March 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:19 am

March 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Struggling to Achieve Results? Here are 9 Reasons Why
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:20 am

March is here already! Let's make the most of it! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: March 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Noella » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff, and all MWL members,

It’s a brand new month and I feel optimistic about venturing into it! It’s a bit like travelling into a new land, isn’t it? The possibilities are endless.

For me, I have just entered ‘normal’ BMI territory for the first time in years. I checked the BMI charts this morning and I found that 159 pounds is at the upper end of NORMAL for my height, which is 5’8.5”; this means I have officially arrived at my first, and most important destination, on my weight loss journey: NORMAL It’s interesting to notice that I don’t yet feel entirely proud of myself; I’m often overly analytical/critical and especially if myself. This trait leads me to feel embarrassed/ashamed of myself for not taking better care of my lifestyle habits over the past six years and letting myself get into such bad shape. So, here I am starting this new month with a range of opposing feelings expressed at the same time: pride/shame; joy,fear; relief/disbelief; success/failure. On one hand, I have finally joined those who live in the land of ‘normal weight.’ I’m no longer overweight according to the charts. It’s been a fourteen month journey from ‘obese’ to ‘ overweight’ to ‘normal’ and I have now landed, much like an immigrant lands in a new country. On the other hand, as I disembark, and plan on staying here, I feel like I am a foreigner and I’m not yet fluent with the ‘language’ yet. It’s not my mother tongue. I need your support, Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and all MWL members, perhaps now more than ever. I need more study, more dedication to continuing this healthy way of living.

My goal for March is to continue lose a couple more pounds and I hope to achieve this by increasing my green veggies such as kale and chard and continuing with my favourite Nordic skiing as long as the trails are open.

My waistline is twelve inches smaller, my waist-hip ratio is .8, my clothing size has gone from size 20 to size 8 and my weight has dropped from 240 lbs. down to 159 lbs. (I am 5’ 8.5” tall).

Fourteen months ago, I was having so much trouble with my knees due to knee pain. I couldn’t do much because each step I took hurt so much. I am back to cross country skiing, which might surprise you, but the gliding motion for an hour is much easier on my knees than walking around the block for ha,f an hour. I hope to lose more weight (maybe 12-20 more?) because I know each pound will help my knees to fully recover and also help me to avoid knee replacement surgery.

I am so thankful for this support group and look forward to continuing to learn the MWL habits that are needed to stay in the land of ‘normal’ forevermore.

Best regards to everyone for a healthy, happy month of March!
Noella

Started McDougall Starch Based Diet December 29, 2019 - 240 pounds
Started Maximum Weight Loss Diet and this Support Group April 1, 2020 - 198 pounds
Today March 1, 2021 - 159 pounds
Last edited by Noella on Sat May 01, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:55 pm

I'm in for March! I've read through the orientation stuff, and hopefully I'm good to go. Let me know if there's something else to do in order to join. This is a bit different from the MWL 10 years ago ;)

I will post my weight changes on Fridays, and use the template the same day to keep myself accountable. I do weigh every day (and have done for a few years). My main reason for weighing once a day is the very reason Dr. M gives for weighing once a week: when you have daily fluctuations, and your weight fluctuates up on weigh in day...? then you're just discouraged, you know? And that's how it is for me. So I weigh daily in order to have a sane picture of what my weight actually does. But I'll post "officially" on Fridays.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Noella - Congratulations on your "new normal" and the many remarkable results you have attained! I can certainly understand the impulse toward self-recrimination for not making lifestyle changes sooner, it is difficult to keep one's mind from fantasizing about "what might have been." Conversely, try imagining what the situation would be like if you had never made those important changes at all; many, MANY people never do. You can take pride in being someone with the determination, commitment and efficacy to change your life for the better. Fluency in this new "language" just requires continued practice - you are well on your way! :D

bunsofaluminum - Awesome! I'm thrilled you will be joining us this month; you are all set. :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby moonlight » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:06 pm

Noella wrote:Hi Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff, and all MWL members,

It’s a brand new month and I feel optimistic about venturing into it! It’s a bit like travelling into a new land, isn’t it? The possibilities are endless.

For me, I have just entered ‘normal’ BMI territory for the first time in years. I checked the BMI charts this morning and I found that 159 pounds is at the upper end of NORMAL for my height, which is 5’8.5”; this means I have officially arrived at my first, and most important destination, on my weight loss journey: NORMAL It’s interesting to notice that I don’t yet feel entirely proud of myself; I’m often overly analytical/critical and especially if myself. This trait leads me to feel embarrassed/ashamed of myself for not taking better care of my lifestyle habits over the past six years and letting myself get into such bad shape. So, here I am starting this new month with a range of opposing feelings expressed at the same time: pride/shame; joy,fear; relief/disbelief; success/failure. On one hand, I have finally joined those who live in the land of ‘normal weight.’ I’m no longer overweight according to the charts. It’s been a fourteen month journey from ‘obese’ to ‘ overweight’ to ‘normal’ and I have now landed, much like an immigrant lands in a new country. On the other hand, as I disembark, and plan on staying here, I feel like I am a foreigner and I’m not yet fluent with the ‘language’ yet. It’s not my mother tongue. I need your support, Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and all MWL members, perhaps now more than ever. I need more study, more dedication to continuing this healthy way of living.

My goal for March is to continue lose a couple more pounds and I hope to achieve this by increasing my green veggies such as kale and chard and continuing with my favourite Nordic skiing as long as the trails are open.

My waistline is twelve inches smaller, my waist-hip ratio is .8, my clothing size has gone from size 20 to size 8 and my weight has dropped from 240 lbs. down to 159 lbs. (I am 5’ 8.5” tall).

Fourteen months ago, I was having so much trouble with my knees due to knee pain. I couldn’t do much because each step I took hurt so much. I am back to cross country skiing, which might surprise you, but the gliding motion for an hour is much easier on my knees than walking around the block for ha,f an hour. I hope to lose more weight (maybe 12-20 more?) because I know each pound will help my knees to fully recover and also help me to avoid knee replacement surgery.

I am so thankful for this support group and look forward to continuing to learn the MWL habits that are needed to stay in the land of ‘normal’ forevermore.

Best regards to everyone for a healthy, happy month of March!
Noella

Started McDougall Starch Based Diet December 29, 2019 - 240 pounds
Started Maximum Weight Loss Diet and this Support Group April 1, 2020 - 198 pounds
Today March 1, 2021 - 159

Congratulations, Noella!!! :lol: :lol:
moonlight

Postby Noella » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:36 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Noella - Congratulations on your "new normal" and the many remarkable results you have attained! I can certainly understand the impulse toward self-recrimination for not making lifestyle changes sooner, it is difficult to keep one's mind from fantasizing about "what might have been." Conversely, try imagining what the situation would be like if you had never made those important changes at all; many, MANY people never do. You can take pride in being someone with the determination, commitment and efficacy to change your life for the better. Fluency in this new "language" just requires continued practice - you are well on your way! :D

Thank you for your encouraging comments, Mark. I appreciate your wise words and empathic understanding. Practice...Yes, I’m going to keep practicing the 10 guidelines until the MWL lifestyle changes are as natural to me as though I had always lived this way of following Dr. McDougall’s recommendations for excellent health! :nod:

Thank you for your kind words, too, Moonlight!
Noella

Postby wildgoose » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm

@Noella Your results are fabulous! Congratulations!

I understand being hypercritical. I’m the same way. I wasn’t turning handsprings when I hit the "normal" category either. I thought I had so far to go....

But a size 8? A SIZE EIGHT?? Noella, I wear an 8 most of the time (granted, I’m 2 inches taller than you are, but still)! That’s fantastic. And better yet, all that weight off your knees. That’s a big deal. In 20 years, your less-arthritic self will look back on what you’ve done for yourself and cheer.

I’d say you’re pretty fluent. You may not be speaking like a native yet, but you’re getting the job done in terms of understanding and communicating. Well done!

Onward and downward....

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby wildgoose » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:53 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:I'm in for March! I've read through the orientation stuff, and hopefully I'm good to go. Let me know if there's something else to do in order to join. This is a bit different from the MWL 10 years ago ;)

I will post my weight changes on Fridays, and use the template the same day to keep myself accountable. I do weigh every day (and have done for a few years). My main reason for weighing once a day is the very reason Dr. M gives for weighing once a week: when you have daily fluctuations, and your weight fluctuates up on weigh in day...? then you're just discouraged, you know? And that's how it is for me. So I weigh daily in order to have a sane picture of what my weight actually does. But I'll post "officially" on Fridays.

@bunsofaluminum Welcome, Heidi! Glad to see you over here. I’ve followed your journal for a long time and I think you'll benefit from the group. Yes, it’s different from the "old" MWL, but I think the focus on the behaviors in the checklist is really helpful.

As long as you report once a week, you can weigh as often as works for you. Sometimes keeping a rolling average of daily weights can give you a better picture and can smooth out the fluctuations.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Noella » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 pm

wildgoose wrote:@Noella...I understand being hypercritical. I’m the same way. I wasn’t turning handsprings when I hit the "normal" category either. I thought I had so far to go...Goose

Thank you for all of your encouragement, Wildgoose. Yes, you nailed it. That’s exactly what it is: I feel that I still have “so far to go,” and I know that weight loss will now be at a much slower pace and require more effort. I don’t believe I need to be 120 pounds again to be healthy, but I also know that 159 is still too much weight for my frame, especially my knees, to carry. Probably 140 would put me at a weight where I can climb in and out of a kayak, get on and off a horse, and ride a bicycle again. I’m going to read your success story again right now to inspire me! Thank you! I liked your long term view that in twenty years, I will be looking back with a cheer to my less-arthritic self.
wildgoose wrote:@Noella ...better yet, all that weight off your knees. That’s a big deal. In 20 years, your less-arthritic self will look back on what you’ve done for yourself and cheer...Goose

Noella
Noella

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi everyone! I’ve read the orientation info and I’m in! I’m excited to join a community of like-minded individuals. I’ve been eating this way for a few months and I’ve been feeling great. I hope this forum will provide the support and community I’m looking for.
Rachael

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:05 am

Rachael - Hi! Welcome to the group. Feel free to post questions here, if any arise. :-D
Mark Cooper

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:10 am

wildgoose wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:I'm in for March! I've read through the orientation stuff, and hopefully I'm good to go. Let me know if there's something else to do in order to join. This is a bit different from the MWL 10 years ago ;)

@bunsofaluminum Welcome, Heidi! Glad to see you over here. I’ve followed your journal for a long time and I think you'll benefit from the group. Yes, it’s different from the "old" MWL, but I think the focus on the behaviors in the checklist is really helpful.

As long as you report once a week, you can weigh as often as works for you. Sometimes keeping a rolling average of daily weights can give you a better picture and can smooth out the fluctuations.

Goose

Thanks, Goose :) I think it is behavior for me, at this point. I know it is. I know what to do, I know how to eat...and keeping my mind in the game is going to come from brut determination and purposely forming the habit. I'm happy this forum is here, because the accountability is going to make a huge difference a few weeks from now when I'm saying "been there; done that" and my ADD brain is wandering.

But I must say, even though I haven't been solid in the past six or seven years, I never have strayed back all the way to omnivore, and I've always known what is best for my health. AND McDougall is the ONLY "diet" that I EVER came back to. Joining here is going to make the difference, for sure. Keep my mind in the game, eh?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:19 am

For me, I have just entered ‘normal’ BMI territory for the first time in years. I checked the BMI charts this morning and I found that 159 pounds is at the upper end of NORMAL for my height, which is 5’8.5”; this means I have officially arrived at my first, and most important destination, on my weight loss journey: NORMAL

Noella, you are doing awesome! I'm encouraged just reading your results, and yes, I understand the mixed emotions as well. For me, it was losing 55 lbs and getting into mere "overweight" category and THEN drifting away and gaining 60 lbs on high fat non-animal foods. Enough to make you feel bad about yourself, eh?

Anyway, you're doing fantastic! Looking forward to seeing your continued results.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby PotatoHead1980 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:54 am

My name is Chris and I am a starchaholic. I have read through the orientation materials and would like to join the group!

Five years ago I found out that I had high blood pressure. I found the Starch Solution and of course my blood pressure normalized, (results are typical). Since Covid hit last year, I have been working from my home office and I've attacked the vegan junk food with reckless abandon. Now there is talk of maybe moving back into the real office in a few months, but I can't fit into my work clothes, so here I am. I got back on track over a week ago and am already losing weight. I am, and will continue to, eat mostly Jeff's SNAP meals. I often don't eat breakfast, but when I do it will be old fashioned oats with fruit, from frozen. I love this way of eating and feel good about getting back on track. I'm looking forward to being a part of this group for March. I'll see you all at Friday's weigh-in!

Chris
Chris

“From now on, we live in a world where [PotatoHead1980 has lost weight]. And it's not a miracle, we just decided to go.”

-Tom Hanks as Cpt. Jim Lovell, (Slightly revised)
PotatoHead1980

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program