February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weigh-In Report Compilation - February 5, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for February 5 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for Feburary 5 - Part 2

By my count, 27 participants reported for our first February 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the first Friday in February:

Week ending 2/5/2021: 27 participants reported a total loss of -1.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Squealcat +3.20
Chef16 +2.00
Wstokes +2.00
Jan_npr +1.30
Hope410 +1.20
Jkcook +1.00
Ejg +0.80
Gimmelean +0.40
birdy birdy +0.20
Growing a Pear +0.20
Texaslil +0.20
Wfpb2020 +0.20
Total gains: +12.70
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Artista 0.00
Carwex 0.00
Cmcavazos 0.00
JaBee 0.00
Josietheschnauzer 0.00
Moonlight 0.00
Rebecka22 0.00
Noella -0.50
CindyD -0.80
Cliv -1.00
Drew* -1.20
GreenFroG -1.20
PonysPlants -1.80
Belcimo -2.80
HoustonJason -5.00
Total losses: -14.30
Cumulative group loss for February 2021 to date: 1.60 pounds
Average loss for week ending February 5: 0.06 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, February 12, 2021.

I salute and applaud our MWL group participants! The effort in the face of obstacles and challenges on display this week is a testament to your ongoing determination to behave in a manner that supports health and wellbeing!

A recent discussion in the Lounge (thanks for sharing it, Growing a Pear) seems relevant to our group discussions about how to mark celebratory occasions in a fashion congruent to our goals, and how, when we indulge in calorie rich, processed "treats," we might actually be treating ourselves very poorly. I found the entire discussion enlightening, and Jeff's contribution very much struck a chord with me.
JeffN wrote:
Unlike other addictions, we can't give up food, and that's been a frustration and complaint I've heard over and over from those who struggle with food and weight.

There is another way to look at this.

Alcohol is a liquid. Originates from food, even healthy foods.

When an alcoholic decides to get sober, no one ever says, oh it is so hard because we have to consume liquids and we can’t give up liquids.

We would think that to be silly. Yes, the body needs water, which is a liquid but there is a big difference between water and alcohol. We have no requirement for the liquid alcohol and no one would ever thing the requirement for water (liquid) makes giving up alcohol (liquid) hard.

Yes, we need food. But we do not need the CRAP or the PREMIUM CRAP. The ultra-processed, highly refined, hyper-palatable junk foods that are high in fat, salt, sugar, refined flours. It is CRAP. Now being sold to you as the latest greatest Vegan, whole food, plant-based PREMIUM CRAP.

We need foods like corn, but not ranch style fried, salted cheese corn puffs.

Yes, we need rice, corn, oats, beans, fruits and vegetables simply prepared with little to no processing. Saying it is hard to give up donuts (CRAP) because we have to eat simple foods (brown rice), is silly.

Buy simple foods and spend some time preparing them simply at home. Use your hands and simple tools. We already have the all the foods we need available in our neighborhoods. Stay away from the gingerbread houses (health food stores, supermarkets, etc) with their false promises of WFPB PREMIUM CRAP that will just enslave you.

One other thing to think about.

A recovering alcoholic would never say, this Saturday I am celebrating 1 year sober and I am celebrating with a few vodka martinis. Of course, made with “light” vodka and I will be have some Hangover Cure in the morning. Nope. Never. They never celebrated their sobriety with the very substance that got them in trouble. They never think they earned it or deserve it.

But, in the food world, we do. I often hear people say, this Saturday I am celebrating 1 year eating healthy and having reversed my heart disease and I am celebrating with a chocolate cherry cake and almond cookies. Of course, all organic, vegan and made with date sugar, coconut water and Celtic sea salt and gluten free flour, and I will then fast the next day (or two) to get back on my feet. So many celebrate their health with the very indulgences that got them in trouble in the first place. Like they earned it or deserve it.

Think about it. :)
And one of the replies to Jeff included this expressive observation.
Susan5 wrote:At one point, I reached a max of 220 pounds, and began having panic attacks over my weight and deteriorating health. I couldn't understand how trying to eat "healthy" got me to that point. I remember telling my husband so many times, in utter desperation, "It shouldn't be this HARD to eat healthy and lose weight!". Looking back, I now see, and understand, why it was such a struggle...you can't let go while still trying to hold on.
Some provocative thoughts to consider, as you plan and prepare to make your week a success! Take care and be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: February 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby wildgoose » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:41 pm

GreenFroG wrote:I do have a question about cornstarch to thicken soups -- the McDougall recipe for Vegetable Sweet Potato Chowder called for it, but I was not sure it was MWL compliant. I left it out, but was wondering if it was okay to add or what you use as a substitute. The soup was not very thick without it, but still tasted good.

@GreenFroG, for that recipe, I might use sweet potato or Hannah yam. I always roast a whole tray full of various kinds of potatoes, so I have them in the fridge ready to use in meals or as ingredients in other dishes. Mash up some reheated sweet potato, or a combination of sweet potato and very well cooked cauliflower, and add it to the hot soup.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Re: Mark's Replies for February 5 - Part 2

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Moonlight - I'm so excited you are back! :D It sounds like you have made a great start returning to the fundamental principles. The more fully you can clear your environment of the calorie rich foods you find most tempting, the easier it will be not to eat them. :) What is your favorite form of exercise?

Hi Mark,
Thank you for the welcome back! It feels really good! The discussion about treating oneself was very timely. It helped me stay on track today through some challenging times. I have a very strong attitude about only eating from the MWL plan - no exceptions. I don't want to get off track again. This past week it has been very helpful to have prepped food for the week. I have had easy to prepare meals, soup, and salad.

My favorite form of exercise is hiking. When I can't hike I have been working on a walking labyrinth/garden. As a last resort I have an indoor water rower. I am going to do my best to get in at least 30 minutes a day. I did today!

Thank you for all you do for this group. :D Thank you to Jeff and wildgoose, too. I appreciate the effort you all put into helping others with their weight loss goals.
moonlight

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:42 am

Thank you, Mark, Jeff Novick Wild Goose, Growing a pear, and everyone else. I have never been to the "lounge" but GREATLY appreciate the comments on alcohol versus "treat food". I have copied and am saving to read again. Isn't it true? Let me treat myself when I have lost all the weight and am healthy! A light martini........

Thank you, Mark, for your comments. I believe I am overeating because I am hungry in between meals. Yes, maybe I really am hungry! But, now what I am eating first is a carrot or two. Yesterday when I added food, I did 50/50: Baked potato and riced cauliflower. I was then full but it was an extra "meal"?

Yes, you are right, Mark! Success is following the guidelines, then losing weight. And, if I am following the guidelines then I will not go off the deep end (I hope) if the scale fluctuates up. :D

......not McDougall....but yesterday I read that it was good for you to be cold.....I AM COLD! Ha!

Will report on my chubby fries and hummus-artichoke-spinach dip next week! This will be the first time I have watched the super bowl in several years! I am really looking forward to it. Covid has brought me to this :-D :-D
josietheschnauzer

Postby PonysPlants » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:18 am

Hello lovely moderators,

Can I just check a couple of finesse points? I’ve seen a recipe that uses a blended base of spinach and courgette as a base for cooking oats in. This would be MWL compliant wouldn’t it? It’s not really like having a smoothie, would be more in the soup/risotto category wouldn’t it? Also, I know a maximum of 2 fruits is recommended but does this include passion fruit? They’re so tiny.... ha!

Thanks

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 am

Moonlight - Your walking labyrinth/garden sounds like a really cool project!

josietheschnauzer - Jeff discussed some reasons why a 50/50 serving makes a great snack in this discussion thread, so it makes sense that the potato and cauliflower left you more satisfied.
JeffN wrote:
slugmom wrote:So ... if optimizing weight loss is my goal ... and I'm legitimately hungry, or really munchy and want a snack ... which would be better? Popcorn? Fruit?

IMH(P&P)O, and based on calorie density, of the two, I would say fruit. However, vegetables would be a better choice and/or a meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables (and/or fruit) by volume. A meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables by volume would have a very low calorie density. So, a bowl of 50% oatmeal and 50% berries by volume or a bowl of 50% rice and 50% veggies by volume may be the better choice. You get the starch to help satisfy you and the fruit and/or veggies to help lower the calorie density.

slugmom wrote:I'm not quite ready to be happy "snacking" on baby carrots and raw veggies. I know some people do that, happily. I'm working towards that.

Why? :)

Remember, no one is recommending that and veggies alone may leave you hungry and not satisfied. Remember, this is not a vegetables based diet but a starch based diet. Diluting the starches with vegetables and/or fruit to lower the calorie density is the best solution.

PonysPlants - As you describe it, that recipe seems like it would be acceptable within the MWL guidelines; in general, blended soups and vegetable purees are acceptable (provided they don't include any ingredients that are recommended to be eliminated). Compared to most fruits, Passion Fruit is somewhat more calorie dense; apples are ~236 calories/lb, bananas are ~404 calories/lb, passion fruits are ~440 calories/lb, so perhaps worth attending to Dr. McDougall's caveat in this case. To get a sense of the volume of fruit in a serving, think about a single serving being roughly the size of your fist.
Mark Cooper

Postby Artista » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:09 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Artista - You are off to a great start, Nancy! I think the approach you are taking by keeping your attention focused on adhering to the recommended behaviors is very wise, and conducive to success. TIME + ADHERENCE = RESULTS. :D What sort of cereal have you been enjoying in the morning? Would it help to move the flaxseed somewhere it will be more difficult to reach?

Mark, thanks for your encouragement and for the question about cereal. I've been eating some mix of cooked intact whole grains like teff, millet, amaranth, or oat groats. Good suggestion about moving the flaxseeds. I put them in the freezer.
Artista

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am

Artista wrote:I've been eating some mix of cooked intact whole grains like teff, millet, amaranth, or oat groats.
Sounds great!
Mark Cooper

Postby PonysPlants » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks so much Mark, really appreciate it. Even of tea passion fruit news wasn’t exactly what I wanted to hear. :wink:
PonysPlants

Postby josietheschnauzer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 pm

:D But of course, Jeff's chubby chips were delicious for "my" super bowl party. I didn't get them crispy but they were brown and great. My modified hummus-artichoke-spinach dip was also delicious: one can garbanzos drained, 6 cups raw spinach, one frozen package of artichokes (frozen is the one to use because canned have too much sodium. drain canned ones if you are forced to use them). At least 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, juice of one half lemon, other seasoning that you like, and start with about 1/4 cup of water. Process in food processor or blender until consistency is of your liking. Add water, one tablespoon at a time if need be to get to right consistency. Loved it!!
josietheschnauzer

Postby wildgoose » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 pm

josietheschnauzer wrote::D But of course, Jeff's chubby chips were delicious for "my" super bowl party. I didn't get them crispy but they were brown and great. My modified hummus-artichoke-spinach dip was also delicious: one can garbanzos drained, 6 cups raw spinach, one frozen package of artichokes (frozen is the one to use because canned have too much sodium. drain canned ones if you are forced to use them). At least 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, juice of one half lemon, other seasoning that you like, and start with about 1/4 cup of water. Process in food processor or blender until consistency is of your liking. Add water, one tablespoon at a time if need be to get to right consistency. Loved it!!

@josietheschnauzer Great recipe! I usually do a spinach-artichoke dip that I modified from Chef AJ, with spinach, artichokes, roasted garlic and steamed cauliflower. It’s very good, but I like your hummus idea. Jeff's chubby chips aren’t supposed to be crispy. They’re brown on the outside, still soft on the inside. You did them just right. I bet they were wonderful with your dip on them.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby josietheschnauzer » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 pm

Thank you, Wild Goose! Yes, the potatoes were wonderful and wonderful with the dip!
josietheschnauzer

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:20 am

Down 1lb this week. Pleased with that. I think I’ve just got about 10lbs left to get to my goal BMI of 21 so losing a pound a week will suit me just fine at this point.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO Had one slice of bread.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NO Missed 2 days because I hurt my shoulder but Pilates and cardio/strength most days.

Pretty uneventful week this week, no great slips or challenges. Just keeping my eyes on the prize now! Although in a funny way it feels less like a goal and more just like an inevitable side effect of eating this way, and I’ll be sticking with eating this way. There’s such freedom in changing habits rather than sticking to a “diet plan”. There’s no desperation to get to the end goal to have a burger! I’ve been thinking a lot about how our bodies are a culmination of all of our previous habits. And that definitely keeps me pretty excited about my future health from eating like this.

Thanks to all the moderators and especially Mark. Your considered words help me and encourage me every week.

(Husband is down 15lbs since January 1st. I think he’s sold!)

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby belcimo » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:15 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:  -3.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. mostly
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). mostly
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). mostly
6. Eliminate any added oil. mostly
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. mostly
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). oof not too good on this one

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Should snacks also start with soup/salad/fruit?
My food journal: https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=61616&p=624441#p624620
belcimo

Postby HoustonJason » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:25 am

From Houston Jason
Original Weight = 252 on January 1. 2021 Jan. 8 = 244 Jan. 15 = 237 Jan. 22 = 234 Jan. 29 = 231 February 5 = 226
Feb. 12 = 225 - 1 pound

Total = -27 pounds

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1 pound

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit No, I’m only about 75% on this.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
No – but I’m done with baked tortilla chips for awhile

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
I cut down on the unsweetened almond milk but still have a little in my coffee and oatmeal.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). No, I can be better at this. I would say I’m at 15 - 20 minutes of cardio on the rebounder (trampoline). I am an elementary music teacher so I dance a lot at work, but it’s hard to quantify it. I'm going to concentrate on getting more rebounder this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I learned a college friend had passed away last Friday - out of the blue at age 51 - which has weighed heavy on me this week. It was a stressful week at work as well. I fully expected to have no weight loss so I’ll be grateful for the one pound I shaved off. I’m in this for the “long haul”. I am really missing my “comfort foods” but I know I’m doing the right thing for the right reasons. Thanks again for the outlet to check in!
HoustonJason

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program