April 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:10 am

April 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Struggling to Achieve Results? Here are 9 Reasons Why
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: April 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

Count Me In!

Going strong and wanting to keep my momentum.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Count Me In!

Going strong and wanting to keep my momentum.
:thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:24 am

Hello to newcomers and visitors!
If you feel you can benefit from this group and would like to join, thoroughly review the orientation information, including the MWL Guidelines, MWL 10-Point Checklist, and Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer. After completing your review of the orientation materials, please post in this thread, introducing yourself and stating that you have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group. After submitting that post, you will officially be a participant in the group and needn't wait for any further confirmation. Please remember, there is nothing magical that happens when you join this group and your name is added to the list. Jeff, wildgoose and I can offer accountability and support in terms of understanding and implementing the MWL guidelines, and your fellow participants provide a feeling of community; but, it is up to you to actually make these changes in your daily life. All the forum posts in the world won't have an effect on the outcomes we seek, without lasting changes in our daily pattern of behavior. Don't obsess over the minutiae; rather, direct your energy toward doing an excellent job at the fundamental principles. I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it.
Mark Cooper

Postby turnthepage » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:44 am

I have reviewed the orientation materials and would like to be added to the group.

So glad to hear about this weigh-in group for the learning and accountability. I'm three weeks into adopting a WFPB way of eating and am feeling great! Have been binge watching/reading all things "McDougall and friends," so this group and program should be perfect to help keep me going on my health journey. Cheers!
turnthepage

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:53 pm

turnthepage - Welcome to the group! I'm glad you decided to join us! Cheers for feeling great! :)
Mark Cooper

Reminder - Weigh-In on Friday, April 2, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's weigh-in and seeing everyone's reports! Friday is this group's weigh-in day, and participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the summary that I compile for Saturday evening. This group is all about changing patterns of behavior, so it seems reasonable to me to expect those who choose to participate in the weekly weigh-in to honor that time frame for reporting. In addition to reporting your weight change in pounds, more importantly, please be sure to evaluate your behaviors within the context of the MWL 10-Point Checklist, as discussed at the beginning of this thread. I will respond to everyone's reports in a cumulative post on Friday evening and Saturday evening, and the summary for the week will be posted Saturday night.

For more information on why participants are recommended to weigh themselves once a week while in the weight loss phase, check out this excellent and thorough article from Jeff - To Weigh or Not to Weigh

My very best to all, and I'll see you tomorrow!
Mark Cooper

Postby TheHolyMess » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Count me IN! :-D
TheHolyMess

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm

TheHolyMess wrote:Count me IN! :-D
Hello and welcome! Be sure and take some time to review the Orientation Information, and follow the instructions therein. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby RebeccaF » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Hello,

I have reviewed all the orientation materials and agree to follow the checklist and outline. Will post to weigh-in tomorrow.

Rebecca
RebeccaF

Postby trishe » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:21 pm

Let's do it!
trishe

Postby Isi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:24 pm

I would like to be added to the group please
Isi

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 am

RebeccaF - Welcome to the group! I look forward to your first report tomorrow. :)

Hello, trishe and Isi! Be sure to review the Orientation materials, if you haven't already done so.
Mark Cooper

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:50 am

Down 0.4lbs this week. Nothing special but still a loss.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life ;)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NO. Did 5 out of 7.

Nothing spectacular this week, just plodding on and saying “in the groove”. Wasn’t expecting as big a loss as last week but a bit more would have been nice. I have a few challenges this week. My husband is off work and I know that he has a few places he wants to get food from as a “treat”. I have scouted the places out to see if there are any options that are compatible with MWL. One is a Korean place that does brown rice salad bowls so I’ll just have to ask for oil free and another is a vegan health cafe that I’m sure will be able to do me some oil free food. On the plus side there is not Easter chocolate to be found in the house!

Thanks so much Mark and the other moderators for your ongoing support!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby RebeccaF » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:00 am

Hope I got to the right place to do the weigh-in. Today is my first and I clocked in at 146.2 pounds fully dressed.

Rebecca
RebeccaF

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program