October 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Weigh-In Report Compilation - October 29, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for October 29 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for October 29 - Part 2

By my count, 8 participants reported for our final October 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the final Friday in October:

Week ending 10/29/2021: 8 participants reported a total change of +3.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Noella +5.00
Total gains: +5.00
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
Beatrice Lavendar 0.00
Cmcavazos2 0.00
George Ohwell 0.00
Squealcat 0.00
VegSeekingFit 0.00
Rebecka22 -0.20
GreenFroG -1.20
Total losses: -1.40
Cumulative group loss for October 2021 to date: 7.10 pounds
Average change for week ending October 29: +0.45 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2021: 64.95 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2021: 49.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2021: 18.84 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 5, 2021, in the November MWL group thread.

My compliments to all participants for your dedicated efforts! This brings our October group to a close; now, on to November! I'll be posting the November MWL group thread on Monday, and I hope to see you there!

I know that, for many of us, Halloween can be the first of a whole series of seasonal celebrations that bring attendant, food-related challenges. If you feel like Halloween may be difficult to navigate, or you have some anxiety about remaining adherent, I would encourage you to take a little time and devise a "cope ahead" strategy. Consider the difficulties that you feel are most likely to arise, and make a plan for how you can address them. Don't forget to follow through on that plan by making any necessary preparations. Being successful with MWL during holiday events isn't always easy, but it can be managed with attention, focus and effort. Endeavor to make your actions congruent with your goals, and if you happen to stumble, treat yourself with compassion and get right back on track.

Best wishes to all for a safe, healthy, and happy week! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: October 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:33 pm

Noella wrote:
I truly am really shocked by the numbers on my scale this morning; I'm perplexed by these numbers, in fact. I was totally totally launched into analysis mode as soon as I stepped off of the scale. Before getting on the scale I felt slimmer than usual, my clothes feel loose

Hi Noella :) ,

I am sending you a big virtual hug from Illinois...

Mark (as always!) gave you some great advice and feedback.

I wanted to just say that your journey is so inspiring and transformational!!! Go back and read some of your posts on how much better that you feel and how your health has improved over your journey. You have rocked it!!! Or hit the ball out of the park!!!

Scale readings can be disappointing!! Even if this one was "correct", it doesn't negate in any way ALL that you have accomplished already. If you have truly an issue with one of the points, you can figure it out and adjust!!! This is so small compared to the big picture - you have conquered all of the "harder" parts already...

Maybe try to talk to yourself like you would talk to a family member or friend in a similar situation. Hard to detach from the numbers (I am no expert, I am just trying)... but.... any weekly weigh-in can either be an anomaly or offer an opportunity to review the guidelines and think where you may be able to do better.

I would wish you luck --- BUT --- I know that you can do it!!! Be well.

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby wildgoose » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Noella wrote: I truly am really shocked by the numbers on my scale this morning; I'm perplexed by these numbers, in fact. I was totally totally launched into analysis mode as soon as I stepped off of the scale. Before getting on the scale I felt slimmer than usual, my clothes feel loose...

Noella, I know 5 pounds is upsetting, but know that you did NOT gain 5 pounds of fat. You’d be hard pressed to gain 5 pounds of fat in a week, even with a total pig-out, and you didn’t do that.

I’m one of those people who can "gain" very easily, and I know what can cause a sudden uptick in the scale for me.
  • High sugar fruit. I’m OK eating more than a couple of servings of apples. But bananas or pineapple? There I have to be careful. And dried fruit? Big problem!
  • Dry food. Rice cakes are my particular downfall, but anything dry and crunchy will put weight on me. Very high in calorie density, so it’s no surprise.
  • Salt. Salt in food, salt on food. I’m very sensitive to salt (my blood pressure really reacts), but salt will cause water weight gain, too. The other thing about salt is that it makes food more palatable, so I eat more.
Your list might be similar (as you’ve pointed out — great analysis!), or you may have some other sneaky culprits involved. However, the weight you put on, particularly if it’s glycogen from added fruit sugars or water from added salt, will come off much more easily than the fat you’ve been working so diligently to lose. It’s not going to take a long time to get back to where you were.

Yes, you’re in kind of a mini Pleasure Trap. You stepped off the narrow high path into a very shallow ditch. So step right back onto the path. You haven’t done serious or permanent damage, even though your self-esteem is taking a bit of a beating. It’s shocking, dismaying, and disheartening. But it’s temporary, especially if you get right back on track. You’re not in denial. You did a good job of identifying what might have happened to upset the equilibrium. Now you get to do the experiment to see what will fix it.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:34 pm

Hello Mark I have been trying to log in since 9 am ET this morning. Only now was I able to log on without the error message that I logged in too many times. I wondered if I did something to be banned!

I realize it’s way too late for a response but wanted to post for my own accountability and the best week I’ve had in a month. Here goes-

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.6
10/22/2021. 127
10/29/2021. 125.4

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: my goal this week was to say yes to all 10 checkpoints and I’m pleased to reflect that I did. I feel great. I looked twice and asked myself if my scale was broken. Eliminating bread (doesn’t matter that it’s homemade) and having a big pot of Jeff’s longevity soup that the whole family loved was not hard and made the difference. That soup will be a staple in my household this entire winter and it’s easy to keep simple canned and frozen vegetables in the house at all times to make it in the Instant pot.
This year I plan to give out novelties for Halloween as I’m not buying candy. I absolutely do not want it in the house. Keeping the Pleasure Trap away will be my challenge this week for sure. I’m going to have to practice saying and meaning ,” No thank you” starting right now to my friends and family. When they inevitably say, “Just have one piece!”, I’m envisioning how I’m going to refuse.
Have a good week everyone. See you in November!
Gimmelean

Postby Noella » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:03 am

Thank you, Mark, Stephanie, and Wildgoose. I greatly appreciate your thoughtful and heartfelt encouragement and advice. Your words were just what I needed to read before going to sleep tonight. Thank you so much.
Noella
Noella

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:02 pm

Gimmelean - Kudos to you for an excellent week! :thumbsup: That login error message is apparently an ongoing problem; there is a thread discussing it here. Hopefully, it will be resolved over time. Great strategies for dealing with Halloween. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Postby Health 1st » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:37 pm

Hello, Mark + Everyone!

If it's okay, I'd like to resume participating this coming Friday. I was hoping to write a few days back so you could write me down as a 0. If it's too late for me to participate Friday, I understand.

Even though I've been away from the Group, I've still thought about + missed you all. Wishing everyone a great week! :)
Health 1st

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Health 1st wrote:Hello, Mark + Everyone!

If it's okay, I'd like to resume participating this coming Friday. I was hoping to write a few days back so you could write me down as a 0. If it's too late for me to participate Friday, I understand.

Even though I've been away from the Group, I've still thought about + missed you all. Wishing everyone a great week! :)

You are most welcome to participate. The November thread is now live. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Health 1st » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Health 1st wrote:Hello, Mark + Everyone!

You are most welcome to participate. The November thread is now live. :)

Thank you, Mark! "See" you Friday or Saturday. :)
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:02 am

From 10/2/21 (highly truncated by me):
VegSeekingFit wrote:Notes to members:
*Health 1st --- enjoy your squash!!!

Best,
Stephanie

Thank you, Stephanie!

Well...I actually haven't made any of them yet. :rolleyes: But, I hope to soon (they still look fresh!), and appreciate your well wishes! :)

Please forgive my delay in getting back.
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:48 am

From 10/2/21 (highly truncated by me):
Noella wrote:Health 1st - I’m cheering for you! You can do this! When I decided dairy products (cheese, sweetened yogurt and ice cream) are NOT a health-food and I changed to 100% dairy free, that was the day I found freedom. (Dec. 29, 2019!)

Thanks so much for your support + encouragement, Noella; I really appreciate it! Yes, going dairy-free is awesome, + congratulations on your upcoming 2 year dairy-free anniversary!!! :-D

I apologize for 1st replying now.
Health 1st

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program