The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

Postby Health 1st » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:01 am

Hello, All!  I apologize for being MIA.  My family + I all did indeed get covid.  I had hoped to post last week but I literally slept through the posting deadline.  The week prior to that wasn't even a possibility.  All my below responses are skewed in light of being sick, caregiving for those sicker than myself, + lack of food availability.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----No.  I have not always been having meals per say.  In the winter I normally eat maybe 1 piece of fruit per day + that in my oatmeal, but I have found myself eating oranges + apples, maybe 1 each per day, + sometimes fresh squeezed lemon in tea.  Was able to get a 1# organic spring mix and organic baby cucumbers a few days ago + have thoroughly enjoyed snacking on these!

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Yes, when we've had vegetables.  Probably starting Monday I have consistently had veggies available--such a blessing that is so easy to take for granted during normal, healthy times.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----I usually never use honey, but of course you hear about all these home remedies, so probably 4 out of 7 days I had maybe a total of 2 teaspoons of raw unfiltered honey in tea.  At times I squirted a bit of honey right in my throat to help alleviate coughing + it really helped!  I'd much rather have that than OTC cough syrup.  -----Sometimes I ate more salt than I usually do or would have preferred due to trying to minimize time preparing everyone's food, + so I consumed a bit more salt a few meals/times.

4. Eliminate all animal foods, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----Yes, except for the by-product of raw honey used for medicinal reasons above.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----One time I had some salted peanuts roasted in the shell, a small handful, so even less when you take away the shells.  But still not MWL.  Had them when barely had anything to eat in the house.  Other family is all pretty far away, + our closest friends + co-workers also had covid, so there really wasn't anyone to drop off/shop for us.  Never have done online shopping + only have pre-installed apps that came on the phone. 

6. Eliminate any added oil.----Yes.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----One morning I had 2 slices of NSA whole-wheat toast just to change things up + it was super fast.  Again, not MWL, but at least it was not something that triggered me or I had because I just had to have it.  Again, it was when we were low on food.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----Yes, not a problem except for above mentioned honey.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----Yes.  Had more hunger this week, so I actually see this as a good thing.  :-D  Never thought I'd welcome having hunger, but I see it as a sign of returning health!

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----Nope.  Has not even been a thought until now answering this question, "LOL".  I have been quite active helping my dad.  He's had the roughest time + has needed a lot of help in all ways, including physically.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

----I am so thankful to God that we are alive and are all improving.  Without going into details, there were some really scary times.  Age really does appear to be a factor in severity of covid, despite excellent eating habits and wonderful #'s (b/p, cholesterol, etc.).

----This week the 1 month anniversary of my recommitment to MWL occurred + I feel wonderful (sans covid).  I have reaped huge rewards physically, have lost a lot of weight, my appearance is slimmer, + I don't feel the "need" to have anything off-plan.  With still being very over-weight, I do not know if I would have faired as well covid-wise had I not had the at least 10 days in of MWL, because I have co-morbidities.  But they are all getting better!!!!  :-)

----I am still dealing with issues from covid.  I am not yet fully recovered.  I am dreadfully behind in literally e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g in life.  I was forced to learn to be okay with this.  But now that more energy is returning, I struggle with doing too much only to put me further behind because then I am forced to rest/sleep.  I 1st now came on to the forum and saw what a smashing success this new format is, though I'm not surprised as I figured it would be a real hit!  But there is no way I can read everyone's past posts or the other thread for off-topic discussions at this time.  One symptom I'm having now are headaches pretty much non-stop and being on my phone (Internet) is not helping.  If I do not post next week or the next ? weeks, this will be why:  my eyes/head bothering me, trying to catch up with life while still recovering and helping my family.  I really look forward to becoming more active by posting more and interacting with you all.

----Please stay safe and as healthy as you can!  And if you can put some left-overs away in the freezer, you'll be that much more ahead if you get covid or have some other reason why you just can't cook but need to eat.  If you can have a spare freezer, that would really help.  If you can't tell, we don't and I had no left-overs frozen and hardly any frozen veggies.  This made it really hard, especially when we were in the thick of covid.

----Hope I filled this out okay since I haven't been reading everyone's posts as examples.  Thank you, in advance, for any needed grace.  Thanks for all the hard work you, Mark, Jeff, + Goose put into making this such an awesome resource, + all thanks to my fellow MWLers for linking arms in our journeys.
Health 1st

Postby josietheschnauzer » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:22 am

Thank you all for your comments! They are so helpful!
MWL Check List 1/22/22
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: Yes, I highly recommend using baby spinach in the salad instead of lettuce. I am relearning to take time to truly enjoy the salad instead of treating it like duty food. My salad dressing is fresh lemon juice and lots of Mrs. Dash’s salt free seasoning. As I believe Ms. Goose wrote, sometimes it is the flavor….using plenty of seasoning (for me) negates the need for salt or oil. In all fairness, this has been a journey, but I truly prefer lemon juice over any kind of dressing. I actually savor the taste of the vegetables.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: Yes, and i usually have more than 50% of green leafy vegetables. Truly this way of eating makes one healthier—eating lots of greens is my anti-covid regime also.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts: Yes.
4. Eliminate all animal foods: Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: progress! One not two pieces of my vegetable sushi made with cucumber and mango and avocado. This sushi roll is gratis to go with my asparagus rolls. I just don’t want make suggestions about my gift sushi to the chef. But I can eat less and give my dinner partner the treat!
6. Eliminate any added oil: Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, popcorn and dried fruit: Yes
8. Don't drink your calories: Yes
9. Eating when hungry & until comfortably full. Don't starve and don't stuff: Yes. I have rediscovered that when I think I am hungry, I am thirsty! So, yet, once, more I am back to MWL basics—am I really hungry or am I tired or thirsty or bored? I have plenty of herbal tea aging in the pantry! No more, I am drinking it and enjoying it very much.
10. Include 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: Yes. I now walk instead of run. I go out with a friend early, early in the morning. Then I am through for the day. Today, Saturday, I am not going out early so I will have to fit it in later.
I have completed three weeks of my reentry phase. I feel so much better—and my mental attitude is so much better. That little voice in my head is not so critical. I am setting achievable goals and accomplishing them. I gained about 15 pounds during the time I quit reporting to you all. I haven’t looked the dates up in any case, I have lost 4 of those pounds. Thank you!
josietheschnauzer

Postby GreenFroG » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:47 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes. I start each day with fruit in my oatmeal and I had a salad with each meal.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. No. I have my plates divided 50/50. I am trying to just have fruit for dessert. I ended up having a potato one night with a sprinkle of salt. Another night I had garbanzo beans with a sprinkle of salt. This was not good for me as I ended up wanting more salt and more snacks. I need to just stick to fruit for dinner and stay out of the kitchen. That is my goal for next week, I will only have fruit for dessert.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No. I am having a problem this week with salt. I cannot seem to just sprinkle a little salt on my snack and be happy. It starts a craving. I went back for another potato and more salt, and then ended up getting into my husbands chips. Salt is a problem for me. The chips are now gone and this next week I will try to go salt free.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.
6. Eliminate any added oil. No, I got into the blue corn tortilla chips which have oil and salt.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No. I had the chips. It was a snack at night after the kitchen was closed. I need to get out the exercise mat and do stretching instead. I also have discovered if I drink a cup of hot water with lemon juice at night, it seems like a special warm treat, so I will try this next time I want salt.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. No. I ate when i was not really hungry, just wanted to snack and had a salt craving.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes. I have been walking every day and exercising with a class 5 days a week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: My victory this week was exercising and getting into a routine. My concern is that I am having a hard time with salt. I don't seem to be able to draw the line at a sprinkle of salt. I just want more so I got a second helping of something compliant and then I got into tortilla chips and salsa -- my downfall. They were in the house and I was good about staying out of them, until I wasn't. I got into the cupboard that is suppose to be off limits for me, so that part was not successful. My goal this next week is to cut out salt. In the past when I have not used salt at all, I have done much better. My other goal is to read the posts and links throughout the week to keep me focused. This last week was busy and I am behind. Have a great week everyone and thanks to Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff, Dr. McDougall and all the people behind the scenes.
GreenFroG

Postby HappyinOregon » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:34 am

MWL Behavioral Path to MWL Success Check List 1/14/22
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit:
Absolutely yes before dinner; often during lunch, but not for breakfast and I tend to eat my fruit after or with my oatmeal.
***I have a question about sugar substitutes. I don't normally use substitutes because they all seem to have a funny aftertaste, but I'm wondering if it would be okay to add a little stevia to my oatmeal? I am not missing sugary treats at all but I am missing that taste of sweetness in the morning.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals:
Yes, for lunch and dinner. Not yet for breakfast. Need to investigate how I can incorporate veggies into a breakfast routine.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts:
Yes, I am doing this. At Mark's suggestion. I bought canned spinach with no salt added. I love using this for my pre-load with a dash of vinegar.

4. Eliminate all animal foods:
Yes, yes and yes!!! I don't miss it at all.
***I do have a challenge coming up. My daughter and husband are inviting us for a prime rib dinner this Sunday. I am reading, reading, reading all I can to prepare myself mentally to meet this challenge. I am going to take some compliant foods with me.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods:
I still have my soy creamer this week, but the win for me was that whereas I normally have 3 or maybe 4 cups of coffee - I have limited myself to only ONE cup. When the alarm goes off at 6 in the morning sometimes the only thing that gets me out of bed is knowing that I have a cup of coffee waiting for me. Since I can sleep in on the week-end - I am going to try to do without the added creamer.

6. Eliminate any added oil:
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, popcorn and dried fruit:
Hmmm...I did have a handful of tortilla chips with a little no-fat refried beans as a dip.

8. Don't drink your calories:
I am doing well here.

9. Eating when hungry & until comfortably full. Don't starve and don't stuff:
I never seem overly hungry and try to not eat too much at one time. Sometimes I get busy during the day and I forget to eat lunch. When that happens I grab a recooked potato and eat it like an apple. Then I can concentrate on preparing my meal which is usually a leftovers from the night before.

10. Include 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily:
Not yet, but working on it.

I have completed three weeks of MWL. I feel much better and have more energy.
Trying to eliminate "snack" foods from the house as much as possible - but I have a sugar-eating snacking husband. He has no weight issues at all, but I am trying to work him into eating better. He's pretty easy to please, but I will make sure he gets some meat a couple of times a week, otherwise he seems happy enough to eat my McDougall meals.
HappyinOregon

Postby Sardel » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:36 am

Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
I eat vegetables firs tthing,
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate with non-starchy vegetables and 50% with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
I seldom manage to have both a veg before the dinner and then as half of the plate, but I'm working on it.
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.
I’ve lowered my salt intake greatly, and I'm giving up decaf tea, which for me requires sweetener and plant milk, and moving to herbal tea only
Eliminate all animal foods.
This week wasn't too successful. It's part of my difficulty with eating out with friends. I did have one meal with animal foods. I'm not happy with myself
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods.
Nuts, again, are my big problem. I absolutely love nuts, but this is keeping me from losing the 50 pounds I need to lose. This week, I'll follow Yoda's advice: "Try not. Do!"
Eliminate any added oil.
Not a problem
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products.
Not a problem
Don’t drink your calories.
I have given up caffeinated coffee and tea with sweetener and creamer, and am drinking water and herb tea. Still like the occasional beer.
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
I'm figuring this out. Often I don't have breakfast till early afternoon, because I'm not hungry, and then I might only have one more meal, or two quite close together.
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily.
This week I only managed about 3 days of exercise, because of covid (gym reluctance), the cold weather. and inertia. I have a plan now where I use the treadmill at the gym 4 days a week, and my rowing machine at home for the remaining 3. Any of these can be substituted with a walk.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions

Comments: Cheating because I deserve a snack is a HUGE problem. This week I did not lose any weight, but maintained the 6 pounds I have already lost.

Concern: I have been trying to follow McDougall food guidelines for several years now, with increasing success but not 100%. I cheat just enough to maintain about 50 pounds of excess weight (I’ve lost about 35 pounds so far). I have a hard time staying committed to a program, and I don’t want to drop out of this program as I have so many others. I wrote this last week, but it still applies.

Question: One of McDougall’s foods I really enjoy is the banana oat bran muffins on p. 112 of the New McDougall cookbook. If I changed this recipe to consist only of rolled oats (or quick oats?), baking powder, banana, apple juice, and maybe applesauce if I don’t have enough bananas for the recipe, would this be MWL compliant? I’m 76, and It is nice to get up, have an apple, have several muffins, and start my day with no preparation.
Sardel

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 am

Post for week ending 1/21/2022

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  

Yes. An immersion blender is a must have gadget to make quick and easy soups safely. I made the zucchini soup and my whole family loves it. Adding quinoa and corn made the soup a full meal. By itself, it’s the perfect broth based starter.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

Yes. Much better this week. Not perfect but very aware.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

Yes.

6) Eliminate any added oil.

Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

Yes. See item 3.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

Yes. I keep telling myself I am NOT buying anymore tea but the varieties and flavors with no calories or additives always sound so good and are compliant. Tazo iced lemon loaf flavored tea is definitely not pound cake in your cup but it is good and a close second.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

Yes. I always have to be very mindful of this to avoid recreational eating. This week I am going to make it a point to leave something at each meal on my plate and put my fork down at that first sigh that I’m full. I’ll tell myself I can have it later if I want and most always never do. It sounds so easy but it isn’t!

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Dr. Lisle’s videos on YouTube are such wonderful sources of education and information. This MWL scientific, analytical approach feels so much better and is so much more effective than allowing myself to be swept into guilt, shame, and self doubt which I almost always did in the past and which never worked. This to me is the best result I could ever have hoped for over time by participating in this group. Thank you!
Gimmelean

Postby kirstykay » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:42 pm

1/22/22

Still recovering from my surgery, but finally feeling more like myself again. Soft foods only for one more week. My answers are definitely affected by this restriction plus not feeling great.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. NO - I am eating potato or tomato soup for some of my meals, not in addition to them.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: NO - I just can't do mushy vegetables. I have been eating mainly mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and oatmeal. I've been cooking cauliflower with my mashed potatoes and carrots with my sweet potatoes. Considering this a win. I did have some very soft broccoli once and even that was a problem to keep away from my incision. This is a temporary problem.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES- my limited diet has made this easy

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES- second nature now

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). MOSTLY- I did have some mashed avocado and a spoon of PB once each this week.

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES- second nature now, as long as I don't eat out, which of course, I'm not right now.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES- drinking water

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO- I feel like I've been eating too much this week. I think I'm comforting myself with too much food-eating beyond full and when bored. Hopefully now that I'm feeling better, I can turn this around.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO- Wasn't cleared to exercise this week. I think I will be able to do some light exercise like walking or my elliptical in the coming week.

Sorry. It's been a rough week. I am hoping this week will be a little more normal.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:57 pm

Hope everyone's having an awesome weekend!

*Guidelines:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant 6/7 days
- Non-compliance/reason: Monday night's dinner was rushed and squeezed between birthday events for my daughter. I was rushing (as I was last week) and started eating without my starter. UGH!
- Decision to Adhere: I shared my "need to slow down" issue with several friends this week. It really helped to talk through my priorities & get great feedback from people I trust...people who sincerely care about me. One thing I did that helped with the rest of the week was this: I put my starter at my place setting BEFORE dinner was served...before food/plates/utensils were placed on the table. The rest of the week was easy breezy.  A couple times I sat down and completely forgot my starter was already waiting for me. Lol! I will continue to prepare my starter first then put it on the table before dinner is served.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: Batch cooking helps me adhere to this guideline. My favorite veggie this week: collard greens.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: I do not buy/eat packaged foods for myself, which helps me adhere to this guideline.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: Even though my family eats animal products, I do not buy a lot of dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood which reduces the temptation factor. 

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: My family ordered takeout 2 days this week. One night they ate fast food. I did not order anything, I cooked my own food. Another night I had the opportunity to order tofu but I didn't.  

6. Eliminate any added oil. Compliant 7/7 days 
- Victory: (1) I cooked a recipe this week that included oil as an ingredient. I omitted oil. The dish tasted great! Family approved. (2) Using my air fryer for potatoes works great as well. 

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: (1) Meal planning really helps me adhere to this guideline. I know what I'm eating each day and I stick to it. I keep my family menu on my phone & refer it often to stay on track. (2) I have considerably reduced the amount of calorie-dense foods I bring into my home, which also helps. (3) My family enjoyed a special cake we ordered for my daughter's birthday. I ordered a small size to ensure they could eat most of it that day...I did not want cake hanging around for several days. I did not touch the cake; my husband cut it & served it to the kids. I did not eat one slice/piece/crumb of cake! YAY!!! It was completely gone the next day. (Thank goodness!)

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: One thing that's helped me is buying bottled water. I have really increased my water intake recently. I do not buy sugary drinks for my family.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant 7/7 days
- Victory: I used to dig in for seconds after my 1st plate of dinner. I have trained myself to pause before putting more food on my plate. Usually, I don't because I realize I am satisfied.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Compliant 5/7 days 
- Non-compliance/reason: On Sunday I overbooked my schedule; I exercised for one block of time (as suggested) with the intention to complete the remaining time throughout the day...but I didn't. Monday was my daughter's birthday. I had in mind to exercise after all the festivities. The reality: I fell asleep on the couch. 
- Decision to Adhere: Yesterday I decided to walk before my kids woke up. My husband works from home so I knew he'd be able to manage if they got up before I returned. It worked out great! I was able to get my exercise in before the hustle & bustle of the day started. I will walk early mornings a couple times a week.   

*SUMMARY/THOUGHTS*
- Overall, I am very pleased with my progress this week. I feel more confident than ever.
- I think I'm at the place where I want to focus on maintenance. I don't want to lose more weight; I'd like to maintain my weight at this point. I honestly feel great about my body and I'm within my ideal range. Not exactly sure what the next step is. I don't want to leave the Forum and jump off a cliff into Vegan Ville...like I've done before.

*Weight Change: -0.6lbs *loss*

Enjoy your weekend, Mark! Thank you for your continued support!!

-Chesca
CUgorji22

Reporting for January 21 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:06 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Postby Noella » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:09 pm

Hi Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and All,

:) 1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I'm planning to increase the quantity of the nutrient-rich salads I eat each at each and every meal as an appetizer, including breakfast.
:) 2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
:) 3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:) 4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
:) 5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:) 6. Eliminate any added oil.
:) 7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:) 8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:) 9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:| 10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I'm disappointed with my level of exercise this week. It’s not a problem with my knowledge about the benefits of exercise. It's not a problem with decision making - I've made the decision to improve my health and getting some exercise each day is an important part of this. I have removed some of the obstacles to exercising indoors by setting up exercise areas. I spend too much time sitting at my desk and I am aware of this and want to change my daily routines. So I have the desire. I hope to figure out some ways to motivate myself to exercise every day eventually.

Victories: The way I eat has changed dramatically since I started. I am learning so much about nutrition! Thank you to the Dr. McDougall MWL Team!

Best regards to everyone for an awesome week,

Noella

146 lbs.
Last edited by Noella on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Noella

Mark's Replies for January 21 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:39 pm

frowsyowl - Substantial progress from the previous week, Jennifer! You can rightly feel proud! Planning to be well-prepared ALWAYS helps, so getting ready for the week to come is a great impulse. :nod:
frowsyowl wrote:I talked myself into doing it by agreeing that I could just do 10 minutes and stop if I wanted.
I think this tactic can be really useful, since getting started is often the most formidable hurdle. Aim for eliminating those remaining "for your husband" items from your meals and you'll be in a great place, right? Do you think anything in particular was contributing to those occasions when your resolve felt "wobbly"? Thanks for sharing that dream anecdote - it made me grin!

VegSeekingFit - Despite this self-assessment appearing to be "materially the same as last week," Stephanie, I see you achieving 4 consecutive days of strict adherence as a very positive development. You achieved the recommended pattern of behavior, now it is just a matter of maintaining that trajectory by continuing to do what has worked, right? Probably helpful to try to anticipate any potential obstacles on the horizon, too. Awesome work staying active!

thatsright75 - Well done! I'm so happy to read your thoughts about how this behavior-driven approach is working for you, Kali; feeling empowered and in control sounds like a pretty wonderful state of being. :)
thatsright75 wrote:Is it a problem if I get full on soup and don't make it to the 50/50 plate from time to time?
I wouldn't think this would be a problem if it is only occurring occasionally, and you don't find yourself getting overly hungry later in the day. Regarding the issue of being "not hungry enough" to want to prepare a meal, I'd say your instincts about this are probably reasonable. If you don't feel like you are "starving" or find yourself becoming ravenously hungry it likely isn't a major issue. In general, if you feel hungry enough to want something to eat, the recommendation is to eat.
thatsright75 wrote:I guess sometimes I do warm up a small bowl of soup to satisfy me until the next meal. Maybe that's the correct solution.
Sounds like a sensible practice to me. :) Onward!

Health 1st - Oh my! I can't imagine contracting Covid-19 is a very pleasant or easy experience. I'm happy to know you are improving, and my wish for you is a full recovery. Focus on doing your best to take care of yourself, get well, and maintain the recommended behavior to the extent you are able. We'll be thinking of you! :)

josietheschnauzer -
josietheschnauzer wrote:I have completed three weeks of my reentry phase. I feel so much better—and my mental attitude is so much better. That little voice in my head is not so critical. I am setting achievable goals and accomplishing them
That is wonderful to read, Elsa! I'm so proud for you! I'm delighted you are enjoying those salads; my salads are among the high points of my day! :lol: Carry on as you are! :thumbsup:

GreenFroG - Nice job making exercise a part of your daily routine! Was using that added salt a new behavior added this week, or something you had been doing previously? If you find added salt contributes to troublesome cravings, it is perfectly acceptable to eliminate it. Fruit is always the right choice for dessert, but if you find yourself at the end of a meal wanting beans or a potato, it might be worth experimenting with a slightly larger volume of food for your 50/50 "meal". If that extra helping of starch was just being driven by a craving for salt, then addressing the salt should be a solution, yes? Have a great week!

HappyinOregon - Congratulations on completing week 3! Feeling better and more energetic is the best reward, right? In reference to wanting some sweetness in your breakfast, would a sweet fruit mixed with the oatmeal help to provide that for you? Perhaps something like sweet cherries, mango or pineapple? To clarify, it is acceptable to fulfill the 50/50 recommendation using fruit (or fruit AND vegetables), so that could be a way to make breakfast fit the guidelines. For ANY form of added sweetener, the recommendation would be the same as for sugar:
JeffN wrote:In regard to added salt and added sugar, we recommend buying and preparing food without either and if any are to be used, to add them at the table on the surface of the food. If either one is troublesome and create uncontrollable cravings for you, then leave them out.
Jeff discusses sugar "substitutes" in this thread.
JeffN wrote:My opinion remains, I do not recommend these at all nor see any reason for people to use them at all.

However, if someone was to choose one, a small amount, as with any sugar, salt, or oil/fat is not going to be harmful and I would not lose any sleep over it, especially if the small amount they are using is getting them to consume more of the recommended healthy low calorie dense, high satiety foods. If they are using it to consume calorie dense WFPB or Vegan CRAP, then no, I would not be a fan of that.

The problem is, most all the people who come to this way of life do so because they have health issues and have proven they can not control their intake of these items. If they could, they would not be having the problems they do. Personally, I would rather see someone use plain old sugar (Sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, etc) in a limited amount. For those choosing to be on a strict SOS free diet, I would not recommend it.
Regarding that upcoming dinner invitation, I think you have the right idea - decide your actions in advance, get mentally prepared by thinking through the likely scenarios, and bring an ample amount of your favorite adherent foods. In the past, some participants have mentioned finding it helpful to also have something to eat in advance, so as to not feel overly hungry and be even more tempted. Eliminating non adherent "snacks" from your immediate environment is always the soundest practice; however, if you aren't able to get your husband to pass up everything in that category, perhaps he can choose options that you find less appealing, and keep them in an alternate location, out of your regular path. I think it's great that he is happy mostly eating adherent meals.

Sardel - Cheers! "100%" can feel like an intimidating goal for some participants; would it feel helpful to, instead, aim for making meaningful progress toward the recommended pattern of behavior each day / week? If you keep a close track of all "exceptions," that can provide a good gauge for how one week compares to the next in terms of adherence. What do you feel has been the most significant contributor to having "a hard time staying committed to a program" for you in the past? What feels like the biggest challenge at present? Identifying and addressing the primary factors making things feel challenging can really help. Something else that might be helpful: when you are feeling like you deserve some sort of reward, would it be possible to decide on a suitable "treat" that doesn't involve non adherent food? Anything else you particularly enjoy that could fit the bill? The muffins you describe would not be suitable for MWL (I'm not aware of any muffin that would be); if you want a no-prep breakfast, would it be possible to make oatmeal the night before? (That is what I do, personally). To make things extra easy, you could even just pour boiling water onto your oats, cover and give it a big stir in the morning. Best wishes for the days ahead!

Gimmelean - Point number 2 seems to be missing from your self-assessment, but I'm assuming it is a YES, too, since you are nearly always solid with that behavior - in which case 10/10, right? :D
Gimmelean wrote:This MWL scientific, analytical approach feels so much better and is so much more effective than allowing myself to be swept into guilt, shame, and self doubt which I almost always did in the past and which never worked.
I very much identify with what you are saying here. I've certainly experienced some of those same, demotivating feelings in the past. Taking a behavioral approach, with consistent self-assessment and adjustment, without negative self-judgement feels liberating, right? Looking at "problems to be solved and strategies to be tried," rather than "things that are wrong with me" makes a meaningful difference, I think. :)

kirstykay - It seems like you are doing your best, given the circumstances, right? I'm happy you are starting to feel more like yourself again, Kirsty. May you have a full recovery, and fewer rough times, ahead. Take care and be well!

CUgorji22 - Another really good week, Chesca! I would imagine the confidence you are feeling is bolstered by the impressive list of victories you are accruing! Looking over your self-assessment, it seems to me you are really doing well combining a forward-looking view toward planning, including considering potential challenges and deciding upon actions, with a careful and consistent attention to preparation. You are definitely in a good groove!
CUgorji22 wrote:I put my starter at my place setting BEFORE dinner was served...before food/plates/utensils were placed on the table. The rest of the week was easy breezy. A couple times I sat down and completely forgot my starter was already waiting for me. Lol! I will continue to prepare my starter first then put it on the table before dinner is served.
I love this idea; thank you for sharing! You are definitely welcome to continue with this group for as long as you feel it serves you, even in a "maintenance phase." Often, the pattern of behavior needed to sustain a given outcome is the very same pattern of behavior that delivered that result. That said, there is also a Maintenance Support Group, with fairly regular "Check-ins," on the discussion board, if you would like to give it a look see. Have a fantastic weekend!
Mark Cooper

Summary for January 21 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:04 pm

Please note - I replied to reporting participants in the two posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for January 21 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for January 21 - Part 2

My congratulations! You've completed another week practicing the pattern of behavior recommended for MWL! Give yourselves some applause!

Some activities mentioned this week that seem pretty useful include:
moonlight wrote:Things I did this week that helped improve my behaviors: 1) I started making extra food at lunch and/or dinner and ate that for evening snack. 2) I was better at prepping food for the week. It was so satisfying and relieved stress. I have already begun the process for this next week.
VegSeekingFit wrote:If I am tempted by these food items, I will eat: finger food salad, frozen fruit, and either soup or rice or potatoes from refrigerator. These are all ready to grab.
thatsright75 wrote:The key for me has been having two different soups on hand and a salad already cut up and ready to eat in the fridge. Also, plenty of fruit on the counter to start a meal, end a meal, or control a craving. / Again, food prep here is key for me. I always have steel cut oats, baked potatoes, and brown rice cooked and available in my fridge or freezer. My theory on food prep is, "It's better to let food go to waste than to not have anything healthy ready to go when I get hungry." Frozen vegetables are my lifesaver. So much frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, string beans, etc. in my freezer that saves me every time.
josietheschnauzer wrote:I highly recommend using baby spinach in the salad instead of lettuce. I am relearning to take time to truly enjoy the salad instead of treating it like duty food. My salad dressing is fresh lemon juice and lots of Mrs. Dash’s salt free seasoning. As I believe Ms. Goose wrote, sometimes it is the flavor….using plenty of seasoning (for me) negates the need for salt or oil. In all fairness, this has been a journey, but I truly prefer lemon juice over any kind of dressing. I actually savor the taste of the vegetables. / I am setting achievable goals and accomplishing them.
Gimmelean wrote:An immersion blender is a must have gadget to make quick and easy soups safely. I made the zucchini soup and my whole family loves it. Adding quinoa and corn made the soup a full meal. By itself, it’s the perfect broth based starter.
CUgorji22 wrote:One thing I did that helped with the rest of the week was this: I put my starter at my place setting BEFORE dinner was served...before food/plates/utensils were placed on the table. The rest of the week was easy breezy. A couple times I sat down and completely forgot my starter was already waiting for me.
Chesca devised a great way to navigate her daughter's birthday celebration, and stay away from calorie-rich foods:
CUgorji22 wrote:Victory: (1) Meal planning really helps me adhere to this guideline. I know what I'm eating each day and I stick to it. I keep my family menu on my phone & refer it often to stay on track. (2) I have considerably reduced the amount of calorie-dense foods I bring into my home, which also helps. (3) My family enjoyed a special cake we ordered for my daughter's birthday. I ordered a small size to ensure they could eat most of it that day...I did not want cake hanging around for several days. I did not touch the cake; my husband cut it & served it to the kids. I did not eat one slice/piece/crumb of cake! YAY!!! It was completely gone the next day. (Thank goodness!)

If you would like some further reading, here are two articles from Jeff that feel appropriate to this week's discussion:

Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety

Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories

Treat yourself with kindness and love, do your best to have an AMAZING week to come, and take good care of yourself! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Aspen8 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:26 pm

wildgoose wrote:Just a thought on salt....
...However, if you’re struggling with overeating or really fighting cravings, you might consider doing the experiment of going 30 days with no added salt or sugar and just see how you feel.

Goose

Part of my "homework" for the next couple of weeks is to figure out if I have a "salt problem" or not. I love salt. I mean...LOVE. But in the past, I've been able to make cravings for salty foods go away gradually just by salting at the table if I "needed" it. I found a happy medium and it didn't cause me trouble past that. But the fact that I could do that 9 years ago when I first tried my hand at McDougalling doesn't mean I can do it now. Thank you for making me realize that my assumption that I can still handle salt might be wrong. Having said all of that, the thought of jumping right into a 30-day 100% salt-free experiment makes me want to cry. Lol. That might mean something....
Aspen8

Re: Mark's Replies for January 21 - Part 1

Postby Aspen8 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:In the past I have added a sprinkle of salt at the table; I would measure out 1/2 tsp into a little pinch bowl each morning, and just grab pinches from there to season my food - that way I always knew I wasn't exceeding an amount with which I felt comfortable. Also, just to clarify, whole grain pasta is an acceptable starch option within the guidelines, provided it is paired with an ample volume of non starchy vegetables, and taking into account the caveats Jeff mentions below.

Mark, this strikes me as a very helpful suggestion for me: a pre-portioned daily salt 'budget". If I prove over the next couple of weeks that I can live within that budget and feel satisfied, then I can feel reasonably assured that it's not a problem and I can even try to halve that if I want to. If I find out that it leads to cravings/other issues, then I'll know that I should try the 30-day salt-free experiment that Goose suggested.

Thank you also for the reminder that Jeff is okay with whole grain pasta. I'd forgotten that. I love to mix whole grain pasta with an equal amount of green beans or asparagus or zucchini "noodles". Putting that option back on the table helps a lot.
Aspen8

Re: Mark's Replies for January 21 - Part 2

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
VegSeekingFit - Despite this self-assessment appearing to be "materially the same as last week," Stephanie, I see you achieving 4 consecutive days of strict adherence as a very positive development. You achieved the recommended pattern of behavior, now it is just a matter of maintaining that trajectory by continuing to do what has worked, right? Probably helpful to try to anticipate any potential obstacles on the horizon, too. Awesome work staying active!

Hi Mark,

Yes -- 100%. Has helped to set a new pattern for me that I do intend to follow. Thank you --- as your suggestion to frame remediation step as an active statement has really helped.

My obstacles are really: keeping to that pattern (just say no to #5 and 7) and continuing to exercise even though conditions aren't ideal.

In the pre-pandemic times, I had some work food obstacles --- but I am still working remotely without a planned come back date.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program