May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: May 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Drew* » Fri May 28, 2021 10:45 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: N/A. (193.1 lbs. )

MWL checklist

Per a PM with Mark, I am joining in again as I have gained weight and need to get on track with a healthy way of eating...after a hospitalization in late January I lost and then regained weight plus some...

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Need to start doing this again...
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2 out of 3 meals per day on average
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Needs work as I did so 3 out of 7 days
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Done.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Goal for this week is to add a commitment to no nuts, avocados, etc. as I did 0 out of 7 days
6. Eliminate any added oil. Oil in the foods that I chose. 0 out of 7 days
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 0 out of 7 days (my goal for this coming week is to eat whole grains or pasta and veggies or fruit whenever craving crackers, popcorn, bread, nuts or seeds...)
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Done.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Need to start this see above goal.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Done- average of 30 minutes a day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I am just starting out again and as you can read, I've got a ways to go with some goal setting and behaviors...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Ruff » Fri May 28, 2021 12:43 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:
Last week 158.6
This week 158.4
down 0.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :unibrow: No. Salt issues, see below.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D

All good, except the salt, which coming at the end of the week, I think has affected my weight loss. I have asked for advice both on this forum and on Jeff Novicks forum, but thus far no takers. I have a bad leg, and have foot drop. I cannot dorsiflex my foot, and I run with a leg brace.After a long run on Wednesday I began suffering severe cramps in my bad leg. I resorted to salt and magnesium eventually, which solved the problem. I am researching the net for alternatives, and have found a product with no sodium called Cramp Stop that one sprays under ones tongue, but I need to research what is actually in it first!

Other than the salt, I am happy with this week, I am getting into a routine now. Obviously not happy with the lack of weight loss, but hopefully that is just the salt.

Thank you Mark, onto June.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Mark's Replies for May 28 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri May 28, 2021 1:25 pm

PonysPlants - It definitely sounds like you made informed decisions and acted with the benefit of experience from all your cumulative efforts during that family visit, Naomi! As you observe, that is a significant change from how you might have proceeded in the past. :thumbsup: I can totally relate to the difficulties and disconnect surrounding socializing, celebrations, and their connection to food. Might some exotics fruits or other healthy favorites help bridge that gap between your guests preferences and your own preferred pattern of behavior? Jeff's burgers have been very well received by my relatives. Could be a way to add some festive flair. Enjoy the company, have fun, and make your own luck! :D

Kappagator_96 - As you describe, it has certainly been my experience that some medications can have an effect on one's appetite; glad you are feeling back to normal now. Focusing on closely adhering to the guidelines and waiting the full week before weighing seems like a really valuable experiment; excellent idea to keep your attention focused on behavior! Kudos for continuing to challenge yourself with exercise.

RacingSnake108 - Cheers to you for jumping right back in and getting started this week! Now just concentrate on turning those NOs into YESes. :) Keep in mind that a sprinkle of salt on the surface of one's food is acceptable, even for MWL.
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
JeffN wrote:Salt, Sugar
We are not a SOS free program. We only ask you to reduce the amount to a true condiment, and to just sprinkle it on your food at the table. You don't have to eliminate them if they are not a problem for you. Understand that for many people, the real issue is not sugar (or salt) per see, but how they are consumed and with what company. Most sugar is consumed as liquid calories (sugar sweetened beverages, sports and energy drinks) or as part of ultra processed highly palatable food (donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc.) Same with salt. Most all the salt we consume is in the form of ultra processed foods.
Most people find that when the eliminate the sugar filled liquid calories and the ultra processed foods that are high in sugar, salt and are also high in fat and calorie density, they can use salt and/or sugar as a condiment without a problem

frowsyowl - WOW! With that big result, your steadily improving efforts throughout May seem to be paying off, Jennifer! Great work hitting your goal of 90%, now onward to 95+! :D

HoustonJason - A big congratulations on breaking free of the 200s! As you observe, trusting the process and focusing on implementing the recommended behaviors ultimately yields promising results. :nod: Always fun to receive those compliments, right? Keep at it!

Rebecka22 - Down 1.8 pounds during a travel week! Awesome! I can see why you were feeling proud, it appears you put in the work to be well-prepared on this trip, and stuck with that intention in spite of some challenges and disappointment. That deserves a great big THUMBS-UP! :thumbsup:

bunsofaluminum - Focusing on eliminating the higher calorie-dense foods seems like a fruitful path to pursue in the days ahead. :nod: Just to put things in perspective, tortilla chips are generally about ~2200 calories / pound, those rice crackers are very likely ~1800 calories / pound, vs. brown rice at ~558 calories / pound; eliminating those, and the other calorie rich foods will make a difference.

Drew* - Cheers to you for not procrastinating, and deciding that TODAY was the day to get started! Let the MWL 10-Point Checklist be your guide, do the best you can, and aim for doing better each day. Transitioning back toward the recommended pattern of behavior nearly always involves a battle with the Pleasure Trap, so be prepared for that; if cravings start to rear their head, know that they will pass with time, and concentrate on eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion, whenever you feel hungry. That "ways to go" can get shorter with each day of thoughtful effort. :)

Ruff - Looks like a great week, Katie! So sorry to hear you are dealing with such troublesome cramps. I'm not qualified to offer medical advice (nor would it be appropriate to do so in this forum). Keep in mind that it is not necessary to completely eliminate salt for MWL.
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
JeffN wrote:Salt, Sugar
We are not a SOS free program. We only ask you to reduce the amount to a true condiment, and to just sprinkle it on your food at the table. You don't have to eliminate them if they are not a problem for you. Understand that for many people, the real issue is not sugar (or salt) per see, but how they are consumed and with what company. Most sugar is consumed as liquid calories (sugar sweetened beverages, sports and energy drinks) or as part of ultra processed highly palatable food (donuts, cupcakes, brownies, etc.) Same with salt. Most all the salt we consume is in the form of ultra processed foods.
Most people find that when the eliminate the sugar filled liquid calories and the ultra processed foods that are high in sugar, salt and are also high in fat and calorie density, they can use salt and/or sugar as a condiment without a problem
Have you consulted your personal physician regarding this issue?
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.1 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.most of the time but not always
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).no
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).no
6. Eliminate any added oil.yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.no
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).not daily but walked 5/7 days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I am still a little off track but at least there are more "yeses" this week . ;-) I have continued with my daily lunch salads and morning oatmeal. These are not problem for me. I have baked some sweet potatoes also and just had one after my salad. Having fewer choices really helps me but I still like something different once in a while to keep boredom away.

My doctor was pleased that my weight was down 10 pounds from my last visit. I smiled and agreed while thinking that I wish it would have been more. He then said he wished his other patients could do what I have done for my health. I then thought that even though I wanted more from myself, I certainly am more healthy than I was and I eat healthier than I used to with WAY more greens and other veggies. So that is a win. :nod: We then went on to discuss signs and symptoms of too low of a blood pressure. I am already on the lowest dose of BP med and he knows I want to get off it. I believe that he is thinking that if I continue to lose weight, that I can get off this last pill. That was encouraging to me ! I really want to do this and in order to accomplish that I need to do THIS (MWL) ! I gotta keep eating those greens and beans. :D

Thank you, as always, Mark ! Onward to June !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby cmcavazos » Fri May 28, 2021 3:13 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: - .6# loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories: Lots of food temptation at work this week, but I was able to not take that first bite. -- I was able to fit in exercises daily this week.
Comments: My "no" for #7 was some toast made with homemade bread which was baked by a friend & shared over breakfast. #5 "no" was some soy plant milk creamer in my coffee.
Questions: None this week
cmcavazos

Postby JeffN » Fri May 28, 2021 3:39 pm

just recently posted in someones journal on this site. 2 tweeks. Didn’t work. Stick with what we have proven to work from almost 40 years of experience and running programs.

“I don't know what I was thinking eating twice a day, it didn't last. I also didn't do well with eating lots of veg since it would crowd out my stomach so I wouldn't eat enough starch, and then get really hungry.”

Jeff
JeffN

Postby msubramanian » Fri May 28, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi, sorry if this doesn't belong in this group, I just couldn't see where else to ask this question. Is there a June 2021 group forming and if so, how do I sign up? I just read MWL and am interested in joining a weigh-in group. Thanks!!
msubramanian

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 29, 2021 3:29 am

msubramanian wrote:Hi, sorry if this doesn't belong in this group, I just couldn't see where else to ask this question. Is there a June 2021 group forming and if so, how do I sign up? I just read MWL and am interested in joining a weigh-in group. Thanks!!

Hi! The June MWL Group thread will be posted on Tuesday, June 1. To join, just review all the Orientation materials, and follow the instructions (quoted below). :)
If you feel you can benefit from this group and would like to join, thoroughly review the orientation information above, including the MWL Guidelines, MWL 10-Point Checklist, and Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer. After completing your review of the orientation materials, please post in the MWL Weigh-In Group thread for the current month (usually posted near the beginning of each month) introducing yourself and stating that you have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group. After submitting that post, you will officially be a participant in the group and needn't wait for any further confirmation. Please remember, there is nothing magical that happens when you join this group and your name is added to the list. Jeff, wildgoose and I can offer accountability and support in terms of understanding and implementing the MWL guidelines, and your fellow participants provide a feeling of community; but, it is up to you to actually make these changes in your daily life. All the forum posts in the world won't have an effect on the outcomes we seek, without lasting changes in our daily pattern of behavior. Don't obsess over the minutiae; rather, direct your energy toward doing an excellent job at the fundamental principles. I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it.
See you in June!
Mark Cooper

Postby chef16 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:28 am

05/14/2021 223#
05/29/2021 226#
+3#
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.50%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.50%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.85%
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).100%
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).50%
6. Eliminate any added oil.95%
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.50%
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).95%
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.100%
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).50%

Sorry I miss last week . I would like to say I was on vacation , but it has not been any fun . I don't feel that I want to go on about it. I find myself in a spot that I have never been before . I have not been eating animal products ,fried foods or drinking soda but I haven't been sticking to it like I would like. I am planning to go on to Junes group, issues and all. Hopefully I will be able to get through this without loosing all my gains .
Doreen
chef16

Postby Zoey » Sat May 29, 2021 7:48 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: - .4

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D :D

The reason #10 got two big grins is because I've just been bursting with energy this past week. My walking distance has doubled and turned into a jog. I used to almost consider myself a runner before a knee injury brought me back to reality many years ago, then foot surgery on top of that because I guess I hadn't been humbled enough?
Anyway, I'm just so happy with the lightness I'm feeling. Next goal - actually seeing it. ;-)
I've had a very easy week with the food and drink. Crackers, pretzels, and wine are in the house, yet they haven't been calling to me at all.
I think in my case, it's the increased activity that's responsible. These things are great temptations for sedentary Zoey. But the way those things make me feel on a long 'run' versus the way I feel when I'm plant fueled and hydrated... well, it's absolutely night and day.
So yeah, I'm just plain giddy this week!
Now I'm going to go back and read everyone's victories and challenges. Thanks to all of you for sharing, because it's so helpful and so inspiring.
Mark, as always, thank you for your thoughtful responses to all of us. Your kindness shines through my screen. 8)
Zoey

Postby CindyD » Sat May 29, 2021 9:27 am

Weight: 142.2
RESULT +0.2

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO, tofu
6. Eliminate any added oil.[ b]YES[/b]
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO, flour tortilla
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES

This will be my last MWL weigh-in, for now. I hit about 144 at the beginning of March, and it's just been the same 3-4 lbs up and down (140-144) through March, April and May. My BMI is about 21.3 and I owe it all to the Starch Solution and the MWL plan! I can't thank you enough Mark, Jeff N and everyone else for all the inspiring and sometimes difficult stories.

I have started with a strength trainer. I was hoping to find a vegan trainer, but this one has a degree in nutrition and other plant-based clients. He has suggested I get a bit more protein in addition to the beans and other plant protein I am already getting, so I am going to add a small amount of tofu each day and see how that goes as an experiment for a month.

I hope everyone has an excellent June, and thank you again to the kind and dedicated people who continue to contribute their time to helping us all. :)
CindyD

Postby texaslil » Sat May 29, 2021 12:02 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil.YES, except popcorn w/ oil but just a few handfuls... ;-)
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES, except the popcorn
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 5/7

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I did much better last week, and was not tempted by my usual vices of avocado and tofu. I also rejoined my yoga classes since I am now fully vaccinated and feel more comfortable being in a class setting. Also trying to incorporate walking to the studio instead of driving, which is about 2 miles. I'm so excited for summer to be here and enjoy all of the ripe fruits and veggies. June 1st marks my one year anniversary of being wfpb oil free! Although, I didn't lose all of the weight I had hoped, I am at least half way there which is an accomplishment in and of itself! I'm looking forward to a joyful summer!
texaslil

Postby Noella » Sat May 29, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi Mark,

+/- 0 pounds —155 No weight loss but a non scale victory is that my waist is definitely smaller. :)

I followed the MWL principles easily this week. Our fridge, freezer and pantry are really working to support my efforts with MWL and my husband is more on board than ever. He has always been healthy and strong but now his strength and energy are AMAZING.
1. :) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. :) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. :) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. :) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. :) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. :) Eliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. :) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. :) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
10. :) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

I REALLY appreciated reading and thinking about Jeff’s post several times this week:.
JeffN wrote:...If you are hungry, eat. We do not recommend skipping meals, fasting, going hungry or eating only vegetables (or fruit) at a meal. We do not recommend intermittent fasting but eating when hungry.
When you eat, make sure your choices always include a minimally processed starch. This is 100% true for MWL too. The starch should be about 50% of the volume of the food you eat. Do not wait an hour to eat the starch after the vegetables.
Just reaching for vegetables, salads or fruit is not going to do it in the long run and you will most likely end up overeating later in the day, or week. This is because the satiety from vegetables, salad and fruit is not the same or as long lasting as the satiety from starch and can set you up to overeat/binge later. This may happen within the day or it may happen after several days. Then you end up wondering why you are eating salads and vegetables and not losing weight and often think, I just need to eat “more” salad, veggies or fruit. To break the cycle, always eat starch with your veggies and/or fruits...

Based on Jeff’s suggestions I want my snacks to be just like meals and include starch and veggies in a 50/50 balance on my plate and preload with soup, salad or fruit. I know that more emphasis on including starch every time I eat will help.

I appreciate all of the info and stories shared with this wonderful support group and I’m looking forward to being with you all in June.

Best regards everyone,
Noella
Noella

Reporting for May 28 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 29, 2021 1:03 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for May 28 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 29, 2021 1:03 pm

squealcat - Making positive changes in behavior is the name of the game, and those YESes indicate where you have made progress! Congratulations on that positive feedback from your doctor, Marilyn; I imagine that was gratifying. You know what to do to accomplish your goals - continue to practice the recommended pattern of behavior, moving toward closer adherence where the opportunity is present. Onward!

cmcavazos - Kudos to you, Christine, for deciding NOT to take that "first bite" of troublesome, tempting foods! :thumbsup: Keep doing the best you can, aiming for continuing improvement where you have the chance.

chef16 - Not giving up in spite of any "issues" seems like a fundamental step toward any lasting change, so cheers for sticking with the program for June. Would it help at all to spend some time really thinking about what your goals are, why they matter to you, and what your life might look like when they are accomplished? Might that help you rediscover your motivation? Something that always helps me, as well, is to pick some simple, concrete thing I can do to make daily adherence more attainable, e.g. food prep, removing troublesome foods from my environment, planning out adherent meals for the week, &c. This recent "vacation" from the pattern you would like to achieve need not be a permanent one; you can turn things around with some conscious effort. :nod:

Zoey - 11 BIG GRINS! :D Awesome! Feeling great is a pretty powerful reason to stick with this way of eating, right? Enjoy that giddy feeling, keep trusting and attending to the process, and build upon your victories! :thumbsup:

CindyD - Congratulations for hitting that BMI marker, and for your many successes during these months with the group! Here is a collection of links to Jeff's posts on building muscle, protein, amino acids, and exercise; further down in that same thread is a post with some general thoughts from Jeff on the subject of changing body composition. I wish you all the best; you also might consider checking out the Maintenance Group, if you like.

texaslil - That is some big progress in adherence this week, Laila; hooray for your upcoming 1 year McDougall anniversary! Being half way to your goal is definitely an accomplishment, and you can traverse the remaining half with continued improvement, attention and effort. The recommended behaviors will lead you on your way. I'm super excited for all the seasonal fruits and veggies, too! Our first CSA box of the season arrived yesterday, including lovely, ripe strawberries. Here's to a joyful summer! 8)

Noella - A smaller waistline must be a very satisfying non-scale victory! Hooray for you, your husband, and the wonderful results you have achieved! :D Putting the recommendations from Jeff's post into action seems like an excellent way to continue your progress. :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program