The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Summary for January 7 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm

Please note - I replied to reporting participants in the two posts linked below.

Mark's Replies for January 7 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for January 7 - Part 2

Congratulations, everyone! That is our second check-in of the year done!

We had some effective and CREATIVE ideas for weather-accommodating exercise this week:
Noella wrote:I set up several different exercise areas in my home: One for aerobics, one for balance and one for strength. This is really helping during the cold weather we are having.
VegSeekingFit wrote:* This was the week where the weather shifted (BRR!!!) and I had to execute partial indoor exercise plan.
* Walked outside 3 days (yay!!) and exercised inside the other 3 days.
* In the spirit of the best exercise is the exercise that you will do, I have implemented "Pacing with a Purpose". This is walking around the house. Sounds pretty weird and isn't quite as fast as brisk walking (so as not to bump into furniture or walls). I have been able to incorporate this though, which has resulted in more daily steps than I would have thought possible. I am targeting average 8K steps for the week. (I logged over 10K steps one day this week indoor alone....)
* Have also done short stints on stationery bike and been walking up and down basement stairs.
* Joined a remote Zumba class (only the instructor is on screen) and have done a Leslie Sansone walk.
* Will watch the weather closely for opportunities to take it outside on a day by day basis. Otherwise, no way will I be sedentary.
No "exerscuses!" (Thanks for that, Gimmelean. :lol: )

Additionally, Chesca's report does a great job of demonstrating how one can stick to the program while traveling. Give it a read for a sense of just what is possible, with enough planning and thoughtful effort.

I want to encourage everyone to consider each point from the MWL 10-Point Checklist in a way that has utility and provides a realistic and useable view of your prevailing pattern of behavior. Did I or did I not adhere to this recommendation (at this meal / today / this week)? That specificity is helpful for knowing how to best focus one's efforts. Likewise, if you are having difficulty succeeding with a particular recommendation, please take the time to consider and layout what you will try to do to improve your adherence. The more clear and specific you can be about your intentions, the better you can determine what is or isn't working, and what WILL potentially help.

Here is a fantastic article from Jeff that, to me, really illustrates what we are trying to achieve with this group - The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits. Give it a read!

Best wishes for a successful week ahead! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2022 Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:30 pm

Thank you so much, Mark for your always impeccable advice (and patience... for instance, I know you've read the same such from me for weeks)!!!!

I appreciate the thread you linked to greatly (in your response to me)!!! Wishing I could make this new routine ("Pacing with a Purpose") work for every 30 minutes... Hmm... Maybe something to try (i.e., can I walk in a Teams meeting without people knowing??? ) !!! I do need to read all of the links from Jeff (only read the main)...

Also, thanks for setting up informal "Off-Topic" thread!!! Fellow participants... come interact informally!! Let's get to know each other / help each other. We can put the "TEAM" in Time and Adherence... :lol: If anyone needs moral support (not guideline / moderator guidance), I bet someone in the group may be willing / able to step in. We all have our highs and lows and we all are looking to comply with the same list. :)

Hope that everyone has a great week!!! We can all practice the 10 MWL guidelines in this safe space :arrow: get better and better at it and achieve our health goals. I firmly believe this.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby HappyinOregon » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 am

Missed the weekly reporting date but I wanted to post my new Ticket Factory Tracker before I forget how to do it. Had a great week and will make sure to post in time for next week.

HappyinOregon

Postby Noella » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:11 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Noella - Successful on all points; that is what I like to see! You should feel amazing! I think the exercise stations you mentioned are a really great idea. :thumbsup: This thread should answer all your questions regarding drinking water.
JeffN wrote:Drink when you're thirsty. Stop drinking when your thirst is quenched. Obey that one rule and there is no risk of dehydration.
JeffN wrote:Here is another way to look at it.

Most Americans eat foods that are very dry and concentrated in calories (refined carbs, sugars, flours, grains and highly processed and refined foods). They have a very low moisture content, averaging somewhere around 30-40%, with many refined processed foods as low as 3%.

On the other hand, fresh fruits and vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains, and legumes are around 70-90% moisture (water content).

Thanks for the information on water, Mark. It’s reassuring to know that extra water isnt required because whole food plant-based eating increases the fluid intake naturally with the comparatively very high water content of the foods we enjoy. What a relief to hear that the message of "8 glasses of water per day" isn't necessary at all and we can simply drink when thirsty. The MWL behaviours are so straightforward. Eat/drink when hungry/thirsty until satisfied. Perfect!

Thank you to Stephanie for the idea of starting an ‘off-topic’ MWL Time and Adherence support group and to Mark for setting it up. It is wonderful to know that we are not the only ones making healthy choices each day!
Noella
Noella

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:44 pm

I have read the updated changes to this group and I would like to join for the New Year. I know I'm late joining, but I just recovered from Covid and I am finally getting back to it. Looking forward to getting back into the groove and committing to MWL.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Drew*# » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi, I am also wishing to begin the New Year with a plan and path that is set out here. I have read the updates and look forward to the process...

Best,

Drew*#
Drew*#

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:27 pm

Welcome back, kirstykay and Drew*#! It's always a delight to see some old friends participating again. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 pm

Thank you, Mark, Jeff and Wildgoose for helping us in this forum. Your devotion and encouragement are priceless! Thank you for welcoming me back even though I've had many false starts is 2021. I am committing to turning theat around in 2022.

This quote from you from the Orientation materials, Mark, is everything! And I am taking it to heart, as well as welcoming your encouragement, support, and correction. My life depends on it!

Please remember, there is nothing magical that happens when you join this group and your name is added to the list. Jeff, wildgoose and I can offer accountability and support in terms of understanding and implementing the MWL guidelines, and your fellow participants provide a feeling of community; but, it is up to you to actually make these changes in your daily life. All the forum posts in the world won't have an effect on the outcomes we seek, without lasting changes in our daily pattern of behavior. Don't obsess over the minutiae; rather, direct your energy toward doing an excellent job at the fundamental principles. I can't promise that it will be easy, but I DO promise that it is worth it.

kirstykay

Postby Drew*# » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:15 am

Mark Cooper wrote:Welcome back, kirstykay and Drew*#! It's always a delight to see some old friends participating again. :D

It is great to be back Mark! Looking forward to the group postings! :-)
Drew*#

Postby BambiS » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:38 am

1/14

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
I bought a fruit bowl, now fruit is in one place and in sight.
I’ve make soup in my instant pot.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Most days
I still had vacation at home this week. I had a couple days that I didn’t get as much green/yellow vegetables, but did have soup, fruit and starch.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
I drink water daily, herbal teas, or Teeccino

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes
It is becoming habit now

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes
I had a few days I didn’t exercise with intent like usually on my Cubii, but did intense house cleaning, a lot of lifting and sweating.Lots of energy!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions

-1, -21 total since 11-7
Clothes are fitting looser and more comfortable now. I’m like the energizer bunny, I just keep going! I have so much more energy now.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES I have really appreciated the simplicity of just microwaving a bag of frozen veggies and using that as my half.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO I was great all week until yesterday. It was my daughter’s birthday and she has chosen to be vegan. The place she was originally planning to go to for lunch I would have had no problem skipping, but they ended up being closed and the place we ended up at has vegan milkshakes that I was not able to resist. I did bring my own food though and ate that with the milkshake and a few fries.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO The milkshake had peanuts.
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO The fries from the restaurant.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO The milkshake led to the fries which led to the cake.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO Again the milkshake.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO I ended up feeling overfilled after the birthday lunch.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I was sore this week as I’ve started doing squats with real weight and I’ve been adding on, but I stayed committed.

Overall I feel confident that with the support of this group and the birthday behind me I can get back on track. My other daughter has a birthday Sunday, but she doesn’t want anything vegan so that’s easier for me. Work has been really stressful lately so I just need to keep focusing on dealing with that through healthy choices not going back to old habits of coping with chocolate and Starbucks.
Rebecka22

Mark's Replies for January 14 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:02 pm

BambiS - All right! The energizer bunny! And clothes fitting more comfortably is a wonderful victory! It sounds like you've done several things to arrange an environment and routine that supports adherence. :thumbsup: Any other tools you have found to be particularly helpful?

Rebecka22 - Microwaving a bag of frozen veg is a great way to enable a 50/50 plate! Isn't it fascinating how those "vegan" temptations can be harder to pass by than more typical SAD fare? Give yourself credit for limiting the "exceptions" to that single meal, and bringing along your own adherent food for the birthday celebration. I can imagine that work related stresses feel especially burdensome right now; I think many of our day to day lives are feeling somewhat fraught at present.
Rebecka22 wrote:I just need to keep focusing on dealing with that through healthy choices not going back to old habits of coping
You've got that precisely right. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm

This is my first post for the new year. I am excited to be back on track. Although I has a slight hiccup this week with some unexpected dental surgery yesterday. I am only allowed soft food for the next 2 weeks. Still, I am determined to be as compliant as possible.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
YES. I can't have anything hot, but I can have warm broth.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
MOSTLY, but everything has to be basically pureed right now.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
YES

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
YES

6. Eliminate any added oil.
YES. No problem.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
YES This has become second nature.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
YES

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
YES. I haven't had much of an appetite.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
NO. I can't exercise until the doctor give me the ok.

I'm looking forward to healing and getting back to a more normal diet soon.

kirstykay

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Hello everyone...checking in.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 4/7, Did pretty well, especially with lunch and dinner. Breakfast, I started adding an extra fruit to my oatmeal and eating it first.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 6/7 the prepping helped with this. I made a bunch of starches before my husband got up, then an Italian vegetable soup for a preload, along with a starchier soup for the weekend dinners...raw vegetables, and I can't remember what else.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 5/7 These last two days were an issue. Lack of sleep Wednesday evening...this is frequently my 'undoing'.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 4/7 Some days this was just some non-dairy creamer (that contained milk?) but Thursday was worse.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 4/7 Day one, this was because I was using up some things from the freezer that were otherwise healthy. Thursday and today: bad behavior.

6. Eliminate any added oil. 2/7 Popcorn and other indiscretions. I finally threw away the popcorn.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 2/7 See above.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 5/7 Coffee w/creamer and one soft drink.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 6/7--Even though I did well, I still need to work on this. There were a few days I ended up hungry in the late afternoon, and then had to hurry to eat when I got home which affected #10.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 0/7: Procrastination, sleep, excuses and whining...

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Much room for improvement. I will schedule exercise in the morning starting Saturday. I hope this will help with sleep and avoiding the problem of being too starved for dinner and then too full to exercise. As I mentioned, I threw away the popcorn, it was a crutch.

I did a pretty good job prepping food last week, but even with that I was having to piece things together by Wednesday...so, more planning.
frowsyowl

Postby thatsright75 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:02 pm

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. I've been quite successful at this, although some meals I start with soup and I'm full before I ever get to my starch and vegetable.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Also doing well here except for when I just have soup for my whole meal.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. I feel better about this knowing that I am still being compliant without completely eliminating sugar and salt. My salt intake is greatly reduced and sugar is never added.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 100 % compliant

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%

6) Eliminate any added oil. 100%

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 100%

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 100%

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 100%

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I only exercised four days, but I feel good about doing something most days.

Comments: Down 2 lb this week, which was a bit disappointing after 6 lb last week. But I feel that if I am consistently sticking with these guidelines, I will see consistent results. Losing 6 lb a week is unrealistic, and 2 lb seems more sustainable. And losing 2 is better than gaining weight. I think I ate more fruit and less green/yellow vegetables this week, which may be part of the reason why my weight wasn't as responsive. However, my body fat percentage this morning was the lowest it's been in 18 months, so that's good news.
I'll continue onward! -Kali
thatsright75

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program