December 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: December 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby cmcavazos » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:27 am

Weight change- -1#

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO - 5/7 - I added raw pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to several dishes.
6. Eliminate any added oil. - YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO - 5/7 -- I had several slices of WW homemade bread during the week.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories -- I was able to exercise daily this week -- walking and Zumba classes. I kept my meals and food prep simple. I took some apples to keep in the workplace refrigerator to eat when temptation hits. -- There is a staff birthday party today. My plan is to drop off my contribution, stay briefly, have a cup of coffee or water along with the group, and then leave. I am committing to enjoy the company, not the food.

Comments -- I appreciate that this group is helping me work the plan through the holidays. The accountability is what keeps me focused on my food choices.

Happy Holidays to all -- I will be checking in again next Friday.

FYI -- If a TickerFactory is displayed at the end of this message, it does not reflect my current weight/BMI. I couldn't figure out how to change it or drop it from my message.
cmcavazos

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:34 am

Hi all,

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: My victory is that I lost a little even though we have some family visiting with us for a week from this Wednesday until next - a little Christmas early. My concern is that I feel like I am really struggling with the popcorn tins and the tortilla chips that are open. So far I only had a taste of both and walked away, but that taste was enough to trigger cravings - hence the thumbs down on #7.They have been so good about not offering me anything and encouraging me, so I have had a lot of support..just feeling a little weak at the knees. It was my own hand that slipped in for "just a taste". Also did not do well on #10 as my exercise routine is sporadic this week. I felt so good about Thanksgiving, I think I got a little over confident -- will have to watch myself closely. The accountability really helps!

Thank you Wildgoose for filling in! I am so thankful for this group -- I have learned so much and the learning continues...
GreenFroG

Postby wstokes » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:35 am

+2.2 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 80%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. 70%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods. 75%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. 95%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 90%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods. 70%
8. Don't drink your calories. 100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. 85%
10. Avoid being sedentary. 100%

I hate to see this increase...last week had some schedule surprises, stress eating, and just regular old lapse/cheats. I am still down 45 lbs since 12/31/19 and have 11 lbs left to go to get to a BMI of 24 (now I am 25.5). Since 8/1/2020, my weight has fluctuated in a 5 pound window (184-189)...that seems consistent. I'm at 188 today. Maybe I need to let this range settle for a while, then push for the next 11lbs after a while. I don't like going up this week, but it does look like I am staying in a much more attractive range than 12 months ago.
wstokes

Postby Marla » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Weight change: -1.4

Answers for the week of December 4 - December 10

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.Yes, every single meal :D

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes, every single meal :D

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). One day (December 4) I didn't manage to exercise, but I exercised for at least an hour on the other 6 days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
I am proud of myself this week; I really put energy into working the checklist every single day. It occurred to me that if I didn't keep a detailed food log, my memory of the week would be pretty fuzzy by Friday. Keeping a log makes it possible to go back and see exactly how I did.

I have realized that exercise is important. I absolutely know that I can't out-exercise a bad diet, and getting the food right is the main factor in successful weight loss. However it's clear to me that when I am already doing a good job with the food, adding a little more exercise can make a measurable difference.

Staying full and satisfied has been key to helping me resist all the holiday temptations that are out there right now. They do call to me, but not nearly as loudly if I've recently eaten a satisfying MWL meal.

Thank you Wildgoose for continuing to fill in, and for your insightful and compassionate responses, which I love reading. :nod:

Marla

Postby VivianS » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:50 pm

VivianS December 11, 2020 weigh in

Weight change -1.4 loss I weigh 144 pounds I am back to my Nov. 27 weight.
I have eaten MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS compliant foods all week in the way prescribed, but I have eaten lots of food and worked lots of hours. My waistline is still 35 inches!
I have been compliant to all aspects of the MWL checklist.

1. Start each meal with a soup and / or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50 / 50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate ( by visual volume ) with nonstarchy vegetables and 50 % ( by visual volume ) with nonstarchy vegetables and 50 % ( by visual volume ) and 50 % ( by visual volume ) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods ( dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood ). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher calorie - dense foods including flour products ( i.e. , nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy ). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie - dense foods including flour products ( i.e. , nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy ). Yes
8. Don't drink your calories ( especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages ). Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily ( i.e. , brisk walking ). I need to get back to brisk walking. I have done a lot of brisk working and long hours of attending to my sick husband this week. I thank God that my husband is better now. I have plenty of Maximum Weight Loss checklist on on hand. I have not had trouble staying on my diet, but it have eaten more and seen my weight go up and down this week. I am still alive and healthy. I am grateful. Thank you , Dr. John McDougall, the board, Jeff Novick, Wildgoose , Mark, your computer team, and other participants for this program. I am going to the YMCA to exercise now. Enjoy your week!
Last edited by VivianS on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VivianS

Postby louie3084 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Weight loss 0.6kg so now 58.2kg. Would like to lose another 1kg.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. MOSTLY, trying to reduce salt in dinners I cook for the family. A little too much sugar with oatmeal at the end of the day!!
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES, except one meal with cashews
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES, except the crust on the pot pie.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Could reduce jam/sugar that I add to oats at the end of the day and also try to stop eating earlier in the day (I know that's not a McDougall thing though is it??).

:-)
louie3084

Postby Noella » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:07 pm

No Weight change again this week: +/ - zero (0) pounds
Current weight :162
Goal: 140
Starting weight 240

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily YES I went cross country skiing most days.the trails daily. Classic skis are MUCH easier on my knees than walking is, so I am so excited to be getting a better workout each day. I have skate skis too, but I haven’t tried these yet this season; in the past they provide me with a more athletic work out and are super fun, but, they put more strain on my knees so I’m taking it easy, increasing the number of kilometers I do in tiny increments and trying to do a little bit more skiing each day.

My appetite is up slightly since started skiing every day and I am also craving salt again. I have come so far on my weight loss and I’m not willing to let things slip. I don’t want to start over. I can tell that the next three weeks are going to be challenging for me due to the festive foods and celebrations associated with the holiday season. I know I will be enticed by some non-MWL foods and I REALLY want to stay the course.

A little Christmas magic to you all,

Noella
Last edited by Noella on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noella

Replies for December 11 -- Part 1

Postby wildgoose » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Expat in NZ — A loss is a loss indeed, even a small one! You may be reacting to your new weightlifting program, but the next week or so will tell. My experience has been that potatoes or sweet potatoes tend to be more satiating, and I tend to eat less overall when I’m using them for my main starch. That said, I still eat a lot of brown rice as well. It will be interesting to see how your experiment goes.

PonysPlants — Nice loss this week! Doesn’t look like those nori snacks hurt you :) It’s easy to eat something like that because it’s plant-based and then think “oops.” As for Christmas dishes, you could do something like a wild rice stuffing that people usually use to stuff squash (minus the squash). Or a festive hearty soup with lots of sides. The Gander and I usually are pretty non-traditional for holiday meals (one year we had pasta and marinara!), and I’m not much of an adventurous cook, so I’m not the best to respond to your question. Hope you get other suggestions from the group.

josietheschnauzer — Congrats on 26 pounds down since March! That’s fantastic progress. Soy sauce isn’t usually high in fat, but it’s very high in sodium — that’s where it can cause problems. If a little added salt isn’t a problem for you, this may be OK. but it’s easy for condiments can go from a “slight amount” to a hefty serving of you’re not vigilant. However, the extra sodium may be contributing to some water weight, so it might be worth cutting it out and seeing if you see any results.

Wfpb2020 — A lot of my exercise is indoors. I have an exercise bike, but for walking, I will sometimes do a Leslie Sansone walking video. If you have weights, you might think of doing a day of resistance exercising to intersperse with your walking days (and time those days around the weather forecast). My next-door neighbor is an intrepid walker and goes out in any kind of weather. She purchased a rain suit (the kind that “breathes” so she isn’t uncomfortably hot) so she can still walk, even if it’s raining. She loves to walk. hates to miss a day, and just can’t stand exercising indoors.

squealcat — One noncompliant takeout meal, particularly if it wasn't prepared the way you wanted, can cause so much trouble! Been there, done that, I don’t know how many times. As you figured out, it can take a good 5 days or more to start feeling “normal” again and not want to eat everything in sight. But you were able to climb out of the trap and get right back on track, so high praise to you for that! Good plan to make some veggie soup. Having that around can go a long way toward diluting the calorie density of your overall eating. I think soup works better than salad in that regard (in addition to the fact that I like soup much better than I like salad :lol:). Jeff has written a good post on this as well: On Salad, Soup, and Success.

NancyNancyR — In the battle of you vs. the avocado oil, you didn’t let the oil get the upper hand! Good for you to banish that bottle. Just don’t let it call to you from its hiding place. The rest of your week looks really good, though, and your results were excellent. Hope getting back to the Y makes you feel better. Sometimes exercise increases your energy level.

CindyD — Another great loss! Looks like potatoes as your main starch is really working for you. That Bengal Spice herbal tea sounds wonderful. I’ve never tried that particular flavor, but I can see where it would be a great weapon against those office treat-pushers. :) The fragrance is probably as nice as the taste.

Rebecka22 — It’s easy for a little bit here, a little bit there to add up. That’s why the 10-Point Checklist is so useful — it lets you see your behavior as a whole. You should indeed feel good about managing your holiday temptations and gaining confidence in being able to get through the season successfully. The success builds on itself, too — the more you succeed, the more you know you can do it and the less stressful the holidays become.

cmcavazos — You’re doing two things that I’ve found to be key to ongoing success at MWL — keeping meals/food prep simple and planning ahead (both in having compliant food available for fighting temptation and in having a strategy for dealing with celebrations or social activities). Good job! I like your commitment to “enjoy the company, not the food.”
I’m not sure what ticker you are using, but it looks like you managed to turn it off (you can do this by either erasing the link or turning off your signature, both of which you do from your User Control Panel). For the ticker I use, I can update it just by double-clicking on it from any of my posts here. It requires a PIN to update, which I occasionally forget :). In that case, I just create a new ticker, paste the new link into my signature file in my User Control Panel, and hope I remember the PIN next time.

GreenFroG — Congratulations on posting a loss even with family visiting. Yes, those salty snacks will trigger cravings. I’d have a hard time staying away from them too. Would your family consider putting them in a room you don’t go into as much, rather than leaving them out where they’re always visible and easily accessible? Sounds like they’re being great at supporting you, so maybe this is something you can brainstorm with them. And when they leave, I hope they take the snacks with them!

wstokes — You may be right that you’re just in a fluctuation stage in the 5-pound window you’ve been in since August. You get to decide whether to stay in that range for a while or press onward. Plus, you’re getting to within 11 pounds of your BMI 24 goal, which means that further weight loss is going to require more diligence than it did when you first started 45 pounds ago (which is outstanding — congratulations!). It probably means that 75% on checklist point #4. 70% on #7, and 90-95% on #5 and #6, especially all together, isn’t going to give you the results you’re looking for. You could try an experiment where you went all-in and aimed for 100% compliance on the checklist for a few weeks, just to see what happens. You might be surprised.

Marla — Great job! Particularly every single meal on checklist points #1 and #2. I agree that keeping a food log helps. It’s impossible to remember everything you ate and did all week without some kind of record. I still journal everything I eat. I tried letting it go after I achieved my goal weight, and I found I wasn’t nearly so successful without it. You’re also right about not being able to out-exercise a bad diet, but exercise does help, not only in weight loss but in overall health and mental well-being. And staying satisfied with healthy MWL food can go a long way toward keeping those holiday goodies from leaping into your mouth!

VivianS — Glad to hear you’re back to your end-of-November weight, and that your husband is doing better. Your adherence to the checklist is very good. I don’t know how old you are, but I found that my waist didn’t go down as much or as fast in my most recent episode of weight loss as it did when I lost a lot of weight 15 years ago. This time I stayed at a 35 inch waist for a long time. Eventually, I got my waist down to 31 inches, but I weigh 20 pounds less now than I did the last time my waist was at 31. I chalk it up to the effects of age on changing body shape, particularly in women.

louie3084 — I translated your 0.6 kg to 1.3 pounds. Could you please report your weight changes in pounds in the future? We’d really appreciate it.
You’re really close to your weight loss goal, so reducing the jam/sugar in your oatmeal may be something you need to do to take off the last bit of weight. You’re right, stopping eating earlier in the day (or any form of intermittent fasting / restrictive eating window) isn’t part of the McDougall plan. I think breaking an evening / before-bed snacking habit, if you have one, can be useful, but consciously moving your last meal of the day earlier isn’t recommended. It never worked for me anyway — I found I was just hungrier earlier the next day!

Noella — You sound like you’re really enjoying your skiing. Nice that you live in a snowy climate! Working up to a level that you want to achieve is a good idea, particularly for your knees. I’m not surprised that you’re eating more as you’re increasing your exercise. As for the salt, if you’re not eating anything that’s higher in sodium to trigger salt cravings (look at this one carefully — sodium can sneak in in the most unlikely places), you may be losing salt through extra exercise and wanting more as a result. Love your Christmassy name — “NOEL-la.”

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby AnneG » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:46 pm

Weight change +/- in pounds: -7.1 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. yes
3. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
5. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
6. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes with the exception of 2 TB of ground flax daily for dry eyes which allows me to avoid medication
7. Eliminate any added oil. yes
8. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yes
9. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

This was my first week back on MWL after almost 2 years and it was very successful. I was in compliance with the planned exception of eating flax daily for my eyes. Batch cooking on the weekend is a big help for me, both because of time and keeping healthy choices quickly available. I am seeing some non-scale victories already, as well; I have less joint pain and my clothes are fitting better!
AnneG

Postby Rita<3 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:22 am

Weight -> 169.0
Previous week-> 170.5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. yes
3. Choose fruit for dessert. Y
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Y
5. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Y
6. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Y
7. Eliminate any added oil. yes
8. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Y *question, can we have popcorn at all? I thank you!!
9. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Y
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Y

This week went well & I did find it easier to just repeat the same meals as last week, but I did discover the root cause of the gain; it was a fruit purée that was in a salad dressing I bought. :duh: It was fat free & low in calories, but that was an odd addition.

I’m really grateful & excited to be able to witness this change in my body!!
I wish everyone well & congratulate everyone for putting in extra effort this time of the year!! That certainly ain’t easy. Let’s hang in there!! I thank you!
Rita<3

Postby Tian-De » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:27 am

Hi Goose and All,

It's been a wild ride, but I'm back again. I was originally planning to come back in January, but a step on the scale (At the behest of my Tài-Tài) last night revealed that it was time.

I stopped posting last August because I wanted to focus on learning Polyphasic sleep -super fun stuff- but didn't realize that staying up for and extra three or four hours a day can make one extremely hungry. Pair that with a weaker conscious mind due to slept debt and you have a Ben and Jerry's-fueled recipe for disaster.

Four months later, I'm shamelessly downing a bags of choclate chips before dinner and then going out to eat [veggie] burgers and fries [and most of my wife's fries].

I REGRET ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

(This was a fun experiment, but let's look at some numbers anyway.)

Last March: Before MWL 170 lbs
August After 4 Months of MWL: 154.5 lbs (Four Months Later)
Last Night: 170 lbs (Four Months Later) :-o

Anyway, 12/12 seems like a better day than 1/1 to get started, so here I am clocking in. Not even going to bother to check the guidelines off this week, but in a nutshell, my breakfasts and lunches have been Starch Solution compliant for the most part, but dinner is where I fall apart completely. That post dinner cram circuit, gets you every time. I mean, who on earth eats a bowl of walnuts and chocolate chips after dinner, and then when it's gone, makes another bleeping bowl of chocolate chips and walnuts? And then another!>

Also have done very little physical exercise since August.

Anyway, happy to be back.
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Postby Lachoffman » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:17 am

Weigh in at 175, for a gain of .5.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 90%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.90%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 85%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 90%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 90%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 90%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 85%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 95%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 90%

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I am struggling at the moment in that I lost my father on 11/17/20 and while I've stayed mostly on program I find myself less disciplined than usual. His death has really taken a lot out of me emotionally, I think. I am still committed to this and want to finish the year strong. I am going to make an extra effort this week to get closer to 100% on all the points above.
Lachoffman

Postby chef16 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:06 am

12/04/2020 233#
12/11/2020 235#
+2#
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 50%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 90%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 90%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 75%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 75%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 50%

This is the first time I have gained weight since I started this. I am really feeling sad and upset. I knew I was off track and have not been able to pull myself together and commit to it like I have been. It scares me because I really need to loose a lot more and not gain back what I have already lost. I know what I have to do ! I just need to do it :-( :-(
Doreen
chef16

Postby Zoey » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:53 am

Dearest Wildgoose, what an awesome job you're doing! This is not an easy job for Mark or for you, and you both set the bar so high. Well done.

I'm happy to report a one pound loss this week. (I didn't see the group post last week until it was too late, so I'm just jumping right in.)

Now that's only one pound of the four that I gained on Thanksgiving. But I gain overnight and lose over a year, that's just the way this turtle rolls. I'm not discouraged. I actually feel great every day with the recent memory of the misery that overindulgence brings.

Now for the rundown:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yep
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yep
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yep
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yep
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yep
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yep
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No problem until last night. I couldn't resist my husband's freshly baked bread. Oopsie.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yep
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Goes back to blowing #7. I wasn't hungry when I came home to that bread, yet I ate it anyway. At least it was only once all week.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yep

So I'm happily plugging along, and hoping to start next year in a better place than I started this one.
Good luck, everyone!
Zoey

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:38 am

Happy Saturday, all :-D   

Last week's weigh-in, 12/04/2020 = 148.8lbs
This week's weigh-in, 12/11/2020 = 146.8lbs  
*Loss = 2.0lbs*

*Guidelines:
Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant 7/7 days
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant 7/7 days
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant 6/7 days
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate any added oil. Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant 6/7 days
Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant 7/7 days
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant 6/7 days
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Compliant 4/7 days + 1 day on my exercise bike for 20 minutes

*Summary:
- My not so good points = (1) Shared a bowl of vegan, kettle corn for a movie night with my hubby. I can tell my taste buds have changed. The kettle corn tasted good BUT was wayyyy too sweet (what was I thinking?) & it wasn't as awesome as my family said it was. #pleasuretrap (2) Friday, I felt like I was starving at lunch time. I piled food on to my 50/50 plate. Even my kids said, "That's a lot of food, Mom." I thought, "Well, it's compliant & I'm VERY hungry." I didn't finish all of my food & still felt stuffed...I ate a few bites over "feeling full." I've been trying to focus on finishing meals with the resolve that I don't have to feel full. (Working on self-control in my character.) For that specific meal, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I just need to watch out for that.   

- My good points = (1) Very pleased with my weight loss this week! Slow & steady! (2) I felt this week was successful overall. (3) I made a few new MWL recipes from Dr. McDougall's website & my family enjoyed each of them...YAY!! (4) I am getting back on track with my pre-loader for each meal which I feel really good about! (5) So so happy I was able to go from 2 days of exercise to 5 days (I can only count 4 days on the Guidelines because 1 day was only 20mins)...FELT SO GOOD! I had muscle soreness on Thursday from my Wednesday personal training session. I was determined to still work-out but needed to be careful about the intensity because of my soreness. I did Zumba for 30mins (thanks to YouTube) which was perfect!

*My BIG thing right now is considering how to have a compliant birthday. It's coming up in a couple weeks. That day is usually one filled with ALL my favorite vegan treats I can get my hands on because I've always thought (and been told) "I deserve it!" I want this year to be different...I have committed to gift myself better health this year & I don't want to blow it all to smoke for 1 day. I found a compliant "McDougall Kitchen" dessert recipe that I'm considering. But...I vacillate & tell myself 1 or 2 treats may not be so bad. UGH! Open to your thoughts/suggestions!

Thanks for taking time to read & evaluate my week!
~Chesca~
CUgorji22

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program