The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - December 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - December 2022 Group

Postby Greens » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:46 am

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes :)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling up to half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Yes :)

2) Choose fruit for desert. No :( for Christmas I made a ginger applesauce cake. It was regular McDougall compliant but not MWL.

3) Greatly reduce of eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No :-( There was the cake and we had a meal out at Japanese restaurant. I was really puffy the day after that.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No :roll: There was a cashew sauce on the potato/green bean casserole on Christmas.

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes :)

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No. :( White sourdough with the chewy crust calls to me. We had some at Christmas dinner and with a spinach/artichoke dip for hors d’oeuvres. The sliced bread my husband has out doesn’t call to me like this does. It even calls asking for fatty toppings…. I still have some in the freezer which slows me down but it needs to leave the house today.. Too enticing.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No :oops: Christmas wine and cocktail.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes :)

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7 Spinning is helpful with the weather. I like ticking that one off the list and can watch something on YouTube so the time goes by quickly.

Time and adherence. Thank you all for your thoughtful posts and links. Happy New Year. :-D
Wins: Compared to Christmas past not getting into the Sees chocolates is a huge win. I was able to send it home with others and my husband kept his away. I’m not to the point that not having some of festive holiday traditional indulgences would make me feel left out somehow. But was happy that those were time limited. Kind of like Christmas decorations, love when they go up and the house looks all festive. Love when taking them down and the house looks less cluttered.
Greens

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:57 am

Hello fellow Time & Adherence Travelers! On this final day of 2022 I just want to express my deep gratitude for Mark, Jeff, Team McDougall, and everyone here who participates in this thread week in and week out - a little or a lot. I absolutely tried to become a McDougaller on my own, and I could not do it. The 12-Day Program was instrumental in getting me started for real. But this thread and this group has become a vital part of what keeps me going, especially when the going gets tough. And I would also venture to say that if I drift away from my support systems including this group, then the going will definitely start to get tough! An infinity loop! So I want you all to know how much I value your presence and contributions and wisdom and feedback!!

For the week ending 12/31/22:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. No – 2 days this week I had meals that did not meet the “Plate Test.” (Mark – thank you for the link to Jeff’s writing about this!)

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No – had more salt sugar this week than normal. Not like mid-December, but not where I want it to be.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No - pretzels

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. I’m beginning to be much more aware of how certain foods just never lead me to satiety at all (i.e. pretzels and other more processed foods – even if they are Starch Solution friendly). It seems to take a high volume of food to truly make me feel satisfied and to “turn off” thoughts of hunger and food in my brain. More calorie dense foods just end up causing me to eat too many calories – the math doesn’t work with my level of appetite. Excess salt (i.e. pretzels) really does seem to trigger excess eating, making this whole problem even worse. I love being able to eat a relatively large volume of food in accordance with MWL guidelines, feel truly satisfied (thoughts of hunger and food are OFF and my brain moves onto other endeavors), and also remain slender. I guess a certain amount of experimentation is normal so I can just affirm these things for myself. I’m actually excited about the week ahead as I AM planning some food experiments, but my plans involve MWL compliant foods! Potatoes and oats (when I do eat breakfast) have been my primary starches throughout weight loss. I have occasionally had other starches – rice, beans, pasta but not that often. So, this week I have picked out a pasta recipe to try, and Santa brought me a really nice small sized rice cooker and I want to try that. I have also had a Yonana maker since last May, and have yet to even try it out! So I have plenty of “experiments” I can conduct while staying in the center median of the McDougall Highway. Well, that was a long and only marginally related answer to a much simpler question!

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). No – still being lazy. Might be time for a new years resolution involving my 5 minutes per day green dot calendar. I’m going to print one out now and put it front and center. It’s going to be warm enough to walk outside for the next few days (highs of 40s and even 50s following last weekend, where our lows were -10 or more, with wind chills of -40). Unbelievable!

Victories: Weight is 148, which is inside my goal weight range of 144 – 149. While I’m not happy about my departures from plan this past month (and pretzels this past week) I am VERY happy that I have not fallen off a cliff and become hopelessly entrenched in the Pleasure Trap. But the stinkin’ thinkin’ is there, and I don’t want to play with that.

Comments: Mark, thank you for sharing your experience with these issues last week. It was helpful to consider both planned and unplanned departures from my normal eating routine. Upon reflection, I can see that there are some of both. And there is a slippery middle ground, where I think my subconscious is busy planning some Pleasure Trap eating while my conscious mind is planning otherwise. I think that is trickier. Your remarks also helped me see that some good habits developed since the 12-Day program last May have served me well. I think my routines for food planning and food prep are very solid, so even when my brain went a bit off the rails, I always had compliant food cooked and ready for the microwave. I think that preparation was vital in helping me get right back on track rather than spend days/weeks/months/years off in the weeds of the Pleasure Trap. I can see the immense value of the time and energy put into making behavioral change through this MWL program and this support group. It doesn’t mean I will always make the best possible decision, but it DOES mean I have something to lean on when I don’t make the best decision. Well ingrained good habits are the reason I am still here, still at my goal weight range, and still feel in control of my food.

Also to Mark - I'm so sorry that your holiday travel plans were so disrupted!

Concerns: While this December experience has been valuable for learning, I want to go forward in the spirit of time and adherence with solid compliance. My inner rebel child is probably thinking we can make departures from plan on the regular, and so I’m gearing up for some mental battles that I am not looking forward to.

Questions: What are everyone’s MWL related goals for the new year? I am so happy to be starting the year inside my goal range, and my biggest goal is to end 2023 the same way. The easiest and most secure pathway to that goal would seem to be strong compliance day in and day out. So that is my simple (but not always easy!) goal for the new year!

Wishing everyone the best of health and happiness in the new year!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Re: Mark's Replies for December 23

Postby Noella » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:08 pm

I found this detailed response about lapses from Mark to Beth on December23rd, 2022 to be really helpful for me. Thanks so much for writing this, Mark. I fully relate to and I needed to read these very encouraging and practical suggestions! Noella
Mark Cooper wrote:
Lizzy_F ...In regard to getting back on track in the wake of a lapse, an initial question I would ask myself is why the lapse occurred - was it an intentional, considered choice or an unplanned occurrence driven by environment, situation or other stimuli? Different tactics might apply for different root causes. For example, planning, preparation and practice are almost always the remedy for unplanned lapses. I'm pretty conscientious and have always tended to overprepare, so for me planned digressions actually tended to be a more significant challenge. I would have something along the lines of Rip's Big Bowl Cereal or some WFPB baked confection or some mixture of dates and nuts to "celebrate" something. For me, this tended to send me right into the Pleasure Trap, and I would feel very out of control and even engage in borderline binge-eating behavior (all on "healthy" but very calorie rich plant foods). I really hated how that made me feel, feeling not in control of my behavior was unpleasant and worrying to me. Ultimately, I decided I would rather just completely avoid the Pleasure Trap instead of periodically needing to fight my way out of it. Arriving at that conclusion took quite a bit of time, and many little "lessons". Moving away from the idea that lapses are "failures," and instead framing them as opportunities for learning and growth was a big revelation for me; I was able to see how each stumble, when assessed, adjusted for and ameliorated made my practice stronger and more resilient going forward...
...Think about what you really want, what your most important goals are, and how best to achieve that. Those answers aren't always the same for everybody.Pat yourself on the back for all the successes of this year, treat yourself with kindness and compassion, focus on the future outcomes you most desire, and be well! :D'
Noella

Postby Noella » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:38 pm

Hi Mark, Jeff, Wild Goose and Team MWL,

Happy New Year to all! So sorry to hear that you missed the second flight to Seattle, Mark. How disappointing that so many flights needed to be cancelled due to the weather!

My broken wrist continues to be quite painful. I get a new, hopefully, more comfortable cast on Thursday. I've been sleeping/napping a lot (too much, I think) to avoid experiencing the pain and reduce the need for ibuprofen/acetaminophen.

I'm so pleased that the festive Christmas indulgences of the holiday season are now officially behind me. Lessons learned: rich food, even very healthy foods if prepared with added oil or nuts, cause indigestion. So, I am pleased to be back to eating healthy, fully MWL meals starting with my breakfast today!

Like Stephanie, I bought four professionally prepared fruit and veggie platters to help with our holiday entertaining. They were so beautiful! on the buffet table!

1. Start each meal with soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D tried to!
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :-D Yes... mostly...trying
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can stop them. :-D tried to!
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :roll: - no meat, fish or seafood, but I wasn't 100% dairy-free as butter was added in some vegetable dishes--a small amount upset my stomach
5. Eliminate all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :roll: roasted cashew nuts yesterday...
6. Eliminate any added oil :roll: I dislike added oil in my food but had some anyway to make meals easier for entertaining 12 we bought some prepared foods, which always have oil...
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :roll: I did eat some dessert squares (plural!)on Christmas/my birthday...I genuinely enjoy having fresh fruit better, but I had a FOMO moment, and with the pain in my wrist, I succumbed...
8. Don’t drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D Yes! I didn't indulge in champagne, mimosas, beer, wine or soda pop...
9. Follow these principles, eat whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself. I over-ate calorie-dense foods at the Christmas evening meal...it was uncomfortable and interrupted my sleep with indigestion -
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :eek:[color=#FF8000] This is an exciting challenge! I had just started doing a series of physiotherapy exercises to strengthen the muscles that support my knees before I broke my wrist. I haven't been doing these exercises, just focussing on my wrist, so I've been more sedentary than ever. I am restarting my much-needed knee exercises today!

Thanks to everyone for sharing tips, inspiring words of wisdom, quotes, video links and practical suggestions.

My goals for 2023 are to become more aware of my 'inner critic' and develop my 'inner nurturing voice' to maintain a happy outlook toward living a lifestyle that promotes improved health and fitness.

Thanks, Stephanie, for including the link to Dr. Lim's video on this topic:
Regarding the concept of “positive self-talk” and how this can be super helpful in making changes …
1) Here is a 3-minute video of Dr. Lim talking about replacing your “inner critic” with your “inner nurturer” The voice inside our heads and how to learn to use it to our advantage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgaMbFM5kVA/

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
best regards,
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noella

Reporting for December 30 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:04 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for December 30

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:13 pm

BambiS - You've accomplished a lot this year! This holiday season is in your rearview mirror now, so you can well and truly focus on the things you want to achieve in 2023, right? What recipes are you excited about trying? I've been enjoying the seasonal citrus, as well; this week my grocery had Sumos! YUM! Forward!

VegSeekingFit - You are really earning your "navigator's badge," Stephanie! :-P Our cancelled flights were with United; we were all disappointed not to be able to visit my father-in-law (this was his first Christmas as a widower), but apart from that we had a nice, peaceful holiday together at home. Thank for sharing the video from Dr. Lim; I hadn't seen that one. The Nick Trenton book sounds interesting; I will have to check it out. I'm sure your exercise mojo will return, just keep thinking about it, experimenting, and doing your best to adjust your environment and routine to lessen any resistance and it will come. Cheers!

Hjklost55 -
Hjklost55 wrote:But have learned a huge lesson about myself. I CAN DO IT!!! I don’t have to QUIT and start over again.
BIG VICTORY for sure! Hope you are recovering well from that cold, it seems like there have been some really wicked cold viruses circulating this year. A return to calm is nearly always a comforting development, right? "Fine-tuning" seems like an excellent project for the new year. :thumbsup:

Rebecka22 - These holidays can be a tough time, but looking back you had a pretty amazing year! I checked your average adherence over the past year, and it was just barely under 8/10 overall; that is pretty darn good, right? It seems like you are in an excellent position for renewed adherence: you've reset your environment to support your efforts, your husband will be going in the same direction, and you'll be settling back into a well-established and practiced routine. Cheers for a great January!

Ejg - I totally applaud "not hauling" recriminating thoughts around with you! Now that December is behind you, do you feel like there were any important lessons that could inform your practice going forward? Getting back to a focus on attaining and maintaining adherence (the grind ;-) ) is the right path to follow. Happy new year!

Gimmelean - Pretty solid week and definitely going the right direction! :nod:
Gimmelean wrote: Practice make permanent- so it’s better to practice what yields the best results. I learned that I lose weight with my brain. 99% of my focus here is losing and now maintaining weight intellectually by doing my best to follow the science which also helps in channeling emotions related to food. I’ve since lost another 20 pounds and finally donated a dozen pair of pants!
Very well said, and congratulations for all your successes! :thumbsup: I think your dedication to the process AND the recommended pattern of behavior is a real inspiration. A happy, healthy, prosperous new year to you, as well!

Greens - Feeling confident and knowing that you navigated this holiday season more successfully than in the past definitely seems like a WIN to me, Marilyn! It is all about progress, right? Onward to the new year!

Lizzy_F - You will be starting the new year within your goal range! :D That is awesome! I totally get and relate to what you mentioned about one's "subconscious" seeming to exert influence in a direction antagonistic to one's conscious intentions and plans. :nod: Speaking personally, it seems for me that immediate environment plays a big role in spurring "subconscious mischief," as does any substantial change in context. In my experience, this is something that DEFINITELY became less and less of an issue with continuing adherence over a substantial duration of time. Nowadays, it is very rare that I even notice any slight dissonant urge from my "subconscious" (at least as it pertains to the recommended pattern of behavior, any way). Building a secure and sustainable practice for ongoing adherence to the recommended behaviors seems like an awesome goal for the new year!

Noella - Starting today with fully adherent meals is fantastic! I'm so sorry your wrist has been so uncomfortable; I'm hoping with you that the new cast will improve the situation. Cultivating your "inner nurturing voice" seems like a very worthy pursuit to start the new year. :nod: From my perspective, self-compassion is a really important practice for this way of living, and I think it can be easily overlooked, especially in the context of the broader culture. Happy new year and thank you, as always, for your remarkable kindness. :)
Mark Cooper

Summary for December 30 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:23 pm

With that, we bring the month of December AND 2022 to a close! What an amazing year this group has had!

My thanks to all of you for your kindness, community, and dedication. It has been and continues to be a rare privilege for me to be able to accompany you on this journey. The inspiring, diligent efforts consistently on exhibit in this group are absolutely thrilling to observe.

Many thanks, too, to wildgoose and Jeff for your valiant and invaluable service in shepherding this group. I continue to learn so much from both of you, and from the experiences of this group's participants, as well.

The new thread for JANUARY 2023 :eek: will be posted on Monday. I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Best to all for a happy and healthy new year! Take care and be well.
Mark Cooper

Postby Hjklost55 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:49 pm

Saw this today, and seems to apply to most all of us:

“There is a reason that the rear-view mirror is smaller than the windshield!”

Good-bye 2022 and all it brought to us. Good or bad. And HELLO 2023!!! Have a great New Year’s Everyone.
Hjklost55

Postby Rebecka22 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:06 pm

I spent some time reviewing my fitness goals this year and then realized it was just as important to review my other behaviors as well and set some goals. I was a lot more aware of my fitness successes than my adherence. So I am posting here for accountability. Here’s my review. For my workouts I did the following to close my rings (minimum 30 minutes and 670 active calories a day) every day this year:

Peloton = 387 workouts (strength, cycling, yoga)
Jump rope = 334 workouts (Cross Ropes weighted jump ropes app)
Running = 387 miles
For the Time & Adherence checklist I went back through each month to see how many 10/10 weeks I had and realized May was my only perfect month and that I had just under half of the weeks of the year with 10/10. Thank you Mark for the more encouraging metrics! Below is my yearly totals.

MMW checklist 10/10 yes - Total 25/52
Jan - 3/4, Feb 2/4, March 3/4, April 3/5, May 4/4, June 3/4, July 1/5, Aug 1/4, Sept 3/5, Oct 0/4, Nov 1/4, Dec 1/5

2023 goals
365 peloton workouts = 1/day every day
365 jump rope workouts = 7/week M-F
365 miles running = 7/week
MMW Checklist 10/10 yes = 40/52 weeks

I want to echo what everyone else has said about how much I appreciate this group. One question for you Mark, do you still review the checklist weekly or is it just natural for you now? Thanks!
Rebecka22

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi, :)

Blissfully having a quiet NYE at home after many, many years of day + parties.... :D

Thanks a ton, Mark for your consistent and helpful feedback!!!

I am inspired on exercise by Gimmelean and Rebecka posts. Have kicked my own self in the booty today and went for a 50 minute brisk walk. Felt great. Thanks, peeps!!!

Appreciate everyone's sharing here!!! Thank you all!!! Still looking for LOVE emoji!!

I am thinking of 2023 as a year of exploration of opportunities... Planning to stick with the MWL behaviors and see you all on the other side of 2022!!! :-D

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:55 am

Rebecka22 wrote:One question for you Mark, do you still review the checklist weekly or is it just natural for you now? Thanks!
Interesting question! In a sense, I'm reviewing the checklist along with all of you each week as I read and respond to all the week's reports. However, I would say that behaving in accordance with the MWL 10-Point Checklist is fully habituated for me. Thinking back, the last time I had a day that wasn't 10/10 was during the time I was hospitalized in December 2020, over two years ago. I think the fact that the hospital environment makes it almost impossible to act in a way that is congruent with the recommended pattern of behavior tells us a great deal about our broader societal context. :shock:

I do want to emphasize that it took me a long time and a great deal of practice to arrive at my current daily habits; it might seem from the outside like I had everything all figured out from the beginning, but I spent time struggling and stumbling and lapsing just like any of us. My journal preserves some evidence of this, and I hope the full trajectory of my experience can offer some encouragement to everyone. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby wildgoose » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:40 am

Rebecka22 wrote:One question for you Mark, do you still review the checklist weekly or is it just natural for you now? Thanks!

I know this was meant for Mark, but it (and his reply) got me thinking. How do I use the checklist, in a life where I just "do MWL" without thinking too much about it?

There are slight modifications I’ve made (like not pre-loading all the time) that I don’t pay too much attention to. Other points of the checklist I just do automatically. Like Mark, I didn’t get to this place without a LOT of ups and downs. Probably more downs than he had, if truth were to be known. :eek:

But here I am at the beginning of 2023, and I’m a couple of pounds heavier than I was at the beginning of 2022. That could be written off as normal fluctuations in weight, but I don’t think so. How do I know? Easy. The checklist.

I’m still doing orthodontics with Invisalign clear aligners. That means wearing my trays as much as possible, and I always make sure to have them out for no more than 2 hours, total, per day. I try for no more than an hour and a half. What does that mean? I’m always in a hurry when I eat. Eat fast, brush and floss, get those trays back in. I’m not paying attention to fullness, I’m not stopping when I’m comfortably full. I’m shoveling in the food with an eye on the clock and a feeling in the back of my mind that, of course, there won’t be any more (because who wants to go through all the required dental hygiene again, just for a little more food) so I better pack it in while I can.

It's a little bit of the "last meal" mentality (who of us long-term dieters hasn’t done the one last pig-out before embarking on yet another useless diet?) every day. While I haven’t been eating anything overly calorie-dense, I’ve been eating quite a bit more than I ordinarily would. It’s a tribute to the McDougall/MWL way of eating that I’ve only gained a few pounds! If I’d been eating the Standard American Diet, it would have been 20, or more.

So yes, the checklist is always there, reminding me to look at that behavior and adjust. I won't be in orthodontics forever, but I can always use the checklist as a framework for whatever life throws my way. I may not need to check off every item, but I know when I could do better on one point or another. And so I will. And my weight will reflect that adjustment. No drama, just a closer look at a tool that works, with a little more time and a little better adherence.

Happy New Year!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby Rebecka22 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:58 pm

Thank you so much Mark and Wildgoose for your responses and all you share about your own experiences. I really appreciate it. Happy New Year!
Rebecka22

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program