February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Artista » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:  0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: This was a pretty good week for me. I'm getting better at adjusting the amount I eat to hit the sweet spot between too hungry and too full, and getting more used to remembering to exercise every day. I tried out a new recipe for a wonderfully spiced and flavorful Moroccan soup (all MWL ingredients) that is so good. I'm okay with no change in weight for this week. I know from experience that I lose weight slowly so I'm settled in for the long term, especially because I know that there won't be any big change in my way of eating once I do lose weight. I will most likely continue to eat pretty much as I do now.
Artista

Mark's Replies for February 19 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:05 pm

PonysPlants - Great looking week! You have made so much progress in building healthy habits, Naomi. Generally speaking, the prevailing pattern of behavior necessary to sustain a given outcome (and a particular point of equilibrium) will be the same overall pattern of behavior that achieved those results. That isn't to say that one can't occasionally include some more calorie dense foods; but rather, that habits should remain consistent overall. Personally, I've continued to adhere to the MWL 10-Point Checklist while in "maintenance."

josietheschnauzer - Well done, Elsa! The Pleasure Trap is powerful, right? Like you, I used to regularly include olive oil as a "healthy" option; what a distance we have come from our starting point. :)

belcimo - Difficult weeks are almost inevitable, and yes, sometimes that will look like a hot mess. :nod: Try not to think of this as a failure, but rather a part of the process and something with lessons to offer. Most important is to get back on track as soon as you are able. Having a clear set of "relapse protocols" established can really help, by making a plan ahead of time you reduce the load on yourself during the times you are feeling most depleted and vulnerable. Running out of adherent food is a problem that has a clear solution, right? Hang in there!

birdy birdy - Progress in the right direction! The powerful effect our immediate environment exerts over our decisions and behaviors is, as you observe, amazing. Consequently, anything we can do to make it more difficult to access troublesome foods will often help support our efforts. That can be a challenging path to negotiate with our families and housemates, requiring trial and error, creativity and, ideally, cooperation from those around us.

squealcat - Down 2.6 pounds! Clearly, you had a very consistent week, Marilyn. I think you are so right that having adherent foods that we really enjoy prepared and ready to go is absolutely key for success. :nod: I think your point about giving yourself "permission to feel cranky" is insightful; oftentimes, we are attempting to counter and overrule powerful drives steering us toward calorie rich foods and that isn't easy, so occasionally feeling irritated is reasonable and understandable. Keep watching for those things that work for you, and make them a part of your routine.

HoustonJason - Fantastic! Particularly considering the challenging circumstances! I'm glad to hear things are starting to return to normal. I think you are exactly right that the best way to achieve the outcomes you are seeking is by continuing to focus on consistent adherence to the recommended pattern of behavior. :nod:

Hope410 - YAY! 8 Yeses on the checklist! Running out of adherent food is a good challenge, because under most circumstances it has a clear cut solution. Would it help to set an interim exercise goal that definitely feels quite attainable, even if that means the goal is less than the recommendation? Something like committing to walk for 30 minutes on 3 days, and building that into your schedule. Sometimes getting a "win" that moves us in the direction of our broader goal can be quite motivating.

Rebecka22 - Nice work keeping those indulgences confined to Valentine's Day, rather than spilling out across the week. Definitely worth making a point to remember when our body gives us powerful feedback about our choices. I'm sharing some resources below that should help with your cholesterol questions (particularly The Benefit of non-HDL: Putting a Low HDL in Perspective).
Mark Cooper wrote:Dr. McDougall's discussion of cholesterol under Common Health Problems is here. He also has a Hot Topics page for Cholesterol & Triglycerides: Risk Factors. In the September 2003 newsletter, he discusses HDL and LDL-cholesterol.

Jeff has several very enlightening threads on the topic, as well:

Dietary Guidelines, Cholesterol & You!
The Benefit of non-HDL: Putting a Low HDL in Perspective.
Cholesterol Rising Over Time
How does the American Heart Association justify 200 mg?

Artista - Hooray for TEN Yeses! I think the determination, thoughtful perspective and reasonable attitude you are applying to your efforts is right on target. Enjoy the Moroccan soup and continue your positive patterns!
Mark Cooper

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:52 pm

wildgoose wrote:
Rebecka22 wrote:I had my yearly checkup this week and my blood work shows my good cholesterol is low. The doctor said more exercise, but I already exercise 30-60 minutes a day seven days a week, so wondering if there’s something else you suggest or just don’t worry about it?

@Rebecka22 I have the same issue, very low HDL (good) cholesterol. This article by Dr. McDougall might help reassure you. My doctor never has stopped fussing at me about it, but I’m not concerned.

Goose

Thank you both for all the resources! They makes me feel more reassured that I’m not doing something wrong. I really appreciate all of your expertise and experience!
Rebecka22

Postby texaslil » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:43 pm

Current weight: 173

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. MADE SWEET POTATO BROWNIES FROM THE WHOLE FOOD PLANT BASED COOKING SHOW RECIPE (NO OIL OR SUGAR)
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). MADE MUSHROOM STROGANOFF WHICH HAD SOME CASHEWS IN IT
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. MOSTLY YES, EXCEPT EATING ONE LOAF OF PITA BREAD AND THE SWEET POTATO BROWNIES WHICH HAD DATES FOR THE SWEETENER
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES, WAS MUCH BETTER ABOUT THIS
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).DUE TO A WINTER STORM, I WAS UNABLE TO REALLY GET OUT TOO MUCH 1/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: THIS WEEK WAS SOMEWHAT BETTER THAN LAST WEEK, DESPITE BEING SNOWED IN DURING THE SNOW/ICE STORM THAT HIT US. WE WERE WITHOUT POWER FOR 24 HRS, BUT WE WERE LUCKY THAT IT CAME ON AFTER THAT. WE HAVE FAMILY STAYING WITH US NOW BECAUSE THEIR POWER HAS NOT RESUMED, HENCE MAKING THE BROWNIES FOR DESSERT.. ALTHOUGH I WILL NOT LIE, I ENJOYED THEM AS WELL. IT'S BEEN A CRAZY WEEK, WHICH COULD HAVE LED TO BEING MORE OFF THE RAILS, BUT I MANAGED TO KEEP IT TOGETHER FOR THE MOST PART. I'M SO HAPPY THAT WE ARE STARTING TO THAW OUT AND I CAN GET BACK INTO MY MORNING WALK ROUTINE, I MISS THE MOVEMENT.
texaslil

Postby wstokes » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:54 pm

+1.0 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. no

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. no

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). no

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). no

6. Eliminate any added oil. yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. no

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
I think the worst of it happened this week when we got a big box of Valentines day candy...that added a lot of calories and then there were a few nights where snacking on nuts was a problem. I have started baking potatoes to have in the fridge for a healthier snack...I hope that substitution will help.
wstokes

Postby Noella » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:15 pm

Dear Mark, Wildgoose, and Jeff, and all MWL participants,

Down - 0.1 pound

1. Yes, I started each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Each meal is so satisfying when I start with a big plate of salad or sliced veggies. It’s a lot of chewing, though, which takes time... a lot of time — something I am happy to have.
2. Yes, I followed the 50/50 plate method for my meals, filling half my plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. My starchy portion sizes are generous so I pile on the non starchy steamed veggies to match. It’s a lot of healthy food at each meal. If I want dessert, I have a piece of fruit even though I usually put a double serving of fruit, such as cherries, into my breakfast of steel cut oats.
3. Yes, I have greatly reduced added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. I am trying to use less vinegar as I was using a variety of types on almost everything and spoiling the natural flavours in food. I am also trying to further reduce salt, not all the way to zero but trying to use the tiniest amount possible. I now want to taste the actual food more than I want to taste salt: that’s how much my need for salt keeps going down with each month.
4. Yes, I eliminated all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). I have no interest in these foods and I don’t miss them...instead I am starting to really love eating green leafy vegetables like kale and chard and we belong to an organic farm group that delivers fresh greens, veggies and fruits each week.
5. Yes, I eliminated all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. Yes, I mostly eliminated added oil. except one recipe called lemony cauliflower included 1/2 tbsp of tahini in the recipe
7. Yes, I eliminated all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. Yes, I do not drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. Yes, I followed these principles, eating whenever hungry until comfortably full. I didn’t starve or stuff. often times, I find that just two or thre meals a day is enough for me. I do not need to snack. The meals really are satiating. I’m continuing to expand my knowledge about calorie density and I try my best to apply the principles of calorie density to our meals so that I am always able to eat heartily of a large volume of lower density foods.
10. Yes, I am getting at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. I went cross country skiing four times this week. On the other days I shoveled snow to clear our driveway.

Knee pain was my main reason for wanting to losing weight. My knees are so much better and getting happier each month. It’s an amazing improvement.

I SO appreciate all of the information and encouragement from Mark, Wild Goose, Jeff and EVERYONE. I appreciate and enjoy reading about and learning from each person’s experiences and inspirational ideas. Thank you for your contribution to this group.

Today I realized that MWL is more of a lifestyle than a diet. It’s a dramatically different way of shopping, cooking and meal planning. There are so many positives and this new way of living is so much better.

My best regards to everyone.

Noella
Noella

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi all,

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.00

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Pretty good week overall. Just finished a week-long course, so missed two days of exercise, but should be back on track next week. Also had a thumbs down on #7, as I had a falafel salad. The falafels were baked, but was not sure what was in them, as it was at a restaurant. I skipped the dressing and used lemon wedges instead. My goal for next week is to get back to all thumbs-up!
GreenFroG

Postby carwex » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:58 am

Hello to all,

Weight: lost -1.5 pounds
Goal weight:130
Present weight: 129

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. Reduced yes, eliminated no
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Had a few shrimps off someone else’s plate and a dumpling with meat at a resto.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. I use miso as seasoning in some dishesY
6. Eliminate any added oil. ate a rather oily meal in a Chinese restaurant this week
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. yes
8. Don’t drink your calories. Drink only water and tea with a little almond milk
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary. yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
It was a very good week with more weight loss -broke the 130 mark-although I don’t think I need it. I’m just going along with being as close to adherence as possible. What helps is good exercise almost every day-about an hour of swimming or walking or fitness or chair yoga. I’m not out to break any records (or bones) so I do enough that it feels good and I believe it keeps me healthy. I have no joint pains, no underlying conditions or medications. Not bad for someone pushing 80.
On the minus side, I don’t like what I see re: taking bites of animal foods. I prefer to keep to the principles of good for the environment and the animals as well as my health.

Hard to believe I joined in April 2020, left for 3 months in November 2020 and returned in January 2021. Knowing you are always here is comforting.

Carol
carwex

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:23 am

Weight Change: - 1 lbs
Points from the MWL Checklist where I succeeded this week
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 20/21
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 21/21
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 7/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 6/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 7/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7

Points from the MWL Checklist that need greater attention
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 4/7
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 4/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. 1/7

General impressions & observations / resources to share / sources of excitement / requests for input & support
I noticed that I'm beginning to appreciate the taste of my food without added salt or sugar. I feel more determined to stay on plan than I have in a long time. I have started exercising everyday. A new goal is to lose 2 lbs a week. I was disappointed I didn't reach that goal this week... I changed my night time snack to either a second smaller version of dinner or oatmeal and fruit or just fruit. My goal is to not eat after 9:00. I am still struggling with eating during the night when I wake up. I decided to track the behavior with #9 Don't stuff yourself. I consider eating during the night as overeating.

Thank you, Mark, for your encouragement. This weekly accountability is motivating for me. :D
Last edited by moonlight on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby chef16 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:15 am

02/13/2021 231#
02/20/2021 230#
lose of -1#

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.65%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.85%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.100%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100#
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).95%
6. Eliminate any added oil.100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.95%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 90%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).65%

Not as much as I had hoped for, but 1 pound is something . Still having a little slip here and there. Should be able to get back to it, full force next week. A avocado here ,a slice of bread there ,some peanut butter on this or that ! Still needs work. I still don't eat enough green veggies. I can't tell you why. I eat a lot more of them in the summer. More fresh choices and better tasting . ????
Doreen
chef16

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:09 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +5.8
2/12/2021 125.4
2/19/2021 131.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.No. Salt!

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes

6. Eliminate any added oil. No- some olive oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No -bread and home baked goods.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).No- blended soup even from compliant foods.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.No.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).No

Victories, comments, concerns,questions:
This week I gained 5.8 pounds. One word to describe the feeling. Mortified. Especially when I’ve been doing so well. I thought about not reporting in, “under-reporting “, but I know better. I made a huge pot of Mary’s recipe for kale, potato and leek soup. I’ve discovered that blended potato even in soup for me is akin to drinking calories. I don’t quite get the same level of satisfaction as when I have broth based veggie dense soups and tend to continue eating. I exercised much less this week than usual, ate bread under the guise of healthy whole wheat pita, and ate more of a variety of starches and beans seasoned with sodium based condiments. This coming week I am going to make a point to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes each day. I’m going to make my meals more boring and ignore the smorgasbord of MWL foods I’ve over shopped for and over prepared and will eliminate added salt, aminos, or soy sauce. This weight gain is temporary as long as I stop right now. Thanks for listening. May everyone have a good week. For those of us struggling, I hear you and understand. For those of us who did well, please continue to share your strength and inspiration. I’m looking forward to better results next week.
Gimmelean

Postby CindyD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:53 am

Feb 13, 2021, 148.2
Feb 20, 2021, 148.9
RESULT +0.7

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, YES
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. NO
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).YES
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).YES
6) Eliminate any added oil.YES
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.YES
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).YES
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. YES
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).Could be better

Comments: Probably too much salt but I've already started cutting back. No processed foods, and no cooking with salt, it's just too much on my potatoes I think. Also, not too concerned about the gain. I forgot to weigh before a bowl of steel-cut oats and blueberries this morning! Sending warm cheer to all and looking forward to Spring!
CindyD

Postby JaBee » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:53 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.0, I’ll take it!!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 5/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 7/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 7/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 7/7
6. Eliminate any added oil.7/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 6/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar- sweetened beverages). 6/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
5/7.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 7/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Good week overall, it helps to food prep on weekends. Will go back to simple meals as work best for me.
JaBee

Postby Ejg » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Starting weight: 204
Last week: 201.6
This week: 201.8
week over week change: +0.2

When I stepped on the scale this morning I was initially pleased because I thought this represented a loss compared to last week.....was not aware that technically it was a 0.2 lb gain. I did really well eating salad and steamed vegetables but one thing I can work in is cutting back on grains. I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day and ate lots of brown rice this week. I probably had rice at lunch and dinner for nearly every meal, in addition to salad/vegetables, and beans. I know that if I continue to find ways to dilute my calories, weight loss will happen (eventually). I'm not stopping.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, I started every meal besides breakfast with salad.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Filled my plate with steamed broccoli or cauliflower for nearly every meal, but perhaps still eating too much starch (oatmeal and brown rice) for weight loss to happen.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No added sugar or salt.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yup
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yup
6. Eliminate any added oil. No added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Didn't eat any of this stuff.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yup
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. I found myself feeling pretty full in the evenings so maybe this one is worth paying attention to this week.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Didn't work out as much as usual this week.
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Reporting for February 19 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program