March 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weigh-In Report Compilation - March 26, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two lengthy posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for March 26 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for March 26 - Part 2

By my count, 21 participants reported for our final March 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the final Friday in March:

Week ending 3/26/2021: 21 participants reported a total loss of -18.50 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Rebecka22 +2.20
JaBee +0.90
Cmcavazos +0.80
GreenFroG +0.60
Gimmelean +0.10
Total gains: +4.60
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN / STARTING OUT
Chef16 0.00
HoustonJason 0.00
Rachael -0.20
Moonlight -0.40
Squealcat -0.40
Bunsofaluminum -0.50
Growing a Pear -0.50
Noella -0.50
PotatoHead1980 -0.80
birdy birdy -1.80
PonysPlants -2.60
Anne57 -2.80
Belana -2.80
Principality -3.10
Texaslil -3.20
CindyD -3.50
Total losses: -23.10
Cumulative group loss for March 2021 to date: 73.20 pounds
Average loss for week ending March 26: 0.88 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, April 2, 2021, in the April MWL group thread.

Another month draws to a close! Congratulations to all our March participants for your dedicated efforts! Onward to April!

Dining out has been a frequent topic of our discussion here, so I think it makes sense to share some recent additions to Jeff's thread on Dining Out, in case anyone missed seeing them.

Association Between Frequency of Eating Away-From-Home Meals and Risk of All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality
Published:March 25, 2021
DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2021.01.012

Results
During 291,475 person-years of follow-up, 2,781 deaths occurred, including 511 deaths from cardiovascular disease and 638 death from cancer. After adjustment for age, sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, dietary and lifestyle factors, and body mass index, the hazard ratio of mortality among participants who ate meals prepared away from home very frequently (2 meals or more per day) compared with those who seldom ate meals prepared away from home (fewer than 1 meal/wk) was 1.49 (95% CI 1.05 to 2.13) for all-cause mortality, 1.18 (95% CI 0.55 to 2.55) for cardiovascular mortality, and 1.67 (95% CI 0.87 to 3.21) for cancer mortality.

Conclusions
Frequent consumption of meals prepared away from home is significantly associated with increased risk of all-cause mortality. The association of eating meals prepared away from home with cardiovascular mortality and cancer mortality warrants additional investigation.
JeffN wrote:‘Healthy’ Plant Based Meals Drowning in Salt (and high in saturated fat)

- New survey by Action on Salt exposes shocking reality of many ‘healthy’ sounding plant based and vegan meals served at UK restaurants, fast food and coffee chains – with some containing more salt than 8 McDonald’s Hamburgers

- Nearly half (45%) of meals eaten out of the home contain 3g or more salt in just a single meal – that’s half the maximum daily limit for an adult

- Additionally, over one in five dishes provide more than half an adult’s maximum daily recommendation for saturated fat
As Jeff pithily observed,
JeffN wrote:We should rename the activity from Dining Out to Dying Out

The new thread for April will be posted on Monday. I hope to see you there! Take care and be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: March 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 am

Sorry, Mark. Don't know what happened! I didn't post. My weight has not changed but I have had several meltdowns. I can't figure out how to send a message to you, thus my public mea culpa! I am in for April, yea, April marks one year on MWL! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
josietheschnauzer

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:50 pm

josietheschnauzer wrote:Sorry, Mark. Don't know what happened! I didn't post. My weight has not changed but I have had several meltdowns. I can't figure out how to send a message to you, thus my public mea culpa! I am in for April, yea, April marks one year on MWL! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
One year of MWL! Awesome! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am

Another month draws to a close! Congratulations to all our March participants for your dedicated efforts! Onward to April!

Dining out has been a frequent topic of our discussion here, so I think it makes sense to share some recent additions to Jeff's thread on Dining Out, in case anyone missed seeing them.

Association Between Frequency of Eating Away-From-Home Meals and Risk of All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality
Published:March 25, 2021
DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2021.01.012

Results
During 291,475 person-years of follow-up, 2,781 deaths occurred, including 511 deaths from cardiovascular disease and 638 death from cancer. After adjustment for age, sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, dietary and lifestyle factors, and body mass index, the hazard ratio of mortality among participants who ate meals prepared away from home very frequently (2 meals or more per day) compared with those who seldom ate meals prepared away from home (fewer than 1 meal/wk) was 1.49 (95% CI 1.05 to 2.13) for all-cause mortality, 1.18 (95% CI 0.55 to 2.55) for cardiovascular mortality, and 1.67 (95% CI 0.87 to 3.21) for cancer mortality.

Conclusions
Frequent consumption of meals prepared away from home is significantly associated with increased risk of all-cause mortality. The association of eating meals prepared away from home with cardiovascular mortality and cancer mortality warrants additional investigation.
JeffN wrote:
‘Healthy’ Plant Based Meals Drowning in Salt (and high in saturated fat)

- New survey by Action on Salt exposes shocking reality of many ‘healthy’ sounding plant based and vegan meals served at UK restaurants, fast food and coffee chains – with some containing more salt than 8 McDonald’s Hamburgers

- Nearly half (45%) of meals eaten out of the home contain 3g or more salt in just a single meal – that’s half the maximum daily limit for an adult

- Additionally, over one in five dishes provide more than half an adult’s maximum daily recommendation for saturated fat
As Jeff pithily observed,
JeffN wrote:
We should rename the activity from Dining Out to Dying Out

so, yeah. This is timely, like providential, for me. We have a vacation to So Cal in April, and I'm planning on taking my own food, but also will have something "dining out"...however, the ideas at the top of Jeff's article, about requesting a plain whole starch and steamed veggies is SO doable! Thank you, thank you! I'll keep this data at the front of my mind, definitely! Good timing, Mark ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Noella » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:47 am

We had an occasion to celebrate my birthday and following your example in getting a real treat at Ruth’s Chris steak House on San Diego waterfront. It was as good as you recommended - 100% plant-based and oil free. The waiter told us this is the very first time that he had anybody request a meal with no dairy no oil no processed food - they were delighted to accommodate us - it was as good as you said it would be. The presentation was really beautiful. On either side of the baked potato we had steamed broccoli and steamed asparagus and some great balsamic vinegar for the potato. Thanks for your suggestion and we will be back there soon.”

P.S. You can get a salad, too, and a bowl of fresh berries for dessert!
Jeff

Thanks so much for posting all of the helpful information about the challenges and tips for dining out. This is such timely information for me as we have two restaurant meals planned for next week to celebrate an important milestone. It’s one dinner and one breakfast at a very accommodating restaurant and I am starting to think through what I will order, now, so I don’t have to make any decisions when I get there. I am definitely NOT going to order any of their vegan menu items. Instead, I am hoping to keep it simple and order starch, vegetables, and fruit that I know they have based on other menu items that are listed. I am going to look carefully at the restaurant’s menu and choose a couple of the most healthy foods. I have gone out to eat at this restaurant a few times in the past year since I have been following MWL. My worst experiences were with ordering their vegan meals (way too much oil, salt, sugar, nuts/seeds...). My healthiest and most delicious meal at a restaurant this year was when I ordered pasta with marinara sauce, baked potato, steamed veggies, salad with balsamic vinegar, and fresh fruit for dessert.

I think Jeff’s idea to make up a business card called How To Order Your Healthy Meal
(Show this to your waiter)
is an excellent one and so worth doing.
How To Order Your Healthy Meal
(Show this card to your waiter)

*************************************************************************************************************

No meat, fish, chicken, dairy, eggs, oil, salt, sugar

Assorted steamed vegetables, starchy vegetables, whole grains and legumes, please.

Thank you.

************************************************************************************************************

...it’s short, to the point and fits on a business card...
Jeff
Noella

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program