December 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Hello, all! I am back after a 1 month gap...didn't participate in the Nov Weigh-in Group. Truth be told, I ran back to the Forum :nod: My brain & body knew it was time...I think accountability reeeeally helps me.

Last MWL weigh-in, 10/30/2020 = 150.6lbs
Reporting my starting weight for Dec :arrow: Weigh-in, 12/04/2020 = 148.8lbs  

*Guidelines: (short week since Dec 1st started on Tuesday - reporting for 4 days this week, Tues-Fri.)
Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant 2/4 days
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant 4/4 days
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant 3/4 days
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant 4/4 days
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant 4/4 days
Eliminate any added oil. Compliant 3/4 days
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant 4/4 days
Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant 4/4 days
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant 4/4 days
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Compliant 1/4 days

*Summary:
- My not so good points = (1) I can see what a difference a month makes...for good & bad. I am out of the habit of eating soup or salad EVERY day, for EVERY meal as a pre-loader. Last month when I wasn't in the Group, I was mindful but didn't make it part of my daily routine...a soup here, a salad there. This is something that will take intention for me. (2) Last month, I ventured outside of MWL with new (vegan) recipes. This week I made a greens recipe that called for Applewood sea salt. I used the recipe's amount the 1st time I made the recipe ( was fearful of deviating) & quickly realized it was too salty. That was a good reminder to get back to the guidelines. (3) I used oil once this week for a recipe. I'm done! (4) We traveled last month so my personal training schedule was altered. I'm back on track with training 2Xs/week (Mon/Wed) BUT I haven't been on my exercise bike since we returned. I've gotten used to not using it (shameful since I was on a winning streak). I need to make a plan for next week (starting tomorrow) to ensure I exercise daily.
- My good points = (1) I over-shot for my Thanksgiving recipe ingredients...lol! So I didn't have to do a big grocery haul to start this week! YAY! (2) My family has "higher calorie-dense" foods floating around the house. I have refrained from digging in to them! 

I gave myself a lil wiggle room last month but didn't stray too far from the guidelines...I still have them posted in my kitchen. Lol! And I have to say, this is the first time I can remember making a decision to eat something "vegan" without completely jumping off a cliff. I truly believe the guidelines have grounded me! So happy to be back in the Weigh-in Group! I have my mind made up to continue getting closer and closer to full compliance each week, this month!      
CUgorji22

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:19 pm

SW: 241.9
GW: 150.0

Last Weigh in: 211.6
This Week: 212.8

Gained : 1.2
:(

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:)
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
3) Choose fruit for dessert.
4) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.
5) Eliminate all animal foods.
6) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods.
:( :( :(
Avocados and then some, sigh.....

7) Eliminate any added oil.
8) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products.
9 ) Don’t drink your calories.
10) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.
11) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
:( Barely doing my Egoscue routine at this point - but improving.

I know exactly what I did wrong this week - I forgot to do my Imperfect Foods organic produce box order. If you don’t do this on schedule you will get their default box - which can be full of foods that are hardly McDougall maximum weight-loss friendly. I put particular emphasis on the many perfectly ripe avocados that came in the box, but there were other things I seemed to have eaten and shouldn’t have. It won’t happen again, but I could not pass up an avocado - sad to say.

As noted last week, I have made a positive change in response to one of Mark’s advisements - which was to reconsider my “toolkit”. My toolkit was developed years back as the product of a pain management course I took through my health provider. The point of the toolkit was to help one reduce periods of flare or move out of flare episodes successfully through good eating, sleeping and exercise habits.

Mark was completely on target here and recently two things collided that made this the ideal time to do some big tweaks and hacks. First, my Aunt got me a book just out from Mayo Clinic on fibromyalgia - of all my ailments this is the most pernacious this time of year. Simultaneously, I got tired of looking at my day planner calendar continuously stating “down day fibromyalgia/insomnia”. I read most of the book and subsequently, got a new system of uniquely flexible day planners.

The book was so-so and clearly written by committee. For instance, in one paragraph it said diet has not been shown to have much impact on fibromyalgia and next sentence - vegan diets have shown effectiveness in helping with fibromyalgia symptoms. Though they didn’t get the food part right - there were things to be gleaned about exercise and coming in and out of flares.

The new planners - yes, I now have 5 planners in one - are my big breakthrough. Now instead of one listing a thousand things I can not accomplish during high flare days - I have several. The main one is my health triage for the day - my daily health data sleep info from my Apple watch, my food log and my symptoms level of pain and fatigue. This data determines the level of activity I can reasonably do in a day to stay or ease out of flares. What is very clear from keeping this data and evaluating it - is deep sleep is the key for me and getting deep sleep is completely tied to WHAT I EAT! The other planners are each tailored with preassigned levels of activity that I can reasonably accomplish to avoid worsening my situation.

I can’t control weather and other unknown factors that can cause my pain flares, but I sure can modulate the level of pain and ease in and out by not going boom and bust on activity. Significantly, it’s completely clear that eating a McDougall diet is the primary constant I must maintain.

Hard to explain all of this without a visual show and tell - but the fact is - Mark did a huge service suggesting the “toolkit” might need an update. Exercise has been my downfall on the weekly checklist for a long time - it’s a boom bust issue. It’s now clear that I ease into this with my Egoscue then my PT exercises (includes weights) and increasing my daily steps before embarking on a formal walking or rowing routine. The key is keeping track of sustained progress before jumping to the next level - essentially, I have to recondition out of each flare while keeping good eating constant - which I hadn’t really comprehended well. My goal is eventually to get back to my gym and hopefully by the time gyms open back up post Covid that might not be a pipe dream - IF - I do this right.

Many thanks Mark!!!!

Stay well all - Michelle

lmggallagher

Postby AnneG » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Starting weight: 188.1

Hi everyone. I have read the guidelines/orientation and agree to abide by them. I have been mostly plant based for almost 10 years but my weight and exercise have not been consistent lately. As I look ahead to the next several decades, I want to do everything in my power to lead a healthy lifestyle in order to live a full and productive life. There are a lot of negative health patterns in my family which I have been able to avoid due to the changes I have made, but I notice poor health and pain creeping back in as I become less diligent in my journey. I am committed to following the guidelines of the group. #10 may be the biggest challenge I will face - after the cravings pass! I like to walk and will concentrate on getting a regular walk and stretching daily.

I'm 58, live in Southern California, and am a middle school teacher. My adult daughter has joined me in WFPB eating after seeing the benefits to her own health, as has my sister. The rest of my immediate family does not follow this way of eating, which is difficult but not insurmountable, but I sneak extra vegetables into everything possible!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6. Eliminate any added oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
AnneG

Reporting for December 4 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby wildgoose » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:04 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.

Goose
wildgoose

Postby wildgoose » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:08 pm

@AnneG Welcome to the group! Glad to have you on board. Having a background in plant-based eating will be a big help, but adhering to the MWL Checklist should be key to helping you get to where you want to be in terms of weight and health. Looking forward to your report at next week's check-in.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Replies for December 4 - Part 2

Postby wildgoose » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 pm

jkcook — Farewell to that Thanksgiving gain! Nice when that disappears. Hope you’re planning a good counterattack for the next time that sushi and vegan burrito sneak up on you. ;)

cmcavazos — Getting back on track and staying that way is a great accomplishment, especially during the holidays when that can be such a challenge. Fewer cravings will be a big help with staying on track.
Remember that pasta is fine on MWL, if it’s whole grain. I find pasta is easy to overeat on, so I’m always careful to load up on the non-starchy vegetables to go along with it whenever I eat it. This is a change from what was written in the Maximum Weight Loss book. Jeff has discussed it on a few occasions…
JeffN wrote:Pasta is one of the exceptions to the “avoid flour products” guidelines and that is why it is not listed and the guideline says “higher calorie density foods”. Unlike other flour products, that are fairly dry and calorie dense, when pasta is cooked, it absorbs quite a bit of water into its structure, lowering the calorie density to about the same as Brown rice. The only potential issue with it is that flour products have been ground up so some people may find that pasta is not as satiating as another intact whole grain of the same calorie density. If you find this to be true, just make sure you always make it primavera style (with vegetables) and using the 50/50 is a good guideline. Ironically, in the actual satiety study, it was one of the higher foods for satiety along with the potato and oatmeal.

JeffN wrote:The 2 main changes are we don’t recommend tortilla’s, air-popped popcorn or puffed grains due to their higher calorie density and we do allow for whole grain pasta due to its lower calorie density.

Hope410 — You make a good point when you say that evening eating can be the result of not eating or drinking enough during the day. Particularly when it comes to starches. If you skimp on starches all day, you can find yourself munching almost nonstop between dinner and bedtime. Good job avoiding the cracker/chip aisle. That stuff leaps off the shelf and into your cart before you know it! :)

Rita<3 — You got some good advice from jan_npr about what to eat with oats. Traditionally, people combine oats and fruit for breakfast. But others really like savory oats, mixed with vegetables and herbs/spices. If gluten-free oats work better for you, by all means have them. And if you want to expand your breakfast options to potatoes, rice, buckwheat, quinoa or other starches, those are all possibilities. I’ve been known to have dinner foods for a late breakfast and oatmeal for dinner! There are no rules that say breakfast food has to be “breakfasty.”

jan_npr — I’m happy to fill in for Mark, and I know we’re all eager to have him back on board. You make a good point when you talk about having salted nuts and oily popcorn around. As you know, you need to get that stuff out of the house. Make it easy to do the right thing, much harder to do anything else. This is the key to lowering stress, especially this time of year. I’ve had the 10-pound holiday gain, and worse! No way do any of us want that this year.

Wfpb2020 — Well done for posting, even when you’ve had a rough month. Keep Dr. Doug Lisle’s “tortoise” approach in mind. A tortoise moves slowly but may get there first in the end, as we all know from the fable. But according to Dr. Lisle, tortoises are also very nearsighted. They see only right what’s in front of their noses. Don’t look forward or back too far. Don’t think about past mistakes (other than to learn from them and go on) or future goals. Keep focused on the process: day by day, meal by meal, choice by choice. The books you mentioned are great motivators. You might also find it helpful to go back and look at the list of Resources that Mark has posted at the beginning of last month’s thread. There are some very useful video links in there.

GreenFroG — Staying the same weight over Thanksgiving is indeed a victory! Seeing/smelling rich food can be a trigger all right, but I like your idea of when hungry, eat a potato!

chef16 — A pound down is a pound down, deserving or not. So take it and run with it! I’ve found that anything that keeps my hands occupied keeps me from eating. Right now, I’ve gotten 484 granny squares out from my craft storage closet, and I’m making them into a huge blanket for one of the Goslings. Very hard to eat in the midst of that. ;)

texaslil — Annual cookie baking day sounds like a real challenge. All I can advise is keep the focus on the joy of spending time with your mom and kiddos, and away from the cookies. As soon as they’re cool, package them up for gifting and keep them off the open plates/racks where you’ll be tempted to nibble. We just had massive fruitcake baking day here. It’s a family tradition that goes back 5 generations, and I’m not getting out of it any time soon. So I know how you feel. Good luck!

Growing a Pear — Nice to see those numbers moving in the right direction! Great that your husband is on board and participating with you. My Gander is about 90% too, and it really helps. Good luck in negotiating banishing that last troublesome food. If he isn’t happy about eliminating it completely, maybe you can try just moving it out of sight (waaaaay out of sight :lol:)? Not eating out makes a huge difference. We rarely ate out before, but even we are noticing the change when we eat home-cooked food all the time.

gimmelean — I like that you’re still enjoying the process, even though it’s been a hard week. Preparation is key. Getting food prepped and easily accessible will help you overcome a lot of temptation to grab any tempting food you may come across. Not eating an elephant at all is a much better concept than the version of the story I’ve heard, which is to eat the elephant one bite at a time!
It’s hard to wrap your head around the concept of yourself at a lower weight. I’ve been the same low weight for over a year now, and there are times when I still don’t think of myself as thin. Last summer, the Gander’s doctor was commenting on how much easier his upcoming abdominal surgery was going to be because he was so thin (he really is genetically thin — BMI of ~18.5 if he’s fully clothed!). The doctor looked at the two of us, together, and said something like it’s people our size who make doctors’ jobs easier. OUR size? As in, he’s thinking that the Gander and I are equally thin? Amazing. My mind just doesn’t think of us as anywhere near the same in terms of leanness.

Marla — You should feel pretty good about the week! You carefully planned a celebration meal, had it, enjoyed it, and didn’t let it derail you. It’s a very important win. So many times we let one meal throw us off track for weeks or months, and you very consciously didn’t. Well done! Keeping a journal can be really helpful in staying on track, too. I know that personally, I’m not as likely to eat something I shouldn’t if I have to write it down :lol:.

Kelly140 — Nice loss! Good adherence to the checklist, even with some lack of preparation. In addition to focusing on exercise (always a plus!), I’m sure you’ll be working on getting that food prep back on track, too.

CUgorji22 — Welcome back! It’s a good place to land when your brain and body tell you it’s time. I’m going to put you at a zero loss for the purposes of reporting this week, and give you a big thumbs up for achieving almost a 3-pound loss last month while not participating! You obviously didn’t stray too far from the guidelines, and it shows. You’ve analyzed everything you’re doing and what you need to do — you’re ready to jump right back in.

lmggallagher — Mark will be very interested to read your report when he gets back. I’ll make sure to flag it for him. Your exercise has to be very specifically tailored to work around your fibromyalgia, and it sounds like you’re doing an outstanding job of planning. Diet is a big part of it, too, as you have figured out. I have pain issues as well, which are exacerbated by eating certain foods, and it makes a big difference when I’m staying away from the problem-causing items 100%. I have the Egoscue book, after reading many recommendations for it from other forum participants. I haven’t really explored it, but I probably should! Sorry that the avocados found their way into your house — that’s a common problem in today’s world when we’re relying so heavily on online ordering and delivery for our groceries.

Goose
wildgoose

Weigh-In Report Compilation - December 4, 2020

Postby wildgoose » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:52 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Replies for December 4 - Part 1
Replies for December 4 - Part 2

By my count, 28 participants reported for our first December 2020 MWL weigh-in (including new/returning members)! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Thank you again for your patience and cooperation as Jeff and I worked to get this thread up to speed in Mark’s absence.

Here are the results for the first Friday in December:

Week ending 12/04/2020: 28 participants reported a total loss of -16.00 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Expat in NZ +1.80
VivianS +1.40
lmggallagher +1.20
PonysPlants +0.60
jan_npr +0.60
Wfpb2020 +0.40
Total gains: +6.00
josietheschnauzer 0.0
Noella 0.0
sunkissed 0.0
Rita<3 0.0
GreenFroG 0.0
gimmelean 0.0
CUgorji22 0.0
AnneG 0.0
Growing a Pear -0.50
Hope410 -0.80
Marla -0.80
Veganjo -1.00
jkcook -1.00
cmcavazos -1.00
chef16 -1.00
Rebecka22 -1.40
squealcat -1.50
wstokes -1.60
texaslil -1.60
Kelly140 -2.00
CindyD -2.20
NancyNancyR -5.60
Total losses: -22.00
Cumulative group loss for December 2020 to date: 16.00 pounds
Average loss for week ending December 4: 0.57 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2020: 384.15 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2020: 96.60 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2020: 60.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2020: 218.00 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2020: 191.50 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2020: 120.63 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2020: 524.80 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2020: 240.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2020: 172.61 pounds
Cumulative group loss for October 2020: 216.25 pounds
Cumulative group loss for November 2020: 59.90 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, December 11, 2020.

I hope no-one is discouraged by the smaller numbers from November and this first week of December. The group is about half the size that it was in July. We're in the colder weather months for the Northern Hemisphere. We've started the holiday season where the vast majority of SAD-eating people are packing on the pounds with glee and abandon. The fact that we're holding our own and continuing to slowly lose is something in which we can take great pride.

We all have an opportunity in these first weeks of December to approach the end-of-the-month holidays with serenity and confidence instead of stress and exhaustion. The more stable our food is, the better foundation (both physical and mental) we will have when life takes on its usual holiday craziness. What I have found works for me is to surround myself with simplicity in my meals (and also in the number of activities I take on) as much as possible. Then when things beyond my control aren't so simple, I have something to fall back on. It's like willpower -- we have a finite supply, so if we can set up a buffer in our lives where we have to use less at the outset, we'll have more in reserve.

Tis the season for fancy food and elaborate recipes. If that is your tradition, find a way to adapt those recipes as much as possible to MWL guidelines. Your waistline and your cholesterol numbers will thank you in the end. And if an off-plan "treat" jumps into your mouth? Make the very next bite you take be something that supports your plan and nourishes your body. Then go on to make good choices for the next meal. And the next. And the next.

Hope you all have a good week!

Goose
wildgoose

Postby louie3084 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi all - I'm back, I've gained about 2kg that I would like to lose before Christmas. I was in the forum in September/October but slacked off! I do need the accountability. Thanks for having me!
louie3084

Postby wildgoose » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm

louie3084 wrote:Hi all - I'm back, I've gained about 2kg that I would like to lose before Christmas. I was in the forum in September/October but slacked off! I do need the accountability. Thanks for having me!

@louie3084 Welcome back! We're happy to have you here, and we look forward to your first report next Friday.

The guidelines for reporting have changed a little since you were here last, and we're asking participants to follow a format that details their progress by using the MWL Ten-Point Checklist. Please take a look at the Orientation material to familiarize yourself. There’s a template included, which makes reporting very easy.

Goose
wildgoose

Re: Replies for December 4 - Part 2

Postby texaslil » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:01 am

wildgoose wrote:texaslil — Annual cookie baking day sounds like a real challenge. All I can advise is keep the focus on the joy of spending time with your mom and kiddos, and away from the cookies. As soon as they’re cool, package them up for gifting and keep them off the open plates/racks where you’ll be tempted to nibble. We just had massive fruitcake baking day here. It’s a family tradition that goes back 5 generations, and I’m not getting out of it any time soon. So I know how you feel. Good luck!

Goose

Wildgoose, Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I have decided to make a batch of my kids' favorite holiday cookies but then make homemade mustard for the remainder of my holiday food gifts. It should be a fun experiment! I also want to thank you for sharing your story on your MWL journey (I followed the links below your tracker) and how you determined your goal weight, it was inspiring for me! I am curious, do you still do the MWL or have you added back in avocados, nuts, tofu etc..? Thanks!
texaslil

Re: Replies for December 4 - Part 2

Postby wildgoose » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 am

texaslil wrote:Wildgoose, Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I have decided to make a batch of my kids' favorite holiday cookies but then make homemade mustard for the remainder of my holiday food gifts. It should be a fun experiment! I also want to thank you for sharing your story on your MWL journey (I followed the links below your tracker) and how you determined your goal weight, it was inspiring for me! I am curious, do you still do the MWL or have you added back in avocados, nuts, tofu etc..? Thanks!

@texaslil Your homemade mustard sounds like a great idea for a unique and special gift. You can start a new tradition!

I still eat probably 95% MWL. I don’t find it restrictive, I just feel good eating this way. I’ve added in a few more servings of fruit, and some condiments (mostly drizzles of the reduced balsamic vinegars). Occasionally at Christmas I’ll get a 1 lb bag of nuts in the shell and eat them sparingly through the holiday season. We have an antique cast-iron dog nutcracker (you lift his tail and put the nut in his mouth to crack it) that’s been in my family, always sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace, since my grandmother was a child. Cracking the nuts is more fun than eating them :lol:!

But ordinarily, no nuts. No avocado, no tofu. There are black olives on the huge tray of raw veggies that I do for every holiday, and I’ll have a few of those, but only for the one meal.

I’m also sensitive to quite a few things, while other things are just too close to the Pleasure Trap for me. Salt raises my blood pressure (another reason I don’t have those olives very often!). I feel better when I don’t eat wheat. Sweets (even "legal" ones that aren’t that sweet) and flour products kick off major cravings. Rice cakes make me overeat and gain weight. Tomatoes make my joint pain flare up. Etc. Etc. When I deviate from on-Plan eating, my body lets me know it. There are times when I consciously decide that feeling not-so-good for a week or so might be an OK tradeoff for being able to enjoy some food or other (which I did this Thanksgiving, but I’m not in a hurry to do again!). Normally, however, it’s almost all MWL, and I’m very satisfied with that.

Long answer to a short question, but there it is. It’s a good question, though, because we each have to answer for ourselves the question of what eating plan are we going to be comfortable with for the rest of our lives. The answer, by the way, isn’t cast in stone. It evolves. When I first started a very limited version of MWL, I thought no way could I ever do this for more than a few months. Over time, I derived the way of eating that works for me, keeps me healthy, mostly pain-free, and at a weight where I’m happy. I don’t have to think much about it — I just do it, as a part of regular life.

Goose
wildgoose

Postby louie3084 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:04 pm

That's great wildgoose. I also read the post in your footer. Very impressive!
louie3084

Postby texaslil » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks Wildgoose! I will have to think about this for a bit. I agree, at this point it's hard for me to think about doing MWL forever. I have no problem eating above the red line, like you, it feels good to eat this way. I do however have several dinners that I prepare that call for avocado/tofu etc, that my family enjoys immensely and I don't really want to give them up. So, hopefully there will be a time when I would add them back in and not feel guilty. I will have to experiment once I reach my goal weight. :)
texaslil

Postby wildgoose » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:18 am

texaslil wrote:Thanks Wildgoose! I will have to think about this for a bit. I agree, at this point it's hard for me to think about doing MWL forever. I have no problem eating above the red line, like you, it feels good to eat this way. I do however have several dinners that I prepare that call for avocado/tofu etc, that my family enjoys immensely and I don't really want to give them up. So, hopefully there will be a time when I would add them back in and not feel guilty. I will have to experiment once I reach my goal weight. :)

@texaslil Remember, everything is a choice, everything is on a continuum, everyone is an individual. There are lots of people out there who return to the regular McDougall program after they reach their goal weight and are able to maintain good health/optimum weight eating the occasional meal containing richer plant foods. It’s entirely possible that you will be one of those people.

The good news is that you have all the tools you need. So, let's say that sometime in the future, you decide to cook some of those favorite dinners. You and your family enjoy them, and you see how you feel. If you feel well and your weight stays stable over time (don’t weigh yourself the next day and make your decision based on that), you have your answer.

If your weight starts creeping up (again, over time), you get to decide on your best strategy. Maybe dilution would work — enjoy some of the richer food, but "dilute" the overall calorie density of the meal by eating more salad or non-starchy vegetables along with it. Maybe you decide to make those recipes less frequently. Maybe you decide to eat MWL part of the time, regular McDougall program part of the time, so that the average calorie density over time of what you eat is lower. You have a fallback program (MWL) that will always work for you, but the possibilities are endless for your future eating program.

Keep all that in the back of your mind for the future. What I do works for me. It’s not necessarily what will work best for you. You don’t need to make up your mind about it for a while yet. Just know that when you reach your goal, you have the knowledge and the experience to do what you need to do to stay there.

ETA There’s more to my story too. No, I don’t eat avocado and tofu. The Gander doesn’t like avocado, and he’s suspicious of tofu :lol:. We live in Illinois, where avocados are more expensive and in my opinion not that good — if I were in California, or Texas, I might reconsider. I’m just too lazy to mess with tofu most of the time, even if the Gander were inclined to eat it. So the reasons behind my choices for maintenance eating aren’t just MWL or non-MWL, but they take into account ordinary real-life circumstances, just as your long-term choices will ;-)

Goose
wildgoose

Postby texaslil » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks Wildgoose! You have given me a lot to think about and it actually feels very intuitive and makes sense to me. I agree that now that I know about the MWL, I always know how to self correct if I get off-course. I am so looking forward to finding out what my maintenance will look like! I'm about halfway there :-D
texaslil

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program