October 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mark's Replies for October 1 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:58 pm

Noella - Your progress continues! I adore delicata squash; it and pumpkins are my favorite of the winter squash. YUM! Fun song. :-D Thank you for sharing that. How have your knees been feeling? Have a happy, healthy week!

cmcavazos2 - Great week, Christine! I'm confident you can achieve your goals, given time and adherence. :thumbsup: I really do think that when it comes to weight loss, as with the proverbial tortoise, slow and steady wins the race. Carry on!

Gimmelean - Kudos to you! Progress in regard to mindset and approach can be just as meaningful as results on the scale, right? I can identify with that "skeptical start," as I was once pretty skeptical myself and moved through a similar process of realization based on practice, patterns over time, and results. I think sustainable weight loss can be a particularly confusing problem, because of how the "results" we tend to measure are, at best, tangentially related to any single given action, decision, meal, or even day. It is the prevailing pattern of behavior over time that produces the outcome we experience, but I think our brains can have a tough time "seeing" the broad, dominant pattern, and tend to focus on individual specific things. It is easy to get really caught up in trying to "react" to a given scale result, too. I'm speaking from personal experience - I tried almost all the faulty strategies that we don't recommend, before I finally fully committed to the behavioral approach with the MWL 10-Point Checklist. I've written about that a few times in the past (here is one):
Mark Cooper wrote:This lifestyle feels like it should be easy to cultivate; after all, it's just eating some starches, vegetables, and fruits, drinking water, and going for a walk - seems easy, right? While that IS easy to understand, in practice it can be more like pushing with all your strength in one direction, while an axis of environmental, societal and evolutionary forces are all shoving you the opposite way! Because it often feels hard (but seems like it should be easy), I think sometimes we become inclined to "work hard" pushing on places where we don't have much leverage. I implore all participants not to resort to counting calories, weighing and measuring food, obsessing over minute details of diet and nutrition, or compulsively logging in CRONometer. Speaking as someone who foolishly did ALL of those things for way too long (in excess of a whole year), I can testify that path is maddening, and rarely sustainable. What is necessary to make this way of eating work in a sustainable and durable way, is to get REALLY good at planning, preparing, and (when hungry) eating adherent meals. In a month, most of us will eat anywhere from 50-100 meals, the percentage of those meals that satisfy the MWL guidelines largely determines how the month turns out in regard to our health and weight loss goals. Direct your efforts toward the task of passing the "plate test," in a fashion that fits your circumstances.

If the MWL 10-Point Checklist had an 11th point, it would be -

DO NOT OVERCOMPLICATE THIS!

VegSeekingFit - Excellent results, Stephanie; hooray for 5 months and especially for feeling 1000X better! :D I think it is great that you set intentional foci for each week, coupled with actions to support success in those areas, and if something doesn't seem to work, you reassess, adjust and try again. That is a great way to build a durable routine to support your goals. Keep at it!

Health 1st - Cheers to you for beginning the journey back in the right direction, AND for fitting in activity each day! If you can, try to frame things not against "how distant from perfect," but rather movement TOWARD the recommended pattern of behavior. All progress is relative, right? I would imagine having access to the microwave could really prove helpful - always being within a 10 minute window of a quick, easy, adherent meal is an excellent space to inhabit. :nod: By stocking up on the recommended foods that you find appealing, and having food prepped, you are doing a lot to set yourself up for success. The more you can do to bring your environment into an alignment that supports your goals, the better. Concentrate on the process of implementing the recommendations, and aim for progress over perfection. :)
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - October 1, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:18 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for October 1 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for October 1 - Part 2

By my count, 8 participants reported for our first October 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the first Friday in October:

Week ending 10/1/2021: 8 participants reported a total change of -0.80 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Health 1st +3.20
Total gains: +3.20
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
Kirstykay 0.00
Noella -0.20
Gimmelean -0.40
Belana -0.60
Cmcavazos2 -0.60
Rebecka22 -1.00
VegSeekingFit -1.20
Total losses: -4.00
Cumulative group loss for October 2021 to date: 0.80 pounds
Average loss for week ending October 1: 0.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2021: 64.95 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2021: 49.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2021: 18.84 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, October 8, 2021.

Great start to the month everyone! I think this fall is going to be great!

This week I would like to share what I think is a relevant selection from this thread discussing compliance on a healthy diet.
JeffN wrote:Know thyself.

As this study shows, for many of us, it is that occasional lapse on a "forbidden food" that is going to start the downward spiral.

Looking at the full study, it was forbidden foods, usually consumed at home, usually in the evening, usually on the weekend. So, to be successful, we have to keep our home and our environment a safe place and to avoid feeling deprived, which we can do by eating when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the approved foods.

As the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind." For many of us it is also, "in the house, in the mouth."

In Health
Jeff

Ecological Momentary Assessment of Dietary Lapses Across Behavioral Weight Loss Treatment: Characteristics, Predictors, and Relationships with Weight Change.
Forman EM, Schumacher LM, Crosby R, Manasse SM, Goldstein SP, Butryn ML, Wyckoff EP, Graham Thomas J.
Ann Behav Med. 2017 Mar 9. doi: 10.1007/s12160-017-9897-x. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 28281136

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=28281136

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Adherence to dietary prescriptions is critical for successful weight loss and weight loss maintenance. However, research on specific instances of inadherence (lapses) is limited, and findings regarding the frequency, nature, and causes of lapses are mixed. Additionally, no studies have examined lapses over the course of a weight loss program.

PURPOSE:
In the context of a reduced calorie diet prescribed as part of a behavioral treatment, we aimed to characterize lapse occurrence, examine lapse frequency across treatment, examine predictors of lapses, and assess the relationship between lapses and weight loss.

METHODS:
Adults (n = 189) enrolled in a 12-month behavioral weight loss program completed ecological momentary assessment (EMA) at baseline, mid-treatment, and end of treatment. At each EMA survey, participants indicated whether a lapse had occurred, and responded to questions assessing situational, environmental, and affective states.

RESULTS:
Lapse frequency showed a curvilinear relationship over time, such that frequency first decreased and then increased. Lapse frequency at baseline was negatively associated with early and overall weight loss. Lapses most often occurred at home, in the evenings, on the weekends, and entailed eating a forbidden food. Greater overall levels of assessed affective and environmental triggers predicted lapses, and greater momentary hunger and deprivation, and the presence of palatable food, also prospectively predicted lapses.

CONCLUSIONS:
In addition to characterizing lapse frequency, the current study identified prospective predictors of lapses across treatment. These findings support the importance of lapses to weight control and provide insight for potential targets of intervention to prevent lapse occurrence.
As you head into the next week, direct some attention to Jeff's precept from above: to be successful, we have to keep our home and our environment a safe place, and avoid feeling deprived, which we can do by eating when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the approved foods.

Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Re: October 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:28 pm

Thank you, Mark (as always!!) for your supportive comments!!! :-D

Also, forgot to thank you for your response to my ? last week on the 50/50 plate.

I was just about to "overcomplicate" things!!

Love the materials that you shared for our review this week.

Hope that you and your family have a wonderful weekend!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Noella » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:36 pm

Kirsty Kay - It’s so nice to have Mark’s support, right? All his wise questions and encouraging words of wisdom. The links he provides really help a lot, too!

Rebecka22 - So inspiring to hear that you have reached a healthy BMI! What an important milestone!

Belana - .5 lbs a week is 26 pounds in a year. And so many healthy lifestyle habits develop with practice over time.

Cmcavazo22 - I like to track my waist measurement every 3-4 weeks. I use the same belt each time and it’s fun to see when the next ‘hole’ fits!

Health 1st - I’m cheering for you! You can do this! When I decided dairy products (cheese, sweetened yogurt and ice cream) are NOT a health-food and I changed to 100% dairy free, that was the day I found freedom. (Dec. 29, 2019!)

Gimmilean- MWL has been a 180 degree shift in my mindset, approach, and results, too. It’s fantastic to finally know exactly what to eat ( and what not to eat!) for satiety, health and appearance: starch!

Stephanie - I agree! Wearing non-stretchy clothing with a regular fitted waist really helps to inspire me, too.
Noella

Postby Noella » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Thank you so much for asking about my knees, Mark. They get a bit more flexible and strong with each month on MWL. I have continued to be pain free since July.
Best regards, Noella
Noella

Postby Rebecka22 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:36 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the kind words. I love how we’re all supporting each other in addition to all the wonderful advice and encouragement from Mark, Wildgoose and the medical professionals on here. This is really an invaluable space! Have a great week everyone!
Rebecka22

Postby kirstykay » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words! I am very happy to be back in this supportive environment. I agree with you, Mark, I think this is going to be a great fall! :-)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby louie3084 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:05 am

Hi Mark, I'd like to rejoin the October group please. Just want to get back into the rhythm of better eating and to lose 2kgs or so. I hope you're all well.

Thanks again.
louie3084

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:00 am

louie3084 wrote:Hi Mark, I'd like to rejoin the October group please. Just want to get back into the rhythm of better eating and to lose 2kgs or so. I hope you're all well.

Thanks again.
Welcome back! If you need a refresher, you can always review the Orientation Materials. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:57 am

147.4 Weight change +/- in lbs: +0.4 pounds
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Nothing remarkable either way this week. Just following the behaviors and trusting the rest. Fall has been exhausting so I am really grateful for the support and structure this group provides to keep me focused. I value everyone sharing and encouraging each other so much. I hope everyone has a great week!
Rebecka22

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:28 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.2 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I missed posting last week as my husband had oral surgery/bone reconstruction on Friday and I completely forgot to post. My weight had stayed the same, so there was not much to report. The surgery went well and he is healing. This past week was interesting, as my husband had to eat all soft foods and so chose a lot of things we just don't buy anymore...like yogurt, pudding, Mac and Cheese, etc. I did not realize how much my shopping and cooking for the family has changed our diets! It was an eye opener to see how we eat so differently now, and the changes we have made. My success was not being tempted to eat the things brought into the house, and staying with the plan. None of it was really even a trigger for me, so that was a big plus! (side note: I have finally realized my triggers are more the crunchy things like chips and salsa) I was happy that I did not really focus so much on what I was eating, but just made what I always do. And yet it seemed so natural to be eating the MWL way. By the end of the week, my husband was asking for more of my food!
This week, I am feeling like I need to get caught up and read everyone's posts. My goal is to really focus on the 10 points and my choices, to see if there are areas where I could make small changes that might help me. It helps to know I have a group to check in with every Friday and that I have to be accountable for my eating behaviors and exercise plans. Thank you Mark for all your encouragement, and everyone else for showing up each week!
GreenFroG

Mark's Replies for October 8 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Rebecka22 - 10 YESes is awesome!
Rebecka22 wrote:Just following the behaviors and trusting the rest.
:D That sounds right to me. I'm glad this group has proven helpful in focusing your efforts. Carry on!

GreenFroG - All THUMBS-UP makes for good progress! I'm happy to hear your husband's surgery went well and he is recovering nicely. I found your observations regarding his selection of soft foods prompting a realization of how significantly your family's eating habits have change quite interesting. I appreciate you sharing that.
GreenFroG wrote:My success was not being tempted to eat the things brought into the house, and staying with the plan.
That feels like a pretty big success, as does the recognition of which specific foods tend to be the most troublesome for you personally. :nod:
GreenFroG wrote:By the end of the week, my husband was asking for more of my food!
Love it! I think the goal you have set for the week ahead definitely has value; small changes can accrue and have outsized effects. :thumbsup:
Mark Cooper

Postby wstokes » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:01 pm

I've been away awhile but would like to rejoin the group and commit to following the MWL 10 Point Checklist.

Weight change +/- in lbs: -1.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. no
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). no
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).no
6. Eliminate any added oil.yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. no
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). no

I know I can do much better on the above 10 points...this past week was a transitional week as I struggled with whether it made sense to ask if I could return to the group.
wstokes

Postby cmcavazos2 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:27 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.6# gain

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Victories: I did ok on the 10 guidelines.
Comments: I think my gain is probably from extra sodium. When I have meals (even homecooked ones) that include soy sauce , spaghetti sauce, or salsa, etc -- it tends to show up on the scale eventhough I try to drink extra water to help with water retention. Hopefully, everything will balance out if I include larger salads and raw veggies next week. I also do better when I prepare sauces from fresh ingredients rather than store bought products. My rural smalltown grocery doesn't stock many low sodium products unfortunately.
Concerns: None
Questions: None
I'll be checking in again next week...
cmcavazos2

Postby Health 1st » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:32 am

Hello!

Just hopping on to let you know that my week was far different than I had planned.  Unfortunately, my closest friend + her family have had several "minor" (could be worse, but still bad enough) crises this week + I have been trying to help them out as much as I can.  In addition to that, the next couple weeks have me needing to accomplish some fairly large projects with hard deadlines.  As much as I hate to do it, realistically, I think I'm going to have to bow out of participating in the Group + posting on my journal for the next couple/few(?) weeks because of the added time constraints, as I'm pretty wiped out physically + emotionally from seeing loved one's hurting.

At least I've been able to put into practice being okay with a very high level of compliance yet not being perfect with my eating...so God is bringing some good out of the bad.  :nod: Also so thankful for bags of fresh + frozen veggies, oatmeal, Bob's Red Mill Potato Flakes, + canned no-salt-added beans + veggies...keeping it super simple is so helpful! 

Please know that you have been + will continue to be on my mind, I'm really hoping the best for you in your MWL journeys + life in general, + that I look forward to reuniting with you as soon as I can.  I also still plan on responding to the kind, thoughtful comments that you wrote me in the past week. Please take care, Everyone!  :)

Edit @ 10:30a.m.: I really tried to be succinct above, but that doesn't seem to be my forte :wink: , + often get more wordy when I'm tired (hadn't slept yet). Just thought that I could have done the checklist(!), except I have no way of weighing myself right now.
Last edited by Health 1st on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Health 1st

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program