November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:45 pm

November 2021 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group
MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Hope410 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:41 am

Hi Mark,

I would like to join the MWL group again and work on following the guidelines at least through the Holidays. If I am still not able to comply by January, I will pull out of the group again. Is that okay? If so, I will will weigh in on Friday with results starting from today.
Hope410

Postby George Ohwell » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:12 pm

I'm joining this month and have read the orientation info. Glad to be back!
-Geroge
George Ohwell

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Hope410 - Sure! Welcome back. Practicing the pattern of behavior recommended in the MWL 10-Point Checklist is what this is all about. :)

George Ohwell - Glad to have you!
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:05 am

Hi Team MWL,

Hope that everyone is having an excellent week!!

The weather here in Illinois is taking a brisk turn. We have had some frost - bye bye flowers. On the positive side, it is great soup and sweater weather! It is fun to hear the leaves crunch underfoot on a walk. (Maybe not so fun to think of all of the raking that needs to be done!!) :shock:

Weight change - 3.0 lbs. loss
Current weight - 129.0 lbs.
Last Week weight - 132.0 lbs.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Most of the time - especially for breakfast & lunch.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
Most of the time. For snack, have had soup that is 50/50 (or so) - includes some potato but lots of other veggie volume .

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES!!! I have (finally) managed to eliminate the bad snacking. :mrgreen:

6 Eliminate any added oil. Yes! I do not add oil and only have this if eating out.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes. I continue to be mindful of hunger. Thinking that hunger doesn't mean ravenous... so, may have soup instead of getting hungrier and risking a bad choice (of dry salty something that isn't on plan).

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I have FINALLY been able to conquer my post-dinner off plan snacking habit!! I guess some of us have to learn through the school of "hard knocks". Anyway, have removed the thing that called to me from the house and have been enjoying vegetable soup (sometimes with a potato) instead. Trying to get all in synch with #9 / hunger. I am on a streak of no off-plan snacks!!! :-D

Excited to be starting the virtual McD 12 day program today. I will be following the MWL checklist (not changing eating / exercise) -- and trying to absorb all of the knowledge and experience that I can (like a sponge)... :) I plan to continue to participate here - hoping this is ok.

Wishing everyone a great week!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:38 am

144.2 Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.2 pounds
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I am proud of myself for traveling and packing three days worth of meals. I ate all my own food and let everyone else eat their things. I really appreciated the articles about compliance fatigue as they helped me see why sometimes I just want to have what everyone else is having or not make so much effort. However by planning and packing everything it was much easier to stick to it. I also navigated a work lunch where they were ordering out and was able to nicely say I didn’t prefer to eat out and was more than happy to just bring my own food. All in all a good week to help set me up for more success with traveling again and the upcoming holidays. Have a great week everyone!
Rebecka22

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:46 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.00 Stayed the same

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Stayed the same this week, but felt good that I followed the checklist. Thank you, Mark, for posting the link to another group where people were discussing the adherence fatigue. Somehow it is reassuring that others are experiencing similar things. Just like this forum, it is so helpful to not have to go it alone! As the the next few months are the ones flowing with eats and treats in all the stores, I have come to realize how much I appreciate this forum. I am starting to think about my holiday game plan. Posting each week definitely helps!
GreenFroG

Mark's Replies for November 5 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:02 pm

VegSeekingFit - WOW! 3 lbs! Great work, Stephanie! I knew you could conquer those off-plan snacks with continuing effort; congratulations on your streak. :thumbsup: I agree with you that "hungry" doesn't need to mean "ravenous." Enjoy the 12 day program! I'm sure it will be a great experience for you! :nod: By all means you can continue to participate here, too.

Rebecka22 - Great progress! Getting really focused and serious, and making the effort to adhere while travelling is DEFINITELY something about which you should rightly feel proud. Your successful efforts have demonstrated to yourself (and the group) a "plausible promise" of what is possible for future adventures. Onward!

GreenFroG - 10/10! Practicing the recommended behaviors is what this is all about, so an adherent week is always a win! :D I know what you mean about finding a sense of reassurance in common experience with others, and a feeling of camaraderie, as well. Now is a great time to start considering your plan for the holidays, and get a jump on being prepared to succeed. Carry on!
Mark Cooper

Postby cmcavazos2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:35 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: + .4# gain

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories: None this week
Comments: I had two really off plan days. I'm actually surprised that the gain was not more. Of course, it may also show up for next week also. It all started with some problems at work --- followed by comfort brownies in the breakroom. From that point on, food was calling to me with cravings for more sugar. It took me a full day to get back on track. It has been a long time since I have felt that urge to binge and have eaten whatever was nearby -- just to eat something. ---I'm back on track, thankfully.
Concerns: None

Back on track for next week's weigh-in...
cmcavazos2

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:58 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: +.08
10/29/2021. 125.4
11/05/2021. 126.2

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Hello! Mark thanks for acknowledging my post last week despite how late it was. I’m glad to be back on time for the first November post and looking forward to participating this month.
Gimmelean

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:54 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: + 2 lbs lost

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. not always, but I still ate my veggies.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. most of the time. I overate yesterday, but otherwise, I didn't. that's great progress for me!
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). half the time. had some back and neck pain this past week.

Victories: only overate 1 day. that's great for me!
Comments: I'm glad to be here.
Concerns: None

-George
George Ohwell

Postby Hope410 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:06 pm

Hello All,

It is nice to be back in the group and working to follow the guidelines again.

Weight change -2.0 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Y
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). N
6. Eliminate any added oil. Y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. N
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). N

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: The NO for points 5 and 7 are from a sandwich with 2 slices of bread and a slice of vegan cheese that I ate late on Wednesday evening. No exercise at all since starting on Tuesday, so my goal is to work toward a Yes for all these points.

See you next week.
Hope410

Postby squealcat » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:10 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week: 197.5, this week: 197.1
weight loss : -0.4 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.no
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.no
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).no
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).no
6. Eliminate any added oil.no (ate out twice )
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.no
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.no
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).I walked 3 miles four days and worked in the garden one day so that was 5 days of activity and that is good enough for me

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:It took me a few days to get out of that pleasure trap and that is why so many no's on the ten MWL points. Glad there was at least a 0.4 pound loss :nod: . Exercise is not a problem for me but I would like to figure out how to get in 30 minutes on those last two days of the week when I babysit my grandson. It will come though ! For this coming week, I have made a veggie soup as a preload for dinner. I don't like vegetable soup though and will figure out something else for after that. I always have a pretty big salad for lunch. My main problem lately has been grabbing snacks at my daughter's house when watching my grandson. Staying out of that is my goal for this week and it will make a big difference in my weight loss when I reach that goal. I will probably move right out of the kitchen area after eating and sit in the living room for the rest of my little break. Anyway, not much else for this week. I continue on !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby BambiS » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:38 am

Hi

I would like to be added to the group. I have read guidelines and watched the videos.
I’m looking forward to improving my health.

Thanks

Bambi
BambiS

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 am

Hi, Mark & MWL Folks!!

I'm back to join the Group and have read the orientation info & reviewed the MWL 10-Point Checklist. Happy to be back! I see my need for this Group more than ever as I am struggling through coping with the loss of my Dad in July. I have had setbacks but want to move forward with the mindset I know will benefit my mind & body most.

Starting weight: 145.6lbs
CUgorji22

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program