The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mark's Replies for March 11 - Part 2

Postby Noella » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:16 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I can totally understand what you are saying, about this feeling like a scary journey, sometimes. :nod: I think you are exactly right that the path through that fear is working toward self-efficacy and equanimity. In Jeff's post here, the linked review section discussing "Self-Efficacy Enhancement" has some great information and references to offer. Focusing on those 4 reasonable and proximal goals you describe seems like it is right in line with that. Something I personally find helpful is to get pretty specific about what I'm trying to achieve, within a given timeframe. E. g., today, I'm going to add cinnamon to my breakfast, curry powder to my lunch, and basil to my dinner (whatever spices you like and fit your situation). Or, I will stand up and walk around for ten minutes after every hour (or two, &c) of sitting at my desk. That makes it really easy for me to gauge my progress. I think anyone willing to commit themselves to this effort at behavior change, within the current societal context, is very brave. :nod:

Hi Mark,

I am glad to hear that your trip with your daughter went well.
Thank you for your suggestion to be more specific about what "I am trying to achieve within a given timeframe" will be very helpful.

Best regards,
Noella
Noella

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2022 Group

Postby George Ohwell » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:02 pm

from Mark
George Ohwell - Excellent adherence! What tactics or tools have you been applying to attain these weeks of success? Anything stand out as a real winning strategy for you? I don't think your approach to dinner with friends is at all unreasonable; if they find the request to taxing, as you say, you can always bring your own food along, right? In my personal experience, most people are pretty reasonable about this stuff if we can make it simple and easy for them.

Thank you. well, the answer is out of fashion these days but it's religion. I started going to church again after a long absence, and I want my focus to be on God and charity and not on food. MWL supplies a way to make the food easy. and when I'm suffering and feeling FOMO (fear of missing out) about food, I think about real suffering, and I laugh and accept mine. and I probably am just blessed with grace right now. Who knows how long it will last. maybe it will be gone tomorrow. but I'll take it while I have it. I've been successfully following MWL for about 2 months now. I want it to be my lifestyle.

I hope everyone makes good progress in their habits this week!

-Geprge
George Ohwell

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence!!!

Hope everyone is having an excellent week!!! :-D

Mark So glad that your family had a fantastic time in NYC!!!! Very cool to make those memories... I totally remember going with my parents to shows --- like My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, South Pacific... (a hundred years later... :eek: ) Hope that Posey loved her first taste of Broadway!!!

Wildgoose Thank you for phenomenal thread on finding equilibrium (and consciously making CHOICES)! So real, practical... lots of "food for thought"... forgive the pun. Seriously, have bookmarked and am thinking about. One thing that I have had in my own mind as someone who is "returning".... yes, you have to continue to do what you did in weight loss mode (maybe with minor adjustments) if you want to maintain. I envy those who have more self-control or ability to be moderate / faster metabolisms... but I really hear this --- don't do anything to lose a few pounds that you wouldn't keep up with forever. Very powerful stuff.

Noella Love your positivity in your checklist on how you enjoy many of the MWL checklist items. Awesome!!!

Every group member Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think we all have so much to learn from and relate to each other on this common journey!!! Keep going!!! :)

One thing that is challenging to me on the Behavioral Path to MWL Success, is the emotional side. I struggle with not feeling bad about myself when I am really trying (but not successful) at (some of) the 10 items. I am not sure that I am alone in this??? I like how we can practice (and everyone on this forum is KIND and ENCOURAGING)... all trying to get to the recommended behaviors. This makes a lot of sense to me and is very helpful. Sharing with the group --- in case it may help anyone else... I have been trying to find a way to laugh it off (while still trying!!), just to not feel down. Music is something that consistently makes me smile and I have created a silly playlist to sing when I am feeling stuck... Has been kind of fun screaming "I Will Survive" to my 5/7 issues (but pretty silly).

Does anyone have other ideas? I was thinking meditation, but I am not good at that either!!!

Take care,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:04 am

Mark Cooper wrote:squealcat - Getting out the checklist when things are feeling tough is always a sound strategy, Marilyn! I understand what you mean about disappointment transforming into a feeling of deprivation. Something else that possibly contributed: I imagine that potato veg scramble likely wasn't a very substantial portion, so you may not have felt very satiated for that reason, too. Registering and remembering that the "take-out food really didn't taste good" seems like important information to hold going forward.
squealcat wrote: I am thinking about eating at home next time I meet with my friends and maybe just have a fruit bowl and some tea. They really won't mind. I don't think I will either as long as I am not hungry.
Good plan; this is pretty much what I do when dining out, as well. Sometimes I will even bring along some cooked sweet potatoes from home to add to an order of salad, fruit or broccoli - nobody has ever complained. :-D

Mark, what you said about the potato veg scramble not being a very substantial portion hit me "BING !" in my brain !! Yes, that was exactly why I was not satisfied after eating with my friends ! It didn't really taste like what I would have prepared at home (not enough potatoes :) ) and it was just not enough which made me look around for something else ! Thank you so much for your words ! I DO find that when I am filled with starchy foods I don't need anything else fill me up and I am much more satisfied. Also haveing salad or soup before the meal really helps me to fill up and also get in more nutrients for the day.

Now I am off to get in my walk for the day. This helps me to feel calmer during the day and at the same time it gives me energy.
So thankful for this group !

Oh, I also printed up Wildgoose's comments about equilibrium . Wise words ! I will read them often !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Re: Mark's Replies for March 11 - Part 2

Postby Obadiah » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 am

Mark Cooper wrote:
Obadiah - When you wrote that you " 'had' to quickly eat two peanut butter sandwiches," do you mean that you suddenly felt ravenously hungry? Did you have adherent foods ready and easy to access, or were the sandwiches the quickest and simplest thing you could pull together? Depending on the context, eating more frequently or more food prep could be possible solutions. Of course, one nearly sure way not to eat peanut butter sandwiches is to have no peanut butter or bread in the immediate environment. ;-)

Mark,
When I get like this, I generally crave fat and salt. I had a blood test last week, and nothing was unusual. When I keep track, I'm around 500 mg salt and 7% or so of fat. If I drop below either, I can have trouble. Peanut butter and bread address both issues.

Eating out was a surprise last week. I brought food with me, but the appointment lasted extra time, which put me into the early Friday afternoon rush hour. I decided to stop rather than drive in traffic.

This week, I decided to go 3/4 of a plate of starch and 1/4 other good stuff. I'll have oatmeal on the odd-numbered meals (out of 6) to increase the fat percentage to about 10%.

Obadiah
Obadiah

Postby alishana » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:56 am

Hi ! My name is Alizée and I would love to join the group. I've read all the materials here and have known this way of eating for a few years. Reading all the member's posts of the months has been very helpful !

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, I've been focusing on that this week. I've mainly had soup and fruit. I just don't do it for breakfast. Should I ?
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Yes.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.
5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). I've had avocado when eating out.
6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, but I've been very hungry this week and it felt weird (and scary) to eat a lot.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes. I work out 3x/week and walk the other days.

This week I focused my energy on the 1st point. I made soup, bought soup and had fruits. It's still not an habit so I'm going to focus on this next week too. This week I also realized how much making things easy is important. I had frozen veggies, microwave rice, already made soup : so helpful ! I was very hungry this week and felt scared to eat a lot (even if part of my brain knows calorie density and knew that I was safe). Seeing a loss this morning made me happy. An other win for me this week is that I said no when offered chips, cakes, peanuts…
alishana

Postby BambiS » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:06 am

3/18
Mark, glad to see you back and had a nice time.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, no issues here.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes no problem

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, no problem here.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, I’m trying to be more mindful of this

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes
I met my daily steps goal, took a couple walks this week.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions
I had a nice loss this week, it made up for last week staying the same. I was more mindful of the 50/50 plate this week and it helped. I do like the starchy vegetables better, but can see the 50/50 works!
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES I stuck with my regular frozen veggies again this week.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES No problems this week!
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES No problems here this week either.
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES No eating out and nothing processed.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES A little easier this week.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES Was tempted, but the power of Lent makes those temptations just something to get through. Hopefully I can keep that after Lent as well.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES I feel like I’m doing better here. Adjusting some portion sizes as I don’t seem to need as much at times.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I continued to do well with this one.

Overall another good week. I think one thing that has really shifted is my focus on the weight. I am less worried about it and truly just embracing the behaviors. Also I think I’m kind of at equilibrium so I’m going to spend some time thinking about Wildgoose’s post and decide if I’m happy with that or if I want to make adjustments. I did lose this week, but that was after gaining last week and I’ve been basically in the same place since December. I hope everyone has a great week! Thanks for all the support.
Rebecka22

Postby Obadiah » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:24 pm

Noella,
Thanks for posting this link to a McDougall Moment back in January. There were a couple of bits of important information for me.
https://youtu.be/1udAyTEtT8k

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly yes.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
In the McDougall moment referenced above, Dr. McDougall states we can go as high as 2/3 starch. I just saw the video now. I'd independently decided to do this during the week.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
I don't add these.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
I believe in honesty, so, here goes. I had a Green Chile Slopper and fries on Monday. I was feeling woozy, and this is the only thing that sounded good.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). If I don't eat something high fat like peanut butter each day, I don't feel well. I think I need both the fat and salt.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes. Maybe there is some in peanut butter. There was added oil in Monday's meal

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No, as noted above.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
I don't

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I wasn't feeling well due to medication, so I didn't get much activity.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Concern: I know we aren't supposed to count calories, but I did a cursory analysis to see what's going on. According to my Fitbit, I burn about 2150 calories a day. From past experience, I know if I eat what the Fitbit says I lose about a pound a week. This means the Fitbit is underestimating. I lost 5.6 lbs during the last three weeks.

Not counting vegetables, here is what I need to eat each day to get 2150 calories:

400 grams potatoes
1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup uncooked beans
1 cup uncooked quick oats
3 bananas

This is a heap (pun intended) of food and more than I've been eating. This may explain the need for excursions. It's only going to get more difficult as this is the time of year I increase my exercise and burn about 2,800 calories a day indicated. It's probably over 3,000 real calories.

Obadiah
Obadiah

Mark's Replies for March 18 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:01 pm

alishana - Hi, Alizée! It is great seeing you posting again! I'm glad to have you joining the group, and you got off to a pretty great start this week. :nod: The importance of doing what you can to make adherence feel easy and attainable in the moment seems like a key realization. This post offers some context for applying the preload guideline (and the other guidelines, for that matter). I certainly understand how that change in the volume of food consumed can feel scary, many of us have some pretty powerful societal conditioning linking the idea of a healthy weight to a need for deprivation. Eating to satiety on adherent foods CAN feel very different and unfamiliar. Know that when you are eating the recommended foods, in the recommended fashion, you can feel free to eat until you feel comfortably full.
Mark Cooper wrote:It can take some time to feel confident about what feels "comfortably full" for you; when eating in accordance with MWL, the overall diet is calorie dilute, so often a much larger volume of food will still provide fewer calories than a "diet" that includes more calorie rich foods.
Politely declining that offer of chips, cakes and peanuts is DEFINITELY a win in my book. Keep at it!

BambiS - Woo-hoo! 10/10! Great effort. A nice, tangible reminder that the recommended behaviors DO WORK is always welcome when it pops up, right?

Rebecka22 - Another 100%, second week running! :thumbsup: Really focusing on and embracing the overall pattern of behavior seems like a really useful point-of-view to pursue. Thinking about how and why the "power of Lent" helps you to view temptations as "just something to get through" may be helpful for carrying that framework forward. Is there anything about that graceful, self-possessed approach that wouldn't apply to the rest of the calendar?

Obadiah - What is your current BMI? How much weight were you seeking to lose? Keep in mind that there is just no real, practical way to effectively count calories, for all the reasons Jeff discusses here. I would encourage you to take some time to consider whether pursuing MWL is congruent with the goals that feel most important to you right now, only you will know the answer to that; the regular McDougall program is always an option, and the Journal section of the discussion board is open to all.
Mark Cooper wrote:If one compares the MWL 10-Point Checklist to the 10-Point Checklist for the McDougall Program, they are remarkably similar. The differences for which the McDougall Program allows are meals comprising up to 90% minimally processed starches, and the allowances for LIMITED amounts of calorie dense foods and LIMITED amounts of higher fat plant foods. (Additionally, it omits the recommendation to begin meals with soup and/or salad and/or fruit.) So one must ask themselves, based on an honest appraisal of past history, current status, and health and weight loss goals, am I likely to be able to include limited amounts of these foods without making things harder on myself, or am I more likely to overeat these foods? What has typically happened in the past?

I'm not saying one particular path is right or wrong, but rather it will be most productive to decide what is attainable for you at present, and work assiduously toward achieving the changes that are appropriate.

The lengthy thread on Compliance on a Healthy Diet provides a fuller picture of important ways one can set themselves up for success. Near the end of that thread, Jeff provides some valuable recommendations.
I feel like you and I have similar personalities, and I wanted to share this post; I think it might speak to your experience. Keep in mind that "tracking" offers, at best, a very blunt and imprecise picture of our actual reality, as lived. I think you might find the story of George Sanders to be inspiring. I certainly found it so. If you decide that the context and expectations of this group are in alignment with your goals, and you find yourself still committed to pursuing the pattern of behavior that is the focus of this group, you are welcome to continue here; if following a different path makes more sense to you at present, that is understandable, and there are no hard feelings. In either event, I'm wishing you the very best results! :)
Mark Cooper

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Another good week. I don't know what's gotten into me. This is week 8 of eating reasonable amounts of MWL foods. I'm pretty much at goal weight, but I don't want to change anything for fear I will go off plan. In a few weeks or month, if I find I'm underweight, I'll have to change something. I'll wait until then to worry about it.
George Ohwell

Postby carwex » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:44 pm

Hi Mark and friends,

I had a unsuccessful week re the MWL and was so busy last week that I missed my report as well as everyone else's.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES except I had some traditional pastries for the holiday being celebrated here.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). NO Had some tastes of these.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO I served avocado and tahini to the guests and ate it.
6. Eliminate any added oil.NO there was oil in what I ate
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO I served bread to guests and I ate it.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO a few times I stuffed myself
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES walked a lot showing my guests around.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I had good friends staying with us for 2 weeks. First week was ok but second week was just too much for me and I had a lot of slips. Fortunately they left on Wednesday but it has taken me 2 days to get back on track. I am feeling much better now that I am complying with the MWL . The scale does not register a weight gain but it’s still demoralizing. What can I do for the future? I am thinking that as much as I like to invite people to stay with us, it might be better to put an upper limit of one week for guests. My daughter will be coming in May but I think that family has got to be the exception. She herself is plant based and can cook well so I will also enlist her help and not take all the cooking responsibilities on myself. Feeding people seems to be inherently dangerous for me - except with my husband. Anyone able to relate to this problem?

With guests out of the way I am facing the challenges of the big move. Have made a long list of what needs to be done and by what date. I am feeling energized and hopeful. A good week of MWL compliance will surely add to my spirits.
Now to read all of comments from members of this group which i have missed in the last week.
Carol
carwex

Postby Noella » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi Mark,
I'm trying not to eat so much fruit and instead eat green and yellow non-starchy vegetables. After a fair bit of entertaining in the past week and a few too many tastes of non-MWL foods, such as raisins and figs, I believe I am caught back in the pleasure trap. The natural sugar and tanginess of fresh fruit are helping me stay away from more calorie-dense dried fruits. The fact remains that I am overeating fruit each day. Also, I'm not exercising nearly enough. I am trying to follow your suggestion to "get pretty specific about what I'm trying to achieve, within a certain timeframe," which is helping.
Mark Cooper wrote:...Something I personally find helpful is to get pretty specific about what I'm trying to achieve, within a given timeframe. E. g., today, I'm going to add cinnamon to my breakfast, curry powder to my lunch, and basil to my dinner (whatever spices you like and fit your situation). Or, I will stand up and walk around for ten minutes after every hour (or two, &c) of sitting at my desk. That makes it really easy for me to gauge my progress...
Thank you for this tip.
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :nod: [color=#4080FF] I often have a piece of fruit and salad. I am overeating on fruit, though, and I know I have to reel this in. :roll:

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :nod: I plan my meals by selecting a starch, then decide on the side vegetables that suit. Lunch today was a salad, baked potatoes topped with sautéed mushrooms and garlic with a side of lacinato kale and green peas followed by fresh mango and pineapple for dessert.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.:nod: I'm trying to use less salt and condiments with salt. For extra flavour, I use a sprinkle of an herb and salt mix I put together to help me use less sodium (1 part each of Seasonello iodized Sea Salt, Chef's Shake, Mrs. Dash Original, and Nador Moulin Rouge Seasoning For Chefs).
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :roll: I do not often miss eating meat, poultry, eggs, fish or shellfish. I can cook these for others and not eat them myself. Sweet dairy desserts are pleasure trap foods for me. This week I made the mistake of making a dairy dessert for our guests. I mistakingly thought I could make and serve this without tasting it myself, but I couldn't. I am learning from my mistakes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).:nod:
6. Eliminate any added oil.:nod: Today, I sauteed mushrooms and minced garlic without added oil. I used a huge skillet, so the mushrooms had lots of room, and I made sure that the pan was good and hot. I added a tbsp. or two of water on three occasions as I stirred continuously. It worked out very well! Perfectly cooked, brown and flavourful! Delicious! At the table, I added a bit of the spice mix I mentioned for MWL point #3.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :duh: I had a handful of raisins in my porridge one morning...they are SO intensely sweet! I usually have frozen berries or fresh sliced grapes or apples.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).:nod: [color=#4080FF] I drink water or water with a splash of lemon or lime juice. sometimes herbal tea, but that is quite rare.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until comfortably satiated. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself. :roll: Occasionally I overeat. I need to be more mindful and aware. This is better than when I started, but It's a journey, and I am still trying to be more aware of this.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :roll: I need to move more. I want to move more, I do. I tend to procrastinate and put exercise off, favouring sedentary activities such as sitting at my desk reading and writing about the many benefits of moderate exercise instead of doing some.

I'm going to cotinue my focus with #2, #3, and #10:
More Vegetables! More non-starchy veggies. Less fruit. MWL Guideline #2
More Herbs and Spices!Less sodium. MWL Guideline #3.
More Movement!Less sitting. MWL Guideline #10;

Best regards,
Noella
C.W.: 150 lbs.
Last edited by Noella on Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
Noella

Postby squealcat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:22 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: I am still doing ok with this but think maybe I haven't had quite enough veggies at dinner time
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown: I will work on this one for this coming week
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup: I add salt before eating but need to include more herbs and spices to up the flavor
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown: oh no ! That peanut butter again !
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown: I don't cook with oil but it is bread and what I put on it ....
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown: bread a couple times this week
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup: I over did it a couple times this week
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: Still walking and doing essentrics a few times a week. Getting outdoors a little too !

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I have been thinking a lot about Wildgoose's writings on equilibrium. I am not doing real good with that stuff as my weight is staying the same. This is NOT what I want. I have probably 50 more pounds to lose so I need to change a few things ! I am not gaining though so am thankful for that ! :nod: I am also thinking about what you said about getting specific about what I want to achieve. Yes, change is in order here and certainly staying away from bread and getting more veggies in at dinner will help. My meals are basically good but it is the slip-ups late afternoon that are keeping me from my health goals. I didn't do my checklist most the of week either so all this is "feeding" my thoughts today. So, I will work on that 50/50 plate and get busy doing other things and not eating during the late afternoon. If I am truly hungry, there is always raw veggies and cooked yellow potatoes in my fridge.

-squealcat (Marilyn )
squealcat

Postby josietheschnauzer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:50 pm

MWL Check List for 3/18/2022
In a rush this week. No bad food choices—I do think I am eating too much but will try to focus on this issue this week. Am I hungry? Am I tired? Am I thirsty? Am I anxious or angry? My goal is to ask myself these questions before, during, and after eating to see if I can tell the difference!
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit: Yes.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals: Yes.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. Yes.
4. Eliminate all animal foods: Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: Yes.
6. Eliminate any added oil: Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products, popcorn and dried fruit: Yes.
8. Don't drink your calories: Yes
9. Eat when hungry & until comfortably full. Don't starve and don't stuff: Yes, maybe?
10. Include 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily: Yes, I walk every day at 5am.
I have completed eleven weeks on MWL in 2022. I lost 1.2 pounds last week for a total loss of 14.2 pounds in eleven weeks.
josietheschnauzer

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program