The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - November 2023 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - November 2023 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:35 am

NOVEMBER 2023 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for Time & Adherence:
The Behavioral Path to MWL Success

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
Some of Jeff Novick's Quick and Easy Recipes
Jeff's Simple Recipes on Facebook
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes (or broth for those who don't like tomatoes)
1- 14 oz Can No Salt Added Beans (which is about 1.5 - 2 cups)
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
**optional - 1/2 cup Frozen Greens
1.5 to 2 cups of a *Cooked* Starch
~1 tbsp. Salt Free, Dried Seasoning/Spice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Can You Really Eat As Much As You Want?
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Finding The Sweet Spot: Balancing Calorie Density, Nutrient Density & Satiety
Calorie Density & Satiety In Action
Is long time adherence really possible?
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - November 2023 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:36 am

Here is the new thread for the month of November! Let's make the most of it and have an awesome month.
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:34 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Some days

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes, not an issue here

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).some days, still a lot of lifting and moving stuff around

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week,
it was a non eventful week, I still could do better following the steps while de cluttering.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:20 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

This week the cravings and the environment got me. It really all came down to giving into the first craving though, then Halloween candy and treats were too strong a pull for me. However I am back on track now.
Rebecka22

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:37 pm

November 3, 2023

Hello Everyone, I have missed not reporting in most of the summer. I am home and getting back on track.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
YES

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
YES

YES

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
YES

YES

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
NO, I snacked on some cereal. :(

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
YES

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
NO…. still can’t find the FULL cue….. Until I am OVERFULL!!!

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
YES Back to the pickleball court and walking. Enjoying the last few days of the fall before winter sets in.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Happy to be back reporting, and planning. I didn’t participate in Halloween this year, therefore had NO candy in the house. YAY!!! Last year on Nov 1, I fully committed to MWL and I’m happy to say, I maintained 16 of the 20 pound loss I had until Nov 1 this year. And that was even through the holidays. SO….. I KNOW it can be done. Recommitted on Nov 1st to make that happen again this year. So off we go. Hope everyone is doing well, and had a good summer.
Take Care…..
Hjklost55

Postby Gimmelean » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:32 pm

Post for week ending 11/03/23

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
No. See comments below. Halloween is not gonna get me this year. A few pieces of candy here and there usually leads to a huge lapse for the entire season for me, but it has ended.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
No. See comments below.

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
No. See comments below.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Lots and lots of walking. Up to 10 miles per day a few days. Have been easing back to group fitness classes and some weight training as my hamstring heals.

Victories,Comments,Concerns,Questions:

Greetings everyone. I missed two weeks of posting due to travel and family and just now settling back in to day-to-day reality. I was (quietly and only because my husband saw “ the look”and made me behave) shocked at what others considered normal eating. I have to admit that I went astray a bit with nuts, candy, and snacks along with the group but was craving adherence every step of the way. I never lost sight of what I should have been doing, so this time it was just a 3 day challenge to fully get back on track after company left and I went back to work. Fortunately I did not gain weight but that is not the only measure that’s important. Here’s what helped:
I had the best authentic vegetarian Cuban black beans at a block party last week and asked for the recipe which was happily shared. I just eliminated the salt and oil and did a water sauté for the sofrito. Mark, I also cooked collard greens but this time cooked the daylights out of them. They were so good. Each night I had a bowl for dinner with a grain, a bean, and greens ready to heat up. Very filling and I never got tired of it. It’s going to be my routine until I do. I also used the pot liquor for meal starters, and it was especially good when it got cold outside.
My neighbors just left me a box of ripe persimmons from their tree, so I’m having one right now for dessert.
Have a good week ahead everyone. We have so much in common with our challenges and springing back. Be careful of seasons eatings. The light at the end of that tunnel is an oncoming train!
Gimmelean

Postby Artista » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:40 am

Hello Time & Adherence Peeps

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  Most of the time.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Most of the time

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Reduced salt, eliminated sugar.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). No. I was in a situation where I was away from home, doing a lot of physical work, and didn’t want to stop to eat. I got too hungry and ended up reaching for some high calorie-dense food.

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No, see #5.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes. I walk every day, also do physical therapy exercises for my shoulder and just started with some strength-building exercises.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I see that I need to plan better, especially when I’m away from home or in different circumstances from usual. I was with my siblings and we were working on cleaning out my mom’s house. They weren’t stopping for lunch and so I was putting off preparing my own lunch. I need to do a better job of paying attention to how hungry I am and stopping when I need to eat. I get hungry more often when I’m following MWL and I’m still adjusting to that. I appreciate the accountability that this group provides me, also the perseverance I see in the people participating here. I noticed it was harder for me to stay on track once I had “blown it”. I’m inspired by the people who continue to show up here even when it’s not going great.
Artista

Postby wstokes » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:01 am

I'm racing to join this group and make this week's deadline...
Lost 0.1 lbs

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. 50%

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 50%

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 50%

6) Eliminate any added oil. yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 70%

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 50%

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

lots of guests this past week...expect better control next week
wstokes

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:52 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

We had our first snow of the season in Chicagoland on Halloween. It snowed a few times during the day --- even had to brush my car after pickleball. Felt bad for the trick or treaters as the temperature dropped to about 30 degrees and had been in the 70’s a couple of times the prior week. So, we had zero come to our house --- and now have many individual bags of pretzels that I will bring into work on Monday.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly – still roughly 2/3 of the time.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. In addition to my standard oats, brown rice, beans corn potatoes --- I made a great “dump ingredients in the crockpot soup” – Great Northern beans, tomatoes, carrots, onion, rice --- was delicious. Also, have discovered squash – and love how it looks so festive! Have just baked them in the oven and added a bit of salt and pepper.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. No starving or stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Mostly. Took a couple of rest days this week that my body was telling me were needed. I have 2 tournaments coming up next week for pickleball – should be a lot of fun! Have completed 4 weeks (in a row) of strength training and intending to keep this habit. Feeling stronger already as evidenced by being able to progress to heavier weights and plank for longer.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Mark – love how you started out with making this an awesome November! Yes!!! Let’s all do that!!

Bambi – awesome how you continue decluttering! I bet your home is looking fabulous. Going to use your positive energy here to get myself in gear over the holidays.

Rebecka – I find that same thing that once you open the Pandora’s box, it is easy to double down on the crap. Yay, that you are back on track.

Holly – Great to see you back here!!!

Gimmelean – We missed you! I love what you said --- “Halloween is not gonna get me this year… it has ended.” Think this is a great thought for all of us as we get into the holidays.

Artista – I am 100% with you on needing to be very conscious of my hunger when in different environments and to be ready with MWL foods. Love that we all of this forum to learn and share and thinking that learning how we respond in different scenarios is so valuable.

Wstokes – Hi! Good to see a new face!

Was excited to celebrate 2.5 years on this program this week. I had soup (split pea), salad (with rice, beans, corn, veggies, fruit), fruit (mango!), and potatoes --- lots of good food! Am feeling very committed to keeping on with this pattern of eating. I still feel fantastic!

Thanks Mark, Wildgoose, Jeff, and fellow participants for this group --- it is quite helpful!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:06 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for November 3

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:57 pm

BambiS - :D I will say it again, an uneventful week is usually a good week! What areas do you feel like would most benefit from greater focus with your intention of further progress with the recommendations? In my experience, choosing a few specific actions to take in support of progress can be really useful. Keep making your best effort, and don't forget to enjoy all that newly-tidied space!

Rebecka22 - Kudos to you for finishing the week back on track! A prompt return to adherence is always beneficial. I think the experience you describe will feel familiar for many of us in the group; so often, yielding to a craving can feel like starting a snowball rolling down hill. Do you feel like any particular situation or sequence of events precipitated that initial detour? Of course, as you observed, the environment that accompanies Halloween rarely makes adherence easier. I applaud you for taking stock of what was happening, renewing your focus, and making a return to your previous pattern of adherence. Keep it up!

Hjklost55 - Big congratulations for maintaining SO MUCH of the progress you made over the past year! And for your commitment to continuing that progress in the year ahead. I can imagine how taking a pass on Halloween made for a home environment more in alignment with that goal. :nod: I'm sure you will hone in on that sensation of "comfortably full" as you continue to practice the recommendations. Off we go, indeed! :D

Gimmelean - Huzzah! Glad you have made your return! Seasonal events and holidays (not to mention travel, visitors and social events) can certainly make the path "off track" look smooth, comfortable, and easy, right? That path is always a well-worn one; I share your shocked reaction to what is considered "normal" for our society. As you observed, putting in the effort and focus to ensure that a brief lapse doesn't progress to a months-long relapse is paramount. Collard greens! My favorite - I cook them until they are really soft, too. YUM!
Gimmelean wrote:The light at the end of that tunnel is an oncoming train!
:lol: That made me laugh out loud! Onward!

Artista - I applaud your well-considered and thorough self-assessment, Nancy! Facing these sorts of challenges and obstacles, sometimes stumbling, BUT learning from the stumbles - that is how we make real progress. I, and many others I expect, identify with your experience of things feeling more difficult after having "blown it". That is one of the reasons I try to frame my own efforts in terms of a "prevailing pattern of behavior across time"; instead of a pass/fail or win/lose, it is more like a average rolling forward. From my perspective, you are one of those people modeling perseverance and dedication. Carry on!

wstokes - Great to see you posting again! Guests can certainly complicate one's efforts to practice the recommendations. Do you have any specific things you want to do to support your progress in the week ahead? The more you can arrange your environment to make adherence feel easy, the better. Do the best you can and have a great week!

VegSeekingFit - Woo-hoo! 2.5 years! That is wonderful, Stephanie! Your "dump ingredients in the crockpot soup" sounds really tasty, and I have been loving the seasonal squash, too. Delicata is my favorite, but I really love them all. I think you are wise to listen to the signals from your body in regard to activity level. Happy to know that the strength training has been a success. Hooray for that feeling of commitment, and for feeling fantastic! :D
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:08 pm

To everyone who showed up and participated this week, whether it felt natural or was a struggle, you have my utmost admiration and esteem! Consistently showing up, being accountable, and assessing our progress in practicing the recommended pattern of behavior is the bedrock foundation of our program.

From my perspective, one of the most useful steps to take to build from practice and self-assessment is thoughtful analysis followed by specific action. In other words, based on self-assessment, what areas require focus, what things do I need to change, what should I do differently, or what particular actions should I take to support my progress. Considering the answers to those questions, and taking direct action in response to them can make a BIG difference.

So, what say you? What actions are you taking to make the week ahead a success? :)

Awesome November here we come! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Hope everyone had an awesome week! This week, I actually met a kindred spirit (for this way of eating) --- who I know through Saturday pickleball matches, but didn’t know he ate only plants! After a club tournament, we all went out to lunch and based on what he ordered, I asked him if he was a vegetarian. He said --- “I am a vegan --- do you know what that is?”… :lol: We talked about Forks Over Knives and The China Study --- so thought this was really cool --- and he knew of Dr. McDougall and was interested in what I had to say on the 12-day on-line program. :D

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly – continues to be about 2/3 of the time.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Favorites this week were oatmeal and fruit (especially banana, mango, cherries), rice / corn / beans salad with fruit and veggies, and whole wheat spaghetti with veggies and tomato sauce.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. No starving or stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Mostly. Again, had a couple of rest days – plantar fasciitis ramps up with pickleball playing. The good news is that I found an amazing pair of shoes that seem to be really helping to minimize it (will continue to test these). Did pretty well and had a blast at this week’s two tournaments. Will have 2 months off of Pickle Spears before it starts again – will have to find something else to do on Tuesday evenings in the meantime!
Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Mark – On your question last week --- “What actions are you taking to make the week ahead a success?”, here are my thoughts.

I am giddily getting ready to go on vacation! I am super excited as I haven’t really gone anywhere since COVID. I am also a bit apprehensive of the food (and drink) environment since we are going on a cruise --- which many folks do for one endless feast.

Several months ago, I asked here for suggestions and Wildgoose and you both provided some great thoughts – in addition to JeffN’s traveling tips. I also read Stacy Cross’ article on McD’s website and talked to Tiffany (support specialist). So, lots of helpful input!!! Then, I spent some time thinking about how I could best apply this information to my scenario and put together a plan.

I talked to my “cruise consultant” who gave me some tips for when I board and updated their records with my dietary requirements. She assured me that the cruise line will be “delighted” to meet my needs. I know where I can always find fresh fruit, veggies, steamed rice, oatmeal on the ship. Also, I will be bringing some food to supplement – oatmeal and thermos (thanks, WG) and some McD Split Pea soup cups --- so no need to be hungry. I have also visualized how I can best avoid both the Pleasure Trap and the Ego Trap.

I probably erred on the side of overthinking this, but I am feeling quite positive about being able to travel and follow the checklist. For me, I think having a coherent plan and having a positive mindset will be key factors for success. I will plan to stick to my plan!!! And if anything isn’t per plan, to dust off and get back on plan. Pretty confident it will work out fine.

Wishing the group a great and successful week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:53 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I got back on track this week. It was a good week and I was successful at planning healthy snacks for the days I had extra meetings which helped me stay the course. I hope everyone has a great week.
Rebecka22

Postby BambiS » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:36 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some days

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Some days

Yes

Yes, not an issue here

Yes

Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).some days, still a lot of lifting and moving stuff around

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week,
it was another non eventful week, I was better prepared making instant pot meals. I’m going through the kitchen now, using up foods.
BambiS

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program