May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby frowsyowl » Fri May 21, 2021 7:21 am

Weight Change: -2.4

84% compliant overall...a 6% improvement. I'd like to hit 90% next week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 7/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 6/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 7/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 7/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 5/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 5/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 3/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).7/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 7/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).5/7

Victories, etc:
Made it through a couple rough days with treat days (at work) and feeling like I couldn't keep going! Need to start adding a small prep day mid to late week--either for more raw vegetables or more plain starches, rice potatoes. (I think this is why #7 is such a problem, bringing along with it the added fat on occasion). The bean dishes go farther. (Need to keep figuring out what will work with other people in my household. Just when I think I have one complaint solved, it's another).

Current wt. 224.6 :unibrow:
Last edited by frowsyowl on Fri May 21, 2021 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
frowsyowl

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 21, 2021 7:47 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. most
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :oops:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :oops:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). mostly
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: The best thing about this past week is how large some of my tops are...though sadly one of those is a favorite that I bought on my honeymoon two years ago. It is a mint green pullover hoody that we bought after our Cirque du Soleil night. It hangs like a tunic on me, which is cool looking over my rear, but baggy around the shoulders which isn't so cool looking.
Also loving my morning walks. I am up to 5,000 steps and get in at least 3,500 before 6:30 a.m. Love. It.

The weirdest thing about the week is the behavior of the scale. It went up after my week vacation in April, and went down again right away, and then up four lbs where it stuck for ABSOLUTE DAYS. Then it went down two...and the next morning up three! And today it's down one lb compared to last Friday's weigh in. :duh:

As for my :oops: elements. On two different days I ate rice crackers for a snack. The sugars...I'm still having too many starlite mints in a day. Gotta work on that.

And my "Mostly" elements. For part of the week, we had run out of ingredients so I didn't front load with soup for two days I guess. And the juice. I had grape nuts for breakfast one morning with juice instead of oatmilk. Oh. Grapenuts are also a flour based food.

Overall it's been a good week. I've kept my food simple and humble, have eaten only until satiated, have been more active overall, and am loving the new "problem" of much of my clothing being too big.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 am

159.2 Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.2 pounds
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: This week was much better. Reading everyone’s posts and especially Jeff’s was really helpful along with the resources from Mark. The point about always doing 50/50 even for snacks was helpful for me, especially understanding how that can impact overeating down the road. I’m going out of town with my husband this weekend, but I feel good about my planning and I feel like I’m in a good place. Thank you!
Rebecka22

Postby HoustonJason » Fri May 21, 2021 7:55 am

From Houston Jason

May 14 = 202
May 21 = 202

Weight change +/- in lbs: no change

Total = - 50 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. No, most of the time.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. No, most of the time.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No, I have unsweetened almond milk in my coffee and oatmeal.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I jumped on the rebounder 5 out of 7 days with small hand weights. I’m doing sit-ups as well.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I’ve been at a plateau since the big week I had at the beginning of May. Maybe some of the weight is muscle gain. All I have left to lose are about 10-15 pounds that have been around my mid-section for at least 23 years because it’s been over 23 years since I’ve been this thin. I have a feeling these last pounds are going to be stubborn, but I’m up for it. The 36” waist pants I bought a couple months ago are getting loose so I ordered some 34” pants. Thanks as always for your help and guidance!

Original Weight = 252 on January 1, 2021 Jan. 8 = 244 Jan. 15 = 237 Jan. 22 = 234 Jan. 29 = 231 February 5 = 226 Feb. 12 = 225 Feb. 19 = 221 Feb. 26 = 219 March 5 = 218 March 12 = 212 March 19 = 210 March 26 = 210 April 2 = 209 April 9 = 207 Apr 16 = 207 Apr 23 = 206 Apr 30 = 206 May 7 = 202 May 14 = 202 May 21 = 202
HoustonJason

Postby squealcat » Fri May 21, 2021 8:37 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: I didn't post last week but my weight the week before was 191# and this week 191.2# so a gain of 0.2 pounds since then

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.most of the time
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.most of the time but not always
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).no
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).no
6. Eliminate any added oil.yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.no
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).no
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).not so good this week but I walked when I could

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I did not report last week as I was fighting with myself as to whether I should change things up. I decided that what I was doing was the right way to do it so here I am ! :nod:

I had a lot of "no" answers to the MWL points . I tried a smoothie one day and bread was tempting me.....etc, etc. I don't want to go into it. I have had to start to help with caregiving for my little grandson on three days each week instead of once a week. He is special needs and they lost their nurse that they have had so I am stepping in until they find another one. This has messed up my walking routine but at the same time I have discovered that mostly sitting for hours during the day really is not good! I ended up stiff and sore ! I will have to figure out another routine. I can certainly exercise while I am there as it is my daughter's house. I will just have to do it at Felix's bedside. It will probably be entertaining for him! :unibrow: I already feel better after two days doing my 3 miler and stretching afterwards.

Anyway, here I am keeping on ! I know I can do this.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby GreenFroG » Fri May 21, 2021 10:06 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.2 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Had a solid week and felt good about it. Will be going on a 10 day road trip next week, so being in a groove should help me to stay on track. I have planned out some food to take along. Packed things like oatmeal and cinnamon in baggies, sweet potatoes to take into the restaurants, and garbanzo beans to snack on or add to salads. I also have a little bottle of red wine vinegar to put on salads when we eat out. I will not be posting next Friday, but will join again in June. As I get ready for this trip, I realize how much I have learned and changed from being a part of this group and the wisdom of all the moderators. Thank you. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!
GreenFroG

Mark's Replies for May 21 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri May 21, 2021 1:00 pm

PonysPlants - 65 lbs total! That is great, Naomi! It is the beauty of MWL, you can eat of the recommended foods whenever you feel hungry, until you're comfortably full; no deprivation necessary. :D Onward!

Kappagator_96 - Seems like a solid week of adherence; I can imagine this weigh-in feels quite frustrating, but trust the process, keep attending to the recommended behaviors as closely as possible, and the scale will "get in line" with your overall pattern of behavior before long. I agree with you that this particular scale reading likely doesn't represent your actual progress. Hang in there!

frowsyowl - You are making real headway, Jennifer! Dedicating some extra time to have an adequate stock of prepared, adherent foods nearly always makes adherence more easily attainable. :nod: It can definitely be a challenge to plan for adherent meals that satisfy everybody, with varying tastes and disparate dietary patterns. I'm confident you'll get it figured out with a little time, trial and error, and some support and cooperation from the rest of your household.

bunsofaluminum - Needing a new, smaller wardrobe seems like a fun "problem" to have! :-D On any given day, the scale is a pretty poor and imprecise proxy for what we would actually like to measure, for all the reasons Jeff covers in To Weigh or Not to Weigh; focus on behavior and results will follow accordingly.

Rebecka22 - 10/10 and down 2.2 pounds! Excellent! Have a fun weekend with your husband; planning and preparation are definitely key to maintaining adherence while away from home. :thumbsup:

HoustonJason - Considering that you have hit a 23 year low weight, and you need new, smaller-waisted pants, you have a lot to be excited about! I expect your intuition that those last pounds may be stubborn is probably accurate; Jeff covers the reasons why in Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them. He closes the article with some great advice:
The margin of error has become very narrow know and it is important to really understand the principles and to be much more compliant and adherent to them.

This is why the last 5-10 lbs are always the most difficult.

There is literally, no more wiggle room ;)

Of course, this is where sometimes people go elsewhere, thinking the program has failed, and as explained in the earlier thread, they may find some new tricks or gimmicks to use, that, in the end, will work only if they end up in helping them to eat less calories. There is no magic.

They could have also just done a very honest and thorough appraisal of the guidelines and principles of the MWL program and calorie density and their understanding and adherence to them.

Then, make the recommended adjustments as needed.

Remember, the program always works because it is based on sound science.

squealcat - I'm glad you decided to stick with MWL, Marilyn; the recommended pattern of behavior is absolutely the right way to proceed for attaining your goals. I imagine your grandson might get quite a kick out of a bedside exercise routine! Cheers for keeping on; focus on turning those NOs into YESes, make use of the tools that have helped you in the past, and try not to second guess yourself. Remember the formula is TIME + ADHERENCE = RESULTS.

GreenFroG - 10 big THUMBS-UP and a loss of 1.2 lbs! You should feel good about the week! It seems you are taking the challenge of adherence on the road quite seriously, which is great. :thumbsup: Planning to succeed will keep you headed toward success (and guard the excellent groove you have built). Have a wonderful time and we will see you in June! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Ruff » Fri May 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:
last week 159.8
this week 158.6
loss of 1.2lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes. Including mono-salads!

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO! Ran out of my homemade stock and chucked some bouillon in a chilli. Only checked the ingredients later. 5 calories:1000mg salt. Opps. Chilli made 8 portions.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No, before Wednesday. Yes, after Wednesday.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
2 big things and 1 small thing to report this week. First, my slim, fit, BMI of 21, ultra running husband has decided to do an Engine 2 21 day challenge. He is already a vegan inclined vegetarian, eating mostly vegan at home, plus an occasional egg when the neighbours chooks have gone into overdrive, and some cheese. But his vegan includes lots of baking (sugar/oil), and coconut cream and sometimes coconut oil. He has always been supportive of me, and eats what is put in front of him cheerfully enough, but he bakes at the weekends... He has always said he needs the extras, but then he saw Rip climbing UP the fire pole. Real. Men. Eat. Plants. He is 61 now, and wants to keep running into his 80's. He wants to reach his 80's......

2nd.....I think I have cracked the cashew milk in the tea problem. I was fascinated about why kicking this was so hard. I mean I have given up chocolate for goodness sake! I have given up lots and lots of things I have loved with little more than a sigh. Why was the cashew milk in the tea such an issue? Finally it dawned on me that it wasn't so much the tea but the RITUAL. I would set freshly drawn water onto boil (carefully emptying any stale water from the kettle first) Then the china teapot would be pre-warmed, and the exact amount of posh leaf tea would be measured into it. The water would be poured on, and the cosy put over the pot. Cashew milk and tea would be poured into a china cup in the correct order, using a tea strainer, and finally I would sit down on the sofa with my tea and my book. Relaxation time has started. So on Tuesday I brought some very posh organic fruit and herb infusions. I selected a teapot from my collection (deep blue with white stars) and a nice teacup and saucer and created a new ritual with my fruit 'teas'. I do still miss my Earl Grey with cashew, but the fruit infusions are providing an acceptable alternative now there is a ritual attached to them, and its not just a case of chucking a bag in a mug and pouring some hot water on.

Last..mono-salads. If things are in a rush and I haven't got soup handy, or salad in a jar ready prepped, mono-salads have come to the rescue. So I would eat a large carrot whilst prepping the meal, or a small bowl of cherry tomatoes. I will still try and prep salad jars and soups but the mono-salads have come to the rescue a couple of times this week.

Thank you mark.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby cmcavazos » Fri May 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.2# gain

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit NO.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories: None this week
Comments: A gain this week. I was out of town severals days we were eating out - thus, the added calories and oil in my meals. Hopefully, it will be better next week. I can't believe that May is almost over.
Questions: None
cmcavazos

Postby Gimmelean » Fri May 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -2.2
5/14/2021. 131.0
5/21/2021. 128.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 100%

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume).100%

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 100%

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100%

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).100%

6. Eliminate any added oil. 90%

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, popcorn and dried fruit. 90%

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 100%

Victories, comments, concerns, questions.
Mark, your words at the beginning of the May post -to plan for success as a default and not a lucky occurrence -really helped me get back on track. I haven’t been perfect, and it hasn’t been easy, but I am doing so much better. For everyone, I recommend reading Mark’s post again, and again, and again, whenever you need a boost. Have a good week and stick with it!
Gimmelean

Postby carwex » Sat May 22, 2021 2:16 am

Starting weight: 141.5
Last week’s weight: 130.9
Current weight: 126.9
Loss/gain this week: -4 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Use miso as seasoning in a dish/a little almond milk in porridge and tea.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. Yes
8. Don’t drink your calories. Drink only water and tea with a little almond milk
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary. Not able to this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: The enormous weight loss of 4 pounds this week was not due to strict adherence to the principles but rather from not being able to eat for 4 days due to vertigo and some sort of digestive condition. But, of course, my crazy weight obsessed mind secretly loves the outcome. I can’t remember ever having been at this weight, maybe 3rd grade (I was a pretty fat kid).

But the important thing is health and not weight, especially for me at 79. Having been plant based on McDougall and very low fat for 11 years I believe that I am much better off health-wise than most of my peers (I do not take any medications and my tests are always normal) But I also harbor a notion that I am immune to disease and this keeps me from seeking the advice of doctors when it seems appropriate. Some of this is understandable. The medical establishment sees an old lady coming and immediately equates me with illness. I do keep telling them that old age is not a disease, but the medical professionals are used to seeing old people who have chronic conditions (mainly brought on by bad diet) and they also depend on this notion to keep their industry moving. In relation to all medical issues I refer first to Dr McDougall’s excellent medical advice which he provides gratis on his website. Moreover, I try to seek out professionals who have a similar approach but its I not always possible.

I am feeling much better now and am returning slowly to the MWL 10 points.
Carol
carwex

Postby Zoey » Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: - .4

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: Maybe a little too much actually...
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

I have to say that I'm really proud of myself for staying away from the wine for another week. But wow, I may be overcompensating with my fruit intake. Of course I'm always guilty of this in the summer. If too much fruit is my darkest confession for the week, I won't hang my head too low. ;-)

But something bothersome happened this week, too. I got 'sober-shamed' by quite the unexpected source. I'm sharing this here because we're all trying to improve our health in both common and different ways. Anyway, it saddened me, but then strengthened me, so I'll use it as a gift.

I want to continue (like Carol said above) to be free of any medications throughout my life.

Thanks to Mark and everyone else for your comments and victories and struggles. Onward!
Zoey

Postby CindyD » Sat May 22, 2021 9:31 am

May 15, 2021 139.6
May 22, 2021 142.0
RESULT +2.4

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES

Had some hummus with added oil this week, and some flour products. The weight "gain" is a bummer but, I don't believe I added 2.4 lbs of fat or anything. Plus, I have just come from my initial visit with my new trainer! I finally found a local guy (I hoped to find a plant-based/vegan trainer but he has worked with vegans and I felt comfortable when we discussed nutrition). While I continue to walk the dogs twice a day (total of 40 minutes+), I have been aware that I need to increase my exercise and especially my muscle strength in order to make the most of this lifestyle. So, despite the scale I am pretty excited about becoming more fit. Have a great week, everyone! Holy cow almost June.
CindyD

Postby texaslil » Sat May 22, 2021 10:41 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
no change

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 4/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I was mostly adherent, except for a family get together meal that was vegan but not oil and flour free. I didn't get as much exercise this week as it has been raining a lot and my pup has an injured leg :cry: which has limited the walks we have gone on. I also did have some green juice this week which I will eliminate this upcoming week. have a good weekend everyone.
texaslil

Postby Noella » Sat May 22, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi Mark,

Down 1 pound —155! :nod: Getting there...on track this week!

I followed these five MWL principles easily:
1. :) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. :) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. :) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. :) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. :) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. :) Eliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. :) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. :) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
10. :) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Lots of gardening!

I feel slimmer and trimmer each week. My osteoarthritis still hurts when I walk but not as bad as a year ago so I’m Inspired to lose another 25 plus pounds to save my knees from the burden of weight.
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Tue May 25, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program