February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 am

February 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Struggling to Achieve Results? Here are 9 Reasons Why
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby oneesotericgirl » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:24 pm

Hey Everyone!
I am continuing along this journey into February and am excited to keep pracinging these guidelines. I read thru the orientation materials again.
Also appreciate Mark's suggestion to look at the weekly reporting in terms of yes/no and did/did not instead of %'s. I see the benefit of it so that exceptions don't become permanent exceptions. Thanks so much! 8)
Looking forward to encouraging, motivating, and keeping myself and others accountable.
Good vibes to all! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weight as of Jan 31 : 203.4
Last edited by oneesotericgirl on Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep Moving Forward
oneesotericgirl

Postby landog » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Wishing you all a successful month of February!

-dog
Last edited by landog on Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landog

Postby emmycaitlin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:32 am

I'd like to join for February please!
emmycaitlin

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:41 pm

landog - Welcome! I'm so glad to have you joining us this month! Check out the Orientation for a sense of how the group check-ins work. :)

emmycaitlin - Welcome back! Be sure to review the Orientation Information.
Mark Cooper

Postby Artista » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi Mark, please count me in for February. I had to drop out during January because of extreme busyness but I did try to follow the guidelines as well as possible and not drift. I'm looking forward to rejoining this month. I've been checking out the orientation resources and getting renewed motivation. Thanks again for moderating the group!
Artista

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:22 am

Artista - I'm delighted you are back! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby belcimo » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello everyone!
Please count me in: SW/CW 271 lbs
I've been around, up-n-down, and back-n-forth since 2016. Feeling motivated again.
Belinda, age 45
belcimo

Postby JeffN » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:54 pm

belcimo wrote:Hello everyone!
Please count me in: SW/CW 271 lbs
I've been around, up-n-down, and back-n-forth since 2016. Feeling motivated again.
Belinda, age 45

Welcome back.

The format of the MWL weekly weigh-in group has changed quite a bit. Please take some time to read through the orientation and the resources provided in it. Then, when finished, post back here that you have read the orientation, willing to follow the format and want to join.

Thanks
Jeff
JeffN

Postby belcimo » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:08 pm

OK, I have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group. Thanks!

-Belinda
belcimo

Postby Noella » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:55 pm

Dear Mark, Jeff, Wild Goose and MWL participants,

Starting weight for February is 160 pounds
My Goal weight is 147 pounds.

I am excited to get to follow MWL this month. It’s a privilege to be here. Thank you.

I enjoy eating plant based meals and using the MWL guidelines and Jeff’s placemat to plan meals is the best visual. I studied the MWL orientation information and I understand the principles of MWL, particularly the ideas about calorie density, better than last month. I have been cross country skiing (classic) every day for about an hour and a half each time. Skiing is going well and my knees are hardly hurting now. Losing eighty pounds has helped so much and I am motivated to lower my calorie density , as needed, to lose another 13-25 pounds.

I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s comments and Mark and Jeff’s thoughtful responses this month. Happy February everyone!

Best regards,
Noella

Noella

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:30 am

belcimo - Welcome!

Noella - Happy February! I'm thrilled to hear your knees are feeling better!
Mark Cooper

Postby wildgoose » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:27 am

Noella, I have bad knees as well, and losing weight made a huge difference in the pain. I picked up a heavy box the other day (which weighed about half of what I’ve lost) and thought, how could I have been carrying this weight (and more!) around on my joints constantly for so long? Glad to hear your knees are better and that you’re enjoying cross-country skiing.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Noella » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
Noella - Happy February! I'm thrilled to hear your knees are feeling better!

wildgoose wrote:Noella, I have bad knees as well, and losing weight made a huge difference in the pain. I picked up a heavy box the other day (which weighed about half of what I’ve lost) and thought, how could I have been carrying this weight (and more!) around on my joints constantly for so long? Glad to hear your knees are better and that you’re enjoying cross-country skiing.

Goose

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, Mark and Wild Goose. Yes, my knees are definitely improving. I seem to have less pain and more flexibility with each pound of excess weight that I lose. Going plant based has been a bit of an experiment. I want to see if I can rescue my knees, avoid knee replacement surgery and maintain my mobility. The progress I have made so far has exceeded my expectations. Walking and stair climbing still hurts, albeit much much less than a year ago, and somehow the gliding motion of classic cross country skiing seems to help my knees.

I have recently had a similar experience to Wild Goose as I tried to pick up a large bag of dog food. It is AMAZING to think that just one year ago I was constantly carrying eighty excess pounds on my joints with every step I took. I now know, without a doubt, that each pound I lose will continue to improve things for my knees. It’s exciting and encouraging to experience dramatic gains in my health before I have reached my goal weight. I feel like shouting about the benefits of plant based living from the roof tops! I wish everyone with joint pain could get the relief I have. The arthritis pain in my hands, especially at the base of my thumbs is gone too. So, the anti-inflammatory benefits of eating this way are very encouraging.

I know I won’t go back to baking, cooking and eating the way I used to. With that in mind, I carefully went through my kitchen cupboards this morning. I was looking for packages, jars and bottles of food that I will not use in my cooking going forward. I found about twenty brand new items to give away before they reach their ‘Best-Before’ date and there were a few partially used items that I decided to throw away. I said good bye to a reduced apple balsamic vinegar from Italy because it is so sweet, sweeter than sugar, and no longer fits with my MWL culinary goals. My priorities have changed. My knowledge of nutrition has improved. My methods of meal planning, stocking our pantry, and selecting recipes are continually getting fine-tuned as I make healthier choices and learn more about nutrition from Jeff’s posts.

This MWL weigh-in group is a wonderful place to learn and grow. Thank you so much to our leaders for sharing their knowledge and passion. :nod:
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 am

Down 1.8lbs this week and back on track!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. YES. Morning Pilates and then cardio/strength on an evening is getting to be pretty routine now.

I managed to get back in the game but it wasn’t easy at all! It was my husbands birthday on the 1st (a week after mine) and he’d decided to try WFPB with me for all of January but he was very much looking forward to his birthday pizza at the end of it! I opted out of birthday pizza and cake though and stayed on plan. Luckily, husband felt so bad after having a pizza that he wants to be WFPB permanently which is great. I think he was a bit shocked by how unwell he felt after a month of real food!

Mark, thanks as always for the encouragement and support. I took a leaf out of your book and got some fancy fruits as a treat. Papayas and passion fruits! I hear so much about sumo oranges from WFPB people in the US but I’ve never seen them here. I so want to try them!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program