Will the calorie deficit become easier over time?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Will the calorie deficit become easier over time?

Postby a-great-hunger » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:13 pm

I'm hungry, grumpy, and headache-y, all sure signs that I'm in a caloric deficit. Will these symptoms attenuate over time and will it become easier to reduce caloric intake over time? I've already eaten quite a few calories (compliant foods) and still feel poorly.
a-great-hunger

Re: Will the calorie deficit become easier over time?

Postby Ejeff » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:04 am

When I first started this program several years ago, I don’t recall feeling grumpy or having headaches. For me it was the opposite, I had found a way to eat where I didn’t have to go hungry or deprive myself in any way.

Perhaps the headaches are because you are not drinking enough water?

If you were willing to log you food for a few days and share with the forum, we might be able to provide better guidance. One of the guidelines is eat when hungry, so if you are feeling hungry just eat. Make sure your plate is 50% starch and 50% vegetables.

If you have recently stopped eating junk food and SAD foods you could be going through a bit of a detox, but that shouldn’t last more than a few days.

Hang in there, it’s worth the great health you will experience with time and adherence!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby a-great-hunger » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:28 pm

Typically, I have at least one salad a day with a can of beans (garbanzo). The salad is 8 oz. spinach and some miscellaneous stuff: red cabbage, onion, carrots, tomatoes. Dressing is balsamic vinegar.

I will usually have steamed vegetables once or twice per day, too. An example meal is one pound steamed Brussels sprouts, one can beans. If I'm really hungry, I'll add a sweet potato to it.

Usually I am still hungry. Another sample meal is 1 cup cooked quinoa plus one cup blueberries (with steamed vegetables).

Soups are commonplace with lots of broth and cruciferous vegetables.

This is still not a sufficient quantity of food to satiate my hunger, so I usually eat several potatoes after dinner until full satiation. If I do not eat to satiation, I will wake up hungry in the evening and ruin my sleep--which is pretty not great for weight loss!

Unfortunately, satiation keeps me a bit chunkier than I'd like.

The only way I've lost weight previously is by eating roughly 4+ pounds of non-starchy vegetables in a day, which, frankly, seems preposterous financially and is unsustainable long-term. I know Chef AJ does this and basically eats according to MWL guidelines to maintain her weight, but I cannot realistically do so.
a-great-hunger

Postby JeffN » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:25 pm

Sounds like you are following advice & guidelines that we do not recommend. And the reason we do not recommend them is they result in the very problems you are experiencing.

Do an experiment.... for the next 3-6 months, commit to following the MWL guidelines as laid out in the 10 Point checklist, posting each week in the monthly thread and follow the suggestions the moderators recommend in fine tuning things if needed.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby a-great-hunger » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:19 pm

I am uncertain where I am failing in this regard.

Starting each meal with vegetables and then a starch, exercising daily, limiting fruit and fat intake - where am I missing things?
a-great-hunger

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi Again A-Great-Hunger,

Wanted to post following for you in case you missed it: (if you are up to taking up JeffN experiment... what do you have to lose?)

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 4w#p578019
Link to JeffN MWL Checklist --- if you follow this, you will see where your current eating pattern may not be working for you...

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 11&t=61210

Link to Mark Cooper post on the MWL / Time & Adherence Group Orientation Information--- what are expectations and how it works

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... QuNDguMC4w

Link to Mark Cooper journal --- who is a rock star in moderating Time & Adherence Group and has followed MWL Checklist for years... IF you go farther in, he has pictures of his food. He also calibrates his day with this checklist .... and is YEARS successful!

Observational opinion from me... In the time that I have been in this group, I have seen many folks succeed. From what I see, they try to follow this Checklist as written (don't count calories or vegetable weight)... and also are very positive. Like we enjoy what we do and who we interact with!!! :-D

Wishing you the best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Matcha » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:11 am

Hi Stephanie, :-D

excellent post!!

Thanks to Mark Cooper's food pictures! It's easier to show people the food rather than just explaining it, or telling them to read a book. I always wondered how much a man should eat on this WOE, trying to get the men in my life to eat more healthier is impossible. I wonder if it take a certain type of personality.
Matcha

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:16 pm

Matcha wrote:Hi Stephanie, :-D

excellent post!!

Thanks to Mark Cooper's food pictures! It's easier to show people the food rather than just explaining it, or telling them to read a book. I always wondered how much a man should eat on this WOE, trying to get the men in my life to eat more healthier is impossible. I wonder if it take a certain type of personality.

Hey Matcha! :)

I am super thankful for Mark's pictures!!! They have helped me a ton!!! I know volume, etc. of food would vary by person / size / individual circumstances. I use scale to check my own status... so now I don't worry about volume of food (MWL recommended)... but it is super helpful to see pictures!!!

Good luck with getting your guys to eat more healthy!!! I go with adding veg, fruit, bean, other minimally processed starch... and then go from there. Agree that it may "take a certain type of personality"...

Keep going!!! :-D

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby a-great-hunger » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Thanks for the links. I am still struggling with satiety. Yesterday, I ended up eating roughly 4 lbs. of non-starchy vegetables with my starches. That feels excessive but hopefully it will lessen over time.
a-great-hunger

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program