January 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mark's Replies for January 22 - Part 2

Postby Gimmelean » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:28 pm

b]
Gimmelean[/b] - That Pleasure Trap trifecta is a real 800-pound gorilla, right? You sound well-prepared to face the challenge of clawing your way out of that trap; you are right that it may feel like a very arduous climb, especially at first. Dr. Lisle's lecture discussing the Cram Circuit may offer some additional insight; ultimately, I believe he says we have to "white knuckle it" for a while to break that conditioning. I look forward to your future smugness! :lol
:

Mark - Thank you so very much for recommending Dr. Lisle’s Cram Circuit lecture. It is exactly what will help me because what he described was ME. I wish I had this information years ago to understand what’s been driving my eating habits,and seeming lack of control. Most importantly, it helped me to understand why I manage well, and then months later, suddenly not.

For members of the group who also struggle with eating past satiety or with recreational eating after dinner, I highly recommend it!
Gimmelean

Re: January 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby josietheschnauzer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:50 pm

Thank you, Jeff. It does help. I, too, am amazed at the salt free products now available. For those that aren't, like my precious artichokes...yet....I will only buy frozen. Who knows, I might even write a letter to the company and ask for a salt free version....never tried that before....
josietheschnauzer

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:39 am

Gained 2.4lbs. I really had to bully myself into posting this week! Safe to say my birthday was fully celebrated. Surprise cakes and vegan brownies arrived and I fell deep into the pleasure trap. Despite telling myself that I would just have a bit of cake and one brownie that didn’t happen. We also had takeaway food on my birthday which I’m sure was packed with salt and oil. The level of power this hyper palatable “food” has is quite incredible. Onwards and upwards and back on track is all I can do.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NO
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. NO
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO. Had green juice as (another) birthday treat.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. YES. Still did Pilates in the morning and a workout in the afternoon.

I’ve been thinking a lot about a woman I saw in an interview who was talking about failed diet attempts in her past. Including one time where she dieted to reach her goal weight and was at her goal weight for 20 minutes before she rewarded herself and started putting all of the weight back on. I do not want this for myself.

Thanks to the moderators, especially Mark. You’re all very much appreciated.

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby HoustonJason » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:14 am

From Houston Jason
Original Weight = 252 on January 1. 2021 January 8 = 244 January 15 = 237 -7 pounds
January 22 = 234 -3 pounds January 29 = 231 -3

Weight change +/- in lbs: -3 pounds

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
I’m improving at this, but not for every meal.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
I did well but sometimes it’s 60/40 or 70/30. I’m not eating desserts at all - knowing when I’m done is one of the things that I am working on.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
I think I’m doing great at this.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
I had baked tortilla chips and salsa a couple of times this week as a snack.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
I drink coffee with unsweetened almond milk each morning. I went to a bar and grill to watch the football game with friends and thought I was ordering a sparkling water but it was a “hard seltzer” with 100 calories. Ha ha. I got an unexpected “treat”. I exercised a little extra that night.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I’m jumping on the rebounder for 20-30 minutes a day. I started using 2 lb weights in each hand to jump with.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: IT'S WORKING! I’m into the lifestyle now. I’m beginning to get beyond the habit forming stage. 4 weeks and I’m very proud of my progress. I'm starting to see the difference in my face and waist. Thanks for your help. It means a lot to know I’m checking in with you and the other people checking in. Keep it up, everyone!

Jason
HoustonJason

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:19 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.9 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).yes
6. Eliminate any added oil.yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.I had one afternoon that I did not do this and I had one slice of my husbands fresh made whole wheat bread (dry) last night
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).didn't do this one time
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).walked 3 miles 4 out of 7 days this week

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:Very happy with my weight loss this week especially since I had one tough afternoon earlier in the week. I continue to have a very large salad at lunch and sometimes that is all I have. Veggie soup before dinner is working well too. I had to miss one day of walking due to a doctor appointment but that's ok. I will be back at it this morning.
I very much appreciate this group and all the support from them and from Mark, Jeff and Wildgoose . Thank you ! I will be back in February !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:47 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.4 pounds  

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: It wasn’t one hundred percent this week and it wasn’t easy. I only had one meal where I ate the pot pie crust. I had made just filling for me, but when dinner came I really wanted the actual meal and gave in. I did however skip the birthday cake and ice cream and the many treats I was presented with all week. I felt like this week was hard, but having the checklist and the group helped me mostly stay the course.
Rebecka22

Postby birdy birdy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:23 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.4

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 90%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 95%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 85%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 95%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 100%

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: This was a tough week mentally so I'm relieved that I was able to stay on track with my diet. On Saturday I wholeheartedly began eating lunches and dinners based on Jeff Novick's template. This made life easier. Now, if I only had a pan large enough to triple his recipe!! At least I can double it :) Onward!
birdy birdy

Postby CindyD » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:32 am

Jan 22, 2021 150.4
Jan 29, 2021 149.8
RESULT -0.6

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products NO, some pretzels here and there
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO, could be better

It's going to be slow from here on out, which is fine and expected! Pretty thrilled to have broken into the 140s, even at the tippy top. Hope everyone is ok! I still need to figure out some at-home exercise, but otherwise going pretty good.
CindyD

Mark's Replies for January 29 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:59 pm

PonysPlants - Hang in there, Naomi! In addiction treatment one will frequently hear that "relapse is part of recovery." I think that statement is quite applicable to our efforts here, as well; when we fall back into the Pleasure Trap it seems important to "pay attention" to how that makes us feel, how difficult it may be to work our way back to baseline, and whether all that work was "worth it" for the sake of "treating ourselves." These incidents give us a great deal of information about where we may place our value and the relative advantages or disadvantages of particular choices; ultimately, that can influence our decision making process. E. g., nowadays I "treat" myself by buying the fancy (and pricey) Sumo oranges and Cosmic Crisp apples; both are delicious, but don't put me in the position of crawling back out of a (all too familiar) hole. Onward!

HoustonJason - Another 3 pounds gone! I think it is wonderful that you feel proud of your efforts, pleased with your progress and noticing some visible changes that reinforce all of that. Eliminating the tortilla chips and almond milk seem like the next logical steps to take, when those changes feel attainable. Keep it up!

squealcat - Great progress, Marilyn! Keeping the "tough times" contained in that one afternoon feels like a significant achievement; setbacks can often be the start of a downward spiral into further deviations, and that clearly wasn't the case this time, thanks to your diligent efforts. Cheers for February!

Rebecka22 - Down 2.4 pounds! 9 big YESes at the end of a hard week deserves a big :thumbsup: ! I applaud your decision to skip the cake, ice cream, and other treats, and give yourself the "treat" of moving closer to your important goals. Well done!

birdy birdy - And there is another 2.4 pounds! Looks like you kept your week substantially on track, despite it being a mentally challenging time. I literally use the SNAP template for my lunch every single day, so I could not agree more with you about that tool making life easier! :D Simplicity for the win! Enjoy those double batches. I imagine you might appreciate the "conveyor belt" meal system Jeff describes in this post. Onward!

CindyD - Congratulations on breaking into the 140s! :D I think your intuition that progress is likely to be more gradual as you get closer to your goal is astute. As always, the best way to support continuing progress is ongoing attention to the recommended behaviors. Keep at it!
Mark Cooper

Postby deb102 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:22 pm

1-29-2021 Weigh-In
Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :(
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :(
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :(
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :(
6. Eliminate any added oil. :(
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :)
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :)
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :)

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Exercised 6 days this week. For snacks I ate a small apple. Stuck to food instructions most days, but had a few meals with a small amount of baked tofu or very small amount of meat or cheese. Went back to having dried fruit, and flax seed meal in my oats as well as pure maple syrup which was my go to breakfast before the MWL. Prepped a LOT of vegetables in advance making meal prep easier. I ate a lot of vegetables and had soup or salad before meals a lot of the time but not all the time.
deb102

Postby cmcavazos » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.2# gain

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. --7/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. -- 7/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. -- 5/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). -- 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). -- 6/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. -- 7/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. -- 7/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). -- 7/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. -- 3/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). -- 6/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories : none this week
Comments : My food choices were mainly "on plan" but on three days I feel like I overate quantity-wise.
My January weight stayed the same with the ups and downs. My clothes are fitting more loosely eventhough there was not a weight loss. It is discouraging, but I'm thankful there was not an overall gain for the month. I'm ready for February...I'm hanging on because I know that if I drop from the group/weigh-ins my weight will easily creep back up.
cmcavazos

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:27 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +0.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Did pretty well most of the week. Watched my 50/50 plate ratio and focused on sticking to the checklist...and then went a had several crackers (#6 and #7). My husband had an upset stomach and asked me to buy him some crackers. He got better and later I found the rest of the crackers... :| It was only a temporary blip but I was hoping I had grown beyond this temptation. In looking back at the situation, I realize that it was late at night, I was tired, and I was watching t.v. -- all things that I need to pay attention to. So my goal this week is to try not to snack after dinner. I did read the link you recommended Mark, as to why we hit plateaus and what we can do about them, thank you. This is where I will begin my focus on what I can do about mine. Looking forward to a better week.
GreenFroG

Re: Mark's Replies for January 29 - Part 1

Postby CindyD » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:15 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Keep at it!

Hi Mark! In case nobody told you recently, you are the best! Hope your health is good. Thank you for being here. :D
CindyD

Postby carwex » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Loss this week= 1.5 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. I have soup ready 90% of the time/if not- a salad
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. Reduced yes, eliminated no
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Miso and tofu are still part of some soup during the week
6. Eliminate any added oil. Added a little to some dishes when I entertain
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. Yes eliminated flax
8. Don’t drink your calories. Yes
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes. If I’m hungry between meals, I take an additional small meal like a potato and a veg.
10. Avoid being sedentary. This week I exercised but not enough

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
It was really good week because I lost 1 1/2 pounds and broke through the 60 kilo barrier which is heartening. I also had a whole week of no compulsive eating off plan or even compliant foods, no grazing while preparing meals or in between. It is a real feeling of freedom. If I get hungry, I take a small meal- a potato and veggie. Even though the family was around (and eating) and I entertained one evening, still I managed well with my eating behavior. It seems to be a function of inner calm.

Sorry I missed the deadline last week but grateful to see that my question about a daily Tb spoon of flaxseed was answered satisfactorily. You guys are great-Mark, Goose and Jeff. You take our concerns seriously and the responses are so complete and cogent. I realize now that there are many ways to access essential fats. It does not rely on one ingredient only. In addition, supplementation is called for only when symptoms call for them (through a blood test for example).
I concur with your argument, Mark, that the MWL principles must remain in tact and a little addition here and there will eventually dilute its simple essence. As a result we will eventually find ourselves back on the treadmill of weight gain. So thank God for the MWL.
Thanks to you for taking my concern seriously and providing me with answers and solutions.

Carol
carwex

Postby Noella » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:22 pm

Dear Mark, Wildgoose, and Jeff, and all MWL participants,

+/- 0 pounds No change in my weight this month.

1. Yes, I started each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Yes, I followed the 50/50 plate method for my meals, filling half my plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. Yes, I greatly reduced added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too.
4. Yes, I eliminated all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). I take a B12 supplement.
5. Yes, I eliminate all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. Yes, I eliminated any added oil.
7. Yes, I eliminated all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. Yes, I do not drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. Yes, I followed these principles, eating whenever hungry until comfortably full. I didn’t starve or stuff.
10. sadly, no exercise was possible again this week but I started feeling better yesterday so I plan on resuming exercise tomorrow.

Naturally, I’m a teeny bit disappointed that I haven’t lost any weight this month but at the same time I am thrilled that I didn’t gain any weight, so I’m willing to be patient with this journey toward health. It’s been an amazing transformation. Looking in the mirror it’s plain for me to see that I am getting so close to normal healthy weight. I’m not quite there yet, but it’s now within reach. I need to lose about two or three inches from my midriff/waist area. I SO appreciate all of the support and encouragement I get from this MWL weigh-in group! Thank you Mark, Wild Goose and Jeff for every word you write to each MWL member. I read and re-read every post, sometimes multiple times. I learn so much important information from you and I can’t thank you enough. Please add me to the February group.

Here is an inspiring quote I noted as I watched the documentary Game Changers this week. Louis Hamilton, seven time Formula One world champion for auto racing, recently changed his diet to one that is whole food plant based and his performance is improving steadily!
We all want to feel great, look great, and have more energy. The most important thing is about having the right fuel in your body. I can’t remember feeling this great in my whole 32 years of my life.— Louis Hamilton, quote from documentary Game Changers

My best regards to everyone.
Noella
Noella

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program