December 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Artista - Welcome back to the group! Today seems like a great time to renew your efforts toward maintaining the recommended pattern of behavior for MWL. Being aware of the two particular dynamics you noted should help you to circumvent them; it is probably worth making some contingency plans for how you'll deal with cravings for those richer foods without indulging them. Having abundant adherent food on hand and ready to go should make it easier to reach toward the recommended foods whenever you are hungry. Thanks for taking the time to review the Orientation materials and feel free to post any questions that arise as you make your way through the week ahead.
Mark Cooper

Postby Artista » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Mark - Thank you for the welcome and the great suggestions!
Artista

Re: Mark's Replies for December 18 - Part 2

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:... regarding my recent hospitalization; it's been a real eye-opener for me! We can be trucking along doing everything "right," and the universe can still jump up and knock us off our feet sometimes. :eek: You might be interested to know that since getting back home I've been working with an Egoscue therapist (previously I'd been doing a menu based on my own reading of Pain Free), the weekly therapy sessions and daily application of my new customized menu of exercises has already had a positive effect. Once things settle down a bit for me, I'm going to post an update in my journal discussing what a typical day looks like for me, including the numerous therapeutic modalities I apply to the management of my CRPS/RSD, with the hope that may be of value to other forum members who struggle with chronic pain.

Indeed I for one will be completely interested in what you have to say and do regarding your pain management. Isn't that the truth - how these flares, or substantially worse in your case, can just strike - without warning or any hints as to why now? I'm thrilled that you could have an Egoscue program created for you individually by one of their therapists.

I'm starting back towards Egoscue now - I first have to start with some gentle stretches I have being doing from a Mayo Clinic book on fibromyalgia. I'd launch right into the Egoscue program, but it requires me to be on the floor. I'm too taut from what I call a "traveling pain" flare to do that safely yet, but soon.

I find my progress doing the Egoscue is light-years faster than anything else I have tried. Furthermore, keeping up with it seems to ensure I don't injure myself in doing other activities.

My PT worked out a program that takes Egoscue as it's base then adds in weights and additional stretches - that will be my third phase before walking again. I've tried walking numerous times but without the Egoscue as foundation - the pain came back quickly.

I will look to see what you share about your approach going-forward. I am doing a daily handwritten journal/planner based on much of your current approach. Weirdly, I do better writing these prescriptives out in a daily planner/journal rather than typing them out here in a journal. My poor brain is just wired that way to get me to adhere for some reason. Could be that time a nun made me write out one-hundred times on a chalkboard that I would not interrupt in class ( yes, I'm that old - chalkboard being the main clue) :lol: Be well Mark and thanks for all you do to help us on this journey!

lmggallagher

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:36 am

lmggallagher - It sounds like you have a really well-considered and realistic plan for moving forward with physical therapy; it is wonderful that you have such good support from your PT. I totally understand what you mean about "traveling pain" flares and being too taut to get onto the floor. :nod: Your daily journal seems like a tool you are putting to excellent use. (those darn nuns!) The big game changers for me have been the strict application of the MWL recommendations, Egoscue, Graded Motor Imagery Therapy (which has been a long, gradual progression, but has really made a big difference over the course of the last year, notwithstanding my recent severe flare-up), and just staying as active as I am able with periods of exercise throughout each day.
Mark Cooper

Postby Gimmelean » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:27 am

quote="Gimmelean"]My goal this week is to continue practicing 1-10, focus on what went well and continue to do more of the same, and work really hard to make item 5 a resounding yes next week.[/quote]That is an admirable goal! Are there any adjustments to your preparation or routine that might help you achieve that?

Mark-thank you for making me realize that no specific plan of action = no step in the right direction. We buy in bulk and keep nuts in the freezer. We keep a small container in the snack cabinet in the kitchen that gets refilled when empty for easy access. I just threw it out. Gettingrid of that empty refillable container was my first step in getting rid of that habit. I will have to think twice before snacking on something that’s not immediately in front of me. It would be great to clean out the house but not realistic. I can work on that one challenge this week.
Gimmelean

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:45 pm

Gimmelean wrote:We keep a small container in the snack cabinet in the kitchen that gets refilled when empty for easy access. I just threw it out.
Great idea and great action! That should be a real help for changing that behavior. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Reminder - Weigh-In on Friday, December 25, 2020

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm looking forward to this week's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, as discussed at the beginning of this thread. I'm dedicating the entirety of Christmas Day to family time, so I will respond to everyone's reports in one cumulative post on Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week while in the weight loss phase, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

Happy Holidays to all who will be celebrating and my very best to all!
Mark Cooper

Postby Expat in NZ » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:12 am

Happy NZ Friday!

Dec 4 - 180.4
Dec 11 - 180.2
Dec 18 - 177.8
Dec 25 - 178.0 (+0.2)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 95%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods. 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. 100%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods. 95%
8. Don't drink your calories. 100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary. Always!

I have been totally composing I will chalk this up to my cycle since it just happened to begin on my weigh-in day - merry xmas to me!

I hope everyone has a very happy holiday time however you celebrate or don’t celebrate :-D
American Expat, wife, mom of 2, weightlifter, foodie
Started McDougall June 2020 - 93kg (204.6lb)
Aug 1 2020 - 87.9kg (193.4lb)
Goal weight - 60kg (132lb)
One day at a time!

Expat in NZ

Postby NancyNancyR » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:35 am

Weight change December 25, -.8 lbs.
Total December lost 4.2 lbs.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Mark, glad you are back and I will be interested in your take on any new pain management therapies, I too have chronic pain issues, though I don't believe they are as severe as what you deal with it still works negatively on me when I have flare ups and those daily "pop-up pains" are not too fun either.
Even though this past week looks a lot like last week I did lose instead of gain this week, so I’ll take it. It has been a typical busy pre-holiday week but I tried to remain cognizant of my ultimate health goals. Progress for me as this is unlike the ghost of Christmas past. A Merry Christmas to all!!!
NancyNancyR

Postby Veganjo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:58 am

Weight change +/- NO LOSS or GAIN!

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. Sometimes the soup or salad is my meal!
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. usually
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. Reduced yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods.yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. yes
8. Don’t drink your calories. yes
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. I usally eat between 11 am - 6 pm.
10. Avoid being sedentary. Yes, Exercise two times a week, and we walk every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day!

Victories, Comments, Conerns: My weight is going down little by little. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Veganjo

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:45 am

178.8 Weight change +/- in lbs: -1 pound

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES except one takeout meal.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES except the one takeout meal with tofu
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES except the one takeout meal
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES except one day when I gave in to a small amount of holiday sweets.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES except holiday sweet day I had hot cocoa
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I am thrilled to still be losing although much slower than last week. I had two days midweek where I got a little off track, I let holiday sweets temptation win and I ate takeout, but I didn’t let it derail me and I made sure to still start with salad and use the 50/50 plate method with the takeout. Christmas will be hard, but all in all to have lost almost 9 pounds this month instead of gaining is a big accomplishment I would not have done it without the support of this group, so thank you to the moderators and everyone participating. Merry Christmas!
Rebecka22

Postby Tian-De » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:48 am

HO HO HO! Merry Christmas!

Weight change +/-: -0.8
Last week: 166.2
This week: 165.4

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 8/21 Getting better at this, but breakfasts are difficult since I need to eat fast and often feel pressed for time. Dinners are problematic in general.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 17.5/21 This is becoming more instinctive.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 16/21 Asian food is just downright salty. That said doing better than before.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 21/21 Had Kimchi several times this week, but the amount of anchovies in the Kimchi was so negligible I didn't count it.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 18/21 Doing fairly well with this, I think I had soy milk twice and tofu once.
6. Eliminate any added oil. 17/21 Doing better overall, but this manages to slip into dinners quite easily.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 13/21 Snacks and dinners again. My wife got chips, I shouldn't blame her, but I usually end up being the one eating all of them. I'm going to take them to a friend's house tonight.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 17/21 Again, dinner is usually where this happens
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 12/21
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/21 Super lazy these days. I went for a long hike last sunday, but nothing beyond that. I know that I need to develop a habit of getting on my bike every night and setting a 30 minute timer.

Victories: Tracked all seven days!

Comments: That evening cram circuit gets me every time.

Concerns: I need to set up a nightly routine to address exercise and the cram circuit.

Plan of Action: When I come home I will: 1) Put on my cycling pants, 2) Cook a BIG pot of rice, 3) ride my bike
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Postby AnneG » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:51 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2 lbs
Total December change: -10.6 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes - with the exception of 2 TB flax daily for dry eyes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. mostly - overate French fries one night and felt miserable! They were air fried, no oil, but it was still an uncomfortable experience and a reminder to practice portion control.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes - I am off work for our Christmas break and have been enjoying longer walks since I can get out during the day

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
It was a good food week with the exception of the French fry fiasco, which was perhaps helpful motivation as I go into the next week of celebration with family! Our food will be plant based but some of it richer than I normally eat so I want to be very mindful of my choices and eat consciously rather than thoughtlessly or out of habit. I plan to slow down and enjoy my food instead of eating in a frenzy and concentrate on savoring experiences with family rather than food. I have a lot of fruit on hand and will always have MWL options available.
Walking has been a great experience this week and I have really enjoyed longer times outside. I am looking forward to continuing those over the next 10 days! Yesterday I walked with umbrella in hand but it was still an enjoyable experience.
I'll be back in January - I look forward to continuing the journey to better health in the new year.
AnneG

Postby texaslil » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:57 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
no change

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. MOSTLY, I DID CHOOSE A COUPLE OF COOKIES ON OUR ANNUAL COOKIE BAKING DAY
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. SEE ABOVE
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. SEE ABOVE
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. SEE ABOVE
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 5/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I WANT TO CHECK IN BEFORE THE FAM GETS UP FOR CHRISTMAS MORNING. MY KNEES DID WEEKEN A BIT DURING MY FAMILY'S ANNUAL COOKIE BAKING DAY! I DIDN'T OVERINDULGE BUT DID ENJOY A FEW. ALL AND ALL NOT TOO BAD, I CONSDER IT A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE THAT I DIDN'T GAIN! LOOKING FORWARD TO ENJOYING THE CHRISTMAS DAY, I HAVE PREPARED SEVERAL COMPLIANCT DISHES. I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT CHRITMAS DAY AND HOLIDAY SEASON. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
texaslil

Postby squealcat » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:33 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: + 2.6

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. most of the time
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.this didn't go well
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.this didn't go well either
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).had a couple of cheese slices but that is all
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).tofu scramble
6. Eliminate any added oil.not so good on this one
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn also a problem
8. Don't drink calories never
9. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied .most of the time I did this
10. Exercise 30 minutes . did my walking 5 days this week which is fine with me

thoughts: Looking at my habit tracker list I see that I had 2 perfect days and 5 not so perfect with parts of them really not good.
Looking at recipes and videos of cooking started my fall and giving in to those urges made me fall farther. My whole day wasn't like this but usually the afternoon. I tried to observe myself and saw that one little bit of (not so good for me ) food started a spiral that was difficult to stop. It helped a lot to stop watching videos and searching through recipes . I have my own stash of recipes that I could have just gone through. I will try to remember this going forward. I am glad we don't really celebrate New year's ! See you in January !
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program