PreLoad Soup Recipes

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

PreLoad Soup Recipes

Postby veggiemelt » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:09 pm

I'm making the switch from SS to MWL, and I could use some help with good non starchy preload soup ideas. What are your favorites?
I'm Jennifer! Down 45 pounds - More to go! Attended the Feb '21 12 Day Course.
veggiemelt

Re: PreLoad Soup Recipes

Postby JeffN » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:13 pm

JeffN

Postby veggiemelt » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks! I can mix and match that. I wish somebody made oil free sesame oil! I used to love this one from a Chinese restaurant that had water chestnuts, snow peas, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms. But I just can't get the flavor right. Maybe if I rub a little under my nose, I'll smell it and it will fool my tastebuds. :lol:
veggiemelt

Postby Angelea » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:15 pm

I've been crushing on this one:

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... able-soup/

Just use the veggies of your choice. The magic is in the lemon and basil. YUM.

Angelea
Angelea

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread, Veggiemelt!! And, big congrats on your progress!!! :-D

I have been eating mostly salad and fruit for preload, but loving to expand to soup!!!

Thanks, Jeff for posting the Longevity soup template!! Will be using that!!!

Angelea, going to try recipe that you posted... Have some butternut squash in fridge that I'll throw in the pot and going to Farmers Market in search of basil!!

I am currently experimenting with Gazpacho recipes (many McD recipes in books and others on this Board you can search for).
Yesterday I made batch 2 which was: 2 c. low sodium V-8, 5 tomatoes on the vine, 1 large peeled cucumber, about a cup of celery, 1 large jalapeno (with seeds for heat), about a cup of chopped red onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 T. balsamic vinegar, 1 T. worcestshire sauce -- I blend this ... it is pretty yummy and refreshing for summer.

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby veggiemelt » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:11 am

Thanks Angelea, that looks really good! Would I need to leave out corn if I was only using this as a preload?

Stephanie, that looks really good - kinda like a bloody mary! I have never made gazpacho, but looks like I need to try it now while it's hot.
veggiemelt

Postby curcubit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:20 am

I make this soup once a week. Especially now the weather is damp and cold and raw lettuce not as appealing as in summer.

This reminds me of mulligatawny soup:
One onion chopped
2 tsp mustard seed
2 -3 tsp curry powder
2 tsp garlic powder
One apple chopped
One large carrot, sliced
One zucchini or yellow squash chopped
8 cups water
One large head romaine or butter lettuce

Basically simmer everything but the lettuce till soft. Puree that with an immersion blender, add the roughly chopped lettuce. Let it wilt and puree again. Adjust seasonings, garnish with fresh cilantro. 4-6 servings. Sometimes I add fresh ginger, tomatoes, lemon juice. Play around with the flavors.
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program