Action plan when you go off-plan + how to prevent altogether

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Action plan when you go off-plan + how to prevent altogether

Postby Health 1st » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:15 am

Hello!

Ideally none of us would ever go off-plan with our eating. But...since we are human, it seems like for the vast majority of us, at one time or another we'll slip-up or maybe even have a purposely planned "treat" for a rare occasion.

My question is, as someone who was following MWL with great success only to crash + burn, what good/positive/helpful thoughts do you tell yourself to help you get back on-plan ASAP? Do you have any catchy phrases? How do you maintain excellence in eating without letting perfectionism sabotage you?

Also, if you feel like the wheels are starting to come loose (before actually going off-plan), are there techniques/thoughts, etc. that help you from going off-plan?

I have thoughts/ideas, but would love to hear yours.

Thank you, in advance! :)

--Health 1st who could have prevented almost a month of going backwards had she "simply" focused on putting her Health 1st! :duh: :roll:
Health 1st

Re: Action plan when you go off-plan + how to prevent altoge

Postby louie3084 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi health 1st,

I would love to hear Marks ideas, your ideas and others!

Great post.

I wonder if planning a McDougall treat (but not MWL) every now and again would help keep us on track?? I'm very active so I may need to consider this as I planned and are vegan ice cream over the weekend with peanut butter :lol:
louie3084

Postby squealcat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:51 pm

I have sat in a chair and just waited for the urge to eat those unhealthy or not really wanted treats to pass. It really didn't take very long for it to pass. It is a bit hard to do but it works. I have timed it too (10 minutes).

I used to have a habit of stopping at the bakery section of my grocery store and getting "a little something". I needed to stop it and so I purposely walked around (avoided) that section each time I went to that store and now I am not tempted. That proved to me that it was a habit I acquired.

I don't have any magic for you. I still have trouble. I would like to hear for others for ideas as well.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:59 am

I'm far from perfect, and slipped during COVID (but am now back), but what usually works for me is to ask myself, "Is it worth it"? I am an ethical vegan so would NEVER eat meat or dairy, but vegan junk food does beckon sometimes. I think about how much weight I have lost and the fact that my cute clothes fit--would eating X (and possibly slipping off the edge as a result) be worth blowing that? The answer is NO. I make it very specific and that seems to help!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program