September 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: September 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby cmcavazos2 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -.2#

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories: None this week
Comments: My "No's" were related to sharing a dessert with friends. The "just have a little" encouragement from friends was just enough to let down my guard. The sweetness of the dessert left me with cravings and later at home I ate some bread since I don't keep sweets in the house. Yes, I fell into the Pleasure Trap. I didn't compulsively continue to eat a large amount, but it messed up my eating plan for the day. And it certainly put me in a bad mood for letting the temptation get to me!
Questions: None

I apologize for the late hour for posting, but I did not have Internet access earlier today.

I'll be checking in next week.

It's good to see others on the posts doing well...
cmcavazos2

Postby Noella » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:53 am

Weight Change: - 0.2
Current weight: 151.3
Starting Weight: 240 lbs
Goal Weight: 140 lbs.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes.
2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.
3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes.
4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes.
5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes.
6.Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.Yes.
8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.
9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.Yes.
10. Exercise daily for thirty minutes (brisk walking). Yes.

Victories: I’m feeling SO motivated to strictly follow MWL! The MWL habits are steadily becoming my ‘normal’ way of approaching nutrition. My knees have been pain free since June! I’m starting to do some therapeutic exercise for my knees. I found these on the Canadian McMaster University Portal for Optimal Aging. (https://www.mcmasteroptimalaging.org/)a source of evidenced-based info with links to research in many categories.

Challenges: We are going to stay with our youngest daughter and her family for the next couple of days, then on Wednesday they are coming to stay with us for five days. It will be fun to have our grand babies here but it’s such a huge challenge food-wise with the adult meals that I’m getting pretty anxious and tense about it. Thinking and planning about how to best navigate the mealtimes helps, though, and especially if I take the time to actually make a list of meals for each day…planning! That helps me much more. I will take some cooked Japanese sweet potatoes along to add some starch to my meals and avoid getting hungry. It’s easy to cook steel cut oat porridge at my daughter’s house each day. I’ll also take some veggies that don’t need refrigeration to snack on. I’m not willing to eat off-plan for MWL just to be polite but sometimes it’s so hard to figure out how to be gracious and thoughtful of others and not draw any attention to myself when we are guests at someone else’s house. It will be much easier when they come visit us later in the week, except for I need to integrate my new ways of eating with some garnishes of standard fare to ensure that they are comfortable coming ‘home’ for a little holiday.

I hope everyone is doing well this week and that next week is awesome for each and every one of you.
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Noella

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:06 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +1.40

9/10/2021 125.6
9/17/2021 127

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns,questions:
+1.4 lbs this week. Directly related to eating flour based items on checklist #7. I’ve really kept a close watch on which foods I eat. My food choices have far more of a direct influence on the scale than eating far more of the foods that are compliant if I’m going to “push the envelope”. Accountability here helps. I know what I have to do to keep the scale from continuing in the wrong direction before I feel out of control. Happy first day of fall this week everyone!
Gimmelean

Postby Health 1st » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:11 am

Hello Mark + everyone!

I was going to do the checklist for this week, but the more I thought of it, it doesn't really make a lot of sense as I can unfortunately honestly say that the last week + a half, I have not focused on any of the points except for #10, + #10 (slow walking) has been just for movement + enjoyment, no thoughts of it helping me lose weight.

I have not been on track at all + really am starting from ground zero again. So please put me down as a 0, like a new member.

Thank you!
Health 1st

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:06 am

Hi Team MWL,

Hope that everyone is having a great week!! :cool:

Thank you to Chris and Mark Cooper for supportive comments last week! Much appreciated - and put a smile on my face.

I am still a bit under the weather, but feeling more and more human each day.

Weight change - 1.6 lbs. Loss
Current weight - 133.2 lbs.
Last Week weight - 134.8 lbs.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Not frequently. I will focus more here over the next week.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
Not 100%, but better than the prior week. I have started to make sure that I am 100% with this item. Without focus, I tend to eat heavier on the starch.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Better than last week. However, as I am recovering still used more convenience soup (like McD cups) than I would normally do. Also, had fruit preserves one time.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6 Eliminate any added oil. Yes! I do not add oil and only have this if eating out.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Better than last week. I did have whole wheat toast for two meals. I don't expect it to be difficult to remove the toast from regular meals - was just a "feeling sick" indulgence..

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes. I ate when hungry and didn't stuff.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
No. I haven't gotten back to exercise yet. I am going to start today, but may be taking 10-15 minute walks. Will see how it goes. Sometime soon will get back to my goal of at least 10K steps / day.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Appreciate being part of this group. I like the "practicing" of getting back on track after being imperfect in a supportive environment. This really helps me feel confident about long-term compliance because reality is not 100% perfect. I am glad to share this journey with others!

This weekend I have picked up groceries and prepped some food for the week.
* Cut up 3 melons - cantaloupe, honeydew, mini watermelon.
* Batch cooked brown rice and frozen in individual servings.
* Stocked up on greens - including a couple of heads of a locally grown hydroponic lettuce - Gotham Greens - which are delicious!
* Slow cooking a pot of pinto beans which will be smashed.
* Cut up 2 lbs. of radishes (love them...)
* Batch cooked a double recipe of Jeff Basic Bean burgers. I keep tweaking this template and it gets better each time. This time I used: 2 cans kidney beans, 1 c. dry old fashioned oats, 1 c. brown rice, 2 small chopped jalapenos, 1 small chopped red onion, 1/2 chopped bell pepper, 4 T. salsa, several dashes of hot sauce. It's a keeper!!! I make these with George Foreman grill and it is super simple and they come out great.

Hope that everyone has a great weekend! Happy McD'ing!

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby texaslil » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:45 am

-1 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO, unfortunately, I did eat out one meal which had oil :roll:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES,

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Hope everyone is doing well this week. I had a mostly good week, but did slip unfortunately when I went out to eat with my mom after a museum visit. Everything else was 100% compliant. I have been enjoying increasing my veggie intake before my meals and I feel so much better afterwards, less 'heavy' than before.

I will keep working towards 100% adherence this week. I don't have any outings planned so I think it will be easier since I'll be cooking from home.

Laila
texaslil

Reporting for September 17 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:00 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for September 17 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:09 pm

cmcavazos2 - Hang in there, and give yourself some compassion, Christine. :) Social situations, like the one you described, can be quite challenging to navigate. I do think that these incidents when we stumble into the Pleasure Trap offer some important information; when we take note of these seemingly small deviations, how they can be harbingers of cravings, and the way that can disrupt our plans (and our best intentions), it can help to inform our future behavior. The vivid memory of all the hassles accompanying past indiscretions can serve to "convince" us that we might rather not stray after all, right? Learn what you can, put it behind you, and concentrate on making the "next right choice."

Noella - Woo-hoo! That motivation is helping you to sustain really consistent adherence! I definitely know how powerfully motivating relief from pain can be. Wishing you all the best with the physical therapy regimen. Enjoy the time with your family! Being a guest in someone else's home can certainly present some challenges to maintaining our routines. Something that has worked really well for me, in similar situations: I try to graciously explain how important maintaining my health-supporting habits is for managing my chronic pain (in my case, even seemingly minor deviations can trigger a significant flare in my condition). It's been my experience that, given this context, my loved ones are usually pretty generous in allowing me to "do my own thing" with respect to food, particularly if I can do it in such a way that there is minimal impact or burden placed on them. It's much like the way you want them to feel comfortable during their visit, too, right?

Gimmelean - I think you make a really good point:
Gimmelean wrote:My food choices have far more of a direct influence on the scale than eating far more of the foods that are compliant if I’m going to “push the envelope”.
That has been very much my experience, as well; it makes sense given the basic principles of calorie density, don't you think? Knowing the behaviors that need to be adjusted, and what you need to reclaim a feeling of control is half the challenge overcome. Having a plan and routine in place to ensure easy access to adherent food whenever hunger strikes can often seal the deal. Was there any particular context for eating the more calorie rich flour products this week? Any changes in the relevant factors?

Health 1st - I know starting over from the ground up often isn't an easy thing, with respect to both the actual effort involved, and the potential burden from self-recrimination. Take a moment to acknowledge that making these changes is hard, treat yourself with kindness, and concentrate on the things that you will do to enable yourself to return to the recommended pattern of behavior in the present. Given that self-assessment with the checklist is one of the specific requirements for the group, I'll exclude you from this week's compilation, so as to be fair to all the participants. If you are facing specific challenges in getting back on track, and you'd like some support, feel free to share that here - collectively, the group might have some useful thoughts to offer.

VegSeekingFit - I'm so happy to hear you are feeling "more human," Stephanie; I'm sure this period of illness hasn't been easy on you.
I like the "practicing" of getting back on track after being imperfect in a supportive environment. This really helps me feel confident about long-term compliance because reality is not 100% perfect.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. All that prep work is an excellent way to support you effort to maintain the recommended behaviors. Keep doing the best you can; I hope you'll be feeling fully "human" any day now! ;)

texaslil - Yes, pretty good week, Laila! Eating out is among the most common challenges, and it definitely takes practice. Chalk it up to experience, and think about anything you might do differently next time given Jeff's principles for Dining Out. Overall you are doing well, and it is great that you've been enjoying the behavior changes, and feeling better at mealtimes, too! Onward!
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - September 17, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for September 17 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for September 17 - Part 2

By my count, 8 participants reported for our third September 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the third Friday in September:

Week ending 9/17/2021: 8 participants reported a total change of -9.40 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Gimmelean +1.40
Total gains: +1.40
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
ComfyDiet 0.00
Cmcavazos2 -0.20
Noella -0.20
Rebecka22 -0.80
Texaslil -1.00
VegSeekingFit -1.60
Belana -7.00
Total losses: -10.80
Cumulative group loss for September 2021 to date: 26.60 pounds
Average loss for week ending September 17: 1.18 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2021: 64.95 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2021: 49.30 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, September 24, 2021.

That is another week put to rest! I applaud all your continuing efforts in practicing MWL! Keep at it, and use the group for support if you feel the need.

I had occasion to share this post earlier in the week, and I thought it was worth including with this summary. I feel like it is one of the more cogent things I've written discussing my point of view and our approach to practicing MWL.

My best to the whole group! Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby ComfyDiet » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Question… If I have a salad before my meal, does my plate still need to be 50/50 or does the salad give me some veggie credit?
ComfyDiet

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 pm

ComfyDiet wrote:Question… If I have a salad before my meal, does my plate still need to be 50/50 or does the salad give me some veggie credit?
Even accounting for the preload, we would still recommend you aim for a main course that includes an equal visual volume of starches and non starchy vegetables - stick with the 50/50 plate. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Health 1st » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:59 pm

ComfyDiet wrote:Question… If I have a salad before my meal, does my plate still need to be 50/50 or does the salad give me some veggie credit?

Hi ComfyDiet (I like your Username! :-D ),

Yes, the plate should still be 50/50 after having had your salad. This link may help: https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 50#p578020
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:14 pm

Thank you for your advice + encouragement, Mark! I apologize as I forgot that the checklist is a requirement---I'll be sure to fulfill this requirement for next week. :)

Thankfully, my recent successes are still helping me in that instead of mentally beating myself up (I did a little), my main focus has been on why + how I fell off the wagon to the extent I have. I plan to type out these realizations. Should I just post them in my journal or maybe here, too...in this month's Weigh-In thread or make a new subject under the MWL category? If someone can glean from my experiences, then that would help this fall from not being so much in vain. :-D

Even though I've kind of been M.I.A. the last 2 weeks, know that all your effort helps us so much, because without you + the Group, I do not think I would be feeling as hopeful as I do that my full return to healthy eating/MWL is imminent + that I will continue to keep heading in the right direction for the rest of my life. :nod:
Health 1st

Postby GreenFroG » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi,

I had trouble getting in yesterday to post, as I kept getting a message that I had logged in too many times. It would not let me log in unless I re-registered, which I did not want to do. Now, I seem to be logged in ok, but have missed the deadline. My apologies.

Weight Change: +2.8
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Since I was gone for two weeks for a family wedding/vacation, I am not sure how to post. Over the course, I gained 2.8 pounds and am now readjusting. All the thumbs down were from the trip. I was in rural areas/traveling and had to eat out most meals, so felt I could have gained a lot more. I tried to choose the healthiest meal on the menu each time and often chose side dishes to make my own meals. I also tried to go to the farmers markets when possible, buy fresh food and make my own meals; which wasn't often. This past week, I had family drop by to visit! I maintained, but did not loose.

Still learning how to navigate traveling, and was not as successful as I would have hoped. Looking forward to a normal week eating at home and a better report!
GreenFroG

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Health 1st - It's great that your focus has been on determining what factors contributed to this lapse; if you can solve those, you are less likely to fall into the same holes in the future. Your journal is a great place to capture and share those realizations, and your strategies for overcoming any obstacles. You can do it!

GreenFroG - Sorry to hear about the trouble logging in, but I'm happy you were able to get back on the board eventually. I think travel can be one of the most significant challenges to overcome; it definitely takes time, trial and error, and A LOT of effort, but you'll get it in the end if you just keep adjusting and improving your plans as you go. I'm sure it was enjoyable to get away, see family, and receive visitors yourself. Cheers for a nice, normal week ahead!
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program