The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2024 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - January 2024 Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:41 pm

a-great-hunger wrote:Mark, I am a silent lurker, practicing the principles of MWL (with varying levels of success) and one of the things that I've found extremely helpful is your MWL journal with pictures of your meals. The visual representation was extremely helpful in understanding the MWL system.
I was a "silent lurker" on these boards for a long time, myself. :) I'm really happy to know that you found my journal to be of use for you.

a-great-hunger wrote:One of my personal struggles is feeling unsatisfied with meals, so I end up overeating calories - even though I'm full on low calorie density foods, my brain doesn't feel satisfied with that amount of food, so I end up reaching for starch even though I don't really need it.
From my perspective, it can be especially key to be sure to include an adequate volume of starch with each meal when faced with this feeling of being unsatisfied. Two posts that come to mind in this regard - here and here.

a-great-hunger wrote:Ah, well, it's a process! I will find my way eventually.
Indeed it is, and yes, you will. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:38 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes, lots of water

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful

It was another good week. Tried new recipes. I’m feeling much better
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:58 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

It was a solid week. Nothing special to report. Feeling good and happy I don’t turn to food for stress as a first choice anymore as work this week added a lot of unnecessary stress. In response to last week’s question, I have no suggestions, I really value this group, which is why I have stayed so long. I hope everyone has a great week.
Rebecka22

Postby Starflower » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:22 am

Hi MWL team! :)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

It was a very good week. I missed exercise one day when I was very tired. Staying completely on plan for a couple of weeks has made me feel a lot better. I can’t say I didn’t expect that, but I’m still amazed at my results. I have no desire to try any other program again. I think I’ve tried them all, lol. This one is the most effective and sustainable, hands down. Onward! :)

Mark, in answer to your questions, I can’t think of any changes. My hope is to see this group grow and thrive throughout 2024. It’s already a great place to be. Thank you to you and Wildgoose and Jeff for all that you do! :)

Wishing everyone a wonderful and healthy week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby rlechols » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 pm

Hello Time and Adherence Team!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, 7/7

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes, 7/7

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes, 7/7

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes, 7/7

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes, 7/7

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes, 7/7

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 6/7

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, 7/7

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, 7/7

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes, 7/7

Very good week for me. Did better on exercise daily, staying away from high calorie density items (not perfect, but close!). No weight loss this week, despite doing so well, but I'm really only needing to lose abt 10 lbs, so the last bit is alwaya a struggle. I do wonder if the 10 lbs I picked up last year might be partially due to my active weight lifting (more muscle) so if I continue following MWL for some time and nothing comes off I will eventually come to the conclusion that it won't because I am where I need to be. I will be patient and time will tell I guess.
rlechols

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 am

MWL Post for week ending 1/26/24
Hello! Almost February????

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
No- some nuts

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
No- some bread - not much. I feel so much better eating whole grains. It took a long time to realize, understand, and educate myself about the difference in “carbs” and why whole wheat bread and wheat berries are not MWL equals for success although they may come from the same source.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. This was a particularly busy week. I was NOT motivated to go to the gym at all after work which always picks me up. I did yoga at home daily and walked. Not the same but still a yes.

11)Posting before the close of the week
Yes

Victories,Comments,Concerns,Questions:

8 yes/ 2 no last week
8 yes/2 no this week
I will focus on eliminating nuts this week by keeping a snack container only for this purpose in the front of my fridge with veggies I don’t typically pack for lunch.

Have a good week everyone.
Gimmelean

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:40 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Happy weekend! Here is my week in review.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Some – 13/21. I really would have estimated this at more (but I actually counted them). Would like to do a bit better here.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes. Thank you, Mark for sharing the veggie sushi clip (which was great with the detail)!! I am going to order some supplies this week to give it a go.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
I think so.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
6/7. I have a harder time in the cold dark getting myself out of the house to move (it is no problem in the nicer months – I am usually chomping at the bit). I am really happy to be moving once I have started.

Mark, on your question last week --- I think that this group is the best thread on the internet! I hope for 2024 we can continue to practice healthy habits, learn, and share in this space. In addition to providing an uplifting, supportive, and educational environment --- I feel that the structure of this group provides an important framework and methodology for self-assessment which we can all take forward to optimize our health.

Thank you so much to you, Jeff, and Wildgoose for all that you do to support this community ❤️ . I also appreciate fellow members of the group – we’re all in this together!

Wishing everyone a fantastic upcoming week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:43 am

Happy Saturday to all!

I've had a rough go this week. Me and 2 of my 3 kids are sick.

I'm starting to feel a little better. We are still managing high temps with my youngest.

I've lost 7.4lbs this week :shock: which is basically terrible. I have no appetite, can barely eat. Even my default of drinking protein (just not waste away) has been challenging.

I ordered groceries and bought Dr. McDougall's Split Pea soup. I think I will try it today. Hot tea is the only thing I can really stand.

Open to any other suggestions!

My fear: When I weighed myself on Friday (my usual weigh day) my scale said, "CONGRATULATIONS! You've met your goal weight." At this point, I've dipped under my goal. This is definitely NOT the way I want to lose weight...at all. I am caught between now thinking it's prob best to force myself to eat and the reality of gaining weight as I fully recover. It was not a good feeling to see I met my goal weight, this week. I just worry somehow my mind will struggle to accept that gaining weight right now is best. I logically know where I am is not normal...this week has not been normal. I am sick. I don't want that to get confusing for someone who has desperately tried to lose just 1lb a week through behavior modification and exercise. Hope that makes sense...

Thanks for your continued support, Mark!

-Chesca

*p.s. I hate I wasn't able to post last week, before I got sick. It was an awesome week for reporting. I got caught up in my teen daughter's birthday weekend and missed the deadline :crybaby:
CUgorji22

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:17 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:21 pm

BambiS - Another excellent week! I'm delighted that you are feeling so much better. If you trial any new recipes that turn out to be favorites, let us know about them here. Keep it up! :D

Rebecka22 - That definitely does seem like a solid week! :nod: Being more comfortable and capable in managing stress must feel very good, indeed. Thanks for responding to the question (suggestions or no), and thank you for your very kind words. Have an amazing week!

Starflower - Fantastic! It is amazing how much better we can feel when practicing this pattern of behavior consistently, right? That has absolutely been my experience, too. (Including the sense of amazement.) Thank you for your reply to last week's question and your positive sentiments. I share your hope for the group in 2024. Onward!

rlechols - Based on your self-assessment, It looks like you are making great progress, Rachel! I think your intuition that, with patience, "where I need to be" will be revealed over time is correct. This post from wildgoose, and the posts from Jeff here and here may offer further insight. Carry on!

Gimmelean - Solid efforts! And kudos to you for having a well-considered plan for adherence that includes specific tactics and actions to support those solid efforts. Valuable observation about how foods that have the same "origin" may work quite differently with regard to overconsumption, depending on water content, the status of fiber, degree of processing, and what might be added or subtracted on the way to our plates. :!: Ever onward!

VegSeekingFit - SNOOPY! :D Your progress continues.
VegSeekingFit wrote:Thank you, Mark for sharing the veggie sushi clip (which was great with the detail)!! I am going to order some supplies this week to give it a go.
Glad you found that helpful, Stephanie; best of luck and let us know how it goes. I totally agree with your observations about how it can feel challenging to get moving in the cold, dark early mornings, AND that it feels pretty great after getting "revved up." Thanks for responding to the question, for your kind regards, and especially for your thoughtful assessment of the structure and approach of the group. Cheers!

CUgorji22 - I'm so sorry you and your family have been having such a rough time, Chesca! Being ill is never a fun time, and I can only imagine what that would be like with 2 sick kids, as well. Best wishes for both your kids, especially that the little one's fever subsides, and may you continue to feel a little better each day. I know you know this already, but I want to acknowledge that, as a layperson, I am not qualified to offer medical advice, and I would encourage you (and any other group participants) to consult their doctor or other health care advisors when that feels appropriate. I really appreciate your bravery, self-insight, and honesty in sharing the fears you've been experiencing. To speak to them from my personal perspective and experience, I can say that when I was hospitalized near the end of 2020, I lost a similar amount of weight over an equally short period of time, which put me well into the underweight category and it was scary. :nod: Happily, once I was out of the hospital I was able to reattain a healthy BMI simply by resuming my regular practice of MWL. I had been at a particular point of equilibrium before, and given some time and the same prevailing pattern of behavior, I arrived at that same balance point. So I want to recognize that the concerns you are feeling seem like a natural and understandable reaction to the situation, but I would encourage you to just focus on doing what you are able to feel better and recover from this illness, which I would imagine includes eating the nutritious foods that you can stomach, and then address any other potential issues once you feel in a better position to do so. I hope that all makes sense. Take care, feel better, seek medical advice if that is appropriate, and please lean on the group if you have further questions, concerns, or just need to express things! :)
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:29 pm

My goodness! That brings January to a close. Many thanks to all our participants for making a GREAT start to 2024!

I will post a new thread for February on Monday, and I hope I will see all of you there, along with any other like-minded seekers and friends, old or new.

To close out this week, I thought I would share this post from MikeyG; it isn't specifically about MWL, but I think it serves as an excellent welcome and introduction to the McDougall program and the discussion board. You might find it a useful place to direct newcomers or other acquaintances that are curious about the program.

May the week ahead be joyful and filled with success! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:21 pm

Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes, lots of water

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes

It was another good week, eating was 100%.
I bought some new workout gear. I hydrate, then workout first thing in the morning.

I knew I had to get more flexible and healthier when I was grocery shopping over the holidays. Something I needed was on the bottom shelf in the back, I had a hard time getting up.

Last year I got caught in the pleasure trap at times. I didn’t address how to handle the stress of being a caregiver. I didn’t take the time to care for myself.
BambiS

Postby BambiS » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:38 am

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes

Another great week, I measured and lost 11 inches in January.

One of the recipes I tried , I left out fenugreek , fennel, and black cumin seeds, I didn’t have any. I also just used green lentils. I also just put all in instant pot. It still was quite tasty.

Indian Lentil Stew

1 1/2 cups dry yellow split peas
1/2 cup dry red lentils
1 cup brown rice
8 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups diced red onion
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons whole coriander
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 teaspoons black cumin seeds (optional but so good)
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons fenugreek (check Amazon if your store doesn't carry it)
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
1 teaspoons ground black pepper
lime juice, for garnish

Rinse your yellow peas, lentils, and rice in a colander for a minute. Meanwhile, place broth in a large pot and add onion, ginger, garlic and spices. Turn the pot to medium-high heat.
Add in the rinsed grains and stir. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cover.
Check the kitchari every 15 minutes, adding more broth or water as needed. Stir to prevent sticking.
Cook over low heat for approximately one hour.
When finished, ladle into bowls and add a squeeze of lime. Hot sauce is also a good addition
BambiS

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program