October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:07 pm

October 2020 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Last edited by Mark Cooper on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Cooper

Re: October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby cbritten101 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm back from a long hiatus from both the program and the forum. But I'm back to try again. I have re-read the orientation information and am ready to start! One concern is going on our first real vacation since January. We are renting a house, though, and I'm the one who likes to cook, so I think it'll be ok! Maybe difficult on the travel days out and back, but I'm committed to make this work.

Thank you so much everyone for this forum and the kind encouragement I have read in all the posts.
Focus on the Journey, not the Destination
cbritten101

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Cbritten101 - Welcome back! Having a working kitchen while vacationing definitely makes things much easier! Here are a couple of resources that may give you some help and ideas for your trip - Travel Food and Dining Out. Best wishes!
Mark Cooper

Postby mjlilovo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:15 am

Hello,

Thank you for offering this forum! I am ready to get healthy again and am excited to start journey in this forum. I live in Los Angeles and the Covid-19 pandemic has made my job more sedentary and my habits less than desirable!

I have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group

Thank you,

MJ
mjlilovo

Postby jaccisimms » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks for offering this forum. I need this accountability. I do so well during the day. It's the 3 days I work in the evening that's a problem.
jaccisimms

Postby curcubit » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:01 am

I would like to join this group. I follow WFPB diet...but have never gone all the way towards the MWL plan...as in I still eat seeds, nuts, avocado, tofu. I have not gained weight, but neither have I lost it! And I would love to loose thirty pounds.

So I am ready to take the next step and appreciate the accountability of having a weekly weigh-in and knowing there are other people out there going through the same process. I have read Dr. McDougall's MWL book and all the orientation materials. I already practice 80% of these 10 steps...it is that last 20% that will hopefully get me the results I am looking for. Good luck everyone.... :-D
curcubit

Postby RebaRox » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:08 am

reread all the material and ready to start again
I was doing really good then my family started coming to visit more as we are all
being careful with covid so we can visit with each other.
but got off my plant based diet when they are around and gain back some of the wt. i had lost
but back on track now and realized its up to me to keep on track so starting today iv made changes
and plan to stick to them. I still have 60 lbs to lose to get to my goal wt. but not going to stress about
it too much, just going to keep working on eating a good diet for me. Have cut out all sugar and flour as of today.
and nuts, soy and avocado. starting a simple exercise program today.
starting wt. today of 188 lbs
RebaRox

Postby 20_dynamite » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:13 am

Hello, I’ve completed my orientation requirements and would like to join the October group. I’m excited yet nervous, so I appreciate this forum. Thanks!
20_dynamite

Postby heathereaz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:24 am

Hello, I’ve read the orientation materials and would like to be signed up for the group! Thanks
heathereaz

Postby NancyNancyR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:32 am

Hello, I would like to be added to the October weigh-in group please. I actually began MWL Monday so I am confident I will be adding a loss on Friday weigh in. Thanks for offering this form of accountability, I'm sure it will be helpful to me on this journey. Nancy
NancyNancyR

Postby Veganjo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:45 am

Hello, I know all the rules and would like to join for October.
Veganjo

Postby mandybee » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:47 am

Yes!!!! Please add me!! I started in September and then fell off the wagon after 3 weeks, mostly with nuts and seeds...those have always been a gateway with me. I don't have a ton of weight to lose but I feel so much better when I stay focused. I've never done the forum but I sure would love the support and accountability.
mandybee

Postby chowbby » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:53 am

I have completed the orientation and would like to join the group. Thank you so much! I am super excited about and grateful for this opportunity.

Teri
chowbby

Postby Noella » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi Mark, Wildgoose and Jeff,
Starting Weight= 240
Current Weight= 168
Goal Weight=140

I have studied the MWL orientation material and I look forward to receiving your written encouragement and reading your supportive words to others in the October MWL group. October 1st is the beginning of my seventh month following the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss dietary guidelines with the support of this discussion group.

Since December 29th, 2019, the day I made a vow to myself that getting healthy was my number one priority, I have lost seventy-two pounds. I lost forty-two pounds in four months following the McDougall Starch based program followed by another thirty pounds over the past six months following the MWL guidelines.

My goal is to lose approximately one hundred pounds.I have twenty-eight more pounds to lose to reach this goal of a normal weight & BMI for my 5’9” height.

Signing up for this discussion group has been the best decision. I felt unsure about sharing my weight loss experiences with others so I was hesitant to join a group at first, wondering what Si had signed up for. It’s all good. I have learned so much from reading about others choosing this method and I have come to understand what healthy satisfying meals are by following the ten MWL guidelines. I have also gained the confidence that I needed to prepare healthy meals for me and my family to enjoy. I have learned that is best to avoid weight loss discussions with anyone, including people who are close friends or a part of my family; I don’t mention anything about how much weight I have lost or how I am doing it. A special thanks to Dr. Lisle for the suggestion to simply smile and say “It seems to be working...” if anyone notices and asks -this has REALLY helped! (Most people do not notice and do not ask) This discussion group is my place to discuss all MWL ways to get healthy and it is exactly what I need to keep going on my journey to better health!
I’m looking forward to losing a few more pounds in October and I hope that every participant in MWL expects and experiences steady progress toward their goals.
Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby Kappagator_96 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi! I have read through the orientation material, and would like to be added to the October group. Thank you!
Kappagator_96

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program