November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 am

Greetings-

11/20/2020 125.6
11/27/2020 127

Weight change +/- in lbs:  +1.4

My 10 point checklist excludes Thursday and Friday when I ate bread,dried cranberries,pecans, pretzels and French apple pie. The quantity of food was also much greater than typical days and I still feel awful. I’m looking forward to a family holiday meal where I feel good before, during,& after! I really really focused on adhering to the guidelines and checklist the other days of this week with success.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).yes
6. Eliminate any added oil.yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).yes

Victories, comments, concerns,
I hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving. We had a very small one compared to prior years and everyone pitched in to help and prepare. The food was beautiful and we of course made way too much because that’s what we do! What I’m most looking forward to now that the holiday is over is getting back on the MWL track, and to what is now my routine before old habits sneak back in and take over. I have to keep reminding myself that one day or even one week will not undo all of the work I’ve done to lose weight and eat healthfully but not to lose sight or let go. I absolutely let go Thanksgiving Day with quantity and quality of foods and yesterday and feel the difference today. You have given us the tools and the structure to get back on track from a lapse. We deserve to feel great. I may just do a mini MM for a few days for a jumpstart. I prepared wonderful MWL friendly foods with the best of intentions for the holiday that are ready for me with no effort starting now.
Be well, be happy, and bring on December! Thank you.
Gimmelean

Postby wstokes » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:44 am

+1.4 lbs
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  
Yes, mostly

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert.
Not most of the time…maybe 40%

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Not very good this week…I very much underestimated the effects of Holiday meal cheating

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
No, some meals had oily salad dressing and oil for dipping bread (which is also a “ding” on #7 below)

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
No…this was taken too casually this past week

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
No…Thanksgiving and the day before were not good days in this department - I ate way too much

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes….but this was not enough to offset the damage done in #’s 2,4,6,7 and 9

This is the first month with a net gain (I’m up about 2.2lb since the end of October). I have been able to offset lapses each week with strong exercise and/or lighter eating the day of so before each Friday’s report. This week my exercise was pretty strong, clocking a calorie burn of about 3500 cals in total for six days (using our stationary bike). But Wednesday and Thursday this week were far from light eating days and that hit showed up on the scales.

I’m at the threshold of a sub-25 BMI (25.4 now) and have read articles that suggest a BMI of 22 is optimal. That would be another 25 lbs of weight loss! A very daunting goal from here. If another 10 lbs will get my A1C and Cholesterol lab work “more in bounds,” I’ll settle for that. That would bring BMI down to 24.

I have found that I must weigh every day. Maybe I can stop the daily weigh-ins after I have fully and exclusively locked in to all 10 MWL Points above. But since 12/31/2019, daily monitoring has been a guide to getting back on track (or dialing back on complacence) and working harder to have a good report each week.

I’m down 45 lbs since Dec 31, have new clothes that fit and tell me when I need to get back on track. The weekly reports here in this MWL program have been a big part of the progress. But the easier part of this journey appears to be over. Now I feel that I have entered a stage that requires more diligence in guarding my progress so far while working to lose the next 10 lbs.

I’m looking forward to have a better show of results in December! Looking ahead, there are a couple of holiday treat or tradition meals or moments that are outside of the 10 MWL. Well, maybe more than a couple, but I would narrow my December exceptions to 2-3. Can I stray in a very, very measured way or should I start now to get a “zero exception” mindset
wstokes

Postby texaslil » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
+ 3 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO, I DID MAKE A VEGAN PECAN PIE FOR THANKSGIVING
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). DID EAT NUTS
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO, I DID EAT SOME THANKSGIVING FOODS WITH OIL
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. DID EAT FLOUR PRODUCTS
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NOOOOOOOO, DEFINITELY OVER INDULGED
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES 6/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I CONTEMPLATED NOT POSTING, AS, WELLLLL THANKSGIVING FOODS HAPPENED! WE ENJOYED OUR THANKSGIVING MEALS THIS YEAR, BUT OBVIOUSLY DID NOT ADHERE TO ALL 10 POINTS :D BUT I AM BACK ON TRACK STARTING THIS NEXT WEEK. I HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYED THEIR THANKSGIVING!!
texaslil

Postby Marla » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:40 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.Did this for 16 of 20 meals (I only had 20 meals in total this week because I didn't have time for breakfast on Thanksgiving).
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Did this for 18 of 20 meals (all except Thanksgiving Day).
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Did this for 17 of 20 meals; three meals had a little added salt or sugar.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Did this for 17 of 20 meals.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Did this for 18 of 20 meals (all except Thanksgiving Day).
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, except for a cup of Dandy Blend (coffee alternative) that had a splash of soymilk, and a glass of sparkling water that had a generous splash of cranberry juice, both on Thanksgiving.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, managed not to overeat.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Did this 6 of 7 days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
We actually had two Thanksgiving celebrations this week, one on Sunday with my adult son, and one on Thursday with my dad. The one on Sunday I kept nearly MWL (apart from a small amount of soymilk in a creamed corn dish). The one on Thursday was compliant with the regular McDougall plan, but not MWL. I was happy with this choice, and really enjoyed the richer (but still healthy, WFPB, oil-free) feast foods on Thanksgiving Day. My journal has details (and pictures) of exactly what I ate.

My loss of .8 of a pound this week was a little less than I typically see, but I had a big loss last week, and in any case I'm pleased to see a loss of any amount, given that it was Thanksgiving week! And now, back to our regularly scheduled nutritional program! :D
Marla

Postby Growing a Pear » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +0.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :cry:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products. :cry:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. :D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :idea:

Though my weight is up by 0.2, that's a rolling average of 7 days and one unusual high sodium day skewed the results. I actually did better overall WRT following the program than last week. Was able to ditch the #5 & 7 foods in recent days and guess what; turns out McDougall foods are more satiating than the CRAP. :lol: Don't know why I have to keep relearning this message but there's definite cycle I go through:

Am prompted to eat in the Pleasure Trap by the sight or smell of off-plan foods > decide to indulge this one time > one time becomes a small string of progressively worse indulgences > get annoyed with self and alarmed by the scale/feel out of control/wonder if I should quit this thread because I don't belong > manhandle myself back on program > literally 1-2 meals later feel satiated in a way I don't otherwise, regain pride and wonder why I ever slipped. :lol:

As you and Goose and Jeff keep stressing, Mark, preparation is the key. The minute I decided to recommit, I could access my veggie-lentil soup, my steel cut oat "pudding", the rice, beans and cooked veggies in the fridge and the ample supply of frozen veggies and fruit. Further, I associate those foods with comfort, pride, and having the mental space to do other things with my life. So...onward. Obviously can't make progress with my last 10 pounds if I keep slipping off, but I hope one day to be consistently free of these "indulgences."

Lastly, am pleased to report I'm back on the exercise bandwagon despite the treadmill breaking midweek. I'm also doing better at incidental movement throughout the day.
I just want to emphasize: It is the QUALITY of the food, not the QUANTITY. You are guaranteed success when following a starch-based and a simple diet. Monotony can be a key helper. ~Dr. John McDougall
Growing a Pear

Postby Hope410 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.6 LBS

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. NO TOO MUCH STARCH ONE MEAL
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO -- SOY SAUCE AND SALT
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). NO TURKEY, WHIPPED CREAM ON FRUIT SALAD
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO BREAD AND STUFFING
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO OVERATE ONE MEAL
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO ONLY WALKED 3X

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Not a super good week, had two meals that were seriously non MWL compliant. Also had more meals with higher salt content than usual due to preparation by others and canned vegetables. The only good thing to hang onto is it is a new week, almost a new month, and then a new year, so the only option for me is to continue until this weight loss journey is accomplished and just not give up ever again.

Have a great week everyone and I'll see you next week.
Hope410

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:20 pm

SW: 241.9
GW: 150.0

Last Weigh in: 214

This Week: 211.6

Lost 2.4 pounds
:D :-D :) :-)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.

2) Choose fruit for dessert.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.
:(
1 Canned chili this week - vegan but salty!

4) Eliminate all animal foods.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods.

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products

8 ) Don’t drink your calories.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
:(
No exercise at all this week, but I have developed a plan I will commence this week.

This week was a significant improvement - my health is not 100% - still some fibromyalgia and the sinus problems to treat - but the eating was, with one exception, very much back on track.

Thanksgiving dinner was my bok choy and shiitake mushroom stir fry - really excellent food but in no way celebratory. I turned down a plate from my neighbor too - she was fully prepared to "veganize" for me - but that would still contain foods that are not McDougall or compliant with MWL. I told her what I have lost since Covid and that I had a Saturday weigh-in I was trying to ace - she completely understood and gave me an "atta girl" of approval.

Had I been at my Aunt’s table as usual this would not have worked. On top of many courses of an over abundant Thanksgiving meal - as her birthday is the 25th and my Dad’s was the 26th - we have always celebrated those with our Thanksgiving by adding sumptuous cake to our pie dessert offerings. No one has ever left that table weighing what they did the day before!!!!

Now I will go get another cup of herbal tea and settle in to read everyone’s weigh-in and the comments of our learned advisors! Next week I will use this space (if I remember) to let Mark know how a comment he made to a post of mine completely got me rethink my operating tool kit. That comment (plus my efforts) led to this week’s 2.4 drop in pounds! Well done Mark :-D

Best to all - stay happy and healthy - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby Noella » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi Dr.McDougall, Mark, Wildgoose and Jeff,

Weight change this week: -1pounds
Weight Change since starting this MWL weigh-in group in April 1, 2020: -36 pounds!!
Weight change since starting to follow Dr. McDougall’s starch plan: December 29th, 2019: -78 pounds!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.YES Always! Meals seem so satisfying and complete by including an appetizer or two! Colourful, too! I think it really adds a lot to each meal and it’s such a simple step to follow.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your
plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES Always! It’s a great way to plan all our meals. I think of the starch first then add a few veggies and/or fruit. It’s straightforward!
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES Always! I am SO aware of saltiness and sweetness and prefer the natural flavours of food more and more. I’ve been at this for 11 months so my palate has steadily adjusted to less added sugars and salts. I am so pleased to find that I don’t need to add much salt at all...just the tiniest sprinkle is often enough to make my food taste 'just right'.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Always. Giving up dairy products was probably the most dramatic change I needed to make and I made the change ‘cold turkey’ last December 29, 2019. I haven’t had ANY dairy products for eleven months so it is possible and also this is proof anyone can do it! Pre-McDougall, my go-to stress relieving food was the ultra-high-fat lemon yogurt. I’m pretty sure it’s what caused my weight to climb steadily over about five years (spurred by stress at work). Looking back it is clear to me that it was definitely the fat content 14% that I ran to for comfort when stressed. Now that I eat starch at every meal, I don’t miss the fat at all. It’s really quite astonishing! It'sfreeing, too!
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES once this week I had a teeny tiny bite of my husband’s avocado, just to see what I’m missing. Nothing!!! Yay! I didn’t even like it. I didn’t like the feeling of fatty foods in my mouth anymore. Then I tasted his store bought hummus...yuck! also too oily. My homemade hummus without added oil is what I like best now. I know it’s not fair to say “yuck!’ to my husband as he is eating, but I did! All through this past eleven months I have tried my best to keep quiet about the high fat foods my husband eats. They are all healthy fats, from plants, after all. If he ever decides to lose weight all he will need to do is down on his higher fat plant foods.
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES Always! Our tall bottle of extra virgin olive oil just sits in the cupboard, getting older, unused, unwanted, unneeded... Bonus: our kitchen stays SO clean! Everything sparkles because there isn’t a film of oil or grease anywhere. We have an electric stove so that helps ,too! Everything I cook is super easy to clean...everything I cook is water soluble, so I can almost wash the dishes with cold water! Who would of guessed that this would be the case!? It’s so much easier without oil!
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES Always I have no interest in these. My husband eats these, though, so they are in our cupboards. Somehow the commitment I made to myself last December means that I don’t have any interest in taking a taste of these. They have lost their appeal for me, so I have no trouble having these available for my husband. And like most, since COVID-19, I don’t need to entertain. It’s sad to not have our kids or company visit but the silver lining is it has really allowed for me to eat simple repetitive menus without trying to impress guests with my cooking.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES Always. I keep telling myself that I can have a glass of wine or champagne at a special event if I want to, but then, when I’m there I don’t want to. I have given myself permission to make the choice. So far, in eleven months I have had two small glasses of wine. It was a sweet Reisling, from my favourite vineyard in our grape growing region. So that’s the other thing...I am very aware of what I like and also what I don’t like. My palate is more sensitive to subtle tastes. Why would I drink a wine that isn’t extraordinarily exquisite? It would have to be really worth it when I play out the cost benefit analysis in my mind. As I get closer to being back in to a normal size again the benefits of drinking a high calorie beverage cant compete with the fantastic feelings associated with getting my health back on track.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I’m actually able to distinguish between my feelings of hunger and satiety much more with each passing month of eating the McDougall way. Before I started on the McDougall starch journey I was overeating at almost every opportunity and the result was that I never had a chance to feel hunger. I appreciate the fact that MWL encourages eating until comfortably full because not counting calories or measuring means I never ever feel deprived or shortchanged. I get to eat heartily...from high quality healthy starch based veggies, grains and legumes!
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes and this alsois the area I need to improve the most. I try... this week I had a setback when my legs suddenly hurt so badly and my knees were too I couldn’t walk at all one evening. The pain went from my hips down to my ankles and I could barely move. I finally figured out that the pain was originating in my back and decided to add my very firm Therm-o-Rest camping pad onto my side of our mattress to help my back have a more firm rest. Next morning, I felt back to normal! Who knew that a saggy mattress could produce back pain that could extend down both legs!? So, I’m not only right back to moving around I'm planning to go cross country skiing this week! I think we need to buy a new mattress!

My measurements are down many inches since I started eleven months back! When I look in the mirror now, I recognize myself again! Something that propelled me to start this journey was that I saw someone in a photo, they were standing in my kitchen. I wondered who they were...then I realized they were wearing my clothes...and it was me!? I hadn’t recognized myself. Finally, I’m getting back to being my old self. What a relief! I encourage anyone just starting to hang in there. It will take quite a while to lose 95-100 pounds, or whatever amount is necessary for me to find the real me that was hiding away! I’m slowly and steadily getting there! About 15-20 pounds more and I’ll be there so I need to be patient.

Thank you so much everyone! Thank you for your inspiring reports. These are such an inspiration and help! Being a part of this group really makes all the difference for me.writing our reports once a week is very helpful to think through what needs to be considered for continued success. I thank you all for participating by sharing your personal MWL journey through these weekly weigh-ins and discussions.

The visit to our discussion group from Dr. McDougall was SO unexpected and totally exciting! He is my hero for unlocking the truth about healthy eating to me. Without his guidance I would still be eating high fat foods and wondering why I can’t seem to lose weight. It’s absolutely wonderful to receive your encouragement, Dr. McDougall. Thank you SO much!

Thank you everyone and warmest regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Reporting for November 27 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:31 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.

I'm running late today! :lol: Never fear, my replies and summary will go up before the end of the day!
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for November 27 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 pm

VivianS - A loss of 2.2 pounds during the week of Thanksgiving! Fantastic! Your 10/10 adherence is serving you so well! I'm so delighted that you are experiencing less pain and more comfort after some adjustments. Kudos to you for composing your Thanksgiving meal with delicious, recommended foods! Keep practicing your new lifestlye. :D

CindyD - Ongoing progress, superb adherence, moving into a normal BMI range, and you are down over 4 pounds for the month, I believe! You are doing great! I love brussels sprouts, too; my Thanksgiving dinner was roasted brussels sprouts with Okinawan purple sweet potatoes - very satisfying! Thanks for your kind words. Carry on!

Wfpb2020 - Cheers! I'm guessing some of those 5s on your assessment were holiday related? The cravings will pass if you can avoid reinforcing them for a sufficient period of time. How do you feel about the week? Keep working to move closer to full adherence to the recommendations to best support continued progress.

josietheschnauzer - I would say your week looks pretty darn good for being in an "extreme danger period"! Very cool idea to hire an aspiring chef to make that recipe; perhaps she'll be inspired to further investigate similar recipes. I'm so happy you continue to find inspiration and motivation in this group, Elsa. Keep chipping away at those small periodic "exceptions"; I would expect your appetite will adjust with more time. :) Huzzah for making this year different!

Zoey - The good news is that a single day's excesses can be reversed with an immediate return to the recommended pattern of behavior; it looks like that is what you've done! It sounds like you were gifted a powerful lesson about how the holiday "feast" affected the way you felt, too. Plain and simple is always nice. What do you think you will do on Christmas Day? What would you like to do? What actions might you take to support the outcome you want? :)

Kelly140 - It is so lovely to see you refocused and back with the group! Well done not losing any ground from your previous achievements. This holiday season seems like a wonderful time to get back on track and keep working to stay there. Forward!

chef16 - Another pound this week! Pat yourself on the back for putting in the effort to make sure this week's holiday didn't leave you "busted!" Solid looking week and you got those couple of troublesome items right out of the house. :thumbsup: New day! If all those in-store temptations seem worrisome, it might be worth being sure to pack some adherent food to bring with you as you head into that gauntlet. It might seem like a hard month ahead, but planning & preparation can make things at least a little easier. :nod:

Gimmelean - Solid adherence outside of those two days! A episode of "exceptions" leaving one feeling awful can be very instructive for calibrating future plans, decisions and actions. My wife, daughter and I had a lovely, sedate Thanksgiving. You do deserve to feel great, and getting right back on track and moving forward with intention can help deliver those great feelings. Bring on December!

wstokes - Congratulations on your new wardrobe (with its helpful reminders to get back on track) and your 45lbs of cumulative weight loss! A solid path toward achieving your further goals is striving to eat the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion as often as your are able; the composition of our plates will nearly always overshadow our workout routine. Do you think it might be worth it to review To Weigh or Not to Weigh, so as to fully process the rationale behind Jeff's weigh-in recommendations? How to make the best of December is an interesting question. To what extent one can make "exceptions" and maintain progress will vary greatly from person to person; the question to ask yourself is what information your observations and results from the past can offer you about the value of "measured straying" vs. "zero exceptions." How has either worked for you previously? For me, exceptions in moderation never worked, and 100% adherence proved much easier.

texaslil - I give you great credit for showing up and reporting, in spite of contemplating not doing so! Setbacks are almost inevitable, and the soundest way to recover is to get right back to the recommended behaviors as soon as possible. It is nice you enjoyed the holiday, but if you can avoid "enjoying" more of the same in the coming days, you'll keep forging ahead. :)

Marla - Another Thanksgiving week weight loss! It appears you decided in advance on a way of celebrating with your loved ones that felt reasonable to you, and you stuck with that plan. :thumbsup:
Marla wrote:And now, back to our regularly scheduled nutritional program!
Hear!Hear!

Growing a Pear - Improving overall from last week is a win, I would say! Regarding the "message" and cycle you noted - I had to receive the same message an embarrassing number of times before it finally sunk in. :o As you say, being prepared to fulfill the recommendations is key, and I would observe that these exact sort of setbacks are a part of the process - after enough time everything will come together eventually if you just keep learning, adjusting and growing. Hooray for getting back on the exercise bandwagon!

Hope410 - Hang in there! Even if this wasn't a "super good week," neither was it "super bad." A new day, week, month and year are all coming soon and today is always the best day to get back on track and "continue the journey." Huzzah for not ever giving up!

lmggallagher - 2.4 pounds! A great number for a great week! I'm glad you are back on track, despite the lingering health challenges. :) Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely - you deserve that "atta girl!" I'm so thrilled one of my past comments contributed to your adjusted toolkit! Enjoy your tea and reading. :D

Noella - Yet another pound gone! And 78 since the end of 2019!!!! :thumbsup: I think you are doing so great! I'm impressed you were able to bounce back from that mattress related pain so quickly! Enjoy the cross country skiing! :D
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - November 27, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:05 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for November 27 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for November 27 - Part 2

By my count, 25 participants reported for our final November 2020 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the final Friday in November:

Week ending 11/27/2020: 25 participants reported a total loss of -2.70 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Zoey +4.00
Texaslil +3.00
Gimmelean +1.40
Wstokes +1.40
Jkcook +1.00
Cmcavazos +0.80
Hope410 +0.60
PonysPlants +0.60
Wfpb2020 +0.60
Growing a Pear +0.20
Total gains: +13.60
Abe 0.00
Kelly140 0.00
Kirstykay 0.00
Josietheschnauzer -0.40
CindyD -0.70
Expat in NZ -0.70
GreenFroG -0.80
Marla -0.80
Chef16 -1.00
Noella -1.00
Rebecka22 -1.60
squealcat -1.70
VivianS -2.20
Lmggallagher -2.40
Rita<3 -3.00
Total losses: -16.30
Cumulative group loss for November 2020 to date: 59.90 pounds
Average loss for week ending November 27: 0.11 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2020: 524.80 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2020: 240.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2020: 172.61 pounds
Cumulative group loss for October 2020: 216.25 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 4, 2020, in the December MWL Group thread.

Celebration! I am so proud of everyone who has continued to participate in this group and continue their work through the launch of the holiday season! Whether this week came off as a perfectly executed plan or presented a struggle, it was replete with information and lessons you can apply to the days and weeks ahead. Keep making these important changes!

This month the group lost a cumulative total just shy of sixty pounds!

I'll keep it short and sweet as we close the month - give yourself a pat on the back for all you have done and imagine what amazing things you can do in the future. My very best to one and all! :D

See you in December! The new thread will go up on Monday.
Mark Cooper

Postby Rita<3 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Thank you so very much Mark for the encouraging words & that great information about that pasta!! I’ve been afraid to try the WW. Terrified actually! :eek:
I wasn’t aware that we’re only supposed to have 1c of beans daily. Or did I misunderstand that? Thanks again!! :-D
Rita<3

Postby Zoey » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:13 am

Well done, everyone, and thanks so much, Mark!

It's early Sunday morning here as I post this, and I just wanted to report and remind myself how great I feel after two days back at my normal eating. There are still leftover 'treats' in the kitchen that my husband has indulged in. But not only are they not tempting me at all, but they're actually repulsing me. Woohoo!
As for Christmas Day, I may decide that the traditional foods are worth my temporary discomfort and weight gain.
Or I may decide to feel great that entire day and evening instead by only enjoying the sights and smells and good company and my food.
Whichever way I go, I'm happy knowing that I haven't set off a season-long binge. See you all in December!
Zoey

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:05 am

Yes, thank you, Mark! Thank you, Zoey for your comment. My "hint from Heloise" : Beets! I am using beets to fight my sugar/sweet craving. They are red for the season...... Anyway, just thought I would share my "discovery". Yes, I just had them for breakfast :D . On to December! Thank you, everyone!!!!
josietheschnauzer

Postby Zoey » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:48 am

Thanks, Josie! I think I may have tried beets once and didn't care for them. But tastes change and I'm up for giving them another shot.
Zoey

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program