My Whole February

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Feb 23

Postby landog » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am

Breakfast:
Steel cut oats with Blueberries

( I was out of spinach! )

Snack: Sumo

Lunch:
Brocolli
Mashed potatoes

Dinner:
broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
brown rice and beans

Evening snack
brown rice and beans

Scale: 147.6 lbs.
landog

Feb. 24

Postby landog » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Breakfast:
steamed spinach

Snack: Sumo

Lunch:
mixed vegetables
mashed potatoes (reheated in a pan)
lettuce
raw carrots, celery and radishes

Dinner:
brussel sprouts
2 baked potatoes

Scale: 147.7 lbs.

About the scale - I weigh myself first thing in the morning daily. The scale connects to an app on my phone.
I find when I weigh myself then - the readings are very consistent.
I think that the scale reflects what I ate and the level of activity I had the previous day.
Yesterday, I had rice as my starch. I can eat a lot of rice and I don't think that I ever lose weight on rice. (I'm up .1 lbs from yesterday)
While I can eat a good portion of potatoes, I think when I lose any weight, I've lost after eating potatoes the previous day.

Turn in tomorrow :)
landog

Re: Feb. 24

Postby Susan5 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 am

landog wrote:I think that the scale reflects what I ate and the level of activity I had the previous day.
Yesterday, I had rice as my starch. I can eat a lot of rice and I don't think that I ever lose weight on rice. (I'm up .1 lbs from yesterday)
While I can eat a good portion of potatoes, I think when I lose any weight, I've lost after eating potatoes the previous day.

This is why I posted that question about doing better on different starches. Although I think I have partially figured out the answer to my original issue in that post (form that the starch is in), there still seems to be something to the consideration that each person's body may do better with one starch over another. The body may "burn" through the calories of one food better than another. If you have any more insights on this with yourself, please continue to share.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Feb. 25

Postby landog » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Breakfast:
steamed spinach

Lunch:
Raw carrots, celery and radishes
Beets
Brown rice and beans

Snack:
4 small boiled red potatoes

Dinner:
Steamed broccoli
Circle fries

Evening: 1 Fuji apple

Scale this morning was: 147.6 lbs.
landog

Feb. 26

Postby landog » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:49 am

Breakfast:
steamed spinach

Lunch:
Lettuce, carrots, celery and radishes
Brussel sprouts
Brown rice and beans

Afternoon: a Fuji apple

Dinner:
Steamed broccoli
Corn
Mashed potatoes

Scale: 147.7 lbs.
landog

Feb. 27

Postby landog » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Breakfast:
steamed spinach

Lunch:
Lettuce, carrots, celery and radishes
brown rice and beans
potato soup

Snack: Fuji Apple

Dinner:
broccoli, carrots and cauliflower
2 baked potatoes

Scale: 147.3 lbs.
landog

Re: My Whole February

Postby Daydream » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 am

Landog, I like seeing the simple food you eat each day. Good job on losing 5 pounds! When you had lettuce, carrots, celery and radishes for lunch, do you put any dressing on it or eat that plain?
Daydream

Postby landog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:12 am

Daydream wrote:Landog, I like seeing the simple food you eat each day. Good job on losing 5 pounds! When you had lettuce, carrots, celery and radishes for lunch, do you put any dressing on it or eat that plain?

Hi Daydream - thanks!
All my life, I never cared for dressing and always ate my salads plain.
landog

Feb. 28

Postby landog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Breakfast:
steamed spinach

Lunch:
steamed broccoli
mashed potatoes

Snack: a Sumo!

Dinner:
steamed broccoli
circle fries

Yesterday I had my second pfizer shot. Much of the day yesterday and today I rested. Well, I felt like crap - achy, sore arm, little sleep last night. Felt like I had a fever, with the chills, but I didn't actually have an increased temperature. So, I did not exercise this weekend.

Scale this morning was 147.5 lbs.

I'll weigh in tomorrow to close this month out...
landog

March 1

Postby landog » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:19 am

Much to my surprise, the scale today read 147.0 lbs. Down 5.2 lbs. in my "whole" February.

I've been working from home since March 2020. It's pretty easy to grab something from the kitchen, and toast is quick and easy. So, I had to break out of that habit and get back to basics. Now that I have, I plan to stay the course.

I see posts about people struggling with the program. Indulging, veering off course. I used to be the same way. I was a sucker for the candy bowl at work. When I had to drive long distances transporting my son to college, I sometimes would resort to fast food french fries. It nearly killed me - 10 years of "mostly" McDougalling led to heart disease, angina, a heart attack and a quadruple bypass in 2018. I've been 100% for 3 years now. It's much, much easier to go 100% than to have that occasional piece of cake or peanut butter cup. The pleasure trap is real, but there is a way out of that trap. Don't make it hard on yourself!

Need some motivation? For me, committing to an 'unprocessed' month and logging all of my food is a motivation. Tracking daily progress on the scale helped me, too. After a month like I've had, I'm motivated to keep it up long term.
landog

Postby Susan5 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:40 am

Wonderful, landog! I've enjoyed following your February. Are you going to do the same thing for March?
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Re: March 1

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:33 am

landog wrote:Much to my surprise, the scale today read 147.0 lbs. Down 5.2 lbs. in my "whole" February.

I've been working from home since March 2020. It's pretty easy to grab something from the kitchen, and toast is quick and easy. So, I had to break out of that habit and get back to basics. Now that I have, I plan to stay the course.

I see posts about people struggling with the program. Indulging, veering off course. I used to be the same way. I was a sucker for the candy bowl at work. When I had to drive long distances transporting my son to college, I sometimes would resort to fast food french fries. It nearly killed me - 10 years of "mostly" McDougalling led to heart disease, angina, a heart attack and a quadruple bypass in 2018. I've been 100% for 3 years now. It's much, much easier to go 100% than to have that occasional piece of cake or peanut butter cup. The pleasure trap is real, but there is a way out of that trap. Don't make it hard on yourself!

Need some motivation? For me, committing to an 'unprocessed' month and logging all of my food is a motivation. Tracking daily progress on the scale helped me, too. After a month like I've had, I'm motivated to keep it up long term.

Just so you know, your post at the beginning "in memory of SactoBob" and remembering that "Zero Processed" challenge from what, 2009? ... THAT is what motivated ME. You should realize the impact your posts have :nod: I'm super psyched that you lost 5 lbs in Feb and way excited to see what happens in March, for you and me, and everyone :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby landog » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Susan5 wrote:Wonderful, landog! I've enjoyed following your February. Are you going to do the same thing for March?

Thanks, Susan! Well, I'm not going to post everything that I eat. March should be interesting. I'm driving to Florida to meet a new grandson. I have a refrigerator/cooler and lunch box with a warming element, so I'll be able heat up my meals while I drive. I will be airbnb-ing it for 3 weeks, and I should be able to eat pretty much like I have been in February! Have potatoes, will travel...

bunsofaluminum wrote:Just so you know, your post at the beginning "in memory of SactoBob" and remembering that "Zero Processed" challenge from what, 2009? ... THAT is what motivated ME. You should realize the impact your posts have :nod: I'm super psyched that you lost 5 lbs in Feb and way excited to see what happens in March, for you and me, and everyone :)

Wow - no pressure! :D But I, too, am interested in what March brings. February was a success and I want to build on it. Good luck to you in the March MWL group! Thanks for stopping by!
landog

Postby taymariekay » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:54 pm

Awesome to see your progress! Your food diaries are inspiring to read :)

landog wrote: I have a refrigerator/cooler and lunch box with a warming element, so I'll be able heat up my meals while I drive.

Can you tell me what these items are? I'm looking to invest in some good travel components for when I'm looking to stay on track while out and about, traveling, whenever!
taymariekay

Postby landog » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:07 pm

taymariekay wrote:Awesome to see your progress! Your food diaries are inspiring to read :)

landog wrote: I have a refrigerator/cooler and lunch box with a warming element, so I'll be able heat up my meals while I drive.

Can you tell me what these items are? I'm looking to invest in some good travel components for when I'm looking to stay on track while out and about, traveling, whenever!

I bought this refrigerated cooler that plugs into a 12v outlet in my van.

I also picked up a lunch box with a heater element for warming food. (ignore the description - no, it's not a microwave)

The cooler worked really well. I had prepared a couple of days worth of oatmeal. I cut up boiled potatoes and added peppers and onions and packed them in foil sized for the lunch box (six portions, or so). It would take an hour and a half (or two hours) to heat up the potatoes, I just had to plan ahead. The cooler also had my water, salads, raw veggies, apples, oranges and blueberries for my oatmeal. I was all set with everything I needed for a couple of days of driving (each way).

I was happy with the products and I'm glad I now have them on hand for trips.
landog

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program