The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2023 Group

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi Mark! Thank you so much for taking the time (as always!) to provide valuable and insightful feedback on the topic of getting back on track. I think this is a great time to revisit my "why" and to also just take stock of my environment and identify any areas that may have gotten a little sloppy. I am very like you in that I do best when I plan ahead, and when I prep the night before for whatever will be going on the next day, and especially the morning. I look up to you for your ever positive approach and attitude in the face of what you are dealing with medically.

Hi Jeff! Thank you so much for your feedback on California Balsamics, and for directing me to your writings and calculations. I really appreciate this heads up so I will maintain awareness of the sugar impact of these vinegars, to make sure they truly stay in the category of "teaspoons of a condiment used sometimes" versus something more that would take me over the guidelines. I am well within the "teaspoons" category now (and certainly not daily - ketchup is a way more "daily" thing LOL), and will make sure I stay there. Our food environment really is filled with land mines!

Stephanie - thank you so much for lifting me up today, and also for sharing your suggestions about getting back on track! And you are so right about Mark's insightful responses - this time and every time! You are right about the JOY in this food! I'm so glad you reminded me of that. You made me think about what I would say if someone asked me "if you could only had ONE food item for the rest of your life, what woult it be?" My answer TODAY would be a toss up between russet potatoes and Japanese sweet potatoes. I honestly would have a hard time choosing only one, but it would surely be one of those. Pre-12-day program, I would have probably said "pizza." And I'm not talking about the no-oil, no-animal products kind! I'm very grateful to be where I am instead of where I was. Atomic Habits is such a good book and it's been a loooong time since I read it. I need to dig that one up on my Kindle and read it again!

Artista - it has been such a game changer for me to realize that I am just a volume eater - one of many volume eaters in this world, and that there is nothing "wrong with me." I used to always think there was something wrong with me because others could "control their portions" of higher calorie density foods, but I never could. I am so grateful for all of Jeff's teachings on the topic and importance of calorie density, and it seems I am always finding new ways to understand and apply those principles within the context of my own life. I have never actually weighed all my food in a day, but I know my estimates are close because on so many days, I eat foods that I either know what they weigh (i.e. a 1 pound bag of frozen veg, etc.) or I eat things like potatoes where I have occassionally weighed them out of curiousity (WOW these are HUGE! :D ) so have a really good idea. As Mark has often talked about, people who see me eat (mainly my non-McDougall husband) are SHOCKED by the amount of food in my really large meal bowl! Well, it's working for us so onward we go! I really am "rebounder curious." I have a feeling I would kill myself if I tried to do that while watching the news! :D It does sound (and look like) fun though!

If I missed anyone, I will be back!

Hope everyone is having an amazing day!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:55 pm

Oops - Jeff I meant to ask you - what is a "soda pop vinegar?" (from your linked post) I'm having trouble wrapping my head around carbonated vinegar? That sounds incredibly unappealing!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:19 pm

Lizzy_F wrote:Oops - Jeff I meant to ask you - what is a "soda pop vinegar?" (from your linked post) I'm having trouble wrapping my head around carbonated vinegar? That sounds incredibly unappealing!

I was quoting Dr Goldhamer who is known for being direct & blunt. It’s his response to my asking what he thought of them. As you know, Pop, Soda & Soda Pop are known for being high in sugar. So he was saying he wouldn’t recommend the vinegars because of their high sugar content. Not anything to do with the carbonation.

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:49 pm

Ahhh! Got it. Thanks!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:14 pm

Post for week ending 3/3/23

I’m sorry for posting past the deadline and here for accountability.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No- off track a bit with nuts and will stop this.

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Not entirely but much much better. I feel such a positive difference when I avoid flour and love good MWL food that’s substantial and filling.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes- most days.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. In addition to moving and doing some type of exercise at home every day I didn’t talk myself out of going to the gym at least 3x this week after work. Exercise is always a good foundation for me to build on for better adherence habits. When I eat junk or overeat I just want to go to sleep. When I eat well, I’m alert, energetic, and ready to accomplish more.

Victories,Comments,Concerns,Questions:
-The days are getting longer and more daylight is very uplifting.
-The McDougall video with Dr. Lisle about understanding and mastering food cravings is called The Cram Circuit and is on YouTube. I find it to be very helpful.
-Thank you all for sharing and inspiring. Have a good week.
Gimmelean

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:39 pm

Hi to All! :-D

Wanted to say a couple of things before next week... :)

Artista -- Wishing you the best with situation you described... Been there, done that with my mom --- and my FIL is in this place as well. Mark advice about being kind and gentle with yourself may apply in spades... especially with what you are going through...

Saw you mention the 12 day ... So, I will say --- I find this group fantastic and also found 12 day phenomenal... Would encourage anyone interested to do that (and keep doing both !!!)... The education, immersion, and the support system is incredibly helpful / life-changing... (or that is how it worked for me!!!)

For fun... :-D Want to tell you that you inspired me to just swing on swings last year (which I do!!) and have recently added the slide --- in a 50 degree day... THANK you for that!!! We should always have fun!!! :D

Beth --- Mark's awesome post with getting on track --- (sorry, I am paraphrasing...) -- 1) Remember your why and 2) Optimize your environment ... Makes me think of one other thing.... LISTS!!! Has helped me a ton to make a list of my "why" ... that I keep adding to!!! Also, simple list for me that helps to keep the right adherent foods on hand / environment---- (drumroll... :lol: ) So, I keep a grocery list template of what I LOVE to eat (and need to buy)--- and I just adjust it each week based on stock --- totally simplifies shopping. Other lists!!! (Because I LOVE lists...) --- Self-care lists and hypercare lists (where I wasn't adherent ---- and the circumstances, thoughts to do better, etc.)..., goals lists...

Mark--- You are such a role model in all aspects --- admire how you selflessly support all of us... I remember from before when we used to record weight change... I always felt like you were the only person in creation who would even acknowledge that... :) I so hope that karma works in the right way and that what comes around, goes around... You inspire me (and I bet everyone on these boards)...

Jeffn -- LOVE your California Balsamic vinegar posts!!! THANK you!!! So, I didn't understand this at first when I was doing MWL and was using some. Your posts were super helpful to me with verbiage like "Balsamic crack" and equating to maple syrup. I have these products, but I always think (to self).... do you want to add maple syrup to your "x"... Now, I eat every once in a while, buy mostly not...

Hope everyone has a fantastic week!!!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:40 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

This week was good. I felt better being on track. Nothing eventful. I am trying to make sure to enjoy and really appreciate the beautiful food I get to eat, especially the variety of fruit in my oatmeal in the mornings. It is such a beautiful way to start my day. I hope everyone has a great week!
Rebecka22

Postby BambiS » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:33 am

3-10

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Most days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Most days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.
I cracked down big time this week. It was a good week.

I don’t know how to reply when asked how I fix fresh kale. I either cook in a crock pot or instant pot. I season it slightly with liquid smoke. Cook it depending on how you like the texture. It is good!
BambiS

Postby Artista » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:03 pm

Hello fellow Time and Adherence folks. I really appreciate this group!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D Yes

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :-D Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D Yes.

6) Eliminate any added oil. :-D Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit. :-D Yes

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :? Almost. I missed one day of exercise. On some of the other days I did more than 30 minutes so I think it all averaged out to at least 30 minutes a day but, still, my goal is to be able to check off that 30 minutes every day.

Victories, Comments, Questions, Challenges: My life is usually pretty calm but for various reasons this month is turning out to be a whirlwind of stuff to do. I would think that stress and busy-ness would make it harder to adhere to a change in diet but I actually think that my way of eating is providing me with the stability that makes it easier to endure all the things to do and hurdles to jump over. If I were in the Pleasure Trap and miserable because of poor food choices, all this would be much more difficult. As it is, I have the freedom to focus on others besides myself and the ability to find peace in the midst of the hubbub. Thank you all for your participation in this group, I am encouraged by all of your comments, and thank you, Mark, for your exceptional moderating and feedback!
Artista

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:10 pm

Hi Time & Adherence Peeps, :)

Hope that everyone is enjoying the week!! We had a clip of fluffy snow last night (like we were living in a snow globe!) which is mostly melted now. Sign of spring is that some of our bulbs are growing --- we even have a few Snowdrops that are flowering (even under the snow)!!! ❤️

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Collectively would estimate this to be about 70% of the time.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. This works great for me!!! I am still eating mostly the same foods!! Have “discovered” adding some fruit to the plate with the veg and starch and will only say that this is terrific and has upped my lunch game!!!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes, no starving and no stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

No, 0/7. Trying to not get impatient or annoyed (at myself because this could only be self-induced)… as injury heals. Really glad that I listened to Mark and built skills on other points (talking to 5 & 7) earlier in “my journey” to improve self-talk and think of reasons / options to handle… in a positive way. This too shall pass…

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

I am humbled (but mostly excited) that Dr. McD shared my story in his new Hunger presentation (V2) ❤️!! Thank you Beth, for encouraging me to send it on. I am happy to be #xxx,000 individual who can attest that the Program works if you follow it (seriously --- the more stories the better…). I also want to encourage others --- I am happy that my verbiage made it to the slide (and OMG, Dr. McD said it!!!)... :D

I love this Program

I love the food

I love the results

This is what I would like to scream from the rooftops… (but I will hold myself back)…

I am so grateful to Dr. McD, the whole McD team (especially JeffN, Tiffany, Heather, Mary) and to this group (especially our awesome moderators – Mark and Wildgoose) for wonderful information, support, community. My heart is full! ❤️ Thank you so much to all! I 100% believe that this program is amazing and life-changing!!!

Hope that everyone has a fantastic upcoming week!!! :-D

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:21 pm

Post for week ending 3/10/23

Yes. For the broth based soup I made a pot of vegetable pho in the Instant pot to have all week. I packed a container of mixed raw vegetables and cut up fruit to take to work every day which is helping to stave off junk food adventures that I always regret.

Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No- off track with nuts. This is one sure way to gain weight very quickly. Way too easy to scarf them down and not even remember eating them.Aside from food amnesia they are not satisfying at all and awfully energy dense.

Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Almost a yes!

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes-feels so much better not to overeat.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes!

Victories,Comments,Concerns,Questions:
-I’m posting early to hopefully make up for missing last week’s posting deadline.
-Thank you all for everything. Hope you are feeling good and have a good week ahead.
Gimmelean

Postby Hjklost55 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:29 am

Post for week ending 3/10/23

Good Morning All, Sorry I missed posting last week. Fri and Sat just got away from me. Can’t believe how fast this world is turning. I need to SLOW down and relax!!!

YES. I continue to preload with a plate of prepared veggies. Carrots, celery, jicama, cherry tomatoes, orange peppers and romaine lettuce leaves. I keep them all prepared and ready in the refrigerator! Makes it soooo easy.

YES. After my preload veggie plate, I eat mostly 1/2 broccoli/cauliflower mix and 1/2 potatoes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
YES. Think I have finally beat the salt shaker. I was using “everything but the bagel” seasoning on EVERYTHING!!! The last time I used it all, I decided NOT to buy it anymore because it is a problem area for me. Few times I have craved that, but haven’t given in to the urge.

YES, No problem in this area.

YES, No problem here either since I gave up my “soy curl soup”. LOL

YES

YES, don’t have any of that stuff in the house! No temptations.

YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
NO, This continues to be my major down fall. I am a volume eater and still find myself “stuffed” sometimes. This is a continued work in progress.

YES, I am happy to say, I have this habit in good place! For NOW anyways. :-D I’m in a great routine of morning stretching, pickleball and then have to still take the dog for a walk sometime before sunset. I am hoping I have established a good pattern here so when summer comes and we go to the lake I can incorporate a new routine. We live in a 5th wheel for the summer and fish everyday. So I will need a NEW routine. Haha. (Tough problem to have I know)

Victories,Comments,Concerns,Questions: I had a pretty good week overall. Went to a restaurant with my son & family. I ordered steamed rice and steamed broccoli. I stayed out of the SAD appetizers and drank my hot tea. Even though I asked for No Salt, No Oil on my rice & Veggies, I woke up in the night VERY thirsty. So something had some added salt to it.

I LOVE readying all the great information here, and following like minded people on this journey. Thanks everyone for all your input! Have a great week. I’m headed to the mountains to play in the snow!
Hjklost55

Postby Noella » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi Mark, and everyone!
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D Yes
2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. :-D Yes.
3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D Yes.
4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D Yes.
5) Eliminate all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D Yes.
6) Eliminate any added oil. :-D Yes.
7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods, including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit. :-D Yes
8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D Yes.
9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself, and don't stuff yourself. :-D Yes.
10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :? Trying.

Rebecka22, I love your comment: “I am trying to make sure to enjoy and really appreciate the beautiful food I get to eat…” that is so true! I like your positive attitude of "I get to…” It is such a privilege to get to eat healthy and nutritious food and to recognize junk food for what it is. Like you, I have such gratitude for getting this privilege.

BambiS, I agree that kale is delicious. I buy at least four large bunches of kale each week (We are fortunate to get organic veggies and fruits delivered weekly from a local farm) We have some every other day! I like the lacinato or dinosaur kale the best. I rip the stalks away, chop lightly, then steam for two minutes. Delicious with brown rice.

Stephanie, I REALLY want to hear your story presented by Dr. McDougall. How do I find Hunger Volume 2? Would you be able to post a link to it here? I can relate to your feelings of joy regarding discovering the truth about healthy eating. Knowledge is power! I hope your injury heals quickly!

Gimmelean, You are doing so great with MWL! I agree that it “feels so much better not to overeat.”

Hjklost55, Like you, I am a volume eater! The great thing about MWL is that I get to continue to eat generous servings of delicious MWL-approved foods, whenever I am inclined to do so. This allows me to fully enjoy and eat heartily until fully satisfied. It is a beautiful (no guilt!) feeling to eat almost ad libitum! Somehow, I rarely feel overfull as long as I ensure that my lower calorie-dense meals are prepared without excess amounts of added oil, sugar and salt. Enjoy your adventures in the snowy mountains!

Artista"I actually think that my way of eating is providing me with the stability that makes it easier to endure all the things to do and hurdles to jump over." so true! Healthy, and nutritious adds stamina and helps with sleep and mood. Way to go!

Greens Your food prep is inspiring! Thanks! I love having some precooked starch on hand at all times...cooked pinto, black garbanzo beans, rice, oven-roasted sweet potatoes and regular potatoes and/or pasta on hand in the fridge and/or freezer. I also like having frozen veggies side dishes, soups and stir-fries (no -oil, of course!).

This week’s Inspirational quote is an excerpt from a colleague's book, Red Dust and Cicada Songs, describing her experience of teaching in Africa.

PLEASE, MADAM, WHAT IS A DIET?

As we settled into the routines of the school year, my life had moments of uncertainty, some pleasant, some disturbing. Moments when things were not what they appeared and assumptions were upended. Moments when I sensed the world was more varied, beautiful or strange than I had imagined. It was as if I had opened a door and found new rooms in my home, spacious and airy, filled with hints of divergent futures, incomprehensible puzzles, and new ways of seeing.

Our students craved sweets. They got a few teaspoons of sugar in the morning to sweeten their breakfast nshima but depended on the small shops in town to provide technicolour hard candies— fuchsia, lime and yellow—in exchange for their pocket money. My students’ English essays were full of the raptures of sugar and honey, with expressions like “Too, too sweet” and “So sweet.” In their stories, love was always sweet.

In the first year, when we still depended on British-based texts, I taught standard comprehension lessons. The students read an essay, followed by the five Ws: “Who, What, When, Where, and Why?” One story was about a man in London who went to his doctor with knee pains and was told to go on a diet to relieve the pressure in his joints. Waysi put up his hand, pushed back his metal-legged chair, then stood by his desk and asked respectfully, “Please, Madam, what is a diet?”

“When you are on a diet, you must not eat too much food, especially sugar.” I almost said, “No doughnuts or ice cream,” but I quickly stopped myself. I had not seen doughnuts or ice cream since we arrived in Lundazi. Waysi looked at me with incomprehension and sat down, unsatisfied. Other hands went up. Davison shouted out, disbelieving, “Please, Madam, how could anyone have too much food? It is not possible.”

My words began to sound nonsensical, and my mouth went dry. I could not begin to explain the abundance of food in Canada, the plates of half-eaten French fries left on A&W trays, nor the heaped plates of spaghetti and meatballs unfinished. Every student in front of me was wiry and slender. They would look scrawny standing beside a Canadian teenager. I couldn’t think of a single overweight kid among the eight hundred students. The only round person was the boarding master, Joel, who shovelled sugar to the point of saturation into his recess coffee.

They looked at me sideways and broke into incredulous comments among themselves. I ended the lesson early and dismissed them. I had no idea what to say. - by Mary Bomford (Dr.McDougall would know precisely what to say!!!)
Last edited by Noella on Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Noella

Postby Greens » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:14 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes:-D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert Yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No. Had a Thai restaurant meal out with family.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes except I’m assuming restaurant meal has added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself Yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions. Most of my week I felt like I was in a good groove. Salads prepped, soup in pint mason jars, potatoes ready in bins, lots of frozen veg in freezer….all things I really enjoy. Glad restaurant is an hour and half away. For me, choosing the right food is much easier at home and/or what carry along away from home on regular basis.

Appreciate reading your challenges, victories, and suggestions! Thank you all.

Marilyn
Greens

Reporting for March 10 Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:01 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program