June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:28 am

June 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Struggling to Achieve Results? Here are 9 Reasons Why
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: June 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 am

Welcome and happy June!

Let's start this month by reflecting upon where we each stand with respect to our most important goals, both in regard to how far we have come, and how far we have left to go. Now think about how much nearer we might be to what we are trying to achieve after a FULL MONTH of close adherence to the MWL 10-Point Checklist. Plan, prepare, take it one day at a time, and imagine the transformation after 30 of those days. What might you be willing to do to make that a reality?

Let's make the most of this beautiful opportunity to change our behavior (and our lives :) ) for the better!
Mark Cooper

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Count me in! I'm seeing some droppage on the scale, since ditching the rice crackers! Yay I'll see some weightloss in June!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby RacingSnake108 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:54 pm

First weigh-in

Start weight 156.7
Current weight 151.9 ( -4.8 )

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NO. And there is a reason for this. I find I just overeat when I do this. Simply following 50/50 plate works. However whenever I feel like snacking while I prep food I do choose very low caloric density food like raw non-starchy veg

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES. This is a big reason I have had such a big drop on the scale. It's definitely a lot of water weight, but I'm happy about that as the bloating and inflammation is both unflattering and uncomfortable

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). ALWAYS

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES apart from my occasional brazil nut for selenium

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES
RacingSnake108

Postby PonysPlants » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:14 am

Gained 1.2 lbs this week.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NO
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. NO
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES Easy. Vegan for life

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. NO.

Lots of nos and a completely unsurprising weight gain to show for it. Having family here all week was really hard. As we haven’t been able to eat out for months here in the UK having that freedom back meant that everyone wanted to take advantage and I ate out 5 times this week. I tried as best as I could to stick to compliant foods but this wasn’t always possible, although I was fully my intention. We’ve basically been on lockdown here since before Christmas so no one really wanted to stay in the house to eat, including myself.

Back on track now. Also, I get a bit funny about aiming for perfection sometimes and I’m not going to let a gain sour a really lovely week.

Thanks to Mark and all of the moderators. You’re the best!

Onwards!

Naomi
PonysPlants

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:22 am

Weight Change: -0.8

91% compliance

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 6/7
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. 6/7
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. 7/7
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 6/7
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados,) 7/7
6. Eliminate any added oil. 6/7
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 6/7
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 7/7
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 7/7
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily. 6/7

I improved on the number of days that I ate calorie dense foods, but replaced some of my 7s with 6s, so it was a wash for overall compliance. Happy with the loss, it didn't look like I would have one at all. Really had to coach myself not to care about the scale this week and remind myself of my commitment to just follow through.

Today is our 10 year wedding anniversary, and I have found a place to eat where I don't have to make exceptions. This is a significant change for me. We don't go out a lot, but in the past I have been on a good groove, and then let a family celebration pull me off course...sometimes to not get back on track at all. Celebrating with a baked potato and a house salad with chickpeas--I was amazed to find such a thing on the menu.

Thanks for this group!
frowsyowl

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:42 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -4 I am under 220 today! woo hoo!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. mostly
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). peanut butter spoon one evening. Also, a palmful of pistachios one day
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. yesyesyesyesyes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: So, ditching the rice crackers was the key for moving the scale downward again! Because they are zero fat, I was snacking on them...and evidently whatever other thing about them: calorie density, sodium? made it NOT a healthy choice.
I'm tickled to be below 220 and eager to see if I drop more this upcoming week!
Loving my walks. LOVE LOVE LOVE that my feet mostly don't hurt...and if there is some pain, walking usually reduces it, go figure.
Using salads as my front-load for now. I'll make soup tomorrow morning, before the summer heat beats down. It's still the easiest, and much more enjoyable for me to eat than salads. Although I am loving the baby greens blend, because ARUGULA yum! Too bad there is no salad dressing besides ranch or bleu cheese that I like.
Looking forward to a weight loss extravaganza! :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:08 am

158.4 Weight change +/- in lbs: +1
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I had a hard day this week where I just wasn’t successful at staying away from sweets. I also drank a Diet Pepsi which isn’t calories, but I know it’s not healthy either. I did want a lot more than I had and I didn’t carry it onto the next day, so I guess I’ll take my small victories and keep working to move forward. All the no’s were because I ate dessert the one time
Rebecka22

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:55 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +3.8 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I am back from my road trip/family wedding and so I have a lot of thumbs down on my checklist. I have learned a lot over the past year from this group, but I still have a lot to learn when it comes to eating away from home and at family gatherings. I did take a lot of food with me and they had vegan options to eat at the wedding, but even vegan dishes aren't very healthy when examined under the checklist guidelines. It was a beautiful trip and I had a good time. Now I must get back to work on the MWL checklist and exercising daily. Hopefully next week will bring a better report!
GreenFroG

Postby cmcavazos » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:10 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -.6# loss

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories: Another small loss, but it adds up (eventually) and I'm still hanging in there week to week.
Comments: The NO was some pumpkin seeds and cranraisins on oatmeal.
Questions: None.

Thanks so much. I'll be checking in next week.
cmcavazos

Postby Trish88 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:19 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I have been following a plant-based diet for several years, but it hasn't been the healthiest. Lots of junk food, processed food, etc. It's made me very fat, and I'm really disgusted with myself. Rather than just keep doing what I've been doing, I've made the decision to follow Dr. McDougall's plan for maximum weight loss. I've printed off the 10-Point Checklist, and I'm doing it. Today is my first day. I haven't weighed myself yet, but the last time I got on the scale I was 280 lbs. At 5'5" tall, that is well into the obese range.

I look forward to participating. I'll weigh myself tomorrow morning, and I'll post my first weigh-in next week.

I have one question - For fruit, are bananas okay? Or should I avoid them?

Cheers,
Trish
:)

This is what I commit to:
Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Follow the 50/50 plate method for meals, filling half of plate with non-starchy vegetables and 50% with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too.
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Eliminate any added oil.
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Trish88

Postby HoustonJason » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:29 am

From Houston Jason

May 28 = 199
June 4 = 199

Weight change +/- in lbs: no change

Total = - 53 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. No, most of the time.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No, Most of the time.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No, I have a little unsweetened almond milk in my coffee and oatmeal.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I jumped on the rebounder 5 out of 7 days with small hand weights. I’m doing sit-ups and push-ups as well. I did quite a bit of gardening this week. I’m sore in the mornings, but it’s a good soreness.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: This week I went to the dentist for my twice a year cleaning and surprised my hygienist with my transformation. She couldn’t believe how much my look has changed since my last cleaning in December. Thanks as always for this forum and your feedback!

Original Weight = 252 on January 1, 2021 Jan. 8 = 244 Jan. 15 = 237 Jan. 22 = 234 Jan. 29 = 231 February 5 = 226 Feb. 12 = 225 Feb. 19 = 221 Feb. 26 = 219 March 5 = 218 March 12 = 212 March 19 = 210 March 26 = 210 April 2 = 209 April 9 = 207 Apr 16 = 207 Apr 23 = 206 Apr 30 = 206 May 7 = 202 May 14 = 202 May 21 = 202 May 28 = 199 June 4 = 199
HoustonJason

Mark's Replies for June 4 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi, Everyone! Tomorrow, I'll be celebrating my daughter's eighth birthday with a party in the park, so my second round of replies and the weekly summary may post later than usual. Best to all!

RacingSnake108 - Wow! That big drop on the scale demonstrates a significant change in your pattern of behavior! Keep it up. Jeff discusses some concerns regarding Selenium and Brazil nuts in this post.

PonysPlants - Getting back on track and sticking with it is what ultimately matters over the duration, right? Cheers for not letting some imperfection overpower your view of the week; don't beat yourself up, just take a moment to calmly reflect on your experiences over the course of those days, with an eye toward useful lessons, observations, and information that can shape and inform future situations. Being in it for the long haul, Naomi, you will continue to get better and better at this over time. Onward!

frowsyowl - Kudos to you, Jennifer; I think keeping the scale in the proper perspective, and focusing energy on following through with the recommended behaviors is especially important when it feels most difficult! Congratulations on your anniversary, and enjoy your "no exceptions" celebration. :thumbsup:

bunsofaluminum - Woo-hoo! Always nice to have such a concrete result to demonstrate the effectiveness of the recommendations, right? I'm so happy your feet are feeling better. Do you thinks this "ranch"-flavored adaptation of Jeff's favorite dressing might suit your taste? Here's to 220 and heading downward! :D

Rebecka22 - Not letting that one dessert "spillover" and detract from the rest of your week is definitely a victory worth acknowledging. :nod: Was there a particular context that made adherence feel especially hard on that day? Anything you might be able to plan for or manage differently to make things easier in the future?

GreenFroG - You are so right about vegan dishes not necessarily being very supportive of health; here is an especially egregious example. :eek: Sounds like you had fun and enjoyed seeing loved ones, in spite of some difficulties with the food. Your observation about having "a lot to learn when it comes to eating away from home" made me think about my own experiences - it took me A LOT of tries and practice with many missteps along the way, before I finally felt completely confident that I could stay adherent while travelling and vacationing. Mastering all the "ins-and-outs" of this WOE is not quick or easy, but we get there with time and perseverance. :nod:

cmcavazos - Right you are, Christine! Those modest losses do indeed add up - you are down over 10 lbs this year, if I'm not mistaken. Were the dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds just something you decided to add, or did they result from some particular situation or development? Keep aiming for the recommendations! :D

Trish88 - Hi and welcome! Today is a great first day to get started with MWL! :D Be sure to review the Orientation information, if you haven't already. Commitment to the recommended behaviors will serve you well. It isn't necessary to avoid bananas, but compared to many fruits, they are somewhat more calorie dense (~404 calories / lb). If you enjoy bananas, by all means include them, along with the other recommended foods; focus on eating the recommended foods in the recommended fashion (including a starch), as outlined in the MWL 10-Point Checklist, whenever you feel hungry until comfortably full.
JeffN wrote:If you are hungry, eat. We do not recommend skipping meals, fasting, going hungry or eating only vegetables (or fruit) at a meal. We do not recommend intermittent fasting but eating when hungry.

When you eat, make sure your choices always include a minimally processed starch. This is 100% true for MWL too. The starch should be about 50% of the volume of the food you eat. Do not wait an hour to eat the starch after the vegetables.

Just reaching for vegetables, salads or fruit is not going to do it in the long run and you will most likely end up overeating later in the day, or week. This is because the satiety from vegetables, salad and fruit is not the same or as long lasting as the satiety from starch and can set you up to overeat/binge later. This may happen within the day or it may happen after several days. Then you end up wondering why you are eating salads and vegetables and not losing weight and often think, I just need to eat “more” salad, veggies or fruit. To break the cycle, always eat starch with your veggies and/or fruits.

We do not recommend you portion control your food or trying to count calories. Doing so, is not part of the MWL guidelines.

HoustonJason - Great work keeping active and enjoy that "good soreness!" How fun to interact with someone who saw the full effect of your efforts since December all at once. Keep striving to maintain the YESes and chip away at the NOs. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:41 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: Last week: 191.1, this week: 186.7 so that is a loss of 4.4 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :( not always
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :( not always
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :( had sm amt of raisins once
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D Not every day but 3 miles five days this week which is fine with me

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I finally was able to turn it around this week after a couple of months struggling. If anything, I hope others will learn not to get discouraged and quit when the scale and behaviors don't go the way they want. I had to keep tweaking things, listening to podcasts and making notes to myself for encouragement.

A lot of that weight loss is water loss I am sure but I hope some is actual fat loss. I also started noticing how I felt after eating certain foods and I see now how some foods make me feel energized while others take my energy away. I want that energy !! :nod:

Happy June to everyone ! Mark, enjoy your daughter's birthday party !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby carwex » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:22 am

Starting weight: 141.5
2 weks ago weight: 126.9
Current weight: 129.8
Loss/gain this week: +3 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup or salad. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method, ½ starch and ½ vegetables. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and salts. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods. Added tastes of meat or fish
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods. Use miso as seasoning and tofu in miso soup/a little almond milk in porridge and tea.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods. Had a dessert
8. Don’t drink your calories. Drink only water and tea with a little almond milk
9. Follow these principles whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary. Did a lot of walking and some swimming this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: A few weeks ago I could not eat because of vertigo and lost 4 pounds. The last 2 weeks I revived and got my appetite back and between extra adherent foods, non-compliant foods as well as larger amounts of starch, I gained 3 pounds back. But not a total gain, still came away with 1 pound net loss. I continue to work on it and hope that I can return to more consistent, adherent habits. Today was my bookclub plus Teatime which is always problematic. It went well today. Thank you for your feedback and for providing a place for me to check in on my eating and get much appreciated feedback.
Carol
carwex

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program