The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2023 Group

Postby Noella » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:03 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert
Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes
5. Eliminate all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No, a Christmas gift of roasted cashews, so calorically dense, derailed me. Everyone had gone, and the festivities for the holiday season had ended, but there sat the beautiful unopened jar of nuts. It was from my daughter - her attempt to give me something healthy. So first, I had one cashew, then a couple more. I usually consider nuts 'not-for-me', and we always have several types of nuts in a drawer in the fridge...but they are raw and unsalted and don't appeal to me. But this was different: roasted and salted and, most important, a gift, which made it challenging to put these cashews fully into the 'not-for-me' category: but oh my gosh, these have far too many calories and too much sodium to even think of as a healthy food.
6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes
8. Don't drink calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes
9. Follow these principles, eat whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself
Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary; do at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes, light exercising (focusing on keeping my shoulder, elbow, and fingers strong and flexible) and walking. I'll wear a cast on my wrist for about six more weeks.

I still love this quote, so here it is again!
“What I am about to tell you is so utterly simple and true that it may deceive you: Health feels better than sickness. You will be happier at your ideal weight than if you are overweight. You will be proud of yourself. You’ll have confidence. You’ll feel so many good things that, right now, you cannot imagine, and I cannot describe. But the net effect is that you’ll like yourself a lot more. You’ll look in the mirror and actually like what you see; you may even love what you see. You will have honored the person within yourself who longs to be healthy, beautiful, and free of all those burdens that being overweight brings. Life will not be perfect, but it will be better.” ― excerpt from The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
Last edited by Noella on Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Noella

Reporting for January 6 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:06 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for January 6

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:12 pm

BambiS - Oh, wow! Jackfruit masala sounds very appetizing to me. It is nice to know that you had the opportunity for some relaxation, quiet reflection, and renewed focus this week. I'm sure that felt very revitalizing. What was the context for the nuts this week? Was that something planned or did it just occur "in the moment"? Was it precipitated by some change in your environment or routine?

Hjklost55 -
Hjklost55 wrote:I picked up and moved on without anymore hitches for the rest of the week! So, I guess that is a VICTORY in itself.
Absolutely a victory! :nod: I can imagine how frustrating the situation around that particular meal felt. It is awesome that you were able to assess, put that ordeal in its proper context, and move on to get right back in the groove. :thumbsup:
Hjklost55 wrote:This lifestyle really is about the habits!! AND NOT GIVING UP!!!
I couldn't agree more! Have a fantastic week, Holly!

Rebecka22 - Kudos to you! Your planning and diligent efforts certainly delivered adherence, and feeling good is always the best reward, right? Carry on!

VegSeekingFit - Great progress with exercise, Stephanie, and excellent adherence all around, too! :thumbsup: I was able to score a box of Sumos, too. I must have been pretty lucky, because I only saw them in the store that one day, and none since. I very much enjoyed them. :D
VegSeekingFit wrote:Framing change as a learning experience. Learning how to remove self-judgment and focus on using mistakes to analyze approaches for improvement and try these (to then be evaluated and adjusted as needed – in sometimes a circular fashion).
This concept, along with bringing dedicated focus to removing as much "friction" as possible from the path of the behaviors I want to adopt and / or maintain, feels like a key contributor to my own development in this way of living.
VegSeekingFit wrote:A few family members / friends who aren’t doing this (and who think I am crazy in that) will actively support me. This helps tremendously in certain situations to have an advocate to get others off my back.
As you observe, the "social aspects" of making and maintaining these changes in behavior can be complicated (and sometimes vexing!). Having folks "in your corner" definitely seems like a real asset.
VegSeekingFit wrote:This one has been a bit touchy with a few folks telling me that I am “too restrictive” (like I have a problem). I have really “re-thought” this at least 2 times and come to the same conclusion!!! I do know myself!!! Also, I eat foods that I like and I do eat as much as I want of the recommended foods (which can be a ton) – I do eat when hungry, not starving or stuffing. Not feeling deprived.
I think two things you address here are important signals that you do not "have a problem": The strong conviction that you have interrogated this question and that you do, indeed, KNOW YOURSELF, and the absence of any feeling of deprivation. Rather, in fact, you describe greatly enjoying the foods you eat and feeling fantastic. Those things are all, to a significant degree, internal, personal experiences that are often invisible to other people; I think, without the necessary context, people assume that you (or I) must feel unhappy, deprived and dissatisfied because that is how THEY IMAGINE THEY WOULD FEEL in the same circumstances. They literally don't have any sense of what it feels like to practice this lifestyle across time, right? Keep on keeping on! :D

Gimmelean -
Gimmelean wrote:I’m trying to ditch the mindset of a new year /new slate by doing my best to practice the right choices ongoingly. Rather than encourage my latent perfectionist to be front and center and fail, this tends to work better from a MWL point of view.
This seems like an astute practice! It is interesting to recognize the influence particular thoughts and feelings can exert over our behavior; that influence can feel pretty powerful at times, right? And of course we oftentimes experience clear and pronounced "reminders" about the potent effect our environment can have over our actions. In that context, "willpower" is pretty low on the list of tools that are most likely to prove beneficial. Addressing the context and chain of causation that surround a particular behavior, including our thoughts and feelings about that behavior, seems essential to me. Onward!

Ejg - Thanks for taking a break from stripping the floor to check-in, Eric! :-D Looks like a pretty solid week to me, especially in the context of feeling a little "out of the groove" over the holidays. :nod: I'm curious about a few things in relation to your concerns about eating past the point of "comfortably full" and overindulging in fruit: In what context is this occurring? Is it at a specific time or throughout the day? Is this happening in relation to a particular fruit, or a wide variety of fruits? When this happened, had there been any noticeable changes to your environment or routine?
Ejg wrote: I reckon that the important part here is to just try to recognize where this happens and every day try to get better.
Agreed. Keep thinking about what specifically is happening and why and experimenting with how to address that and you will get things figured out in the end. :)

Greens - Congratulations on that dramatic change in your total cholesterol, Marilyn! That is persuasive evidence that your efforts are delivering positive results! Having the "right stuff" ready and accessible is SO IMPORTANT, right? And as you observed, sometimes our preferred variation of the recommended foods at a give time needs to be informed by the broader context: the seasons and the seasonality of foods, weather and temperature, time of day, all sorts of factors can play a role in what an appropriate meal comprising the recommended foods might be. I think your point about what goals one is seeking, and what pattern of behavior is necessary to secure those goals is important and well-stated. Keep at it!

Lizzy_F - Fantastic progress with exercise! :thumbsup: That dot calendar really works for you! The experience you describe in regard to those "dryer" and more calorie dense plant foods is very much in line with my own personal experience; those foods just don't seem to bring me to satiation or provide me with the satiety that my own particular body seems to prefer. These all seem like foods that would be acceptable, in moderation, within the constraints of the regular McDougall plan, but I think the phrase "in moderation" is doing a lot of work here. I have never found myself feeling particularly able to eat these foods "in moderation", so for me it seems easier and more tranquil to avoid them.
Lizzy_F wrote:Just because something might fit well into somebody’s else’s McDougalling life doesn’t mean it’s a good fit for me.
This was a really important realization for me, personally.
Lizzy_F wrote:I found myself in gratitude that I HAVE finally cracked the code to what DOES make me feel satiated (thank you Jeff for your calorie density and other lectures around these issues!!!!!!!!!), and awesome mentally and physically. I didn’t know that information before 2022, so what a blessing! To have this information confirmed through this experimentation is, I think, a positive thing. So I’m definitely not beating myself up over it!
I do think these sorts of experiments can be really valuable because they can serve to deepen our self-knowledge and affirm our personal beliefs; when we make a point of noticing, remembering, and carrying forward feelings and sensations associated with these experiences they serve to better inform our future decisions and actions.
Lizzy_F wrote:Going through the checklist really helped me put things in perspective. The week was not a “failure.” There were things I will do differently going forward, and also victories. And also some firm ground on a number of points that have been really steady for me. So an excellent process to keep that committee in my head from going off in unhelpful and exaggerated directions!
Awesome progress! This brought a big smile to my face! :D

Noella - A pretty fantastic week overall! I hope you wrist is feeling more comfortable, at least, and it is excellent that you've been able to make a solid return to adherence and include some light exercise, too. :D Keep doing your best and let the healing continue!
Mark Cooper

Summary for January 6 Reports

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:17 pm

An excellent way to start 2023! I so greatly enjoy having all of you as comrades in this ongoing effort of practicing our recommended pattern of behavior. It is fun!

On offer this week, an article to read and some videos to watch, should you be so inclined.

Did you hear about the study in the news today?

Streaming Health!

Enjoy!

Have a fabulous, adherent and success-filled week! Take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:54 pm

Beth, I’m still laughing about grabbing a potato to read your whole post :-).
Stephanie shared the Merlin Bird App by Cornell University some time ago. It’s free in the App Store or Google Store and offers everything possible to learn about and identify birds.
I was also inspired by Bambi’s post and finally dusted off that can of jackfruit. I made jackfruit tikka masala and jasmine brown rice on the stovetop for dinner and it was a hit. Omit the oil from the recipe and use coconut extract as a flavoring vs coconut milk. Instead of yogurt, I just used vinegar as a replacement in the marinade along with the other ingredients. Then, it’s compliant. Here’s the link to the recipe I found online and adapted:
https://foodaciously.com/recipe/vegan-c ... -jackfruit

Enjoy!
Gimmelean

Postby frowsyowl » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:01 am

Good morning all!

Please count me in for the group. I've reviewed the orientation materials and have printed them out. Got very lost again this past year and my attempts to re-group on my own this weekend have not gone so well.

I need to work on:

being realistic--about my triggers and the time it will take to see results.
focused--my mind has been in "re-calculating" mode every three days about what to do...adhere to the chosen plan even through turbulence.
stuffing/starving--I get high hopes for dieting and restricting and then crash and burn -or- I think that I'm eating enough, but accidentally under-eat or think that I will be over-eating if I go for another helping. Or, I just binge on crap.

...and many other things. :|

I plan to check in before and/or after work each day to read here and will probably start a new journal.

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer
frowsyowl

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:24 am

frowsyowl - Hi, Jennifer! You are in and counted! :lol: Now seems like an excellent time to renew focus, with an eye toward realistic goals and expectations, and attention to practicing the recommended pattern of behavior sans feelings of deprivation. :nod:
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:14 am

Hi All! :-D

Thank you, Mark a bunch for your insight --- very helpful and much appreciated!!!

Gimmelean, Cool that you are loving the Merlin bird app!!! I will try this on my walks too! I love to do the various bird calls when sitting on the deck --- when I spot a particular bird, I check to see if he / she is interested in the call or song! :lol: Lots of amusement here!!!

Thanks, Bambi and Gimmelean for the tikka masala jackfruit recipe idea and for a sample MWL modified recipe!!

BETH!!! Waving "hi"... Appreciate your kind comments and hope that you can take away something from my long diatribe there!!! :lol: I am gratified that we walk this path together. Fantastic that you are NOT discouraged but using "results" of experiments to better understand yourself. I think that this is what it's all about (to promote change)!!! Also, I've found (for me) that it is NEVER helpful to feel bad. So, kudos!!!! Mark called this out --- and I can't agree enough with relating to your statement... "Just because something might fit well into someone else's McDougalling life doesn't mean it's a good fit for me." YES - right on!!! :cool: I love your dot calendar approach!!! Will be thinking of you when doing #10 in the winter!!! Thinking we likely have similar weather!!! And double YUCK for having to revert to inside (but yes, suck it up buttercup...)!! :lol: Not sure if this is helpful / will be same for you .... but I have found that the "you're too thin" comments really peter out after people "get used to you". I know that I am not "too thin" by any means, but think comments maybe stem from folks getting used to people of larger sizes (i.e., average weight has gone way up!)... I hope that you have a marvelous week filled with potatoes!!!

Greens, Great idea to pack soup to go in a thermos!! Totally with you on preferring warmer food during this weather!!! YAY on your improved bloodwork!!!! :-D

Noella, Glad that it sounds like your wrist is feeling better --- bet you can't wait for the 6 weeks to be up / get the cast off. Wishing you an easy recovery.

Jennifer, Hi and WELCOME to the group!!! :)

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Hjklost55 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:38 pm

Good Morning MWL Group…. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy my Sunday mornings with my breakfast and reading everyone’s posts for the week. I always learn so much.

JENNIFER: Hi and welcome to the group. Me being somewhat new to the MLW forum group, (going on 3 months) understand that sometimes this can all be so overwhelming. I did the 12-day McDougall class in November 2021, but was a little slow implementing and wading through all the information. This is a GREAT/SUPPORTIVE group, and I am finally getting a rhythm going to this lifestyle. So hang in there, it will come together with some focus and persistence. And keep it simple….

MARILYN: Great cholesterol reading. It is so nice to see the progress from your hard work.

ERIC: I have to tell you, I had an instant thought of you and an “old fashion vibrating belt” when you said you rented a belt sander. Totally cracked me up!! I’m sure that is lots of good exercise too!! :lol:

LIZZY: We have mentioned before, we have so many things in common, it is scary. I hope to follow in your footsteps and reach that maintenance stage. I too feel like a bottomless pit with some of my eating. But at least with the help of this group, I have been more aware and believe I am starting to make a little bit of headway. Slow, but progress. As far as the pickleball, I took a lesson from our local tennis club, but they play at our local YMCA. Google “Pickleball” near me. I’m sure there are lots of options. And then when the weather breaks there are a TON of places to get outside and play. It is great/fun exercise and have met a lot of nice like minded people. Oh and BTW, I started me an exercise calendar. Enjoy watching the week fill up with colorful dots!!

NOELLA: Congratulations on 90 lb loss…. That is AMAZING!!! You are so inspiring. And I can relate to your daughter giving you some nuts because they were healthy. Lol…. Goes back to what has been said several times about people not really understanding our WOE. But that was thoughtful of her. AND I LOVE the quote on the bottom of your post. That is a GREAT one. And so true.

GIMMELEAN: I have said for a very long time that I can’t just have one, or a little bit. But a lot of friends and family just don’t understand that. But as Dr Lim stated in his 10 common mistakes, CAN’T DO!!! And at least I know that now. So I am very careful with that! It can totally derail me if I do. I just keep them out of my house, and don’t sit by the bowl in somebody else’s house. Haha :-D

STEPHANIE: Great job getting back to exercise. It is hard to get back on track if you miss one day, then two, next thing you know it has been a week. You have been so AMAZING to me both on and off this forum. THANK YOU so much for all you have shared and your encouragement.

BAMBI: Well guess what? I have a can of jackfruit that has been in my pantry probably a year now. So going to get it out, dust it off, and try it.

REBECKA22: 10/10 on MWL checklist….. WOW…. I hope to accomplish that sometime. Way to go!!

JOE: Hope we didn’t scare you off….. As I mentioned to Jennifer, this can be overwhelming. Stay with it!!! IT WORKS!!

Last but certainly not least…. MARK…. (Hope I didn’t miss anyone). Thank you for all of your input and motivation. And congrats on your continued success. There are several on here that have reached maintenance and it is encouraging for me to keep at it.

“long Term Sustainable change is what we are really after!” Day in day out!!
Hope everyone has a great week!

Take Care,
Holly
Hjklost55

Re: 10 common mistakes in (diet-related) behavior change (Dr

Postby Noella » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:06 pm

Mark Cooper wrote: Jan 02, 2023: Happy New Year!

To get 2023 rolling here's a very useful list from Dr. Lim that I came across recently:

10 common mistakes in (diet-related) behaviour change (Dr. Anthony Lim)
1. Focus on outcome vs habit
2. Too vague a goal
3. Unrealistic Expectations
4. Underestimating the Power of the Environment
5. Lacking Support/Accountability
6. Not Tracking Progress
7. Thinking Just a Little Bit is “Okay.”
8. Neglecting Other Core Areas of Life
9. Allowing Thoughts/Feelings to Guide Behavior
10. Giving Up

1. Do any other typical mistakes that come to mind for you?

2. Do those above ring true in your experience?

3. How did you overcome them /what were your solutions?

Hi Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff and all participants for January 2023,
I enjoyed mulling over your three questions, Mark. Here is what came to mind:

1. Do any other typical mistakes that come to mind for you?

A common mistake in diet-related behaviour change that I have struggled with has been continually underestimating the social challenges of weight loss. As a result, I sometimes allow the comments and opinions of others to influence my behaviour. Their words may be positive or negative, but they carry a lot of power either way. One solution has been to listen to Dr. Lisle's helpful videos on this topic. I want to fit in and belong, so making others feel criticized, guilty or uncomfortable about their food choices compared to my food choices is something I try to avoid. I also avoid discussing my diet with others as much as possible.

2. Do those above ring true in your experience?

Yes! Following MWL and belonging to this forum has helped me navigate many of these mistakes/obstacles to making behaviour change that results in achieving successful weight loss. Mistake number seven - Thinking Just a Little Bit is “Okay.” - was one I encountered (again!) this week. Number five: Lacking support/accountability. At the beginning of my weight loss journey, I lacked support from my friends and family, but I needed to change my lifestyle dramatically. My family had seen me go on diets and end up heavier than I had started.

To get my family's support, I needed to cook delicious food. Dr. McDougall's books came to the rescue! I love pasta, rice and bean dishes, so I had the information I needed to succeed. I made changes gradually, starting with making our family's favourite recipes with much less or no added oil, salt and sugar. I learned how to make delicious marinara sauce, minestrone soup, veggie lasagne, and bean burritos without the unnecessary extra calories from oil, cheese and sour cream. As I lost weight, I gained more support from my family. I joined this group three months into my weight loss journey, and it has been so helpful to have ongoing weekly support from Mark, Wild Goose and Jeff, as well as all participants, since March 2020. I enjoy reviewing the MWL checklist and reflecting on my week's challenges and successes -- undoubtedly, the support and accountability I have received here have been life-changing for me. Thank you, EVERYONE, SO much!

Happy New Year!
Noella
Noella

Re: 10 common mistakes in (diet-related) behavior change (Dr

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:16 am

Noella wrote: Their words may be positive or negative, but they carry a lot of power either way.
I think this will likely strike a chord for many people. Thank you for sharing.
Noella wrote:I made changes gradually, starting with making our family's favourite recipes with much less or no added oil, salt and sugar. I learned how to make delicious marinara sauce, minestrone soup, veggie lasagne, and bean burritos without the unnecessary extra calories from oil, cheese and sour cream.
This jibes with my own experience; finding suitable recipes with flavors, aromas and textures that appeal to my family has been an important piece of the puzzle for making this WOE work within my household. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm trying to hone in on point ten and have noticed that I'm eating about every 2 hours from 6 a.m to 6 p.m. (I'm having to split some meals so I don't feel stuffed) This seems a bit weird. I don't know if I was doing this before, because I didn't pay attention to the times that I was eating. Will this get better on its own? Would it be counter-productive to force myself to fewer times?
frowsyowl

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:59 am

frowsyowl wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm trying to hone in on point ten and have noticed that I'm eating about every 2 hours from 6 a.m to 6 p.m. (I'm having to split some meals so I don't feel stuffed) This seems a bit weird. I don't know if I was doing this before, because I didn't pay attention to the times that I was eating. Will this get better on its own?
I would expect that this will change over time, although it may be fairly gradual.
frowsyowl wrote:Would it be counter-productive to force myself to fewer times?
Keep in mind that
JeffN wrote:The fundamental basic principle of the MWL Program and the principles of calorie density is "whenever hungry, eat until comfortably full of the recommended foods."
So if you feel hungry (for whatever reason), it is wise to eat. That said, something you may perhaps want to experiment with, for more lasting satiety, is including a bit more starch in each meal, particularly those earlier in the day. This post from Jeff explores this idea in regard to snacking in some detail. Do the best you can to practice the full menu of recommended behaviors, and use your best judgement in regard to the timing of meals, taking into account what Jeff discusses in this thread. Also, speaking from my personal experience, the backdrop of one's immediate food environment can exercise an influence over appetite that is pretty powerful at times; if there are known calorie-rich, hyperpalatable, tempting foods in the immediate vicinity it can tend to stimulate the desire to eat, even if one avoids indulging in those particular temptations (at least that is something I noticed in myself). Changing the environment to address this can make a big difference. Hope that all makes sense. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby frowsyowl » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 am

Thanks so much, I will read everything over. It makes sense about environmental influences.
frowsyowl

Postby BambiS » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:21 pm

1-13

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
No

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Doing better

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Did have some nuts this week

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
No, my in office days I’m slacking here

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Some days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

The nuts last week were not planned, they were a gift to my husband. Otherwise they wouldn’t be in the house. I think I’m trying to cut back too much and am grabbing bad foods.

I am not getting satiated on my in office days. I get home and am hungry ready to grab something to eat. Next week I’m off work all week, so I’ll do better. The following week I am going to be sure to pack a large potato and veges for lunch.
BambiS

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program