November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Marla » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:10 pm

I have a question about added sugars. I am familiar with the rule of thumb that added sugars should make up less than 5% of calories. Is this guideline different for the MWLP program and the regular program, or is it the same guideline for both?

I have read (but cannot now find) posts by Jeff where he explains that it does not really matter what type of sugar it is; the important thing is making sure the amount consumed is below the recommended threshold. If it is truly such a small amount, then it doesn't really matter in terms of health whether it is sugar, sucanat, maple syrup, agave, date syrup, coconut sugar, ultra-reduced balsamic vinegar, or whatever the next trendy sweetener turns out to be. I'm just wondering whether the MWL checklist with its recommendation to reduce or eliminate sugars is the same 5% guideline expressed in different words, or a different (stricter) guideline.

Sorry for asking this as it has probably been asked and answered many times. Thank you!
Marla

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Marla wrote: I have a question about added sugars. I am familiar with the rule of thumb that added sugars should make up less than 5% of calories. Is this guideline different for the MWLP program and the regular program, or is it the same guideline for both?

Same.

The best way to meet the guidelines

1) is if you use packaged products, make sure there are not any added sugars,
2) prepare your food without any added sugars and
3) to sprinkle the sugar on top at the table.

Marla wrote: I have read (but cannot now find) posts by Jeff where he explains that it does not really matter what type of sugar it is; the important thing is making sure the amount consumed is below the recommended threshold. If it is truly such a small amount, then it doesn't really matter in terms of health whether it is sugar, sucanat, maple syrup, agave, date syrup, coconut sugar, ultra-reduced balsamic vinegar, or whatever the next trendy sweetener turns out to be.

Correct.

The main differences between the 2 programs are

1) MWL eliminates calorie dense foods while the regular program limits them

2) MWL eliminates high fat foods while the regular program limits them.

3) MWL recommends up to 50% of your plate be non-starchy vegetables, while the regular program recommends about 10-30%.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Marla » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:28 pm

JeffN wrote:
Marla wrote: I have a question about added sugars. I am familiar with the rule of thumb that added sugars should make up less than 5% of calories. Is this guideline different for the MWLP program and the regular program, or is it the same guideline for both?

Same.

The best way to meet the guidelines

1) is if you use packaged products, make sure there are not any added sugars,
2) prepare your food without any added sugars and
3) to sprinkle the sugar on top at the table.

Marla wrote: I have read (but cannot now find) posts by Jeff where he explains that it does not really matter what type of sugar it is; the important thing is making sure the amount consumed is below the recommended threshold. If it is truly such a small amount, then it doesn't really matter in terms of health whether it is sugar, sucanat, maple syrup, agave, date syrup, coconut sugar, ultra-reduced balsamic vinegar, or whatever the next trendy sweetener turns out to be.

Correct.

The main differences between the 2 programs are

1) MWL eliminates calorie dense foods while the regular program limits them

2) MWL eliminates high fat foods while the regular program limits them.

3) MWL recommends up to 50% of your plate be non-starchy vegetables, while the regular program recommends about 10-30%.

In Health
Jeff

Thank you Jeff for the clear and concise reply. I feel like I can move forward confidently and make good choices with this guidance. Most of the time I don't use added sugars/sweeteners or products that contain them, but for the times when I do, it's helpful to understand the guideline and the principles that inform it. Looking forward to joining everyone on the December thread!
Marla

Postby VivianS » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:31 am

VivianS December 1, 2020
Thank you, Jeff Novick, for explaining about added sugars so clearly. Eliminating them is easy to understand. Limiting anything requires thought and effort.
Thank you, Marla, for asking the question. You know the basic program rules and rule of thumb about limiting sugar to less than 5% of calories. Ignorance has been bliss for me. I'm glad I have not bothered to try to figure out how to add a little sugar to my diet.
VivianS

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program