The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2023 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:31 am

APRIL 2023 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for Time & Adherence:
The Behavioral Path to MWL Success

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
Some of Jeff Novick's Quick and Easy Recipes
Jeff's Simple Recipes on Facebook
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes (or broth for those who don't like tomatoes)
1- 14 oz Can No Salt Added Beans (which is about 1.5 - 2 cups)
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
**optional - 1/2 cup Frozen Greens
1.5 to 2 cups of a *Cooked* Starch
~1 tbsp. Salt Free, Dried Seasoning/Spice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Can You Really Eat As Much As You Want?
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety
Calorie Density & Satiety In Action
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

April is here!

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:32 am

New month, new thread! :D New start?
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2023 Group

Postby SydneyS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 pm

I just found this and would like to participate, but I won't be able to do much until next week (I've been stuck at home sick for a week and won't be able to really get into proper shopping/planning until next week). Since that'll put me at nearly mid-month should I wait until the May group or can I start next week? Also, is there a particular/set check-in day? Do folks interact and ask questions/get support or is this strictly a once a week check-in board? Thank you.
SydneyS

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:40 am

SydneyS wrote:I just found this and would like to participate, but I won't be able to do much until next week (I've been stuck at home sick for a week and won't be able to really get into proper shopping/planning until next week). Since that'll put me at nearly mid-month should I wait until the May group or can I start next week? Also, is there a particular/set check-in day? Do folks interact and ask questions/get support or is this strictly a once a week check-in board? Thank you.
Hello and welcome! I think all your questions should be answered by the information in our Orientation materials. Starting next week is absolutely fine, and questions or requests for support are welcome in this thread. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:31 am

4-6

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Most days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
No

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
No

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
No

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Most days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful.

Not a good week. I had company staying with me, they wanted to go out to several restaurants that they don’t have in their hometown. In the future. I’ll eat ahead of time and just get a salad or drink.
Too many local sweet temptations in the house this week.

Husband had several tests done, no call from doctor, but from what I can read from his online cart, they aren’t good.

So much going on with the company.Things should get better after they leave. I obviously still don’t handle certain situations well still.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:30 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

A generally good week. Lots of stressful situations but didn’t stress eat so that was a success. While I’m still initially drawn to deal with my stress with food, I feel more equipped to ignore that and do something else.
Rebecka22

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:27 am

Post for week ending 4/6/24

Greetings.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy) Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit. No!

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories,Comments,Concerns,Questions: A much better week and facing the same MWL challenges. Even though I’m aware of my triggers/cues, I’m still not fully stopping when reaching for non adherent foods (7) which creates the continuum. I know I will get there again.
Be well, be happy, and good wishes for whatever holiday you may be celebrating this week!
Gimmelean

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:27 pm

April 7, 2023

Hello MWL Peeps…. Hope everyone is having a great week. Still holding my breath in Idaho for some spring weather. Cold and windy with intermittent snow showers…. SPRING TAKE ME AWAY!!!!

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
YES Made a couple of vegetable soups this week….. Love it poured over my potatoes. SIMPLE-EASY

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
YES, reduced. But I did add some salt to some hash browns one day. :|

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES…. This is the EASY ONE!!!

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy)
YES-Just don’t ever buy them or bring them into my home.

6) Eliminate any added oil.
YES-This is an EASY one too…..

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
YES-No Cookie monsters this week!!! :nod:

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
NO, still eat until I’m stuffed on some days. Like right now, I just ate, I was comfortably full, then decided I needed an apple for dessert….. Now I have a belly ache because I’m too full. UGH!!!! When will I learn???

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
YES-Back to playing pickleball 5 days a week. Plus LOVE my home workout room. I find myself going in there when I would NEVER take the time to go to the gym or a class. NSV….

Victories, Comments, Concerns, Questions: No real concerns…. Just keep living the life. Keeping it simple. Still pretty much on Mary’s Mini. Scales are still moving slowly down. Not sure where I am going to land for the final number yet, but finding my clothes fit better, and actually just cleaned a couple bags of stuff out of the closet this week. Feels good to donate to goodwill. Somebody is going to get some REAL DEALS though….

Got my older grandkids an Amazon Gift card for Easter, and the little guy, (5 yrs old) a live butterfly kit. Came with a cage, food, and 5 caterpillars to watch hatch. He was so excited. No chocolate or Candy. Feel good about NOT contributing to that.

Hope everyone has a GREAT week, and keep it simple, and keep going. DON’T GIVE UP!!!!
Holly
Hjklost55

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:51 pm

PS…. WELCOME Sydney!!! Glad you found us! This is a very supportive, informative group…. :-D
Hjklost55

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:06 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :-D

Glad we are moving on to April --- have high hopes for a great month!!! We did end up with some crazy weather here in Illinois a couple of days this past week --- large and fierce hail… This did not stop the daffodils from starting to bloom!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Sometimes – mostly breakfast. I am looking to maintain – so not targeting 100%.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes, no starving and no stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Not 100% yes…. BUT --- ALMOST back!!! Walked 5 / 7 days briskly and played Pickleball 2 days. Feeling positive about getting back to a YES for next week!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Thank you, Mark for supportive and helpful feedback last week. I really related to this concept of times when our reserves may be depleted --- and just striving to keep food prep simple and easy.

Noella --- That is such an amazing outcome that you shared last week from following this program!!! So glad that you are able to manage pain in your knees and can work on strengthening while doing activities you enjoy!!! Love how your doctor acknowledged how you worked for this too!! Congrats!!!

Waving a big “HI” to everyone and wishing you all a wonderful week ahead.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Greens » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:27 am

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes. I tried out my new 32 oz Stanley thermos this past week. Worked great bringing along soup when I had a graveside service and meal after. Soup was nice and hot. No one seemed to mind me having this with my plain side salad.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes to reduced but not eliminated.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No. Had unplanned no cheese veg/fruit topped pizza last Sunday.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No. Good week except for one small cider with pizza.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 6/7

Challenges, victories, musings. Mostly a solid week with one exception. Pizza crust is still very appealing to me. Usually easy to avoid because it has so many unappetizing toppings. I need to take my own food wherever I go as a safety net. I am so much better off when I am prepared. I need to keep my eyes off other people’s plates.

Stephanie, so sorry for the loss of your very special cat. Our animal companions bonds enrich our lives.

Holly, very impressed with your simple Mary’s mini style. And great ideas for Easter gifts!

BambiS, I find social situations very challenging as well. Love when my home environment makes the right choice, the easy choice. Sounds stressful right now with house guests and your husband’s health.

Welcome SydneyS! I think you will find this group very helpful :D

Appreciate team time and adherence! Thank you all for what you share here. It makes a big difference feeling accountable to this group. Love read your posts.

Marilyn
Greens

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:51 am

Hello Time & Adherence friends. I have had a rough couple of weeks. I had some periodontal surgery on one of my teeth, and the aftercare instructions relating to food and diet really threw me off track. I took a challenging situation (one of the instructions was “no raw or cooked vegetables unless they are blended” and “no fruits unless they are blended” and “only soft foods that don’t require chewing” and “absolutely nothing that will get stuck between your teeth”) and made it worse by taking the recommended food list (which started – no kidding – with recommended food #1 ICE CREAM – and using that as permission to eat soft and mushy C.R.A.P. food (i.e. non-dairy ice cream (fat, sugar), jello (animal products, sugar), pudding (dairy, fat, sugar)in addition to smoothies (don’t drink your calories) and excessive mashed potatoes (FAR from 50/50, even considering the obliterated veg in the smoothies!) I am not quite two weeks out from surgery yet, but I can’t take it any more so I am already migrating back to my regular food, with the one exception that I am still not eating any raw vegetables. (I previously ate only limited raw veg anyway due to my braces). I can’t even tell you how good it makes me feel to be getting back to my normal food! I felt like my world got tilted on its side there for a time!
Bottom line – this report is really ugly. But I decided I want to complete it anyway so I am very clear on where I am, and what I need to do to get fully back on track. I may not weigh, measure, or track my food, but my hips do! LOL – but TRUE!
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yesterday was my first day back to starting lunch and dinner with veg / soup. It was also my first day back to eating 50/50 breakfast oat concoction with veg & fruit. Prior to yesterday, no. I initially made an attempt to accomplish this via smoothies. My thinking was that I was at least trying to start meals with veg/fruit. I was not consistent with this – probably did this 50% of the time.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yesterday was back on track. Prior to yesterday, no. I definitely verified why smoothies are not recommended. They are truly unsatisfying to me now that I am used to eating veg & fruit by chewing them on the McDougall plan.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yesterday was on track for no added sugar. I did add more salt than I needed to on top of my mashed potatoes. There was no good reason to move away from the Mrs. Dash I typically use and back to salt during this time. My inner rebel was on fire here. I completely understand that sprinkling salt on at the table is OK. But we are talking here about a “gourmet garlic salt” that I definitely over-sprinkle, so am better off to leave alone. I’m still eating mashed potatoes, so my goal for the coming week is to leave the garlic salt completely alone, and get back to my Mrs. Dash with a light sprinkle of regular salt if I really feel the need. I also woke up the sugar monster with the jello, pudding, ND ice cream, etc. so I need to absolutely leave the sugared stuff alone again today, and for the coming week. Life is so much more enjoyable without having the cravings and mental battles over sweets.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). I haven’t had jello or pudding for a few days now and I intend to keep that going.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Oh my. I’m glad I’m reviewing the check list because I forgot all about the rebellion peanut butter. That wasn’t even on the “list of approved soft foods.” That was just sheer rebellion. I normally have no problem leaving my husbands PB alone. I haven’t gone there either in the last few days so need to just stay the course. I did also splurge and use some soy milk in my mashed potatoes. Next time I make them I am back to just broth. I felt sorry for myself and thought that indulgence would make me feel better. It didn’t really make me feel better (I was determined to stay on the pity pot LOL) but it sure made the taters taste good! I’m not really regretting that decision too much, TBH.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Foods with added fats noted above, and none for the last few days.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Well, at least this one was on track! Now I’m really glad I went through the 10-points! Off the top of my head I didn’t realize I had a “yes” in here! :D

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Discussed above and also below….

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. OMG. My appetite was a hot mess. If there is one really positive thing that has come out of this situation, it is that I now COMPLETELY understand why the McDougall program does not recommend smoothies! When I first got braced on my teeth in March of 2022, I thought smoothies would be the ONLY way I could realistically eat vegetables. That was back when I was really struggling, and unable to fully get compliant with Starch Solution (let alone MWL!). When I started the 12-day program in May 2022, one of my early conversations with my Support Specialist Tiffany was about “what are you eating.” I told her about the smoothies, and my justification. She of course said ABSOLUTELY NOT and I am forever grateful for her stance on this issue!!!! I would have never fully understood how truly unsatisfying smoothies really are for me had I not 1) spent the last 10-11 months fully compliant (not perfect, but close), 2) gotten to a healthy weight while never going hungry and then 3) started drinking smoothies again. WOW – now that I have a solid base line of what healthy eating looks like and feels like, I can now more fully understand and embrace the program recommendations! I hope that made sense – I’m not sure if I was able to articulate what I really mean to say here. Anyway, the “baby food diet” left me HUNGRY, and I subsequently ate way too much of all food, most of it the wrong food for my health and well-being.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Not perfect here, but I do have some success to report! I found a Silver Sneakers class at a gym not too far from me. It is offered 3 times per week, and I went to the class all 3 times last week. I also walked outside on 2 other days. So I’ll take 5 out of 7 as a victory! I also am really excited – I bought a rebounder. So many people talk about how fun it is and it looks so fun! The rebounder came but the stability bar, which I feel I really need for safety in order to get started, isn’t here yet. But I am excited to add this to my exercise options. If any rebounders are here, I would love to hear from you about your tips for getting started, and what you feel the benefits have been for you!

Victories: Two positive points out of 10, when I thought I had ZERO when I first started writing this! And one full day – yesterday (and the right start on today as well) properly back on plan. I also feel like I know what I need to do. I think I am building more confidence as time goes on that a huge bump in the road does NOT have to spell disaster and the next ______________ (2 weeks, months, years, whatever) back in the Pleasure Trap.

Concerns: Needless to say, my weight is up over my goal weight range. I am using this as my motivation to stick to the MWL plan like glue for the coming week.

Questions: What would you do if your periodontist told you “no veg or fruit unless its blended” and handed you a list of recommended foods with ice cream at #1? I know I could have and should have handled this better – my inner rebel did me no favors here. But with my perio issues, this is definitely going to come up again (hopefully later rather than sooner..) so I definitely want to do better next time.

Thank you so much for being here for support Mark, Jeff, and everyone in the tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is absolutely no way I could do this alone, and without these accountability guidelines that help me so much to be slim as a volume eater. (and not go hungry!)
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:09 am

BambiS – I can totally relate to what you said about needing to get better at handling situtations that are outside of our “normal.” I struggled this week with periodontist instructions / need for special diet, and I’m sure I would also struggle in the situation you described with company. I guess we will get better at this as we practice and encounter more challenging situations! I hope everything is OK with your husband’s tests. That sounds like some added stress and fear……hugs to you!
Rebecka22 – “While I’m still initially drawn to deal with my stress with food, I feel more equipped to ignore that and do something else.” Congratulations on this success! This is exactly where I need to focus on getting to. It’s one thing to feel confident when the waters are smooth – it’s another thing to stick to it when the waters are rough. I needed to hear that – so thank you! If you can do it, maybe I can too. I hope whatever is causing the stress settles down for you soon!
Gimmelean – Are you in a mixed food household? I am, and I’m just grateful that my husband doesn’t really eat the array of #7 stuff. I would for sure struggle with that one! I am inspired by your confidence saying “I will get there.” I have so much to work on this week, and I am going to take your confidence to heart! I believe I will get there too.
Holly! You are rocking this thing. I am so happy for you, and also inspired by you. I will aim to kkeep it simple this week! What a cool gift for your 5 year old G-son!!! So wonderful to think of non-food/CRAP things that are so fun!
Stephanie - I’m so sorry about your kitty…. Hugs to you! Very happy your recovery is going well and you are back to so much activity! I’m inspired by you as always!
Marilyn – I’m so glad you wrote about the need to be prepared, bring own food, keep eyes off other’s food, etc. That is something I need to ALWAYS be mindful about. Sometimes it is so easy to just be in cruise mode, and then something smacks me in the face and I’m not prepared for it!
Welcome SydneyS, and hello to all who are yet to come for this weeks checkin!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:20 am

Lizzy_F wrote:Questions: What would you do if your periodontist told you “no veg or fruit unless its blended” and handed you a list of recommended foods with ice cream at #1?

As a graduate of the 12 Day program, I would shoot me (and/or Dr Lim) an email.

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Ejg » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:02 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. mostly but not 100%
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. same as above, for the most part yes but not 100%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. No, there was some easter candy in my house for my daughter and I helped myself to some. committed to making sure this was a one-off that won't occur again. When my daughter isn't here its much easier to control my environment but when she is, I feel like its reasonable to let her have some snacks and so there are inevitably some non compliant foods around. will continue to work on this
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. yesEliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No, I had a handful of my daughter's goldfish crackers Thursday night
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). about half the time, I was still sick earlier in the week and so didn't do much in the way of exercise. feeling better now though, and getting back on track

a couple of bumps this week but overall wasn't too bad. still trying to figure out a way to make sure I'm fully compliant when I have my daughter with me and there is inevitably snack food around. I find that as long as I make up my mind that I'm not going to touch it, I'm usually ok. If I have one slip up in a moment of weakness, then it becomes significantly harder
Though it feels malevolent, resistance operates with the indifference of rain and transits the heavens by the same laws as the stars. When we marshal our forces to combat resistance, we must remember this.
Ejg

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program