy night owl, so don't mind me at all!)
PineappleTraci

Postby happyleo1000 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 am

great idea, it is making me really think about what I'm putting in my mouth :lol:

B; nuked kumara with homemade capsicum and red onion jam

snacks all day; boiled potatoes

L; diced potato, pepper, tomato, shredded lettuce with a dressing of mirrin, tamari and chopped coriander.

D; roast vege salad, kumara, onion, carrot, parsnip, mushrooms, yum yum,

feel gr8 today, have done a 12 km walk now having a wee shiraz with my yummy dinner :nod:
happyleo1000

Postby Samsy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 am

Yesterday went well although I felt I ate a bit much, but I went to bed satisfied (stuffed!). I did crave some fruit at one stage (I have a box full of luscious plums eyeing me every time I open the fridge!).

I lost a pound overnight :D , but probably just a co-incidence.... :unibrow:

So I according to the rules I have too much variety...will work on that all important monotony today.

These are my planned meals:
B: spinach cooked with tomato followed by cold potatoes
L: steamed veg mix followed by cold pots
S: cabbage, potato, mustard pot (cooked in pressure cooker)
Snacks if necessary: carrot sticks and more cold pots

Walked/jogged 5K.
Samsy

Postby seacat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 am

Anxious to start day 2 of the potato challenge. I have potatoes on the stove and in the oven. I do not plan on eating alot of fruit, just vegetables mainly as a side. We'll see. I re-read the article about the WA st. potato commissioner who ate 20 spuds a day back in 2010 for 60 days, and got some much needed inspiration from it, esp. his ending numbers, weight, cholesterol, etc.

I think I mentioned I was born in Idaho. Well, in fact my family (on my Dad's side), were all potato farmers. We kids used to play hide and seek in the potato cellars-fun. As you can see, this challenge has my name all over it!

Back later with mý food recap.
seacat

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Debbie wrote:
KittyMcKnitty wrote:Fruit isn't usually allowed on an MM (I don't think),

vgpedlr wrote:Fruit is a DQ. The point of Mary's Mini and the potato hack is to introduce some real monotony so you eat only what you need.

Why wouldn't fruit be allowed on a Mary's mini?

My mistake. Since fruit is often restricted my mind went all the way. The focus on one starch made me think fruit was off.

As for the potato hack itself, the main idea seems to be to eat potatoes as plainly as possible with no accompaniments. Some seasonings or sauces, and occasional dishes adding some low calorie veggies.

I'm trying for a mid-point between the extreme hack and Mary's Mini. Potatoes as simply as I can.

Today:
B: Sweet potatoes with cinnamon and cloves
L: Red potatoes with lemon, seasoning and parsley
D: Colcannon

I love it that the Paleo crowd thinks our staple is some special, powerful "hack!"
vgpedlr

Postby TracyAnn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Yesterday went pretty good.

Breakfast: baked potatoes with ketchup, small handful blueberries
Lunch: cold boiled potatoes with nutritional yeast
Supper: plain baked potatoes and kombucha tea to drink
Snack: cold baked potatoes and dates

I forgot how much I love cold potatoes. I cooked a few before work and left them out in my car. During a break I came out and they were nice and cold! (I live in the midwest, still pretty wintery here)

:| I feel like I won't have time to make a potato salad this week. I always seem to be on the run. I went out and bought some Amy's Honey Mustard today and some fat free Veganise. I also forgot about dehydrated potato flakes....Haven't had them for years. Actually I hated them as a kid, (grew to like them... )I am going to stop and get some tonight on my way to work...

Just had breakfast, which was a big plate of veges and a cup of hot cocoa. No starches yet, washing out the pot for more potatoes.
TracyAnn

Postby Maer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm

So-so today....kept with the potatoes, but am starting to wonder if all the white potatoes are aggravating arthritic tendancy, so starting tomorrow, will switch to sweet potatoes. Too bad.

B: microwaved russet potato and collards
L: microwaved russet potato and broccoli with vinegar and dijon
D: microwaved russet potato with mushrooms and spinach, later a sweet potato with cinnamon (and apple).

I've been enjoying this good food.

Maer
Maer

Postby PineappleTraci » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Day 2 of potato heaven:
Nuked 5 red potatoes and about a pound of baby carrots in the AM and then headed off to work. Ate two as breakfast, then three more plus carrots for lunch (ketchup on taters, hot sauce on carrots).

Two granny smith apples as boredom food in the afternoon.

Came home and pre-nuked my potatoes and carrots for tomorrow. Only ate one small potato with my collards (tamari & steak sauce) for dinner -- am not intentionally limiting quantities, but I am too lazy to go back to the store to get more potatoes for tomorrow.

Two thermoses of unsweetened beverage -- one in the morning and one in the afternoon (coffee substitute with unsweetened cocoa).

Anyone else with an update for today?
PineappleTraci

Postby seacat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 pm

I had a successful day again today, glad to report. I went out to dinner with friends, and we went to Herbivore, a vegan place in Berkeley, so I was able to have mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy and vegetable soup. There was oil unfortunately, but it was minimal I think.

B Two cooked potatoes, smooshed, with ketchup, and a banana
L A baked sweet and russet potato
S Baked potato with salsa, cooked brocoli
D Mashed potatoes/gravy, with veg soup

It's getting easier, and I am not hungry, just adjusting to the potatoes as my only starch is taking it's time, but otherwise doing well. I stepped on the scale this am and had lost 1.8 pounds. I am going to wait til the 5 day challenge is over till I weigh again.

Here comes tomorrow!
seacat

Postby happyleo1000 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 am

another gr8 day,

B; 1/2 cold potato too busy getting lunch ready

L; potato salad made with onion and mushrooms served on lettuce carrot and pepper

D; made oven baked crispy chips out of kumara. parsnip and onion, absolutely nnyum

too busy at work today to get my walk in, so will make it a priority tomorrow ;-)
happyleo1000

Postby coolgreenfish » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 am

i'm in too - i love potatoes! since yesterday i've eaten an entire bag of organic russet potatoes. i slice them in half, cover with parchment paper and foil in a 9x13 pan and bake at 375 for 70 minutes. i just keep dipping them in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and it's so delicious. i love the smoked paprika idea suggested here too. yesterday i tried out and loved a recipe for Hominy Casserole www.mwlfood.wordpress.com.
i think she said she found it on this board, originally. i didn't have hominy on hand so i subbed in frozen corn and my husband and i ate the entire pan in one day. excited to make it again. i also love the recipes from www.straightupfood.com. :)
coolgreenfish

Postby PiPhi1993 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:56 am

I'd actually forgotten how much I liked potatoes until this challenge!
Yesterday's food:
Breakfast - cold sliced poatoes
Lunch - Leftover mashed potatoes, green salad with FF dressing
Dinner - Hasbrowns

Today:
B - hashbrowns
L - salad and cold sliced potatoes with salsa
D - I think more hashbrowns, and some swiss chard that needs to be used up.
PiPhi1993

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 am

Baked a five pound bag of organic russets yesterday, but forgot to save some for the colcannon. Doh! Went instead with warm potato chinks, steamed broccoli with salt, pepper, lemon juice and nooch.

Today:
B: baked sweet potatoes with chili seasoning
L: cooked baby potatoes with some cucumber, grape tomato, parsely and lemon
D: Colcannon
vgpedlr

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program