The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - June 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re:The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - June 2022 Group

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:04 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES This continued to be a habit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES I am committed to this one so it’s easier for me.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES I am good here.

I had a successful week. I do think I’m going to need to do some more mental work to deal with summertime cravings. There are so many situations that come up when I’m off for summer that will require diligent planning and effort. But I can’t wait for school to be out and to have more time. One more week! I hope everyone has a great week.
Rebecka22

Postby Artista » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 pm

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  Almost. There was just one meal I forgot to start with soup, salad, or fruit. I usually eat a selection of raw vegetables as a preload, sometimes salad.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7 I missed one day of exercise.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
There was one day when I was super busy and I forgot to preload one meal on that day and ran out of time to exercise. Otherwise, this was a good week as far as following the 10 points. I’ve felt lately like I wasn’t losing weight, maybe even gaining weight. I weighed myself this morning and my weight was up slightly from what it was about 2 weeks ago which made me panic at first but then I realized that I’m still 2.4 lbs. less than when I started MWL in Mid-May. I’ll see how my weight changes in another 2 weeks or a month. I don’t want to weigh too often or think too much about a goal weight. I think I just need to stay the course and I will eventually arrive at the weight that is right for me. I knew it would be a slow process so, as long as I’m not miserable while on the journey, I’m willing to be patient. I think of it more as this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life and the weight is just a side issue. I may try to increase the amount of exercise I do to 45 or 60 minutes a day. I think that will be good for overall fitness as well as weight loss.
Artista

Postby squealcat » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:48 pm

My youngest son's wedding is past now (it was 4 weeks ago already !). I held on and ate pretty well up until that date and then I had a lot of trouble once again. I went back to old ways and started to look around for other ways to eat and lose weight. Why do I do that ???? I know better but alas, I am human and am not perfect. I am starting back up in this group and will report fully next weekend. I will be reading other's thoughts and also look forward to reading what Wild Goose has to say !

This week I will get my MWL checklist out again. I will keep away from Facebook and other sites that distract me. I need to keep it simple. I have books to read and my Zentangle drawing to do !

One thing I have kept up is walking. I almost always walk 3 miles on most days and it really keeps my in a good mood and gives me energy. I am thinking of adding another mile later in the day for a couple days a week. Wish I could get my eating to be so automatic ! :nod:

Anyway, see you next week !
squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:13 am

MWL Post for week ending 6/11/2022

Hello Everyone!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Not entirely- mostly.

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Not entirely-mostly.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. Walking, swimming, yoga, strength training 2x per week. All consistently

Victories,Comments,Questions,Challenges:
This week I had mostly yeses with conscientious no’s. I don’t just let go anymore and make an intention to fix it tomorrow or Monday. I know what will get me into trouble and how to deal with it without consuming guilt at least for the time being knowing all too well that those feelings can come back. Just like managing what I choose to eat , managing the emotional up’s and downs of wl are so important in maintaining self efficacy. I’ve been thinking more and more about that concept since you recently revisited it and have made it point 11 on my personal checklist! This week we had a catered event at work and I was thrilled that there were choices for me too. I avoided the desserts and the ice cream truck and felt better about not scarfing them down rather than disappointment of missing out. In retrospect, I really have made very positive changes.
Have a good week! Jeff knowing how all- knowing you are, following this new link must be a secret test ;-)
Gimmelean

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:58 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence! :-D

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:) Yes.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
:) Yes - all meals.
I do still continue to make the same things as posted last week.
In this warmish weather, I really love the concept of Mexican 50/50 plate or Mexican salad.
I make a pot of Mary McD crock pot beans (this week was pinto beans) with a lot of extra onions and a bit of hot sauce.
Then, either: 50/50 bean + rice with tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, bell pepper OR same veggies with beans on top and NSA salsa and / or taco sauce. Super delicious and easy!
Also, have been loving Farmers Market blueberries with white fleshed nectarines.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:) Yes, reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:| Mostly. I had one slip (usual suspect) and paired it with #7. Have tweaked a bit my remediation plan here and am now actually plating a night time snack just in case to head this off. For instance, after dinner I decide what would be my snack - usually mug of soup OR potato slices and fruit. I would only eat the snack if hungry. Otherwise, will be part of next day's meal.
This has headed off potential additional non-compliant episodes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
:nod: YES. I do not even like oil.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:| Mostly. See #5.

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:) Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:) Yes. I didn't stuff or starve.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :)
* 6/7 days walked (1 day was a rainout and I had a lunch appointment...)
* Averaged 11.9K steps / day (even with the slothful day...)

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I am focusing this month on: 1) Eat only the recommended foods, 2) 10K average steps / day and 3) Relax (and enjoy!!) ... Tracking these 3 items each night to stay focused. One of these days I will be able to do 1) on auto-pilot, but that day hasn't come yet!

Mark, wishing you safe travels and a positive week.

Gimmelean, you cracked me up with... "following this new link must be a secret test..." :lol:

Hope that everyone has a wonderful week. Keep going!!!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow." - Helen Keller

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: Hennie's MWL Journal

Postby Noella » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:19 am

Hello Everyone! I hope you are all doing better at following MWL than I was over the past ten days:

1) Start each meal with a soup and salad, and fruit.
Yes. :-D This is a happily established habit. Yay for this!

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes. :-D Yay! This is also going very well. It makes shopping and meal planning straightforward.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can stop them.
No. :eek: Salt and sugar were a challenge this week. I overindulged in both.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
No. :eek: some dairy products were included in high-calorie foods. See #7 below.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes. :-D

6) Eliminate any added oil.
No. :eek: four restaurant meals and #7, below

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
No. :eek: I entered the danger zone with a taste, and then another...

8 ) Don’t drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
No. :eek: I had two non-MWL adherent beverages. I didn't even enjoy them. Sparkling water with a wedge of lime tastes more refreshing!

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. :-D

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :-D Lots of walking at the seaside.

We were away on holiday for ten days, and just like Marilyn described her son's wedding, I, too, have struggled to adhere to the MWL guidelines through several special social events that placed lots of very tempting non-MWL foods directly into my world. It surprised me that I seemed to throw all caution to the wind and taste some. I know better. I had planned to follow the checklist with 100% adherence during our time away; in fact, I had mistakenly thought this trip would be a perfect opportunity to delve even deeper into my commitment to MWL and that I would eat even more healthily with an abundance of starches and farm-fresh veggies while enjoying extra family time, sunshine, fresh air and exercise. But it didn't go that way. Over the past ten days, it was cold, rained non-stop, the farm market was closed due to the weather, and I've been surrounded by non-adherent calorie-rich, highly processed treats that combine salt, sugar and oil. My family, particularly my husband and my daughter's husband, got into 'holiday mode' and kept buying beverages and treats that tempted measure. Then after having a t, after a taste, I didn't stay on the MWL course.

One thing I did manage to keep up, even with the heavy rain, was my daily walking. My knees are complaining, though, and I'm hoping this will settle soon if it's related to the extra salt, oil and sugar that got back into my diet for those days. Mark's comment from last week comes to mind:
Mark Cooper wrote: Another thing that has helped me has been decoupling the idea of social interaction from its attachment to food; I try to focus on what I want out of a social engagement - in my case, that is connection, compassion and comradeship, not a meal.
I am trying to decouple the idea of social interaction from its attachment to food and focus on what I want to give and receive from social engagement; like Mark, I want connection, compassion and comradeship, not just a calorie-rich and processed meal, treat, or beverage!

Best regards to everyone!
Noella

My June focus is to decouple the idea of social interaction from its attachment to food; to try to focus on what I want out of a social engagement: connection, compassion and comradeship, not a meal.

Noella

Postby squealcat » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:53 am

I like Stephanie's "Remediation plan " idea. Putting together a few "go to" snack items for those times when I am tempted to indulge in richer foods is a great idea ! In my little remediation bowl would be cooked potatoes , mustard and cucumbers for sure ! Having those set aside is a great idea ! My tough time is mid-afternoon. Oatmeal and fruit would work too !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Reporting for June 11 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby wildgoose » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Wildgoose replies and summary, June 11

Postby wildgoose » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:35 pm

BambiS — Great to see all those "yeses"! Congratulations on the great week. Don't worry, keep your focus on the behavior and the weight loss results will come. A week of the weight staying the same is not necessarily a bad thing. Since you had a "nice loss" last week, your body may just be adjusting. Onward to next week!

Rebecka22 — 10 out of 10, good job! Do you have a strategy for dealing with summertime cravings? I find that when I have more time on my hands, it's easy to drift into thoughts of food (particularly off-plan food), even when I'm not really hungry. Your idea for doing some mental work ahead of time is a good one. Be prepared before the cravings hit. Enjoy your well-deserved summer break!

Artista — 6/7 on #10, one meal off on #1, perfect on the rest -- Nice! Raw veggies can work well as a preload for me too. The weight "gain" could be due to any of several temporary factors: higher sodium/salt intake than usual, a particularly heavy meal (even a compliant one) the day before weighing, etc., etc. The important thing, as you noted, is the overall trend, which is still downward. Remember, exercise is only one part of the overall picture for weight loss. In itself, it doesn't contribute significantly to a drop in weight, but it does, as you pointed out, contribute to overall fitness and well being. Jeff has done an excellent in-depth discussion about the Exercise Paradox that may be of interest.

squealcat — Welcome back, and I'm glad you made it through the wedding successfully. You've had trouble in the past when the siren song of Facebook recipes and other programs have lured you into temptation. I 100% agree with your strategy for keeping it simple and engaging in other activities to keep away from online distraction. Automating eating can be like automating walking. Get really good at preparing a few compliant things that you really like, so you can practically make them in your sleep. Prep as much in advance as you can. Put eating on auto-pilot. You may miss the variety, but tell yourself you're doing an experiment to see if you can get back on track and in a good groove. Variety can come later.

Gimmelean — I get the "conscientious no's" and know that you're trying to keep them to a minimum. Not letting one "no" turn into the rest of the day of "no's" or a weekend of "no's" that you will try to fix on Monday (and you know how lousy you'll feel by then, physically and emotionally!) is important, so I'm glad you pointed it out. Good for you to avoid those bombshells at the catered event, and to feel better about your success than disappointed about missing out. I got a chuckle about Jeff's "secret test" -- as, I'm sure, did he.

VegSeekingFit — Only one slip and one day off exercise is still an outstanding report! And you tweaked your remediation plan right away to compensate, which is exactly what you should be doing. Assess, evaluate, plan, act -- to "head off non-compliant episodes." That's the whole idea, and you have it down well. By the way, if a non-exercise day when it's raining and when you had a lunch appointment is "slothful," then I'd better change my name from Wildgoose to Wildsloth :).

Noella — That's why they call it the pleasure trap, unfortunately. And it got you. It's happened to all of us, and you're doing the right thing in renewing your commitment to get right out of the trap and back on track.
My June focus is to decouple the idea of social interaction from its attachment to food; to try to focus on what I want out of a social engagement: connection, compassion and comradeship, not a meal.

I couldn't have said it better. It's hard to do, but a very worthy goal. My strategies for that include keeping a compliant glass of ice water or sparkling water in my hand and never sit close to a bowl of anything tempting. How about you -- have you come up with any useful ideas to help you toward your goal?

At this point, Mark would make a summary and interject some cogent observations and words of wisdom. I don't know how good I am at those, but I see a theme here.

It's summertime (at least in this hemisphere), and social activities are increasing. Our lives may be less structured, too. People are in and out of our environment, and things may not be as "clean," food-wise, as we'd like them to be. Schedules can get hectic, and more things are out of our individual control.

Most of you have discussed how important planning is in overcoming these obstacles. I totally agree. The more you plan, the fewer problems you will have. And any problems you do have can be useful too -- to lead to more strategies and better planning for the next time. This does get easier. The constant, tiring focus on food and behavior becomes more and more automatic as time goes on. Time and adherence, remember?

Here's my Goose Story for the week. There is a tie-in, I promise...

I am on Day 15 of Month 1 of 18 months (at least) of Invisalign treatment. For those of you not familiar with this, Invisalign is a brand of removable plastic orthodontic aligners that will move my teeth and adjust my bite. They're an alternative to conventional braces. My dentist gave me a choice -- fix a badly misaligned bite with orthodontics or have every tooth in my mouth crowned. I reluctantly went off to the orthodontist, and here I am with Invisalign.

The important part of this story for our purposes is that with Invisalign, you have to be very disciplined about the amount of time you wear them. You can't eat or drink anything but water with them in, and you have to clean your mouth and the aligners carefully every time you remove them to eat and then put them back in. You must wear them at least 22 hours per day, so total time out for eating, brushing, flossing and aligner cleaning can't exceed 2 hours in a day.

So how do I deal with MWL eating, particularly the idea of Checklist Point #9? Eating whenever I am hungry might not be quite so easy with Invisalign.

This new way of life has put my focus on eating and dental hygiene. It's tiring to have to concentrate so much on food and teeth and these little plastic trays that I have in my mouth for 22 hours a day. Just as tiring as it was when I started the McDougall program and MWL. I want to be perfect, and I get frustrated with myself when I'm not perfect. I read every blog and social media post I can find to get more and more ideas (yes, Marilyn, I understand your quandary). And I want to throw up my wings in frustration sometimes.

Enter the planning process. Just like we're all doing here. I can plan around my orthodontics the way we all plan around issues in our lives. I like a schedule of 2 meals a day. So, I can plan for brunch and an evening meal. Plan on enough to eat so I won't get hungry, but don't stuff myself (still working on that one). No snacks (totally not worth it!), no liquid calories (not a problem with Checklist Point #8). Avoid or minimize eating out (believe me, taking out my aligners in a restaurant is not something I want to do). Have the right kind of foods ready and available. Use familiar ways of cooking that I can reproduce flawlessly and automatically (no tasting anything with the aligners in, so no strange new recipes!).

I can do this. Even in a couple of weeks, the behaviors are getting to be more automatic. I make choices and plan ahead. I learn from mistakes (there are plenty of them). I learn when circumstances are likely to change and adapt my eating accordingly (there are times when my teeth hurt, thus raw veggies won't work, so I eat soup instead). It's getting better for me.

MWL is a habit. I don't fall out of compliance very often, and when I do, I know how to get right back in the groove. MWL with Invisalign is going to get to be equally habitual -- with time and adherence. I'm hoping for the same good results with my teeth as I have had with weight loss and management, using the same behaviors and strategies that work for us in this group.

Hope all of you have a wonderful and successful week. Thank you for your patience in Mark's absence.

Goose
wildgoose

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - June 2022 Group

Postby Noella » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:40 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:I was thinking about the 10 Point Checklist this week --- and I am super-motivated to continue!! Why??? I feel pretty TERRIFIC!!! I stated early on that I will do this for the long haul ---- and it is reinforced!! (Why, would I switch foods to not feel terrific??? ) So, keeping on !

Thank you Stephanie,
Your enthusiasm is encouraging and contagious!
Noella

Postby Sherrens » Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi my names Sherren, have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group.
I'm already no animal products and this by itself was always enough to keep me healthy however now I'm post menopause I need to make more changes to stay well I'm hopeful that MWL and this accountability group will help.
Nice to meet you all :)
Sherrens

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Wildgoose, Thank you so much for your support this week!! :-D

Enjoyed your Goose Story and how you tied it into the weekly planning and preparation theme. Wishing you the best as you move forward with the Invisalign / MWL combo... Sounds challenging, but you are doing it!

Also, your :) comment on my #10 made me realize that I still have a ways to go in improving positive self-talk... ;-)

Welcome, Sherren!

Hope that everyone has a starchy and sunshiny week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby wildgoose » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:57 pm

Sherrens wrote:Hi my names Sherren, have completed orientation and would like to be added to the group.
I'm already no animal products and this by itself was always enough to keep me healthy however now I'm post menopause I need to make more changes to stay well I'm hopeful that MWL and this accountability group will help.
Nice to meet you all :)

Hello Sherren, and welcome to the group. We'll look forward to your first assessment next Friday.

Goose
wildgoose

Postby Chumly » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:01 am

I did a lot of traveling with my car this weekend. I'm sorry to say a slipped up a fair amount and ate off plan several times. It's definitely more difficult to stick to the plan when I'm tired, fatigued and hungry. I am back on plan now but I will be flying up to Syracuse, NY to visit family Thursday-Tuesday. It will be stressful and I will have to navigate a toxic food environment. I'm planning to purchase some food when I get off the plane and be prepared to cook my own food and stay on plan.

Michael
Chumly

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:07 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'd like to join you again if you'll have me. I'll keep it short, but I went to my doctor today and my weight and my A1c are both up from last time. She told me to get back to basics and do what I know works...McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss!

In typical form for me, I've spent the first part of 2022 looking for a way to do it "faster and easier" than MWL. Once again, I am sorry I've wasted my time. My doctor is right! Nothing beats MWL for weight loss or health. So, with my tail between my legs, I'd like to make a commitment to this WOE and this group. This time I won't be distracted looking for the grass that always seems greener on the other side of the fence. :oops:

I've printed off the checklist again and put it on my fridge so I see it everyday. I have also printed out some MWL recipes and am looking forward to trying some new dishes as well as old favorites. One thing I know I need to do is to establish a few "go-to" things to make and eat regularly to simplify this transition and make it stick. I'm open to any suggestions for what has worked for you all to keep you on track, satisfied, and motivated on this journey.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program