My MWL musings

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My MWL musings

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:20 am

Hi all
I am 59, female and live in the uk.
I have been dabbling on and off with McDougall eating for a couple of years and have pretty much always stuck with the basic premise.
However recently I wanted to implement it more thoroughly into my life. Which for me meant ditching fats. Particularly for MWL.
So I've ditched the fats.
My first week has seen a 5lb weight loss.
Let me explain that I am not hugely overweight either. At 5ft nothing and weighing 115lb (now 110) I am considered normal weight.
However I realised that Dr McD recommends aiming for the Kempner weight goals.
I now see that what we consider to be normal weight is actually quite well padded weight.
In my case people see me as small and slim. In reality under the clothing I have a pudgy belly and fat thighs. No not me being negative but actual fact. Now I know that in terms of who I am this doesn't make a difference. But I want to be a more attractive who I am. And to me that means smooth thighs which are not riddled with cellulite and no muffin tops.
I have not done a ton of exercise this week. I don't do a lot as am currently suffering chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia. However I have just tried to make more reasons to go out for a walk, even if just down to the shops for a bag of onions. I have tried to be active in other areas too like walking around while I am having a conversation on the phone, or dancing around the kitchen while I wait for the kettle to boil.
My diet has been fairly simple. My starch choices have been quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, peas. Mainly my veg has been carrots, onions and brocolli. I have a very low budget so I buy the moderately priced veg. I have had the occasional courgette/zucchini. At the moment in the shop I can get a lovely marrow for 99p so I am enjoying that. I sprinkle a few spices on my veg before I cook them, Ajwain and cumin are my favourites. Or I add finely chopped ginger or ginger and garlic combo.
Fruit is an ocassion all treat. 1 is a price factor and 2 is I don't do well with fruit. However I did buy a bag of frozen mixed berries which I will be using with rice as a breakfast for weekends.
So that's it so far.
Glad to be part of the community.
I will continue to post and hope that I will inspire and help someone else on their weight loss journey.
Weight on 16th July.....115lbs
Weight on 23rd July.....110lbs :D
Will it matter in 10 minutes. 10 hours. 10 days. 10 weeks. 10 months. 10 years.
Strawberry60

Re: My MWL musings

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Strawberry60 wrote:Hi all
I have been dabbling on and off with McDougall eating for a couple of years and have pretty much always stuck with the basic premise.
However recently I wanted to implement it more thoroughly into my life. Which for me meant ditching fats. Particularly for MWL.
Let me explain that I am not hugely overweight either. At 5ft nothing and weighing 115lb (now 110) I am considered normal weight.
I now see that what we consider to be normal weight is actually quite well padded weight.
In my case people see me as small and slim. In reality under the clothing I have a pudgy belly and fat thighs. No not me being negative but actual fact. Now I know that in terms of who I am this doesn't make a difference. But I want to be a more attractive who I am. And to me that means smooth thighs which are not riddled with cellulite and no muffin tops.
I have not done a ton of exercise this week. I don't do a lot as am currently suffering chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia. However I have just tried to make more reasons to go out for a walk, even if just down to the shops for a bag of onions. I have tried to be active in other areas too like walking around while I am having a conversation on the phone, or dancing around the kitchen while I wait for the kettle to boil.
My diet has been fairly simple. My starch choices have been quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, peas. Mainly my veg has been carrots, onions and brocolli. I have a very low budget so I buy the moderately priced veg. I have had the occasional courgette/zucchini. At the moment in the shop I can get a lovely marrow for 99p so I am enjoying that. I sprinkle a few spices on my veg before I cook them, Ajwain and cumin are my favourites. Or I add finely chopped ginger or ginger and garlic combo.
Fruit is an ocassion all treat. 1 is a price factor and 2 is I don't do well with fruit. However I did buy a bag of frozen mixed berries which I will be using with rice as a breakfast for weekends.
So that's it so far.
I will continue to post and hope that I will inspire and help someone else on their weight loss journey.

Wow! Thank you for posting. I am same height as you with same weight issues & goals, uncanny. This is very helpful to me. I just finally took out all the fats to get to the size desired a few days ago, hopefully will start losing soon! I will be following your journey, thanks again :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:37 am

OOnaOwl
Nice to find someone else who has similar circumstances to me.

I have been 100% strict this week and moved about much more too.
Jumped on the scales this morning to find I have gained 1.2lb? :-( :?:
Not quite sure how that has happened.
I am not using free form dieting I am actually weighing and measuring. I have followed Jeff Novicks formula for working out how many calories you need and am probably eating under that amount.
I am hopeing it is a blip! Unless of course it is possible to undereat, but I don't think so.
Any way I am now going to join the weigh in thread on Friday. Perhaps someone on there can provide some aid and advice.
I will continue on regardless.
Hope you have success.
I suppose that even with this gain I have still lost 4 lb in 2 weeks!
I wouldn't mind if the loss had slowed or stopped for a while but I just don't understand the gain.
The first week I ate only quinoa as my starch and this week I have had more rice. Maybe my body prefers quinoa!
Best wishes for you. I will be interested to hear of your journey xx
OOnaOwl wrote:
Strawberry60 wrote:Hi all
So that's it so far.

Wow! Thank you for posting. I am same height as you with same weight issues & goals, uncanny. This is very helpful to me. I just finally took out all the fats to get to the size desired a few days ago, hopefully will start losing soon! I will be following your journey, thanks again :)
Strawberry60

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:48 am

I am not using free form dieting I am actually weighing and measuring. I have followed Jeff Novicks formula for working out how many calories you need and am probably eating under that amount.

What formula is that?

As an FYI, any such formula has an error rate of at least 20% and I don't recommend using these formula's. My recommendation is not to count calories (in or out) but to follow the principles of calorie density.

The last 5-10 lbs in general is the hardest to lose and maintain as there is not much wiggle room left. I explain why in this post...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27333&p=272969#p272671

And, it is even harder with less wiggle room for those who are female, especially those who are female and shorter, and especially those who are female, shorter and over 50.

Body weight can easily fluctuate at least 1-2 lbs each day because of fluid changes, bowel changes, hormones, salt, etc

The Kempner weight charts don’t apply to everyone. As Dr McDougall said, the main reason he posted them is not as goal weights but too offer some reassurance to those who think they are too thin.

“Again, the purpose of showing these figures is to help reassure you that you are not becoming too thin on the McDougall Diet – you should not look at these as goal weights.”

Your BMI is 21.5, which is within my recommended range of 18.5-22, where lower is not always better.

I would recommend you read through these threads

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58007

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6916

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52375

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 am

JeffN wrote:

What formula is that?

As an FYI, any such formula has an error rate of at least 20% and I don't recommend using these formula's. My recommendation is not to count calories (in or out) but to follow the principles of calorie density.

The last 5-10 lbs in general is the hardest to lose and maintain as there is not much wiggle room left. I explain why in this post...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27333&p=272969#p272671

And, it is even harder with less wiggle room for those who are female, especially those who are female and shorter, and especially those who are female, shorter and over 50.

Body weight can easily fluctuate at least 1-2 lbs each day because of fluid changes, bowel changes, hormones, salt, etc

The Kempner weight charts don’t apply to everyone. As Dr McDougall said, the main reason he posted them is not as goal weights but too offer some reassurance to those who think they are too thin.

“Again, the purpose of showing these figures is to help reassure you that you are not becoming too thin on the McDougall Diet – you should not look at these as goal weights.”

Your BMI is 21.5, which is within my recommended range of 18.5-22, where lower is not always better.

I would recommend you read through these threads

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58007

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6916

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52375

In Health
Jeff

Hi Jeff
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post, I appreciate it.
Maybe formula was a misleading word! It is not my intention to mislead anyone or misquote. If I explain what I read I hope it will clarify and clear up any confusion I have possibly caused.
The article I read was in a MWL thread. I think a lady had posted that she was finding it hard to shift a final 10lb. Anyway you gave a response and posted a link to a previous response with some calculations. You mentioned that a 300lb person will burn 3000 calories even if very sedentary. To my mind (and this is where I may have erred) this means that if I weigh 115lb then my body will need around 1150 calories even if sedentary. I then figured that I am not completely sedentary so probably use more. This led me to the conclusion that 1000 calories a day would lead to a calorie deficit and therefore weight loss. I also figured that the "formula" then was 1lb body weight needs 10 calories. So as you lose you may need to shift your calories down.
Hope that explains my logic.
I do apologise if I appeared to be quoting you and giving out false information.
Thank you too for your explanations on the Kempner weight loss charts. About 5 years ago I got very close to the suggested weight for my height and think it was a little boney looking for me. But at least I know that it is not an unhealthy weight.
Thank you for posting the links too.
Am suffering from a bit of brain fatigue at present but will turn my full attention to them when I feel better able to concentrate.
Once again many thanks for your informative response.
Strawberry60

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 am

It is a very generic rule of thumb estimate that can be at least 20% in estimating BMR, which doesn’t count in any activity/exercise, or a few other factors that matter.

I used it to help understand a point, for which it can be helpful, but it works poorly to apply it to an individual to base their calorie consumption on.

In that post, I even said...

(I will be using certain averages and rules of thumb here to make a point. They are not perfect but they will highlight the issue)

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Strawberry60 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am

JeffN wrote:It is a very generic rule of thumb estimate that can be at least 20% in estimating BMR, which doesn’t count in any activity/exercise, or a few other factors that matter.

I used it to help understand a point, for which it can be helpful, but it works poorly to apply it to an individual to base their calorie consumption on.

In that post, I even said...

(I will be using certain averages and rules of thumb here to make a point. They are not perfect but they will highlight the issue)

:)

In Health
Jeff

Many thanks.
Ok I've got it, rule of thumb !
Regardless it is a brilliant way of eating for so many reasons and one which I will be sticking with.
I will just tweak my intake until I find what suits me.
I very much appreciate your instructive feed back.
Strawberry60

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 pm

[quote="Strawberry60"]OOnaOwl
Nice to find someone else who has similar circumstances to me.

I have been 100% strict this week and moved about much more too.
Jumped on the scales this morning to find I have gained 1.2lb? :-( :?:
Not quite sure how that has happened.
I am hopeing it is a blip! Unless of course it is possible to undereat, but I don't think so.
Any way I am now going to join the weigh in thread on Friday. Perhaps someone on there can provide some aid and advice.
I will continue on regardless.
Hope you have success.
I suppose that even with this gain I have still lost 4 lb in 2 weeks!
I wouldn't mind if the loss had slowed or stopped for a while but I just don't understand the gain.
The first week I ate only quinoa as my starch and this week I have had more rice. Maybe my body prefers quinoa!
Best wishes for you. I will be interested to hear of your journey xx[quote="OOnaOwl"][quote="Strawberry60"]

Your 1 pound weight increase could simply be from extra water retention from your UK heat wave or something like that. Are you hydrating well? I personally try not to sweat a 1 pound gain as long as the weekly trend is either steady or southward.
Thanks for your reply :). I have cut almost all overt fats from diet and added more potatoes (but still eating oats, rice, & other grains) for my starches. Still enjoying some cashew yogurt & flax meal for digestion, and unsweetened almond milk in my coffee. Down about a pound so far this week. Yes, your 4 pounds in 2 weeks loss is huge progress! That is very fast weight loss for your frame I would say. I was posting regularly in the weekly weight loss thread but gave up a month ago as I wasn't losing anything, it became embarrassing! Now I realize I was probably eating too many overt fats (as you know it is SO EASY to have too much of anything when you are small-it's a very tiny fraction that equals excess!). I will use up my yogurt and try to not buy any until Autumn/when I reach goal weight. The spoon of flax meal is for hormone health so I refuse to give that up (eases menopause symptoms for me). Wishing you a good week!

OOnaOwl

Postby Strawberry60 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi OOnaOwl
Nice to hear back from you.
Thank you for your thoughts and encouraging comments.
Did have a look back at my weighing and measuring strategies, as despite the suggestions that you shouldn't have to do that, I think for me to lose weight then weighing my food to make sure of my calorie consumption is what I need to do.
Anyway I did realise that I had been not very accurate with my calorie counts. So hopeing that having figured that out and now being a bit more accurate things may get back on track.
Also I have a bit of time coming up when I might not be able to be fully in control of my own food, so I have decided to do a few intermittent fasting days in the lead up. Have done this before and although the daily calorie allowance is quite restricted I feel that I have had enough. Anyway I am not going to worry too much about it. I shall eat sensible portions and try and keep to my guidelines as best I can.
It can be a struggle to give up certain foods, particularly if we deem them to be healthy. I will certainly be glad when I can move on from MWL to every day starchivore way of eating. I do miss the crunch of a few pumpkin seeds or walnuts. I know of course that you can only have these things in small amounts but just 10 grams in a salad or over a bowl of hot cereal makes a huge difference to me. Even then I don't think they will ever be a daily food for me again though as they have been in the past.I have seen a very noticeable change in my hair and skin since going fat/oil free. Hair goes much longer between washes and skin seems smoother.
I have gone milk free in all my drinks now. Haven't had dairy milk for years, and even more determined not to touch dairy since watching the video Dairy Is Scary. I think it is quite possibly the most cruel of all the animal food products on the market. Plus it does us no earthly good whatsoever. I used to have soy milk in drinks but discovered quite by accident that it was a major contributor to my migraines so stopped that. Persevered with almond milk but really didn't like it in tea. So I thought lets go black. After all many years ago I used to drink strong, milky tea with 3 sugars. If I can train my taste buds off that I can get used to black tea. It took a few weeks but I can now honestly say I enjoy my tea black. I wouldn't consider having milk in it any more.
I am glad that you had the 1lb weight loss, that's very good news. As you said the small person tends to have more battles. It is surprising where the hidden fats lurk. I don't buy anything with ingredients in any more, but then I do eat very simply which is not to everyone's taste. I want to get together a few dishes that I can give to other people which they will find tasty and enjoyable. I don't suppose there are too many who would want just a plain jacket potato with steamed broccoli and carrots. So one or two entertaining dishes so I don't revert back to old faithfuls have to be learnt.
I honestly don't think that your flax meal is going to do any damage in the long run. Menopause can be a real strain for some I know. I don't think I had too many problems with it per say although pre menopause I did suffer badly from mennhoragia. Looking back that was probably linked to a high red meat consumption and a fairly frequent consumption of alcohol.
If you find the flax is helpful for you and it helps you to feel better during this difficult time then it is probably best to stick with it. I am sure that you have probably done a lot already towards making your menopause easier by eating this way. Think how much worse it may be if you weren't.
I shall stop rambling now.....oh yes you're right, it has been hot here!!
Best wishes to you in your continuing endeavours with your weight loss. I will be interested to hear either way what's going on. Wishing you success xx
Strawberry60

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi again! :)
How is it going for you?
I'm having trouble giving up all the fats, still having a bit each day but less than I did before. I think this lower-but not complete removal-is more doable for me. I am still down a pound or so, perhaps I will lose more this week or next, time will tell. It is hot here now too, and that is also influencing my dietary choices. I want to make some sushi rolls this week, always enjoy those in the heat. I am not counting calories at all, but I stay well under 2000 each day by my rough estimate. This week I am finding it slightly irksome that no one I know eats this way or is even remotely interested in it. It never used to bother me but perhaps it is now because out of town family is here & they are all sick and fat meanwhile I am going running, doing yoga & eating handfuls of greens. It would be nice to share exercise at least, but alas for them that is a table puzzle or at most a leisurely stroll. Cheers!

Strawberry60 wrote:Hi OOnaOwl
Did have a look back at my weighing and measuring strategies, as despite the suggestions that you shouldn't have to do that, I think for me to lose weight then weighing my food to make sure of my calorie consumption is what I need to do.
Anyway I did realise that I had been not very accurate with my calorie counts. So hopeing that having figured that out and now being a bit more accurate things may get back on track.
Also I have a bit of time coming up when I might not be able to be fully in control of my own food, so I have decided to do a few intermittent fasting days in the lead up. Have done this before and although the daily calorie allowance is quite restricted I feel that I have had enough. Anyway I am not going to worry too much about it. I shall eat sensible portions and try and keep to my guidelines as best I can.
It can be a struggle to give up certain foods, particularly if we deem them to be healthy. I will certainly be glad when I can move on from MWL to every day starchivore way of eating. I do miss the crunch of a few pumpkin seeds or walnuts. I know of course that you can only have these things in small amounts but just 10 grams in a salad or over a bowl of hot cereal makes a huge difference to me. Even then I don't think they will ever be a daily food for me again though as they have been in the past.I have seen a very noticeable change in my hair and skin since going fat/oil free. Hair goes much longer between washes and skin seems smoother.
I have gone milk free in all my drinks now. Haven't had dairy milk for years, and even more determined not to touch dairy since watching the video Dairy Is Scary. I think it is quite possibly the most cruel of all the animal food products on the market. Plus it does us no earthly good whatsoever. I used to have soy milk in drinks but discovered quite by accident that it was a major contributor to my migraines so stopped that. Persevered with almond milk but really didn't like it in tea. So I thought lets go black. After all many years ago I used to drink strong, milky tea with 3 sugars. If I can train my taste buds off that I can get used to black tea. It took a few weeks but I can now honestly say I enjoy my tea black. I wouldn't consider having milk in it any more.
I am glad that you had the 1lb weight loss, that's very good news. As you said the small person tends to have more battles. It is surprising where the hidden fats lurk. I don't buy anything with ingredients in any more, but then I do eat very simply which is not to everyone's taste. I want to get together a few dishes that I can give to other people which they will find tasty and enjoyable. I don't suppose there are too many who would want just a plain jacket potato with steamed broccoli and carrots. So one or two entertaining dishes so I don't revert back to old faithfuls have to be learnt.
I honestly don't think that your flax meal is going to do any damage in the long run. Menopause can be a real strain for some I know. I don't think I had too many problems with it per say although pre menopause I did suffer badly from mennhoragia. Looking back that was probably linked to a high red meat consumption and a fairly frequent consumption of alcohol.
If you find the flax is helpful for you and it helps you to feel better during this difficult time then it is probably best to stick with it. I am sure that you have probably done a lot already towards making your menopause easier by eating this way. Think how much worse it may be if you weren't.
Best wishes to you in your continuing endeavours with your weight loss. I will be interested to hear either way what's going on. Wishing you success xx

OOnaOwl

Postby Strawberry60 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:28 am

OOnaOwl wrote:Hi again! :)
How is it going for you?
I'm having trouble giving up all the fats, still having a bit each day but less than I did before. I think this lower-but not complete removal-is more doable for me. I am still down a pound or so, perhaps I will lose more this week or next, time will tell. It is hot here now too, and that is also influencing my dietary choices. I want to make some sushi rolls this week, always enjoy those in the heat. I am not counting calories at all, but I stay well under 2000 each day by my rough estimate. This week I am finding it slightly irksome that no one I know eats this way or is even remotely interested in it. It never used to bother me but perhaps it is now because out of town family is here & they are all sick and fat meanwhile I am going running, doing yoga & eating handfuls of greens. It would be nice to share exercise at least, but alas for them that is a table puzzle or at most a leisurely stroll. Cheers!

Strawberry60 wrote:Hi OOnaOwl

Hi OOnaOwl
Thanks for getting back to me. I understand exactly what you mean about being around people who do not eat or exercise in the same way. I am with family at the moment, visiting my mum who is very old and very ill. I am in charge of cooking fortunately but they still want their meat and fried foods. I have stayed away from the meat and only once very lightly sautéed some veg in a little organic coconut oil. I made coleslaw and dished mine up before heaps of mayo went onto it. Fortunately they had nice red wine vinegar which made an acceptable dressing. I have been sticking to steamed veg for lunch or salad and small jacket potato. Fruit for breakfast.
I don't exercise a great deal as M E and fibromyalgia play a part, however I do walk as much as possible and keep active. People see me walking and treat me like I have been insulting if I refuse a lift.
Isn't it strange how there seems to be a slight hostility under the surface when you do things differently.
Anyway I didn't get to weigh on Friday as I was called away on Thursday and will only use my own scales as they can vary so much. So I will stick to my own and wait until I return home.
My tummy is a little bit bloated and I still suffer constipation. I am gradually weeding things out that I know make it worse. I strongly suspect potatoes may also be an offender. My auervedic constitution suggests they are not my best and I am inclined to agree. Shame because they are cheap and a great comfort food. I have just bought some buckwheat so I shall be trying that out when I get home.
I am glad you are finding ways to deal with your diet. Fat free is not easy I know. My aim is just to be free from free fats. But I am sure the way you are eating is a huge step to improving your health.
I did look over the various videos which explain what even vegetable oils can do to the body and found them very motivating.
And every now and then when I feel Brie cheese or ice cream calling me I watch dairy is scary and the HOPE video.
Hope things go well with you. Glad you are finding ways of coping under difficult circumstances.
Look forward to keeping in touch.
Strawberry60

Postby Strawberry60 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:47 am

Hi, I’m back! Apparently I last logged in March 2020. Not sure exactly when I last posted but seem to think it was around July 2019. So I will just fill in why I have been away for such a long time. Not even sure if I am on the right board here, but if not I’m sure a moderator will put that right! :)
I seem to remember saying I was going away to stay with relatives and sticking to my diet would be difficult. So my breakfast was easy, wholewheat breakfast cereal biscuits with water. Lunch remained a big bowl of steamed veg. Evening meal however frequently contained chicken and also this was where the oil crept in. I was in charge of cooking and dishing up though so always made sure the meals were heavy on the veg.
Anyway, my reasons for going away to visit was because my elderly mum, 93, was not going to last much longer. I went to say me final farewells and we managed another 11 days together. The ending was not peaceful. Our relationship had always been turbulent although I had never let it stop me from caring for her. I think this made the grieving process even more difficult with many mixed emotions. When I returned home it was to being alone and surrounded by not the best neighbours. I sank into a deep depression. Not long after I contracted shingles and over the course of the following 18 months had 2 episodes of lupus flare and plenty of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia thrown in. Bring on COVID which prompted me to move home to be near family. I gave up my secure home in social housing and moved in with my son and wife which worked very well. Then yet another move into the private rent sector with my daughter. A very turbulent year or so all around. So many other fractious things have happened that I can’t possibly put into this post.
Meanwhile I have focused on being very veg heavy with my eating although I would say my scale has been optimal, whole plant.
2nd vegan. 3rd vegetarian. Always as low fat as possible, followed by I really can’t be bothered to think about it. Scales have rarely been stepped on but judging by my clothes my weight is fairly stable.
I am not sure on my starting weight when I signed on here originally but as I know this is one community which won’t judge me I shall be weighing soon and doing my best to getting serious with this way of eating again. It’s good to be back
Strawberry60

Postby Strawberry60 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:00 am

Have just read my last post and it seems my description of my eating plan while away was quite different from what I posted at the time :o ooops, sorry about that. It’s similar to the way I am eating at the moment so I presumed that is what I must have been doing. Time fades a bit of the memory :D
Strawberry60

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program