May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Ruff » Fri May 14, 2021 3:02 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:

previous weight 161.8
todays weight 159.7
down 2.1lbs (although this is actually a 2 week loss)
Very happy with this. 1lb a week is good enough for me.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Not quite. I made a stirfry and put in low sodium Tamari ...and only realised when I was eating it, that Tamari is soy. And, of course, that cashew milk is still creeping in.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Cashew milk in tea. I cracked.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes. I am training for my next aikido grading and doing 4 x 2 hour classes a week, as well as some basic running, or a minimum 45 minute walk-on the beach with the dog most days.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
I bought some new scales and set them to pounds rather than kg, so I dont have to keep converting. As pounds move down quicker than kg's this is very motivating. Also into the 150's!
Low sodium Tamari? Yes or no?

all good this week. no real issues except that darn milk in the tea. I aways have good ideas and plans about how to fix it...and I always crack. Its not the solutions, its the will.

This week I concentrated on No1...starting the meal. I made some cup-a-soup by dehydrating pumpkin and carrot soup, so I just have to pour water onto the powder in a cup. Also I made some salads in a jar, 5 in one go, so I just tip the jar out into a bowel. I have given up trying to find a salad dressing that I like and eat the salad plain or with a splash of lemon. Breakfast is easy, a banana or apple before my run, porridge when I get back.

Next week is to concentrate on No2. Filling the plate with 50% starch and 50% veg. I'm not sure I do this. I have the veg OK, not too sure about 50% starch, particularly before aikido class when I like to eat very lightly. I used to have sweet treats when I got back, vegan baking etc, but I have stopped this since I started MWL and have a cup of tea when I get back instead. (cashew milk :eek: )

thank you Mark. Onwards.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Kappagator_96 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.4, 147lbs this week!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. No, about 80%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. No, one restaurant meal
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No, restaurant meal (bread)
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Husband brought home my favorite treat, and I did not eat a bite! I had him and the kids eat it all within 10 minutes of him bringing it home. :lol: Goal this week was to work on preloading meals. I did this about 80% of the time, the other 20% I just forgot because it is not habit yet. Thought I would be safe having take out Indian food on Mother’s Day, but turned out to be reallllllllly oily :oops: In response, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and learned how to make a few Indian dishes without any oil, family LOVED it and said it was better than the restaurant, Win! I am back in the gym 3 times a week, and really enjoying the camaraderie of my HIIT classes and getting back in shape. The other 4 days, I take a walk and do a lot of stretching. Goal for this week: preload 100% of meals. Will write myself a note and stick it on the fridge as a reminder. VERY happy with my loss this week, but have a sneaking suspicion it is not “real.” Anytime I “lose” a large amount in a week some of it tends to reappear in 24 hours, just water weight or hormones or whatever. Regardless, trusting the process and moving forward into this next week. Thank you for your assistance and support!
Kappagator_96

Postby Rachael » Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 am

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert.yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.one time had cereal

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.yes

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).yes

My office ordered food out one day and I ordered the veggies to be cooked with no oil. Surprise, surprise they didn't come that way so I threw them out. I mourned for a couple minutes but I knew it wasn't worth it. I'm happy I thought to still pack my own lunch that day in case this happened. I also avoided giving in to buying nuts at the store because they were so heavily discounted. In the past I've told myself 'I'll be able to handle it this time. I'll just eat a few or I'll get them for my family' and of course I would finish them up by the end of the afternoon! I did have a major internal struggle to just walk away from the nuts but I did it!
Rachael

Postby alishana » Fri May 14, 2021 6:02 am

Hi ! I'm + 0,2 lbs this week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Not for a meal
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Not for a meal
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Not for 3 meals
6. Eliminate any added oil. Not for 2 meals
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Not for a meal
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Not for a meal
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Thank you so much for your answer last week Mark. You're always so encouraging and pointing me back to the rules and motivation.

This week was less compliant than the last one. Half of the week was 10/10. For the problematic half, here are the problematics situations and some solutions :
- when ordering sushis : next time I'll only take rice and cucumber makis
- when needing to go eat at work in a rush : I need to have more food ready in the fridge.
- celebrating an holiday : I need to buy sparkling water instaed of sugary drinks, having oil free veggies on the side. It's easier to do when I'm in charge and when it's an holiday that I celebrate because I don't need specifics meals to feel happy (my husband and I don't come from the same religious background).
I've learn someting this week, I now can do better hopefully ! Still happy to see that I have some good habits in place :
- I now moove every day
- I have "bad meals" and no more "bad full day of eating" days.
alishana

Postby frowsyowl » Fri May 14, 2021 7:43 am

Good Morning!

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.8 (227)
78% compliant with the checklist.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 6/6...except breakfast
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 5/6
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 5/6
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 5/6
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 4/6
6. Eliminate any added oil. 5/6
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 1/6
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 5/6
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 6/6
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 5/6

I started on Saturday, so my counts are short a day. Saturday wasn't great, did well through lunch, then didn't have a firm plan of how I would deal with Mother's day dinner. I felt I needed to give her more notice, and had decided spontaneously to change my diet the day before.

Otherwise, I need to work on #7. Some of the McDougall recipes I chose in order to use up things in our pantry. This included veggie burgers with bread crumbs as a binder. Other than Saturday, I had no other bread products, and didn't eat buns with the burgers.

Feel pretty good about things overall. Was hoping for a bigger loss this week, but needed to remind myself that I did eat pretty good the week before. I'm not sure if this is a real loss either, because I weighed both at 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. (Did you know there is more gravity at 3:00?)
frowsyowl

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:05 am

161.4 Weight change +/- in lbs: +0.2 pounds
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Six yeses, four no’s. Could have been a lot better, but without this group and this list it also could have been a lot worse. I found saying no difficult this week. I planned, but I was out of town staying in a house with my sister who really wanted to feed me. After the first night I was able to convince her to just let me cook for myself, but it seemed to lower my resolve for the week. I feel more in control and back on track now, so here’s to staying the course this week. Going to take it one day at a time.
Rebecka22

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 14, 2021 8:13 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +2

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. could do with less sugar. Starlite mints are still an issue
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). a few spoonfuls of peanut butter
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. a piece of toast with honey, twice in the week
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. no

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: So, the scale went nuts this week. The Monday after returning from vacation, it showed up 6 lbs, then dropped four lbs right away. And then on Wednesday it jumped three and that is where it stuck until this morning, where it showed down one lb. I've been wracking my brain trying to think what I'm doing that has stalled me, and the main thing that I'm doing/not doing consistently is eating beyond satiety. I still have soup before every meal, but then I polish off everything on my plate, even after feeling satiated. I've been over filling my stomach at the majority of my meals. Guess I'd better be mindful of that, eh?

Walking is amazing! I've increased my steps to 5,000 a day, up from 2,000 starting in February, and then 4,000 which I started in mid-March. The weather is perfect for it...sunshiny, with cool, delicious air. Trees in blossom, flowers blooming all over the place. It's getting to where I'll need to take my first walk in the morning, which I did today. Great start to the day! I'll do that for the summer, to avoid the heat of the day.

Yesterday I had one starlite mint and one butterscotch. Down from zillions :lol: but I'll continue with that trend, as well.
Here's to pounds down for next week's weigh-in!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby carwex » Fri May 14, 2021 8:22 am

Starting weight: 141.5
Last week’s weight: 129.8
Current weight: 130.9
Loss/gain this week +1.1 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Use miso as seasoning in a dish/a little almond milk in porridge and tea.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. Yes
8. Don’t drink your calories. Drink only water and tea with a little almond milk
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary. yes

The above is my accounting of the first 4 days of the past week. After that, I started to prepare for a lunch to which I had invited some new guests. I made such a big deal of it (in my mind) that I went off the rails as far as the MWL goes. And as a result the weight gain. I did not reach for the hard core ingredients but just stuff that is not MWL adherent like some oil, humus, tehini, salt and from there it was all downhill. I have been feeling that I just can’t deal with the slips that come with entertaining-especially non-family members. It sometimes happens with family too. I can’t seem to make MWL adherent meals for my guests so why invite guests. I have been doing this for over 50 years and am now looking for a way out.
I am slowly getting back to the MWL. I hope by next week, I will have a more positive report.
Carol
carwex

Postby HoustonJason » Fri May 14, 2021 8:27 am

From Houston Jason

May 7 = 202
May 14 = 202

Weight change +/- in lbs: no change

Total = - 50 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. No, most of the time.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. No, not enough in the veggies department this week
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No, I had a few beers over the weekend celebrating my 50 pound milestone.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I jumped on the rebounder 4 out of 7 days and another couple of days I rode a bicycle for the first time in many years.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I celebrated with beers with friends last weekend, but I’m back on the MWL train now. This week I tested the theory that riding a bike is “just like riding a bike”. And it’s true. I really enjoyed getting on a bicycle again. I borrowed my next door neighbor’s bicycle to see if I could ride it and then the next day I rented a bike and rode from a friend’s house near downtown over to Minute Maid Park to watch baseball. I think I might buy a bike for some variety in my exercise (though I’ll have to wake up really early to ride it during the summer in Houston!) Thanks as always for your help and guidance!

Original Weight = 252 on January 1, 2021 Jan. 8 = 244 Jan. 15 = 237 Jan. 22 = 234 Jan. 29 = 231 February 5 = 226 Feb. 12 = 225 Feb. 19 = 221 Feb. 26 = 219 March 5 = 218 March 12 = 212 March 19 = 210 March 26 = 210 April 2 = 209 April 9 = 207 Apr 16 = 207 Apr 23 = 206 Apr 30 = 206 May 7 = 202 May 14 = 202
HoustonJason

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 14, 2021 8:36 am

I have given up trying to find a salad dressing that I like and eat the salad plain or with a splash of lemon.

Katie, I'm the same way. I haven't found a salad dressing outside of ranch or blue cheese, so I don't eat salads BUT...one way that makes them easier to eat is chopped salad. That is, chop all the ingredients to smallish pieces. Lettuce, cukes, mushrooms, peppers. And also, I have been known to put the entree ON the salad. Spaghetti salad! Rice and beans salad! Potatoes and salsa salad!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby HoustonJason » Fri May 14, 2021 10:44 am

I use Skinnygirl Poppyseed dressing and like it a lot. If it's not on plan, oh well, I'm sticking with it. I don't need a lot of it.

bunsofaluminum wrote:
I have given up trying to find a salad dressing that I like and eat the salad plain or with a splash of lemon.

Katie, I'm the same way. I haven't found a salad dressing outside of ranch or blue cheese, so I don't eat salads BUT...one way that makes them easier to eat is chopped salad. That is, chop all the ingredients to smallish pieces. Lettuce, cukes, mushrooms, peppers. And also, I have been known to put the entree ON the salad. Spaghetti salad! Rice and beans salad! Potatoes and salsa salad!
HoustonJason

Postby GreenFroG » Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.0 No change

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Stayed on course for the week except for eating out once. Had a bean tostada with rice and beans on the side. I didn't have a salad before hand (#1). I did eat a sweet potato before I went so I would not eat a lot of chips and salsa. That helped keep my hands out of trouble and let me focus on visiting. # 6 and #7 were because of the meal. I ate out and then got back on track, so felt that was a victory. I am slowly trying to see how to eat out once in awhile, as we will be taking a road trip at the end of the month. Felt I did ok but also did not loose any weight this week. Hope to be back to more thumbs up next week!
GreenFroG

Mark's Replies for May 14 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm

PonysPlants - That is fantastic, Naomi! Glad you were able to bounce back from the vaccination, and wishing you a smooth recovery for your hip. According to my records, you've lost 27.60 lbs while reporting with the group! :D

Ruff - Excellent progress! Aikido sounds like an exciting way to get in your exercise. Provided it is used minimally, as a condiment, tamari should be acceptable. The primary reason to eliminate tofu and other soy foods is the high fat content, i.e. 45% of the calories in tofu come from fat; tamari is only about 1% calories from fat, and the recommendation to greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts would be more relevant - just treat it as you would added salt, and use modestly (unless it causes troublesome cravings for you). I dress my salads with lime juice and cider vinegar; I've found that if I include a variety of ingredients with varying flavors in the salad, I don't need a more substantial dressing.

Kappagator_96 - That is a notable loss, and aside from that single restaurant meal it seems like you aced this week! Learning how to prepare your own Indian dishes is an admirable solution to the problem of oily take out. :thumbsup: Cheers for trusting the process and moving forward!

Rachael - Awesome work! It sounds like you successfully navigated quite a few obstacles this week, and being well-prepared once again paid off. Give yourself a pat on the back for your determined efforts!

alishana - It seems to me you had a week filled with valuable learning; I'm so impressed with you for thinking through SOLUTIONS to the various challenges you faced! Recognizing that an individual "slip up" doesn't have to mean surrendering to a "bad full day" seems especially significant. :nod:

frowsyowl - Nice progress, Jennifer! It sounds like you are making a steady transition into applying the recommended behaviors consistently. Keep moving that 78% rate of adherence upward and I'm sure you'll see further gratifying results. :)

Rebecka22 - I'm so happy to hear that participating in this group gave you some helpful support during a tough week. :) Travel is one of the most prominent challenges that arises; it illustrates the powerful influence environment has on our behaviors. Couple that with social influence and adherence can really be an uphill climb. This trip gives you a good idea of the important things to prepare and account for in future situations that are similar. Glad you are feeling back on track! Focus on making the "next right choice," one day at a time.

bunsofaluminum - Those walks sound really lovely and kudos to you for all those increased steps! If you find that you are stuffing yourself to the point of being uncomfortable, that is certainly worth being mindful about; do your very best to adhere to all the recommended behaviors as consistently as possible, and I'm sure you will see renewed progress with time.

carwex - It would appear that your adherence was quite solid until that social luncheon knocked you off course; to me, that is encouraging, because it presents a clear, distinguishable obstacle that could ultimately be overcome. Think about how you might handle an event like that differently, to better support your goals. Something I've found helpful in comparable situations is to prepare adherent dishes, but with a variety of richer foods as "add-ins," toppings, or sauces for guests whose preferences differ from mine. Do you think that might be worth trying? Dealing with these challenges is not easy, treat yourself with compassion and know that it often takes numerous tries to get it "right." Focus your attention on returning to the recommendations, and I'm sure you will have many positive days ahead. :)

HoustonJason - Kudos for getting right "back on the MWL train" after the weekend celebration, and for being adventurous enough to get back on a bicycle after many years! A bike ride and some baseball sounds like a fun outing. :cool:

GreenFroG - I think being able to dine out, be prepared, make the best decisions you could, and get right back on track definitely seems like a victory! As you get more experience practicing how to dine out while remaining adherent, you'll find the restaurants and situations that best suit your needs and things should get easier. Jeff's principles for Dining Out are a great resource.

For everyone: A good way to determine whether a given, commercially prepared condiment, dressing, or sauce is acceptable is by applying Jeff's Rules & Guidelines For Reading Labels. Additionally, this dressing recipe has been popular with group members in the past.
Mark Cooper

Postby Noella » Fri May 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi Mark,

No change

I followed these five MWL principles easily:
1. :) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. :) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. :) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
9. :) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
10. :) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

While I was staying at my daughter’s house for a few days this week I helped to prepare the meals and I always made sure there were MWL adherent foods available for me to choose from but, shockingly, a taste of carrot cake and a sip of champagne at one meal to celebrate Mother’s Day means I didn't succeed on these five principles:

4. :shock: (egg and cream cheese in the carrot cake!)Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. :shock: (walnuts in carrot cake!)Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. :shock: (olive oil in carrot cake!) Eliminate any added oil.
7. :shock: (flour in carrot cake!) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. :shock: ( Mothers Day Mimosa) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

I paid for my straying from MWL immediately with an upset tummy, and for the rest of the week my appetite has been way up from what it usually is I have been having some cravings for non MWL foods, too, all because of that one meal. Pleasure trap?! Maybe. Lesson learned. I hope!

Noella
Noella

Postby chef16 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:03 am

05/08/2021 224#
05/15/2021 223#
lose of 1 #
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.50%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.50%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.95%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).65%
6. Eliminate any added oil.100%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.65%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).100%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).30%

At least I am maintaining what I have lost! :|
Doreen
chef16

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program