Preloading with soup

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Preloading with soup

Postby symbas » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:28 pm

Hello again,
I have been following MWL for 2 weeks, and making recipes from MWL book.
A number of the soup recipes call for starch bean component.
Is it acceptable to eat a cup of these soups ,as the soup prior to my meal, which consists , of course, of non starchy vegies and starch again?
Thanks so much.
symbas

Re: Preloading with soup

Postby wildgoose » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:02 pm

symbas wrote:I have been following MWL for 2 weeks, and making recipes from MWL book.
A number of the soup recipes call for starch bean component.
Is it acceptable to eat a cup of these soups ,as the soup prior to my meal, which consists , of course, of non starchy vegies and starch again?

@symbas Preloading means eating something very low in calorie density, such as salad or a soup based on non-starchy vegetables, as the first part of your meal. A starchier soup is higher in calorie density and doesn’t work as well as a preload. Jeff's article "On Salad, Soup and Success" discusses this in detail.

Your heartier soup would, however, work well as part of your meal, as Jeff points out.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Re: Preloading with soup

Postby symbas » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks for referring me to the appropriate info!
Non-Starchy soup on the stove, ready to go!
It's also good info in that, I was making, eating soup, then prepping non starchy vegies and starch component.for 50/50 plate.
Helpful to know I can eat the soups, chock a block full, and then startchy component.
symbas

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program