October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby NancyNancyR » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:12 am

2.5 lbs. gained.

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown:
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :thumbsup:
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsdown:
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products :thumbsup:
Don't drink your calories. :thumbsup:
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

This past week I made a 13-hour trip to Dallas to see my family for the first time in just over a year. I went with resolve and a plan to stay the MWL course. But once confronted with multiple meals of take-out food my resolve dissolved. I am back home and back on track, it’s easier when I’m home and cooking for my own household. I am revisiting some of Doug Lisle’s talks on the pleasure trap issues. If there is a November group, I would like to continue posting for Friday weigh-in.
NancyNancyR

Postby chef16 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:29 am

10/23 2020 227#
10 31 2020 226#
-1#
One more gone!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 90%

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. 95%

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 100%

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 95%

6) Eliminate any added oil. 100%

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 95%

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 95%

Been a lot better this week on not eating higher calorie foods like bread and tofu and such. Not 100% but a lot closer. Break is coming and I am really going to try and work on some of the things that need worked on. Even when I take food with me to work I still have slip ups on breaks and other chances to eat things I shouldn't .
Doreen
chef16

Postby Zoey » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:11 am

Well, I've done a terrible job with posting this month, but just fine with the program. I've got to shape up in November and adhere to all 11 points, with number 11 being, "Press SUBMIT!" (Thanks for your kind patience, Mark.)

No loss to report this week, but I'm down 4 pounds for the month, my absolute best ever. That whole 'don't drink your calories' thing sure is helpful!
With today being my official gateway into the holiday season, I'm sure I'll need the support of the boards. As for today, no Halloween candy in sight.

Happy Halloween, everyone. See you in November!
Zoey

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:29 am

Change in rolling average this week: ?#
GW: ~135#

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :)
2) Choose fruit for dessert. :)
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. :)
4) Eliminate all animal foods. :)
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. :)
6) Eliminate any added oil. :)
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. :!:
8 ) Don’t drink your calories. :)
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. :!:
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :!:

Good morning! Missed you guys last week.

Life has been thrown into disorder, with a weird schedule, no access to a scale, and frequent freezing rain that has made the streets impassable. (No access to internet last Saturday a.m., either, which is why I didn't post.) This is where I'm super grateful to having a checklist, because I have at least some objective way to measure my success or struggle that goes beyond weight.

WRT where I need to improve: I think I've been overeating to compensate for the lack of routine. (I really don't like the sense of disorder.) A few times have reached for bread over the brown rice in the fridge without any logical reason. Also, haven't been as active as I should be. I just really prefer my rambly walks with podcasts to a treadmill, but at least I have the option of using one and I know I'll feel better for the movement. In other words, gotta suck it up and do it.

On a positive note, still no booze, no Clif Bars, and I'm on day 7 without any dry cereal.

Suspect I'll be up a few pounds when my new scale arrives but we'll see. In the meantime, didn't want to disconnect from this thread! It's too easy to slip into willful unconsciousness, especially at this time of year.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:00 am

WOW! This is the last day of October 2020...so hard to believe I've been in this Group for 1 month, reporting in each week!

Anywho...Happy Saturday to everyone!!

*Weight Change: -0.2lbs -- Subtle loss but I'll take it!

*Guidelines:
Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant 7/7 days
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant 7/7 days
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate any added oil. Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant 6/7 days
Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant 7/7 days
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant 7/7 days
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Compliant 3/7 days

*Successful MWL Points:
- I already mentioned that my husband is an awesome guy...well, this week he's been upgraded to SUPER! Lol!! He decided the ENTIRE family would eat the way I do this week, well at least for dinner. Lol! He said his goal was to alleviate the stress I feel cooking separate meals each night...one for them, one for me. He also said he can see how the way I'm eating (guidelines I follow) will support better health for the family. So the phrase "we're eating what you eat" became a running joke this week. Haha! I would honestly forget at times and start making them something different. My kids would say, "Mom, remember! We're eating what you eat!" Yesterday I reheated a vegan patty (was trying to clean out my fridge, if truth be told...lol!) for my husband's lunch; it was paired with lightly cooked spinach. He looked at me, held up the patty with his fork and said, "Can you eat this with your guidelines?" I replied, "No!" He said, "Then I can't either! I eat what you eat" We both laughed so hard!! He's incredible!
- I realized my kids can eat according to the MWL guidelines. I was shocked!! I built so many reasons in my mind that I should still feed them not-so-healthy vegetarian (processed) foods, which sounds so weird. They ALL proved my wrong!! I am not switching their entire diet to MWL but I do like the idea of feeding them more meals centered on Dr. McDougall's philosophy on food! This week I realized this: showing them that I eat differently isn't teaching them how to eat better/make healthy choices.
- We do not celebrate Halloween...our family tradition today is called iScream. Our annual custom is dropping in to an awesome, eclectic locally-owned ice cream shop & pigging out. Well, the pandemic has kinda saved me...lol! We decided sitting down at an ice cream shop as a family (many of them are open here) would not be in our best interest this year. So...the family will be eating store bought ice cream at home after dinner. I plan to just have my allotted serving of fruit after dinner, which I feel GREAT about. Everyone knows I am not eating ice cream tonight...and once you tell my kids something, they'll make sure you stick to it. Haha!

*Not-so-successful MWL Points:
- I'm pretty disappointed about my lack of exercise this week! I struggled with major headaches for several days...I even had to cancel a personal training session because of my headache, which is unheard of. My (physical) focus shifted to being functional enough to execute my daily responsibilities, which wasn't easy. I started finally feeling better yesterday. My husband & I were trying to pinpoint the root cause of my headaches...we're at a loss.
- My other non-compliant day was last night. I did MUCH better with handling our Friday night, family take-out. I even read over Jeff's post/article about restaurant ordering BEFORE calling in the order (thanks for the links!)...super helpful! I did eat bread that was on the table :thumbsdown: As I started to grab more bread, I stopped myself knowing that wasn't a good decision to begin with. The "Pleasure Trap" is so powerful! UGH! Well...onward & upward!

*Question:
Will there be a November Weigh-in Group? We are traveling in Nov (headed to the Pacific NW from Denver) and I think being in the group will help me stay focused although I'm a little nervous. I realized this month accountability helps me! During our last family trip (Aug) I had waves of uncontrolled (vegan) eating. We are renting an RV so I will have more control of meal prep.

Thanks so much, Mark & Jeff! I have grown from my time this month in the Forum :D
CUgorji22

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 am

Greetings and a bit late!
Last week 126.8
This week 127
McDougall MWL 10 point checklist

1. Soup/salad meal starter
2.50/50 plate. End with fruit
3.Eliminate sugar/salt
4.No animal foods
5.No high fat plant foods
6.No added oil.
7.No flour, dried fruit. No dried fruit
8.Dont drink calories
9.Eat to comfortable satiety
10.Move more
Mostly good. Not perfect!
Gimmelean

Postby Drew* » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:13 am

Weight on Friday…10/30/2020...

175.5 lb ... -.2 lb
BMI: 25.74

Points of success...

I made a great soup with what I had at the time, no salt added cans of corn, peas, and green beans. The rest of the soup was like JeffN's longevity soup with the water, canned tomatoes and beans. I'm also picking up a crockpot for this coming week to make some soup with dried veggies. I generally had soup before every meal. However, I noticed that eating a salad even if it is a small salad without dressing and perhaps some flavorful veggie really helps complete a meal.

My wife and I are headed to a small yoga group at the Y today and I am going to do some weight lifting tomorrow and perhaps a little today.

Challenges...

This weekend I am out of the soup and need to go one meal at a time and stop and think if I really want an exception.

What needs greater attention?

I could reduce the exceptions of popcorn and plan out meals a little better this coming week...a combination of soup and SNAP with some baked potatoes in the fridge might help. Right now it is an effort to want to want what is healthy and on the MWL plan. I will keep at it and exclude the exceptions on a day-by-day basis.

General impressions

I have not been hungry for food in the mornings. But am eating two meals consistently. The trick will be to have MWL meals consistently. I may try some standard McDougall options Tuesday night, however...with toppings on baked potatoes...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Hope410 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:19 am

Good Morning,

Weight change: -0.0 LBS

Point: 3 was 90% due to using a few canned products that were not salt free.

Point: 7 was 95% from added crackers to my soup and ate 4 sugar wafers during dinner at my brothers house. I locked myself out of the house, so we had dinner there while waiting for the locksmith.

Point: 10 was a real bust this week. Only 1X for 20 minutes.

Observations: Overall I feel my week was going well except for the lack of exercise. I stopped weighing everyday half way through the week which was nerve racking. I wanted to focus more on following the guidelines and 10-point checklist in order to adjust my behavior instead of using my daily weight, which led to erratic compliance issues. Also I'm thinking my lack of exercise may have contributed to some fluid retention. Anyway, hopefully that is the case.

So, my focus next week will be EXERCISE!!, follow the 10-point checklist, and do not weigh until Friday.

Have a great week everyone.
Hope410

Postby galooop » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:33 am

Thank you, Mark.
I’m updating my ten behaviors for last week, as you suggested.

1. Start each meal with soup/salad/fruit: - 1/2 the time
2. 50-50 plate: - 1/2 the time
3. Reduce or eliminate sugar/salt: :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate animal foods: :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods: :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate oil: :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods: :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories: :thumbsup:
9. Eat when hungry and stop when full: - most of the time
10. 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily:
- over 1 hour daily (I enjoy my walks, and I’m starting to like how the YouTube exercises make me feel!)

:-) Chris
galooop

Postby moonlight » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:44 am

Weight + 1 lbs

Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
I can succeed on the preload with soup or salad, I do well with the 50/50 plate practice. I have started moving more. I very rarely drink calories or add oil to my food.

Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
I continue to struggle with night-time snack choices... I did really well for a few days then I fell back into eating cookies... I had another talk with my husband about it. He's willing to help in any way except not buying cookies! I'll figure it out. I've been here before. It is an attitude thing for me. I'll get there.
BTW, Mark, you suggested trying to have an apple first before reaching for the cookies. Thank you! I tried that and it works sometimes. I'm continuing to work at it!

General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
My general sense is that I will find my way out of the Pleasure Trap. I do believe I can do it. I've gotten some good tips from a podcast I discovered recently called Brain Over Binge. I love their approach to overeating. Mainly, the advice is to deal with the urge to eat, rather than trying to find out the why. I'm focusing on the urge. It seems to be working.

Thank you for holding this space for us and giving such good advice in a compassionate and caring fashion. I look forward to reading everyone's entries. I wish you all the best week possible. Thanks to Mark, wildgoose, and JeffN for your kind consideration and wise advice. :D
moonlight

Postby Noella » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi Mark, Wildgoose, and Jeff,

Weight Change: +/- 0

I have just five pounds to lose to be at the very top end of a healthy weight & BMI for my height of 5’9” This feels daunting and exciting at the same time. So, for the next two months, November and December 2020, I plan to continue with MWL and hopefully lose five pounds before the new year rings in. Five pounds to the ‘top of normal’ on the standard weight and BMI charts. This will be a major milestone to meet and one that I believe is totally achievable.

I did quite well this week, although the scale didn’t change.

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.YES
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES I have a question about the very sweet balsamic vinegars, below.
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
Eliminate any added oil. YES
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

My major challenge: The inflammation in my knee joints has settled somewhat so I am taking this opportunity to do more floor exercises and stretches. I’ve been out shopping at the big box stores and I was able to walk through the length of the parking lot and around the huge warehouse without the frequent rests that my knees demanded earlier this month.

My success/observations: I am so pleased to open my fridge and pantry and see all healthy nutritious whole food. My cupboards are well stocked and I love the way the colourful jars of legumes look arranged on the shelves with a colourful nutrient-dense palate.

I am looking for activities to have fun without needing food to be the main event. So I’m having experiencing changes in how I think about having fun.

I have a question about balsamic vinegars. Are these allowed? I bought one that tastes very very sweet and it has a surprising number of calories per serving. It’s all natural, made in Italy, with no ingredients other than the single basic ingredient. Should I keep to the simpler wine vinegar or do you recommend another certain type of vinegar? (I usually dress my salad with a mixture of fruit and vinegar; finely grated apple with a splash of vinegar does the trick for me, so that I totally enjoy my salads before each meal...other finely sliced or chopped fruit like strawberries or pears works great, too)

I wish everyone the best eating and exercising in the upcoming week. The 50/50 plate is straightforward and it WORKS for me. I just look at my plate and make sure it is half vegetables (non starchy) and half starch (whole grains, rice, legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes). It is a delicious, satisfying and nutritious way to regain my health and vitality.

I learn more about healthy eating every week from reading everyone’s posts and from the responses from our MWL leaders. Thank you so much everyone! Most importantly, I am learning to not to give up. Like the children’s story about being brave, The Little Engine That Could: I know I can, I know I can,...

Thank you, Mark, Jeff and Wildgoose for sharing your scientific knowledge, inspiring words of wisdom and support!

Best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noella

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:52 pm

SW: 241.9
GW: 150.0

Last Weigh in: 212.5
This Week: 214

Gained 1.5 pounds :(

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:)
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
2) Choose fruit for dessert.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.
:( Added salt - canned tomatoes with salt was all the store had.
4) Eliminate all animal foods.
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods.
6) Eliminate any added oil.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
:( No exercise at all - walking would be my thing I have set up a rower on my deck but that's not feasible now either?

I gained from last week's bad eating binge and lost most of it except this weight. I'm back on the straight and narrow except exercise.

lmggallagher

Postby Beeshell » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Wt loss/gain: -.8
Total so far: 8 pounds

Struggling still with emotional eating (some chocolate and chips) - exacerbated by a potential looming health issue.
On the positive: I am more able to STOP before things get totally out of control. Meaning, I'ven saying to myself, Habit not hunger. Meaning, its a habit I have of reaching for the unhealthy / off program things - not actual hunger. Also - ate potatoes and steamed veggies on several nights when I didn't feel like preparing anything more.

thanks for your patience and as always the support of this place. Hope to continue on this month.
Beeshell

Mark's Replies for October 30 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:23 pm

wischbone - Down a pound, 9 thumbs-up, and continuing progress on the liquid calories! Seems like a good week, for sure! We've been really enjoying roasted squash (it's been featured in our CSA box the past few weeks), my current favorites are butternut and delicata. Like you, after seeing how simple, easy and delicious this way of eating can be, and taking into account that it also supports my health and well-being, I cannot imagine eating any other way. People don't realize what they are missing out on, right? Keep being the change!

tinathescreamer - Great results! Congratulations on your improved BP and reduced medications! That must have been a very gratifying visit to the doctor. Is there a particular aspect in which you are struggling to reduce added salt? Packaged food, cooking or condiments?
tinathescreamer wrote:I went to a barbecue where I knew food would be problematic so I took my knitting with me and when people asked if I was eating I said I'll have some when I've finished knitting. It made for an interesting conversation starter so I'll be bringing it with me everywhere.
I love it! Excellent idea and thank you for sharing it. :D

jkcook - I'm so sorry you're beset with dental problems! That sounds unpleasant. Blended soups can serve well as a preload (or meal), and perhaps mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes would serve to take things easy on your mouth. Keep trying!

cmcavazos - .4 lbs down! Cheers for doing well with 8 of the 10 recommended behaviors! Do you have some intuition as to why you don't feel willing to omit those particular foods? When you are choosing to include dry cereal, for example, are you choosing that while adherent options are ready and easy to access? Is it a matter of convenience, or more about a desire for those specific foods? Would it be helpful not to consider "letting go" of those foods, but rather do an experiment where you omit them for a week (or two) and see how things go?

Dot - 10/10 and goodbye to another pound! Excellent! Carry on! :D

JaBee - Woo-hoo! 9/10, a substantial loss and under 190! I think your idea to plan some different menus for the week ahead makes sense, especially if it felt like you were becoming bored with this week's menu; you should be able to mix things up for some variety, while still keeping the meals simple and easy to prepare if that has proven helpful. :thumbsup: Onward!

NancyNancyR - Cheers to being back home and back on track! I think travel can really put pressure on our resolve, and that makes sense; it is, almost by definition, a disruption in our established routine, presenting a significantly more challenging environment over which we have less control, and the social dynamics and pressures are often different and more significant, as well. It can be a really difficult challenge to fully overcome, but as long as you are planning and preparing, learning from each experience (whether successful or not) and adjusting for the future, you can ultimately figure things out. There will be a November MWL group; the new thread should be posted by the end of the day on November 1. You (and any other current participants) are welcome to continue - you automatically have a spot. :)

chef16 - One more pound gone! I'm glad you were able to continue making progress toward adhering more closely to the full list of recommended behaviors. Great idea to see the upcoming break as an ideal opportunity to establish solutions for the various difficulties and obstacles that contribute to "slip ups!" :nod:

Zoey - Huzzah! Best month ever! Sounds like you are doing great with points 1-10; that "11th point" can be a tricky one, right? I've had some hair-raising close calls where I very nearly lost a whole days worth of replies, myself! :eek: "No candy in sight" seems like a great way to move into the holiday season. Happy Halloween!

Growing a Pear - I'm delighted to see your post! We missed you, too! Considering that MWL's behavioral approach is largely about habits and routine, it's easy to see how encroaching chaos might throw a wrench in the works. I don't like it when things feel disordered, either. Considering Dr. Lisle's insights into seemingly instinctual drives toward calorie rich foods, changes in our environment, routine, schedule and circumstances can definitely serve to knock us out of the groove and back toward "instinct" or previous patterns. Given that the entirety of the week was free from alcohol, Clif bars and dry cereal, and you adhered closely to 7/10 points, you did pretty well dealing with the disorder, right? Forging ahead, one idea might be to establish (or to whatever extent possible, reestablish) an adjusted routine to account for this degree of chaos and disorder. That way, whether this is a short or long-term situation, you'll be even more resilient to whatever unexpected hurdles come your way.
Growing a Pear wrote:It's too easy to slip into willful unconsciousness, especially at this time of year.
Very true!

CUgorji22 - Happy Saturday! 1 month down! Progress is progress, subtle or otherwise, right? Especially with all those 7/7s proliferating across your checklist. That is SUPER support from your husband! Having that level of cooperation and understanding can really make things easier. Dr. McDougall's Hot Topics page on Pregnancy & Children is a great overview, and very much supports your realizations about how this way of eating can fit the needs of the whole family. I think it's wonderful how you were able to find a way to mark your family tradition in a way that is congruent with your personal goals. :nod: Things like headaches, other pains, or illnesses seem like an understandable reason to adjust and moderate one's level of activity; the important thing is, when feeling recovered, to get back to being more active so that the habit doesn't slip away. Doing "MUCH better" with take-out is a big step in the right direction, just keep working at it. There will be a November MWL group, the new thread should go up by the end of the day tomorrow. Glad to have you continue!

Gimmelean - Cheers for mostly good! Keep aiming to do at least a little better each day / week!

Drew* - The scale is heading in the right direction! It sounds like your preparation and efforts for this week went pretty well. Your idea for having soup, SNAP meals, potatoes and other adherent foods prepared is very sound; taking advantage of the first available opportunity to get those foods prepped is a great way to put that thought into action and support your adherence. :)

Hope410 - Kudos! 100% on 7 points! Being locked out of your home couldn't have been a very enjoyable experience!
Hope410 wrote:So, my focus next week will be EXERCISE!!, follow the 10-point checklist, and do not weigh until Friday.
Awesome! That focus should serve you well. Have a great weekend!

galoop - Thank you, Chris! Quite a few thumbs-up! I have really come to enjoy YouTube workouts, too. Keep doing your best!

Moonlight - Congratulations on the areas where you succeeded this week! I definitely believe you are capable of making your way out of the Pleasure Trap! Is there a variety of cookie that your husband likes, but you don't? Could he switch that up to possibly make things a little less tempting? Continuing to eat the recommended foods when faced with cravings, and knowing that (sooner or later) they will go away seems like the surest way to proceed, given that the troublesome foods are a presence in the environment. Thank you for the kind words, and keep focusing on what works. :)

Noella - You are getting so close to that next milestone! Great work adhering to the recommended pattern of behavior! I'm thrilled that your knees are improving, with reduced inflammation and the opportunity for more activities. A well-stocked cupboard/pantry/refrigerator packed with adherent foods can be such a pleasing sight. And you are so right that there are abundant opportunities to have fun that aren't centered around food. Jeff has a great post on the sorts of balsamic vinegars you are describing - Infused Balsamic or Balsamic Crack?
JeffN wrote:If you are using a basic plain rice, red wine or apple cider vinegars, which have 0-5 calories, I have no problem with it.

If you are using the flavor infused ones (or the reductions or glazes), and they are 30-35 calories per tbsp (or more), understand it is almost the same as using maple syrup and it now counts as an added sugar and you must be very aware of its calorie density, sugar density and its potential impact on blood sugar, caloric intake, etc and its potential to trigger the pleasure trap.

Remember, as I explained in this previous article, concentration is the issue and these infused vinegars are very concentrated. You can think of these as Balsamic Crack :)

A Date With Disaster: The Pleasure Trap of Whole Natural Foods

And so yes, my guidelines for added sugar would apply to them, which is no more then 5% of calories from added sugars.

For someone consuming 1500 calories, it would allow up to 75 calories, which would be slightly more then 2 tbsp of these flavor infused vinegars.

For 2000 calories, it would allow up to 100 calories, which would be just under 3 tbsp of these vinegars per day.

So, if someone is using more than 2-3 tbsp of these a day, that alone is causing them to exceed my sugar guidelines.

And, if you struggle with the pleasure trap, any amount may be too much.
Speaking personally, I'm very sensitive to added sugar and I've found I'm better off avoiding the balsamics described above. I love Apple Cider Vinegar, so that is mainly what I use. Occasionally, I do use regular balsamic vinegar (the kind that is 5-10 calories per serving); even with that, I can tell a difference. I think The Little Engine That Could is a great way to frame our continuing efforts! :D

lmggallagher - Fantastic efforts getting "back on the straight and narrow!" I'm keeping you in my thoughts, and hoping you'll see cleaner air and a less harrowing situation soon!

Beeshell - Progress in the right direction! Congratulations on your cumulative 8 pounds lost! Sorry you are struggling with strong emotions and looming health concerns. I'm hoping you see the best possible outcome with the potential health issue. :) Stay as mindful as you are able about your choices, and keep things simple if that helps. Potatoes and veggies seems like a winner in a pinch!
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - October 30, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:02 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for October 30 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for October 30 - Part 2

By my count, 33 participants reported for our fifth October 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the fifth Friday in October:

Week ending 10/30/2020: 33 participants reported a total loss of -15.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Chowbby +5.00
NancyNancyR +2.50
Lmggallagher +1.50
Jkcook +1.00
Moonlight +1.00
Gimmelean +0.20
Total gains: +11.20
GreenFroG 0.00
Growing a Pear 0.00
Hope410 0.00
Noella 0.00
Zoey 0.00
CUgorji22 -0.20
Drew* -0.20
Cmcavazos -0.40
PonysPlants -0.40
Kappagator_96 -0.50
VivianS -0.60
Abe -0.70
Beeshell -0.80
Wstokes -0.80
Chef16 -1.00
Dot -1.00
Galoop -1.00
Wischbone -1.00
Curcubit -1.20
Mandybee -1.50
Veganjo -1.50
Squealcat -1.70
Tinathescreamer -1.80
CindyD -2.00
Rebecka22 -2.20
Connielovesdogs -2.90
JaBee -3.40
Total losses: -26.80
Cumulative group loss for October 2020: 216.25 pounds
Average loss for week ending October 30: 0.47 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2020: 524.80 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2020: 240.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2020: 172.61 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 6, 2020, in the new November group thread.

Congratulations to all of this week's (and month's) participants! You chose to use October to learn, grow and move toward achieving your important health, wellness and weight loss goals! Cumulatively, our group lost a total of 216.25 lbs this month! That is about two-thirds the weight of an adult, male Giant Panda!

The MWL Weigh-In Group thread for November should be posted by the end of the day tomorrow (November 1); all current participants are most welcome to continue in the new month, no further actions needed.

For November, we are asking, and expecting, all participants for the weekly weigh-in and behavioral check-in to post their reports during the correct time frame, with their change in weight (in pounds), and to assess the week in regard to the full MWL 10-Point Checklist, addressing all ten points, at least in brief. To make this as easy as possible, I'll be posting a template for reporting that can be copied and pasted that everyone is welcome to use. I'll update the Orientation information to reflect our expectations, and include a review with the template in the thread for November when it goes up tomorrow. This group is all about behavior change, building habits, and cultivating self-efficacy; we are going to be strict about these requirements moving forward so that everyone can get the most out of participating here.

Best to all! Have a wonderful weekend and an excellent month to come!
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program