January 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

January 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:27 am

January 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Welcome to the MWL Group!

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:30 am

A new thread for a NEW YEAR! Let me offer a warm welcome to all our current and continuing MWL group participants! If you participated during the previous month and would like to continue, you are most welcome to do so and there is no need to take any further action. If you are a new entrant and would like to join the group, please thoroughly review the Orientation Information, and follow the instructions for registering your participation.

The paramount requirement for this group is to commit to follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss program as defined by the MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist. We don't expect perfection, because making these changes in behavior is extremely difficult; however, the intent of participation for the group is important - are you willing to make an honest attempt to follow the guidelines as intended, and keep trying to work toward improvements when you are struggling? If so, you are in the right place, no matter what your starting point is, and how much (or little) success you may feel you're having at the moment. Intentionally planning NOT to follow the guidelines, or not attempting to make changes in the appropriate behaviors when needed, however, doesn't serve the individual participant well, nor is it good for the group as a whole.

Additionally, if you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in and behavioral assessment, we expect you to observe the timeframe and context, as outlined below. Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the weekly summary, or receive replies.

Please post your report in the following format -

• Weight change +/- in lbs
  • Assess the week in regard to each of the recommendations from the MWL 10-Point Checklist, at least in brief.
  • Feel free to elaborate on specific points from the MWL Checklist where you succeeded and /or those that need greater attention, if that feels appropriate and applicable.
  • Victories, comments, concerns, questions
You are welcome to make use of the template below when composing your weekly report.

Template for Weekly MWL Weigh-In and Behavioral Assessment
To apply this template, use your cursor to highlight all the text in the code box, copy it (on most systems you can do this with a right click & copy, or Ctrl+C on the keyboard) and paste the text into your own post (right click & paste, or Ctrl+V). Feel free to add bold text, italics, underlining, &c, if you feel it would be helpful in communicating your assessment.

Code: Select all
Weight change +/- in lbs: 

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. Eliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Thank you in advance for your participation, cooperation and kindness! Let's start the year off right with a bounty of learning, growth and progress!
Mark Cooper

Re: January 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby OrangeBird » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Mark,
I'd like to rejoin the group if I may. Fell off the wagon and got drug behind it for a few miles but I'm back in and ready to go. :)

OrangeBird
OrangeBird

Postby cbritten101 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:37 pm

I'm ready to jump in for January. I've read the guidelines and will follow them :)
Focus on the Journey, not the Destination
cbritten101

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:42 am

OrangeBird - Hello! This is a great time to "climb back on the wagon!" Please be sure to review the Orientation Materials so you'll have a full understanding of the current guidelines and expectations for the group; post here after completing the orientation and you'll be all set. :)

Cbritten101 - Welcome back, Carrie! You are in for January!
Mark Cooper

Postby oneesotericgirl » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:53 pm

Hey Mark.
I had a super rough December and am back to my starting weight from when I started again in August. But I finally feel ready to give a committed effort to making these changes. I'm hoping keeping close with the group will help encourage me and keep me accountable.
I'd love to join in the January weigh in group.
Thanks! And Cheers to the new year!

Starting weight is 217

Keep Moving Forward
oneesotericgirl

Postby OrangeBird » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:32 am

[quote="Mark Cooper"]OrangeBird - Hello! This is a great time to "climb back on the wagon!" Please be sure to review the Orientation Materials so you'll have a full understanding of the current guidelines and expectations for the group; post here after completing the orientation and you'll be all set. :)

Thanks Mark! I read through the orientation info yesterday :)
OrangeBird

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:47 am

oneesotericgirl - Today is always the best day to make a committed effort to change! Please be sure to review the Orientation Materials with the current guidelines and expectations for the group; post here after completing the orientation and you'll be ready to go.

OrangeBird -
OrangeBird wrote:Thanks Mark! I read through the orientation info yesterday :)
:thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby oneesotericgirl » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:16 am

[
quote="Mark Cooper"]oneesotericgirl - Today is always the best day to make a committed effort to change! Please be sure to review the Orientation Materials with the current guidelines and expectations for the group; post here after completing the orientation and you'll be ready to go.]

Thanks for including all the that awesome info! Read thru the orientation post again. I'm ready! Let's go!
Good luck to all!

Keep Moving Forward
oneesotericgirl

Postby [email protected] » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:39 am

Hello! I would like to join the MWL Group. I have reviewed the orientation materials and accept the expressed guidelines. I look forward to connecting with the community.

Aaron
[email protected]

Postby utcynutcyn » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:43 am

Hello! I would like to join the MWL Group. I have reviewed the orientation materials. Thanks!
Cynthia
Starting weight is 147.8 Goal weight is 130.
utcynutcyn

Postby Lisaishere » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 am

Hi There!
I followed MacDougall many years ago and collectively the group I started with lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 725 lbs. I had gotten down to pre-pregnancy weight and felt amazing. For the following several years I followed it loosely and was able to maintain my weight. But, I’ve remarried and had another beautiful child, now the older child is working through some difficult trauma (effects us all), hubs is about 50% out of Neanderthal thinking regarding child rearing, and then comes CoVid-19. Can anyone say stress? He he he! Well, I just about leaped off my good eating wagon and have the sad proof of weight gain to prove it! I am ready to take back control and eat well to heal my body and live life to the fullest! By the way, I still live with some of the fringe benefits from eating well for all those years...I am fifty-five and take no medications! Hallelujah! I want to read more, but was wondering what Dr M thinks about Oatmilk and the other recent craze of coconut oil!
Thank you Dr MacDougall for all that you have pioneered! It’s making a difference in countless lives!
I’d like to join the January MWL group. Will read the materials today!

Lisa here! :-D
Lisaishere

Postby brookelikesrunning » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi everyone!
Last month I read the book, and just read though all the orientation materials. I’d like to be added!
I followed the Starch Solution many years ago when first becoming vegan, however I am now unfortunately severely allergic to wheat, oats and potatoes. As oats and potatoes were staples in my diet as well as whole wheat bread, the diet became hard to follow and I began to eat high fat junk food. As a result I gained back weight I had lost prior to becoming vegan! I also struggle with hypothyroidism.
I’ve been cooking different grains- like millet, farro, etc. And different kinds of potatoes- yams, sweet potatoes, purple potatoes.

Brooke
brookelikesrunning

Postby NonnyC » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:08 pm

Please add me to January MWL group. I hand read the orientation materials and I am ready to get started!
NonnyC

Postby dbrhw » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Hello,

I joined some months ago and was distracted... however, I commit to this group, to follow the guidelines and a fresh start. Thank you for being here.
Last edited by dbrhw on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbrhw

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program